As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Asheron's Call: Nine Years of Killing Olthoi

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I am seriously considering giving this a for shits run, but would there be anyone else to romp around with? NOONE I played with (and I didnt really know anyone then anyway, and I was in BLOOD) is still there, and I dont know if I would dig the whole run around alone ordeal.

Kai_San on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Try the IGN vnboards; lots of people still post there, ask if there's anyone who remembers you.

citizen059 on
  • littwentythreelittwentythree Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You have to macro on DT if you want to compete.

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Blood, that allegiance name brings back some memories.

Seg on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Man, even us non PK people on white servers knew about Blood. Often times that's all you knew about DT.

That's how much of an impact they had. ;)

citizen059 on
  • TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    I miss the level one starter town royal rumbles when Leafcull would go down.

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    TDL wrote: »
    I miss the level one starter town royal rumbles when Leafcull would go down.

Oh god that was fantastic. I could never play Darktide seriously though, but dicking around on level 1s whenever a server went down was entertaining.

I remember one time I tried to play on Darktide, Back when the old tutorial portal was restricted to level 1 characters, someone had buffed a level 1 character with level 7s, and they sat inside the tutorial dungeon killing level 1s trying to hide from the higher level characters outside. I always found the newb camping bad no matter where I started, back when there were 9 starting cities even.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
    edited September 2007
    And I most likely killed you at some time or another then :D. I used to camp the newbie areas for fun and to here the rampant bitchings from people about how thier char on XXX server would rape me.... if it were on darktide. (and if it were it would prolly still be level 1 ^_^ )

Eventually a higher level would come, and I might kill them and get some DIs. Or die and get the hell out.

Kai_San on
    edited September 2007
    The comic/game store I used to go to in Edmonton was run by a guy who played on Darktide. (He had a Life/MagicD specced mage before Turbine changed Drain Health.) My brother rolled up a character on Darktide to become a vassal of this guy. So this guy took my brother to the dungeon for the Atlan Sword frost stone. And proceeded to debuff stuff so my brother could kill it in very few hits. After about an hour of that some guys from some other Allegiance came by the dungeon, and the next hour or so involved my brother, another lowbie being PLed, and the guys babysitting them fighting off 5 or 6 other guys at the portal. (One of the attackers lost a pre-patch Olthoi Helm during all of that.)

Well turns out the guy who was helping my brother was in Blood. (So my brothers character also had the Blood tag.) And the people who were attacking the dungeon decided to start a thread on the Blood forum, turns out the guy who was helping my brother was notorious for being a drain bitch, and general pain in the neck.

Was a lot of good laughs.

Seg on
  • SophismataSophismata Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Sophismata wrote: »
    Could somebody explain this 'projectile' craziness? Please? ;p

Unlike games like WOW, where when you shoot a spell/arrow it basically always reaches its target in some form and either hits/misses based on numbers, in AC projectiles had a set direction from launch. And they could be dodged. Its like a little bit of FPS, but not so much.

So if you shot say an arrow, it would shoot relatively quick toward where someone was 'going' to be. If you were slick, and far enough away, you could fake out the arrow and dodge it. The same held true for magic, but there were different kinds of bolt pathing. One would be the same as arrows but much slower, one much faster, one that went exactly where you were and not going to be.

I must say, having never seen the second expasion (the one that completely rewrote the code so the game was not an ancient husk) I am very interested to give it a look. But I am also afraid to taint what was a perfect game in my eyes.

Thanks!

Sophismata on
  • AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The monthly updates to the story and overall world was the best thing ever. Arwic (I think?) being absolutely wrecked by the Shadows and their Spires will be forever ingrained into my mind, especially since I started the game about a month ago and actually visited the town pre-destruction. God those were the days, especially Fragment hunting and getting Atlans.

I had a little 'static' with my relatives, and all 4 of us mages would dress up in some blue robe with red metal chest plates and the Pris-fucking-matic Helm of awesome (It was a white shell helm with a mohawk of 4 different colours to represent the 250 Resistance it gave to 4 elements, like I said, AWESOME). I dont think anyone ever forgot what we looked like, we were the only ones to look past the wackyness of the helm and used it for the defense ratings.

I was in Morningthaw too, it was a good server, and I remember Elder apparently reaching max Monarchy rank 10 first out of all the servers. :^:

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
    edited September 2007
    Seg wrote: »
    The comic/game store I used to go to in Edmonton was run by a guy who played on Darktide. (He had a Life/MagicD specced mage before Turbine changed Drain Health.) My brother rolled up a character on Darktide to become a vassal of this guy. So this guy took my brother to the dungeon for the Atlan Sword frost stone. And proceeded to debuff stuff so my brother could kill it in very few hits. After about an hour of that some guys from some other Allegiance came by the dungeon, and the next hour or so involved my brother, another lowbie being PLed, and the guys babysitting them fighting off 5 or 6 other guys at the portal. (One of the attackers lost a pre-patch Olthoi Helm during all of that.)

Well turns out the guy who was helping my brother was in Blood. (So my brothers character also had the Blood tag.) And the people who were attacking the dungeon decided to start a thread on the Blood forum, turns out the guy who was helping my brother was notorious for being a drain bitch, and general pain in the neck.

Was a lot of good laughs.

This brings back very painful memories. I quit my first main in frusteration after losing a prepatch Olthoi helm. How shitty would it be if I was one of those guys.

MY friend in school wanted to make a guild of "the scotts" where every char had the last name scott. I think his was Raging Scott. One was Flaming Scott. Thunder Scott ect.

Mine was Great Scott.

Kai_San on
    edited September 2007
    Now I understand why Olthoi and Mages don't mix.

Man, those guys attack fast.

I didn't die, but the guy I was working with did. I had to call in reinforcements from the allegiance for the recovery. No way we'd have gotten back there ourselves for it. ;)

(Level 35 & 36 mages in Olthoi Horde Nest vs. Nobles and Eviscerators)

citizen059 on
  • blackdegreeblackdegree Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If I recall correctly, a large part of the damage is to your hands. Get the best gauntlets possible, and buff the shit out of them.

blackdegree on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    And use collision detection to your advantage, get into a corner so only 4 or 5 max can attack you at a time.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited September 2007
    35/36 against Nobles and Evisc? Geez

edit: I remember going into OHN against Workers and Soldiers but I forget what level I was.

Seg on
    edited September 2007
    AC had already suffered heavilly from mudflation before I left. It becamse possible to go toe to toe with things you could only dream of at higher levels much lower now.

Mostly because of buffbots, but still.

Kai_San on
    edited September 2007
    Kai_San wrote: »
    AC had already suffered heavilly from mudflation before I left. It becamse possible to go toe to toe with things you could only dream of at higher levels much lower now.

Mostly because of buffbots, but still.

So very many characters already had life and creature magic when I was playing, that buffbots were mainly to help your low level characters solo up to the point where they could cast their own level 7s.

Septus on
    edited September 2007
    I know all of this, but I also remember that mages even with 7s on, took so many hits from Olthoi that trying to take on Nobles at 35/36 is a bit much.

Try one of the matron dungeons, not sure which one would be appropriate but there are 4 tiers of them, and one of them should be worth doing at those levels for mages. Or Lair of Death.

They took the level requirement off of the Lugian Citadels, but put Hollow Weapons on some of them.

Of course heading to Monkey Island and finding the right Tusker dungeon for you would probably be quicker and easier experience. I forget what the name is.

Seg on
    edited September 2007
    Aphus Lassel!(in crazy promotional voice)

Septus on
    edited September 2007
    That is the place, I was away from the game for a few months when they released that. (My account was still active, but I wasn't in a situation where I could play.)

Once I got there though, my favorite place for the first several months was that Silver Tusker dungeon. Also joining my guilds exp chain really helped me level up.

Seg on
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    wow AC is still going? i beta'd that shit like 20 years ago or somthing? ;o

fadingathedges on
    edited September 2007
    wow AC is still going? i beta'd that shit like 20 years ago or somthing? ;o

Close it went live in sept 99 if I remember right.

edit: Also UO and EQ, which both came out before AC, are also being played.

Seg on
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, I've found a couple of Tusker dungeons on Alphus Lassel that work great for XP grinding...but I'm an ex-melee and Olthoi are my friends. Well, they were. And by friends I mean I killed a lot of them.

Plus AL is so annoying to get to until you have the recall spell, or farm gems.

citizen059 on
    edited September 2007
    citizen059 wrote: »
    Yeah, I've found a couple of Tusker dungeons on Alphus Lassel that work great for XP grinding...but I'm an ex-melee and Olthoi are my friends. Well, they were. And by friends I mean I killed a lot of them.

Actually, I forget where is the perma-Tusker Temple at for your level? Might be worthwhile to grind in there for awhile.

Seg on
    edited September 2007
    Seg wrote: »
    citizen059 wrote: »

Actually, I forget where is the perma-Tusker Temple at for your level? Might be worthwhile to grind in there for awhile.

It's NW of Holtburg.

Not really worthwhile, as it's mostly low level stuff. I have to kill some of them to get through; the place is so thick with 'em that it's hard to just run past them to the tusker shrine that takes you to the island. Usually I wind up getting stuck at a chokepoint and have to fight my way through.

I've been using Tusker Abode (level 20+, Tusker Redeemers @ L61) for most of my tusker grinding. Roughly 11k-12k per kill, and with a fire rend wand and Fire Bolt V, they drop in two hits. I'm averaging 2.2m xp an hour there.

I'll move up to the next one soon, I think that one has Tusker Liberators @ L70...but they resisted too much last time. My War Magic skill has increased quite a bit since then, though. I bumped it up to I think 240 base/300 buffed to take on the Nobles & Eviscerators @ OHN, and they still resist a lot.

citizen059 on
    edited September 2007
    How about the new islands, the one where the blue people start, what level is the lowest dungeon for the timed collectables? (Pincers with ML, Tusks on AL, Jaws(?) from those chompie dudes.)

Seg on
    edited September 2007
    You should be in the olthoi matron hives leveling up, stupids.

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    so what server are you guys on?

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Damn, AC still going? Fond memories of Beta and what not, watching the Comet getting closer and closer, and everyone still trying to figure out how to do this and that. I'm in between MMO's currently, and hurm.. might just have to give this a go and see how it feels.

What server is everyone on? If we get enough people might as well start up something.

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
    edited September 2007
    I play on Morningthaw.

I'm not sure if anyone else actually plays.

citizen059 on
    edited September 2007
    I'd screw around with a few people on Darktide, if anyone feels like it. We wouldn't be any type of fighting force, but it'd be funny for the time it lasted.

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
    edited October 2007
    Just an update - I'm still playing & having fun, amazingly enough...I remembered my old account info and Turbine was able to successfully recover my account, so I was able to get my L101 axeman back. I'll be working on levelling him some, as well as my old archer. I'll probably start a mage, too. ;)

citizen059 on
    edited October 2007
    I just wanted to post this to point out that this is why I love AC. Through it all, Turbine continues to tell a great story.

The "feature" quest this month revolves around Claude the Archmage...a virindi NPC who acted as the archmage at Ayan Baqur. He'd gone missing, and now he's returned...but changed. His fellow virindi Leopold says that there's something wrong with Claude's mind, and that he cannot understand it, and asks you to fix it.

The quest to do this involves handing some kind of magic dust to a tumerok, who throws it into a magic fire causing a "vision" that takes you and your fellowship into the mind of Claude the virindi, on a quest to find out what has changed.

During this process you meet various aspects of Claude during his existence, as well as witness a pivotal moment in the history of AC...the meeting between Asheron and the various other factions involved in forming the plan to bring down Bael'zheron the Hopeslayer.

The whole thing is amazingly well done, and plays out like some sort of journey into a cryptic dream...or nightmare.

image.php?ss=10406

This is what I mean when I say that other MMO's don't capture me. It's the story of AC that keeps me entertained more than anything...I truly care about the events in the game. They don't just strike me as "filler" meant to give bored players something else to do.

citizen059 on
  • crotch_lobstercrotch_lobster Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    AC is my favorite game of all the time, also the most profitable.

I wound up selling my Thistledown account for a few hundred bucks, after probably 2 years of playing, quit for a while (I'm not sure how long). Then I decided to start playing again, on Darktide, when I met a guy who would give me shadow armor once I reached a certain level while sworn to him.

Once I had MSA (medium shadow armor, doesn't drop on death which is a huge plus on Darktide) on my level 30 mage on Darktide (I was in Circle of Arms, under Xanthro) I was totally hooked, both to leveling him up as far as I could and to all the PvP AC had to offer (mostly 1v1 duels and large scale brawls).

One random thing I remember really enjoying about DT was always being able to recall to the Sanctuary and find a fight there, or atleast something going on.

Our clan's hometown was Sawato, a very out of the way town portal-wise, and we'd get constantly raided by Blood and other PKs, they really hated us haha. Being able to contribute more to Sawato's defense as I leveled up felt really good, all the way up until I could go toe-to-toe with a high level PK and win some of the time!

I have alot of really good, fun memories from this game, its almost a scary amount, scary in the sense that those memories make me want to play again. I haven't played for a year+, and I know it'll never be the same, but all those memories just calllllll to me.

If anyone would need some help on Darktide I could certainly re-sub for a little while and help out, I have some lower-level chars on other random servers, too, but I don't remember where.

crotch_lobster on
  • GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    I should cancel wow and play this again I loved it so much.

Grath on
  • crotch_lobstercrotch_lobster Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I tried to play WoW, but it was my 2nd MMO ever, after AC obviously, and I was really put off by the fact that "mages" in WoW couldn't buff every stat/skill of everyone/themselves eventually.

Its a spoiled way to think, but since AC was my first MMO and I played it for soooo looong I was really used to that ability, however it doesn't seem like any other MMO devs, ever, have felt the same way about the buffing/magic mechanic.

The whole magic system in general in AC was done really well, in particular beta/launch because SplitPea wasn't invented yet, so people had to do actual spell research with components. My first character, a sword that got Item Magic at level 40ish, I self-researched up to level 5 spells, fizzling millions of times in the process. But the server population was so high back then that I'd be at a mana pool with a bunch of other people learning spells and we'd just be shootin the shit, talkin about hunting places and where we'd been and yadda yadda.

This game's social aspect was a really big part of what hooked me initially and kept me hooked. Maybe I'm looking at the past through rose colored glasses, but there was hardly any leet-speek/general idiocy on the carebear servers (Darktide was the opposite, with the exception of clans that were not Blood), atleast in the early days, it was just people lovin' the game and helping each other out.

My finger is practically hovering over the re-subscribe buttonD: But the truth is the experience of those early years can't be replicated.

crotch_lobster on
    edited October 2007

This game's social aspect was a really big part of what hooked me initially and kept me hooked. Maybe I'm looking at the past through rose colored glasses, but there was hardly any leet-speek/general idiocy on the carebear servers (Darktide was the opposite, with the exception of clans that were not Blood), atleast in the early days, it was just people lovin' the game and helping each other out.

My finger is practically hovering over the re-subscribe buttonD: But the truth is the experience of those early years can't be replicated.

Honestly, that's what kept me from going back.

The reason I re-subbed was because I wanted something I could play casually, knowing that if I were solo it wouldn't be a problem.

I've found that the community is still there, it's just smaller now. I still run into people at various levelling spots; right now my dagger/alchemist is levelling up, he hit 67 last night. In the dungeon I go to level at, I almost always find someone there, and usually we've built up a fellowship of three to six people before it's all over with.

I have an axe warrior who's level 103...three schooler now, casting level 6 spells to support his ax swinging ways. But I'm actually having more fun on my quirky Aluvian dagger guy...he's an alchemist, using the new alchemy grenades, which rock. They buff your thrown weapons skill by 500 when you hold them so they'll hit whatever you throw them at; when they hit they act like a life magic imperil/vuln, so you don't need life magic to debuff enemies. Very, very nice to have. I hit 325 base alchemy last night, so I can use the next to last level of them...they have a spellcraft of 400 so it's like casting as a mage @ 400 skill. At 375 alchemy I get the last level of them, and those use a spellcraft of 460.

It's been a lot more fun than I thought it would be, and nowhere near as lonely. I'm glad I resub'd.

citizen059 on
  • Johnney EightJohnney Eight Registered User new member
    edited October 2007
    AC was the greatest experience I've had online. I went back to Frostfell for a few months in the spring because I've had it with skill trees and classes. I wanted to play a character I designed that wasn't like anybody else. I only stopped because I realized I didn't have the time to devote to it anymore. But it was great to see the towns that have been destroyed since I left and the new content. Some of the changes were not good, at level 15 I ran to the Crater and was crushed by vapor golems. Some had me laughing off my chair, like the penquin dungeon. I felt like a junkie picking up the needle again the first time I killed a shadow. In my opinion AC is the game for those who want freedom to explore a great world with a thorough (original) backstory. I've played a lot of MMO but none were better than AC. (But CoH/CoV comes dam close.)

Johnney Eight on
    edited October 2007
    Fun little bit of drama over the weekend:

One of the players on my server (Shiek Yabuda), a member of the ACVault staff over at IGN/Vault network, discovered the existence of a secret test server for AC.

This server is used to test new content before it goes live, and is populated by a select group of players from the various servers. Through a glitch in forum security settings, Sheik was able to view this forum, as well as turbine-only developer forums, at the Turbine official forum site.

Well, he decided to post about it on the Vault Network forums. Specifically, he decided to copy and paste entire threads from the test forum.

This erupted into a firestorm of pure drama, with people from regular servers outraged that certain members of the community had "inside info" to new content...and players from the PvP server Darktide absolutely foaming at the mouth upon learning that non-PvP players were responsible for testing changes that affected PvP.

This resulted in the disclosure of the testers, who I'm sure are now being harassed on a daily basis ingame. It also resulted in some personal contact information from some of the devs being leaked.

It didn't take long for a response though. All related forum threads, both at the Turbine forums and at the VN forums, have been removed. All discussion about the topic is immediately locked and removed.

For his part in the process, Shiek took the full force of Turbine's ban hammer.

Not only was he "fired" by VN as a member of their staff, Turbine took the liberty of banning him from the forums at their site, as well as banning him from Asheron's Call.

Oh, but that's not all.

He also had active accounts with D&D Online, and LotRO.

Those got banned too.

The community on my server is reeling a bit at the moment, to say the least. Sheik was a respected member of the AC community, responsible for compiling all the new content information every month for the ACVault patch tree.

After one lapse in judgement, he is now perma-banned from all Turbine products and services.

Biggest ban hammer I've ever seen, I'll tell you that.

citizen059 on