As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Asheron's Call: Nine Years of Killing Olthoi

• SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ant000 wrote: »
    Does anyone remember before they put in secure trade? Standing in Arwic you'd be like, okay I'll give you half the stuff, then you give me half, etc etc. Some people just became notorious thieves, and you'd have to be a discerning motherfucker come market time. I was once in a position where I basically could have stolen a full suit of pre-patch GSA (when it was worth like 600 bucks) while I was on an alt, but I didn't do it! Raaah, damn morals.

I can honestly say that, just getting together with two people in Holtburg and setting off down a random road toward the mountains when I was level 5 remains one of the most awesome experiences of my gaming career.

There were people who would build up reputations as trustworthy middle men. You give them the stuff, they accept the payment and then they make sure both people got a fair deal.

I also remember when pyreal had weight, so people would leave pyreal on the bodies of things they kill, taking things with much higher value for the burden units.

Seg on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited June 2008
    Fucking Sing keys were the preferred currency. It was madness.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    No way. Plats were the main currency. Which was funny, cause you could just buy plats, but people would often not take money, only plats or other tradeables.

Kai_San on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Kai_San wrote: »
    No way. Plats were the main currency. Which was funny, cause you could just buy plats, but people would often not take money, only plats or other tradeables.

Plats weren't currency for long though. It was sing keys for a long time... before that, were motes and shadow fragments.

I think plats were only currency because they stacked, weighed a lot less than pyreal, and had no transfer fee a la trade notes. And mages would use them eventually.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    edited June 2008
    Everyone was somewhat of a mage, so they all needed them eventually :D

I just remember them being the lowest form of currency, so thus the more common. Sings were the higher end, often worth a ton but those were big boy trade items :D

Kai_San on
  • littwentythreelittwentythree Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hub.

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hub.

moar liek subway, m i rite? :winky:

citizen059 on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    One guy on our server made this image in response to the PK's that used the Arwic Mines area as their primary PvP spot.

subimprove.jpg

citizen059 on
    edited June 2008
    citizen059 wrote: »
    One guy on our server made this image in response to the PK's that used the Arwic Mines area as their primary PvP spot.

subimprove.jpg

When the marketplace opened up and all the bots moved out of that location, it did make it so that red dots were a lot less annoying then before.

(I couldn't tell you how many different red dots I ended up guiding to the altar in that dungeon near Rithwic that turned you back into a White Dot.)

Seg on
    edited July 2008
    you know, it makes me realize how much of a dick I am that I remember how much I enjoyed portal camping.

I think the whole thing that makes me tolerate horribly unfair mechanics is that I can turn the tables and do it back. The feeling of screwing with someone is enough to put up with being screwed with to me :D

Kai_San on
    edited July 2008
    you know, it makes me realize how much of a dick I am that I remember how much I enjoyed portal camping.

I think the whole thing that makes me tolerate horribly unfair mechanics is that I can turn the tables and do it back. The feeling of screwing with someone is enough to put up with being screwed with to me :D

The best would be when I as a white dot would portal to that altar in the Vesayens, and notice the 16 or so mages standing around the portal drop with their fingers waiting on the key that would cast Drain One.

Adding PK Lite to the white servers really killed random PvP activities.

Seg on
    edited July 2008
    Seg wrote: »

The best would be when I as a white dot would portal to that altar in the Vesayens, and notice the 16 or so mages standing around the portal drop with their fingers waiting on the key that would cast Drain One.

Adding PK Lite to the white servers really killed random PvP activities.

PKL didn't kill PvP. Life magic was always completely broken, and PKL just made it that much more apparent.

Shadowfire on
    edited July 2008
    Umm dont think he was talking about balance. More about the communitiy.

Of course any non DT pvp to me doesn't count :D. I dont know of these white dot shenanegans unless it was some noob who died.

Kai_San on
    edited July 2008
    Actual red dot pvp on white servers went away once PKL came out, occasionally some of the higher level PKers would try to get some Red Dot action in, but there were never many people willing to join them. Not when there was always so much more pink dot action. And that action always happened at Ayan Baqur, Subway, or Mansions.

Seg on
    edited July 2008
    Ab was like the king of the hill on DT. If you owned that you owned the server for a long time. Eventually they tried to (and succeeded I think) phase out AB being the ONLY place people cared about.

I just remember when it mattered, blood owned it almost all the time sans late at night when noone was on.

Kai_San on
    edited August 2008
    Just throwing in a quick update, looks like they have some interesting things planned:
    2008 Letter From the Producer

Hello and greetings from the Asheron’s Call team here at Turbine. We’ve had quite a full year of big changes and exciting developments, and we’re eager to be able to share with you some of what we’ve got planned. As you no doubt know, Asheron’s Call has been going strong now for almost nine years, and we’re soon to celebrate our 100th monthly update, a milestone that no other game or company has come close to reaching. We’re very aware of the historic nature of Asheron’s Call’s longevity, and we will be celebrating it in style in August.

Before we discuss what the next few months and the next year will bring, I’d like to review some of the great things the team did in the last year or so.

After we resolved the story around Asheron’s kidnapping and rescue from the other world of Bur, we re-introduced a favorite character from the past, the mad tinkerer and rogue Virindi Aerbax, who stepped out of the shadows to take a central role as a threat to the people of Dereth. Aerbax’s ascendance allowed us to showcase a dozen of our most popular creature races as the mad scientist’s “Prodigal” creations infiltrated and attempted to dominate each race. The Aerbax story arc concluded in February with an epic fight with the tentacled mastermind himself on giant platforms above the Direlands, and will go down as one of the most memorable “boss battles” in the long history of Asheron’s Call.

Along the way, as we learned more of Aerbax’s agenda, we developed a storytelling technique that allowed us to re-visit and even play through some of the most important moments in the history of Asheron’s Call: the opening of the portals to Ispar, the defeat of the first Olthoi Queen, and the defeat of Bael’Zharon. These “memory quests” were some of the best-received content we’ve had in years. They show that, after more than eight years and almost a hundred monthly updates, we are still able to come up with new storytelling techniques that surprise and amaze our players.

Of course, it wasn’t just a great story and epic fights in the last year of Asheron’s Call development. With ambitious engineering and innovative content design, we’ve broadened the gameplay available to our players. The Colosseum Bosses we introduced in June deepened the challenges presented by the very popular Colosseum. We added craftable “alchemy grenades” to bring a new dimension to our combat system, both against monsters and against other players.

Not only have we broken new ground with our content and systems over the last year, we’ve also dedicated ourselves to retrofitting older content to come more in line with modern standards of challenge and reward. We’ve re-visited some beloved old quests like Lilitha’s Bow, the Green Mire Grave, and the Impious Staff to tweak mechanics or reward items to make them more compelling to a newer audience, while remaining true to the original spirit of the content. In a game as steeped in history and tradition as Asheron’s Call, it is important to remember the great early experiences that made us love this great game in the first place, and you can expect us to keep updating older quests as we move forward.

Perhaps the most important content development of the last year has been the unearthing of the Empyrean Graveyard, which is almost a “skunkworks” of new technology and content innovation. The Graveyard started out as a showcase for the day/night generators and roving monster technology we’d developed as a way to create more dynamic hunting areas. The response was overwhelmingly positive, and we built on that success by adding even more innovations to the new hunting ground. The Mhoire coins found within the graveyard were part of our ongoing effort to find compelling new rewards and an alternate currency system to allow our high-level players to distinguish themselves. The rise of the Mhoire Jester and his collectible card decks were another new frontier in Asheron’s Call content development, one we’ll be using in the future.

Now we’ve started another epic story line that taps into the deep lore that is one of the great strengths of Asheron’s Call. We have ventured into the long memories of the Undead kingdom of Dericost and the deeper-still recollections of the dark gods of the Falatacot to find a threat to the nature of magic in Dereth. The very structure of the world is threatened by a long-buried elder god, and various factions of Dereth, as they always have, are rising to confront the danger.

The difference this time around is that players will be able to join those factions. We’ve introduced three secret societies: the Celestial Hand, the Eldrytch Web, and the Radiant Blood. Each society is tied into one of the well-established factions of Dereth lore, part of all the history that has gone before, in this game of unprecedented story depth. Players have already met members of each of the societies and have had an opportunity to learn about the tenets and guiding principles of each of these mysterious groups. Starting with the 100th Update in August, players will be able to swear allegiance to one faction and work to advance their faction’s interests in the struggle for the fate of Dereth.

Last year, when I wrote this letter, I announced that we were starting development on an “elder game” system that would give our players the opportunity to play Asheron’s Call in a different way. While our quest content is second to none and our player v. player combat is still what we consider the most dynamic in the industry, we recognized that players want to be able to compete against each other in other, meaningful ways. It’s been a long time in development, but with our 100th Update in August, you’ll see the fruits of our labor. Players in different factions will be able to compete with each other, both through PvP combat and through PvE questing. They will be able to directly advance their faction’s power in the world by gathering resources and conquering various locations in Dereth. Each action they undertake in service of their faction will also earn them rewards and recognition within the faction. They won’t just be working for their faction’s interests, but their own as well. And the rewards they earn will leverage a new tier of rich treasure and a new level of spells.

We’ve been hard at work on content for the 100th Update for months now. You might have noticed that the last few content updates have been lighter than you’re used to. We made the decision to split a couple of developers off from the monthly Live updates to work, long-term, on the deep and ambitious plans we had for the 100th Update. This kind of split brought challenges to both the Live developers and the 100th Update developers, but it’s been a labor of love all throughout this process. We feel confident that when you suit up for one of the factions in August and join the struggle on their behalf, you’ll see that all the work was worth it.

Of course, the 100th Update is not the end of our efforts to improve and expand Asheron’s Call. We’ve got a number of other initiatives in the works, including an upcoming Hardware upgrade, all in the service of improving gameplay and ensuring the continued longevity of the Asheron’s Call franchise. For now, we can’t reveal any specific initiatives, but rest assured that the Asheron’s Call team is not content to rest on its laurels. While we appreciate the achievement of our 100th Update, we know that our best work is still ahead of us, and we hope that you continue the journey along with us, into our ninth and tenth years together in Dereth, and beyond.

Dave “Crowley” Javier

citizen059 on
  • IshbuIshbu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Does anyone know if Blood is still active on Darktide? I remember they used to pretty much own the server.

Ishbu on
    Play my game and serve beer to angry dwarves: The Tavern
    edited November 2008
    OP updated. 9 years and still going. ;-)

citizen059 on
  • seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Everytime I come back to this game it hurts. I know he's going to beat me, but I still love him. I wish it could go back to the way it was, when magic used tapers and pyreal's had weight. I also wish we could play AC2. That story line seemed so neat... *sigh*

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    seabass wrote: »
    Everytime I come back to this game it hurts. I know he's going to beat me, but I still love him. I wish it could go back to the way it was, when magic used tapers and pyreal's had weight. I also wish we could play AC2. That story line seemed so neat... *sigh*

Yeah, the changing of the magic system annoyed me and the extreme lack of people playing really killed it for me when I went back a couple months ago.

Oh well, it's too bad they haven't tried to do a graphical update on this game and re-release it for a more modern crowd. I'd be back in a second.

Comahawk on
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It always surprises me when I see this thread on the front page again. Wow, 9 years though... that's worthy of attention.

UO has been going for much longer, but I don't see it popping up on the front page of these forums, which is a much greater honor I think we can all agree. :D

Toxic Pickle on
    edited November 2008
    There's been some talk of UO in other threads; the similarity that UO and AC share is that many players were dissatisfied with the direction each game took.

But while AC only has the official servers, UO has the benefit of private shards for those who want to go back in time. ;-)

That said, I enjoy AC for what it is. I can't say how long I'll be back for, but I'm going to enjoy it while I can. :D

citizen059 on
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I went back to AC a few months ago for about a month...started over from scratch and got a character to 200 in a full major cov suit...it was nearly perfect, but the disparity between melee and ranged fighters (mages/archers) is so extreme I got tired of being the lowest man on the totem pole, despite awesome gear and max skills/attributes.

Despite all of that, it was a ton of fun, but it seemed that most of the people that played on Solclaim (the server I started over on) had a general inability to spell or type properly. Also the community, while strong, was tragic...I expected a bunch of nice mature people in a 9 year old game. Instead I was confronted with a handful of nice people and a couple hundred people trying to be top dog in an old game with barely 400 people on at peak times.

But that could have just have been my experienced, bunch of jerks, may have just been bad luck.

I do love AC, and will always have a soft spot in my heart for it...I still listen to some of the music I listened to when it was at its prime and flashback to running across the dires with friends trying to dodge spells and kill the big nasties.

Anon the Felon on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh my god, 1-200 in a month? That is beyond ridiculous level/xp inflation

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited November 2008
    oh, I did 1-200 in about 2.5 weeks, rest of the time was just tooling around seeing content I hadn't seen in years or the tons of new stuff they had added.

Also, it wasn't due to inflation, leveling is just as slow as it was, they did not up the rates at all.

Its due to smart grinding, and some fantastic use of Decal and various plug-ins.

Anon the Felon on
    edited November 2008
    oh, I did 1-200 in about 2.5 weeks, rest of the time was just tooling around seeing content I hadn't seen in years or the tons of new stuff they had added.

Also, it wasn't due to inflation, leveling is just as slow as it was, they did not up the rates at all.

Its due to smart grinding, and some fantastic use of Decal and various plug-ins.

I can't believe that the rates, or at least the xp of mobs, haven't been adjusted greatly since 2001. I briefly read the blog of a crazy powerleveller who was spending a couple of months going from lvl 100+ to 126 when that was the level cap.

Septus on
    edited November 2008
    I suppose its possible that they raised the rates, but when I asked it was a general negative. The reason its easier to even get to the 126 mark is because the fellowship system is out of control. Plus you can go kill mobs that give you tons of XP per kill because those higher level mobs exist, since the level cap was raised.

In concern of the fellowship deal: once you hit level 50, you can join a party with any level person, who can then go out and kill stuff, XP is split not by level, but by member count. So your level 50 character joins up with your level 275 friend, who then goes out and kills level 300 olthoi while you stand hiding behind a rock 150 (slight exaggeration) meters away....you will be raking in some 90 to 150 million XP an hour, depending how fast they can kill.

See how things have changed...

Anon the Felon on
    edited November 2008
    Hmm, I don't remember what it is, but I remember stronger restrictions against that kind of thing in the early fellowship system.

Septus on
    edited November 2008
    In the early fellowship system I think everyone had to be within 10 levels of each other to share XP, and the highest share went to the highest levels. Below level 50 I believe this is still the default.

Now, as long as everyone is over 50, it's an equal split. This, plus the fact that there are so many high XP mobs, makes it easier to level now (in theory).

I haven't tried it myself yet. My axeman is 105, nearly 106, and I really need to work on him. But last night I rolled a Crossbow alt, used my 105 to go get him a Quid Xbow, and now he's sniping the hell out of things around Eastham. ;-)

citizen059 on
    edited November 2008
    citizen059 wrote: »
    OP updated. 9 years and still going. ;-)

Fuck.... you....

Shadowfire on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I kinda wish they'd just start the game over from day one. Put the magic system back to what it was, remove anything to do with Decal/botting, and just update the graphics.

I would stop having a real life.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2008
    Agreed, I would just love the original AC with no decal.

Anon the Felon on
    edited November 2008
    I remember when I started playing (launch day) it took me a good long time to get to a decent level.

Now you can hit level 30 in a couple of hours. And I wasn't even using Decal, I was just using the available ingame buffbots. Oooo, lets go kill FUCKING OLTHOI WHEN I'M LEVEL 15, THIS SUCKS.

I had such beautiful memories of launch. It's one of the few MMO's (the only other one being Vanguard, which I loved despite all it's faults) that I haven't left hating, that I still have fond memories of. And then I logged back in 2 years ago to give it a spin and couldn't believe the shit I was seeing.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2008
    Well, to be fair, you don't HAVE to use the buffbots. ;-)

Most of the old content is still there so you can still do it the "old fashioned way" if you like.

citizen059 on
    edited November 2008
    True, yes. But if you ask the advice of anybody, they're going to work with the assumption that you've been buffed. And most of the players will want you to get buffed if you team up.

So at that point it becomes a very lonely game.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • dasnoobdasnoob ArkansasRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My best experience with this game came about 5 years ago I think. Me and a couple of my best rl friends decided it would be great to make some low level characters and go around gang-raping high level PKs. So we started pk'ing I think at lvl 8 with hollow weapons and such. Was so great. We were on Morningthaw and called ourselves The Arwic Mafia. We gave all the characters mafie-esque names. Eventually we moved our mains into the group but those early days were fun as hell.

dasnoob on
    edited November 2008
    I remember the Arwic Mafia!

Those days were indeed fun ;-)

PK on the white servers is dead now, everyone uses the PKL system which provides zero penalty for death. DT is the only place left to really experience true AC PVP.

I have a level 7 UA who's red though. I've only seen one other red and he was a level 6, so I ganked him in marketplace.

citizen059 on
    edited November 2008
    Leafcull represent yo

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh wow, I was just thinking about starting an AC thread.

How is AC doing nowadays? I am enjoying WAR and WOTLK too much to go back (plus, man, grinding on those withered lugians for another 3-4 weeks to get from 110 to 126 isn't appealing), but...

Darnit. Now I wanna play AC! They totally need a lifetime subscription.

KiTA on
  • DarkwyndreDarkwyndre Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The biggest two things that contribute to faster leveling are:

1.) Fellowships - instead of 11 people in a fellow all getting 9% of the exp from each kill, and having to be within 10 levels of the fellowship leader, fellows are now equal share as long as everyone is level 50+ ... and with a full fellowship, everyone gets 34% of the exp from each kill ...

2.) New dungeons with new mob types. Eaters who give 160,000 exp a pop in a full fellow, so if your fellow owns the top eater dungeon, you're raking in exp mega fast. Even solo you can do 50 million exp per hour, and there are some fellows that pump out 1 billion exp per hour... but that's super high end.

@KiTA - You won't have to grind withered lugians ... hehe. Game is way past that.

Darkwyndre on
    Playstation Network ID : EasySleeze