As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Asheron's Call: Nine Years of Killing Olthoi

• seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    citizen059 wrote: »
    Fun little bit of drama over the weekend:

After one lapse in judgement, he is now perma-banned from all Turbine products and services.

Biggest ban hammer I've ever seen, I'll tell you that.

True thats a big ban hammer. I'm not sure that you can straight out call that a lapse in judgment. How would you react if after years of playing you'd found on out this sort of thing was going on? Who knows, maybe he tried to go through the proper channels and got stonewalled? At any rate, it'll be interesting to see if the game's population cannibalizes itself now, and whether or not it spills over into other games.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    IGN is the biggest bunch of cockchuggers to ever walk the face of the intertron. I got permabanned from there a long time ago because I made fun of some attention e-whore on the Darktide boards. I didn't even say anything super fucked up, I just implied that she was loose for having a bunch of kids in her teens and shacking up with some other AC nerd and spending all day either playing or posting on the boards.

I'm less e-hostile now, but compared to some of the shit that was posted to the Darktide boards that was fucking tame. I'm pretty sure I got banned because I actually was around for the great DT carebear mod revolt and I used to make fun of the cunt carebear mod that got put into the position of moderating the DT board. He was a little bitch and itching to get me out, I'm sure.

Good times.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • crotch_lobstercrotch_lobster Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Do you know if those threads ended up being screenshotted and mirrored anywhere?

I would hope that someone saw them and thought "this is not going to be here very much longer" and did a few quick printscreens, at least that's what I would do, I'm sure its not even that interesting whatever he copied over but still... prohibited = interesting.

Google search is yielding nothing... perhaps I should ask the IGN boards:P

crotch_lobster on
  • Pig DestroyerPig Destroyer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    stuff

Great thread.

Can't say that I blame Turbine one bit. This was an insanely idiotic move by a person that should have definitely known better.

As a former DT player (Joy of Villainy for lyfe and all that shiz), I can certainly share in some outrage that no one from Darktide is involved with the super seekrit goings on as they relate to PvP.

*sigh* I miss AC circa 2000...no game will beat those days for many years to come.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I re-subbed back in the spring and played on Solclaim to try and get used to the game again before jumping back into DT with my level 100+ Og Mage. I did have quite a bit of fun, and it makes me happy to see that the game is still around. The general chat channel was a bit of a shock, the shit we used to have to go through to try and get in-game guild chat was insane. Unfortunately the game didn't hold my interest past a month or so, I made level 50 with an Archer and started killing "Fens?" and just completely lost interest.

Pig Destroyer on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    In a time when the most succesful MMOs have their test servers available to the player base....

Seg on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    seabass wrote:
    I'm not sure that you can straight out call that a lapse in judgment. How would you react if after years of playing you'd found on out this sort of thing was going on? Who knows, maybe he tried to go through the proper channels and got stonewalled?

He openly admitted that after finding the forum and reading its contents, the first thing he did was go straight to VN because he felt that "people have a right to know".

Well, no, they don't. It's kept secret for very good reasons. I'd hate to be one of the testers right now, I'm sure they can't log in to their usual servers without getting a flood of /tells saying things like "hey man what new stuff is coming next month" and "OMG YOU F#@!ING TESTERS !$#%ING SUCK WHY DIDNT YOU CATCH THIS BUG YOU IDIOTS".

They're already being mocked on the forums for not catching a number of major bugs that went in with this month's patch.

Also, a lot of the testers are also Decal developers. This helps explain why they're able to get Decal updated so fast after a client update. One of the developers has posted on the VN forums commenting that the relationship between the AC devs and the community is a little more strained after this incident. He wouldn't give details, but he commented that updates may be a little more difficult now, so I'm not sure what's changed...but in terms of Decal it doesn't sound like this incident has been beneficial. (Unless you're one of the many who hate Decal and how it changed AC)

And I'm sure it doesn't do any favors for the community as a whole when it comes to the relationship with the developers. When parts of the community are flipping out over "OMG SECRET SERVER TURBINE HOW DARE YOU", and others are screaming "TESTERS HAVE INSIDE INFO WTF"...I know I certainly wouldn't want to be more open, because look how people reacted when they found out the little bit they did. If anything I'd want to keep a tighter leash on it all.

Django, one of the Turbine devs, freely admitted they don't have enough testers to catch everything, and that they just last week brought in a new group to help with the load. He also admits to not having enough fulltime PvP'ers, and that they're actively trying to get more, as the bulk of their DT players who were testing for them had left the game.

Finally, he said that testers have to sign an agreement that prevents them from being the first to access new content...they have to let someone else from the general public do everything first. To his knowledge, no tester has broken that yet.

So yeah, the main reason I call it a lapse in judgement...well, that's just to be nice.

This has done nothing to help the community at all, despite his belief that "the public has a right to know". In this case, the knowledge getting to the public has created mass chaos, ill will between Turbine and said public, and has resulted in the creation of new barriers between them.

This is one of those cases where he should've just kept it to himself, and everyone would've been better off.

citizen059 on
    edited November 2007
    Turbine should have switched to a public test server years ago. Much like so many other MMOs that are doing a lot more business then AC is.

Seg on
  • seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Many good points.

Fair enough, I missed out on the drama and didn't know. I stand corrected.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Is anyone at all playing on Leafcull? I've resisted the temptation to play this again for a long time, and I think I'd probably re-sub for a month and then let it lapse, but it'd be nice to see some of the new changes, but not if I don't know anyone.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ahh, Asheron's Call... how you so dominated my life.

AC was my 2nd MMO, I got dragged there by some guys I worked with because they were always talking about it. My only previous experience had been with Ultima Online, so this was a huge change for me.

I levelled an Archer and a Sword Warrior, both fun characters in their own right, but never got around to trying a mage because keeping track of all the spell components and having to buff up every piece of armor I owned every 30 minutes seemed like a frickin' chore even if it was sickeningly powerful.

I remember shooting monsters who were so far away they were a mere spec as my archer, and wading into the Lugian Citadels as my warriors, where I'd back into a corner and fight off hordes of them at a time. But I think some of my fondest memories of AC come from the fact that all armor is powered by gems, and so when our little guild (or whatever it was called in AC) would stand around BSing in town, we'd all be wearing the blue-and-yellow beach towels so as not to waste our gem power.

Ahh, good times.

Toxic Pickle on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well, if you're curious about populations...

The guy that got banned for the above info was also at one point taking semi-regular population numbers. His last update was at the end of September. He started in May, and so compared his numbers to the May results (thus the +/- numbers in parenthesis)

If you have a special place in your heart for AC, and you remember the days of 3000+ people per server, be warned: The following may hurt you deeply.

Server Population

Sunday, September 30, 2007 2:00PM EDT
    Frostfell - 243 (-15)
    Harvestgain - 150 (-23)
    Leafcull - 171 (-37)
    Morningthaw - 218 (-12)
    Solclaim - 183 (+17)
    Thistledown - 191 (-30)
    Verdantine - 42 (-18)
    Wintersebb - 139 (+2)
    Darktide - 364 (-90)

Concurrent Players - 1,701 (-206)
    White Server Average - 167 (-14)

Sunday, September 30, 2007 6:00PM EDT
    Frostfell - 255 (-13)
    Harvestgain - 170 (-16)
    Leafcull - 178 (-50)
    Morningthaw - 228 (-35)
    Solclaim - 182 (+18)
    Thistledown - 221 (-39)
    Verdantine - 40 (-28)
    Wintersebb - 147 (-5)
    Darktide - 389 (-50)

Concurrent Players - 1,810 (-218)
    White Server Average - 177 (-21)

Sunday, September 30, 2007 10:00PM EDT
    Frostfell - 279 (-2)
    Harvestgain - 176 (-18)
    Leafcull - 235 (-16)
    Morningthaw - 235 (-44)
    Solclaim - 187 (+31)
    Thistledown - 212 (-56)
    Verdantine - 31 (-38)
    Wintersebb - 158 (+19)
    Darktide - 381 (-51)

Concurrent Players - 1,850 (-219)
    White Server Average - 183 (-21)

citizen059 on
    edited November 2007
    I don't ever remember 3k per server, but I do remember a time when every server besides Darktide had 1800+ each.

That was the greatest thing about darktide, it had about a third of the population of other servers, but it was always the laggiest server. Mostly because they were spread out over more landscape then the other servers.

Seg on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Seg wrote: »
    I don't ever remember 3k per server, but I do remember a time when every server besides Darktide had 1800+ each.

That was the greatest thing about darktide, it had about a third of the population of other servers, but it was always the laggiest server. Mostly because they were spread out over more landscape then the other servers.

Funny that it now has the highest population.

Also, seeing that each server has about 1/10th of it's old population does cut deep. :(

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    edited November 2007
    From the AC community site today:
    Happy Anniversary Asheron's Call!

November 2, 2007
    Eight years ago on this day, the portals to Dereth opened and a whole new world became the home for thousands and thousands of people. Since that time, Asheron’s Call has seen many changes over the years, but the one constant has always been the players. Without the players, we would not have made it to this momentous occasion. So on this, our Eighth Anniversary; we wanted to take this opportunity to say thanks to everyone who has taken part in this adventure thus far. It has and will continue to be one of greatest adventures of all time. Happy Birthday Asheron’s Call!
    The cake is a Lie!

citizen059 on
  • crotch_lobstercrotch_lobster Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well, I sure hope AC continues well into the future, but any hope I have is severely tempered by those average server populations up there.

42 people average on Verdantine? Are they all in the same monarchy? Is it still incredibly laggy? So many questions. Seeing that Darktide has the highest population is nice, and a testament to the fine PvP that is there, hiding beneath several layers of rock-paper-scissors balance tweaks (ie. new school melees are equivalent to the old school mages, godlike)

On the other hand, I wish this game would go away, and with it, my temptation to hit the re-subscribe button.

My war/magic d mage is 170ish with incredibly outdated armor, and I read on the VN boards that level 240ish mages are getting frustrated because they a) get resisted alot by higher levels and b) get torn into itty bitty pieces by the high level melees and archers. If a 240 is having major problems, my 170 is going to be an appetizer. I can't put the time in to get a few more levels to get my war skill up and a decent suit of armor that would allow me to survive long enough to have a chance.

The main attraction for me was always 1v1 mage duels (indoor and outdoor were very fun, the Underground City was a favorite place of mine), they were good old fashioned z, c, del/insert/home/end/pagedn/pageup, and number key mashing fun. Sliding around and trying to catch the other person off their casting rythm, while maintaining your health/stam/mana ratios, dodging bolts and streaks the whole time, was always such a blast, even when I frequently lost. It definitely always got my blood pumping in a big way.

I guess I'll re-sub for a month and try to get some good fights in, hopefully there is still atleast one other mage left on the server around my level for me to get a duel in with. If not, atleast that will be settled and I'll be untempted.

crotch_lobster on
    edited November 2007
    Don't forget Decal. ;)

You'll also be battling against those using plugins not released to the general public, used to make PK easier. A number of DT'ers in recent discussions have admitted that you simply cannot hope to compete without them.

citizen059 on
    edited November 2007
    240s are getting resisted by higher levels? Jesus fuck, I can't even imagine. When I quit in 2002, 110 and up was still fairly rare to see.

Septus on
    edited November 2007
    They've added a lot. It's not uncommon for high level characters to have a skill maxed out (can't put any more xp into it), buffed up with level 7 spells (+40), plus major cantrips (+15), plus the bonuses for attributes (+15 for major str/end/whatever), and there are apparently Augmentations that add new bonuses as well. I haven't looked into those yet.

citizen059 on
  • GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Dude if I install this game and play it again I'm totally going to shoushi and I'm gonna go kill that mosswart that always drops the Ice tachi, I still remember exactly where he is.

Grath on
  • Cornell002Cornell002 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    God I would literally kill to see a re-release of this game, with updated graphics for the graphics whores and a new story that either followed the path of the original, or had a totally new storyline. Or, you know, a true sequel

Cornell002 on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm back. But they finally killed off my old characters since the last time I played. :( (just after the first expansion, heh).

EDIT: Also, holy shit mudflation. 10000 pyreals and 120 AL armor suits right off the bat?

Phoenix-D on
  • Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Anyone know what happened to the on-landscape 1-player houses? Back in 2002 before I canceled my account, I had a house in a little housing area near Holtburg, up the river a bit. I tried to get there with a lvl 5 newbie, but I ran up the river for 10 minutes and couldn't find the houses. Maybe I just didn't go far enough?

Also, I made a character on DT and got killed within 10 seconds (there was a lvl 150 camping the newbie lifestone lol), so DT hasn't changed all that much. They haven't fixed the map, either. Baishi is still way off from the map marker, and it was driving me nuts trying to find it while being chased by lvl 50 monsters that were never there back when I played. I used to be able to run to the madman's tower as a lvl 5 without much problem, now there's fucking olthoi on path where there used to be only rabbits.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
    edited November 2007
    Back in 2001, there were more than rabbits, and Olthoi don't sound too terribly off the mark, but they'd have been the weakling Olthoi. But then, the madman's tower transports you to the Direlands right? I never needed to go there at a low level.

Septus on
    edited November 2007
    If you can remember the name of the housing settlement, there would be a portal to that settlement near or in the nearest town.

As far as I know they haven't removed the settlements, but they made getting around much easier.

Does anyone know whether there has been talk of them merging a bunch of the white servers?

Seg on
  • Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Septus wrote: »
    Back in 2001, there were more than rabbits, and Olthoi don't sound too terribly off the mark, but they'd have been the weakling Olthoi. But then, the madman's tower transports you to the Direlands right? I never needed to go there at a low level.

Generally it was weaker stuff. Some rabbits, gromneys, banderlings, and occasionally mattekars and lugians near the tower itself. The portal does take you into the direlands, but it's a great place for newbie archers because mobs can't jump over the walls there and you can jump down if they shoot a spell. Plus, portals inside that area lead to another dungeon that's perfect for leveling maybe 8-15.

Also near baishi (to the west) there's what we used to call the "newbie fort", it was a tower, some broken walls, and a building, with low leveled (5-20) level mobs. Now there's lvl 60 golems and 100+ drudges. It's not that big of a deal, because even at lvl 5 a max-quickness character can outrun most of that, but it's become more difficult to find good places to hunt at lower levels.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think before I quit there was a major "rebalancing" of zones to accomdate for the lack of any real places to go for higher levels. There was too many low level craptiods around just to make it easier for lowbies to get places on foot, that when you got higher it was a pain in the ass to say, kill some Vitae. Or something, Im half pulling this from my arse. Either way, it was done not long after you left I beleive. But I think the balancing factor is you can portal your way anywhere with minimal mob interaction anyway, especially using all those damn housing and apartment portals.

I know the lowbie places got a COMPLETE overhaul as well, and all the BS ones were taken away and I beleive only 3 remained. There was some minor plot as to why too.

But if you are running on pure memories, it should be commended you fucking remember where most of that old shit is. Get that map proggy thingy and get with the TIMES man :D

On a separate note, I have had strong urges lately to get some of my friends that played this game to join me in a nice free trial of memories. I even had a dream about AC where I was running around random places, portaling all over, and killing nubs for fun. It was awesome.

Kai_San on
    edited November 2007
    I don't play any longer but I was playing when they rearranged mob placement on the map.

http://ac.turbine.com/?page_id=172

Should help you figure out where to go.

Seg on
  • Cornell002Cornell002 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    it would be so pimp if we could get a collection of PAers playing the 14 day trial

Cornell002 on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    As much as I loved AC back in the day, I keep waiting for them to make a true sequel to it or revamp the game some more. My problem isn't the gameplay or graphics, its the interface. It feels so clunky and dated at this point after playing newer MMOs. Last I played, I couldn't even mouselook.

They do however have their 100th patch coming up soon, which is a pretty impressive feat. From what I've read the big features are level 8 spells and a new tier of high end loot, unless they've got something bigger they are keeping for a surprise, its nothing I would take advantage of since I never had any characters that high of a level.

But yeah, it was such a fantastic game back in its prime, and didn't get enough credit, but I just can't get into it anymore.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Ant000Ant000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man, it's so weird looking back on it, but AC in it's first year and a half is like a really treasured part of my life :lol:.

That sounds so pathetic in some respects, and it's probably heaps of nostalgia clouding everything, but god that was a magical time my friends!!!

The funny thing is, so much of what made it amazing was shit that I don't think the developers even intended on. The way the game came together, and I think this is proven in how it was subsequently managed, was a huge fluke IMO.

Ant000 on
  • Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm starting up the trial and would love to join up with anyone else doing so. I've always heard AC was a great game and I'm a big fan of more classic MMOs (I've loved UO to the very end but stopped when they started adding in player races and the graphic update)

Typhus733 on
  • drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This is the game where I keep hearing stories of killer bunnies.

drunkenpandaren on
    Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
    edited June 2008
    I had fun during my revisit of AC, but ultimately I had to leave (due to unfortunate financial circumstances).

The magic of the old days is long gone, but I do recommend people play at least the 14 day trial if for no other reason than historical perspective.

citizen059 on
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So is the Vorpal Bunny still king of the Dire Lands?

I remember during my playtime there used to be all these stories about that rabbit, and people would post screenshots wherein literally 50 or more people would be trying to kill that damn thing, failing most of the time because it was just too badass. I don't know if any one ever managed to kill it while I was there, but I imagine that, without tweaks, people levelling into the hundreds probably wouldn't have so many problems. :P

Toxic Pickle on
  • Ant000Ant000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So is the Vorpal Bunny still king of the Dire Lands?

I remember during my playtime there used to be all these stories about that rabbit, and people would post screenshots wherein literally 50 or more people would be trying to kill that damn thing, failing most of the time because it was just too badass. I don't know if any one ever managed to kill it while I was there, but I imagine that, without tweaks, people levelling into the hundreds probably wouldn't have so many problems. :P

Best part was when people used to drag it to Ayan Baqur and it would chain kill all the people at the lifestone -- serious carnage.

Speaking of which.... when they first opened AB, and you had to run your ass across the Obsidian Plains to get there? Stock up on supplies and just headed west to this exotic new locale? How epic was that shit? Just having a godly sized and unzoned world map added so much to the game -- doubly so on DT.

Ant000 on
    edited June 2008
    This is the game where I keep hearing stories of killer bunnies.

For awhile players could let normal unassuming Rabbits kill them, and the Rabbits would actually gain levels. A couple of max level characters let a Rabbit kill it and it is level 10 or so, ready to kick the ass of any newbie that dares attack it. (Basically you could strip to no armor, debuff yourself so that the damage on yourself gets amplified and then run yourself out of stamina so that you couldn't dodge the rabbits attacks.) Rabbits are passive, worth very little experience and normally the only people who got anything from attacking them were level 1 or level 2 and unable to kill the level 2 mobs in the first cave. But that stopped being doable around 2003 or so.

There was also a White Rabbit who was quite a bit higher level then any players could possibly be. It was patterned after the White Rabbit in Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail. In a cave on a hill surrounded by a bunch of bones, and left you alone until you attacked it and then it would destroy your entire group in a matter of minutes. For a long time the only way you could kill it was bugging it out so that it stopped attacking so you could kill it. But then Turbine fixed that bug and players had to be more creative.

Seg on
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    whitebunnysig.gif

Ac sig, since the white rabbit was mentioned.

Orb of the Bunny Booty FTW.

Kai_San on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I remember playing at launch. Played for about a year, loved every moment of it. My attention finally went elsewhere, but I've always considered AC to be the best MMO I've ever played.

Imagine my shock when I went back 2 years ago to find it infested with botting.

What I would kill for is a rerelease with better graphics, and no freaking botting. Why they thought allowing that crap ingame would be a good idea is just beyond me.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, would be nice if they put in an actual auction house(Even better if its linked between all servers, like City of Heroes consignments are), would certainly beat going from one trade bot to another looking for something you need.

As far as botting in combat, yeah, its stupid, but if thats what they want to do, let them. However if you report them and it turns out they are unattended, they can get banned for that at least. If for whatever reason they derive some pleasure from sitting there watching the game play itself, there is something wrong in their head.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm talking all bots. Buff bots, trade bots, combat bots.

It was a huge shock to me when I returned, have a lvl 10 guy who was fighting Otholi. Give me the good old days again.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png