As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Asheron's Call: Nine Years of Killing Olthoi

• citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That worked out pretty well...the three of us caved in and buffed up to go out and kill some low level olthoi.

Good times ;-) Vendal - next time wear that shield, huh?

citizen059 on
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ooook, I'm repatching again, and will be in game at some point today, and upon reaching that point...I am very excited to get back in game...I forget why I left again a few months ago actually...

I'll send you all tells, and start organizing gears.

Oh, and yeah the loot tables are VERY different from back in the day, but most of what you get is junk, the upper tier of gear is so specific...its hard to find anything good.

Even the Major suit I have, which WAS top of the line, is now the second level down...I am going to have to gear grind my butt off again. I LOVE IT!

Anon the Felon on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You say, "Zojak Quaguz"
    Zombie nicks your lower arm for 0 points of piercing damage!
    Guardian of the Helm tried and failed to cast a spell at you!
    The spell consumed the following components: Prismatic Taper

Guardian of the Helm is reduced to cinders!
    screenshot00010sih2.jpg

:winky:

citizen059 on
  • seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh man, that is a fun quest. Is anyone playing a swordsman? I've never ran the quest with the 8 keys for the sword, I bet that one would be a fun run.

Last time we booted this up, I got my hollow weapon and my atlan, and outside of mote collecting it was a great time.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    seabass wrote: »
    Oh man, that is a fun quest. Is anyone playing a swordsman? I've never ran the quest with the 8 keys for the sword, I bet that one would be a fun run.

Last time we booted this up, I got my hollow weapon and my atlan, and outside of mote collecting it was a great time.

Sword of Lost Light.

Fun quest. Was an awesome sword back in the days, I believe they changed the graphic though...

I still have an oldschool one on FrostFell, want to reactivate... no monies, to spare...

Bendery It Like Beckham on
    edited November 2008
    come do a trial on solclaim man, its free, and I'm high level there. Met up with citizen today and got him some newb armor, sworn into the monarchy and gonna do some leveling or such tonight maybe :) anyone else that is playing on SC with us...Log in and lets have some old school fun!

Anon the Felon on
    edited November 2008
    Hooray for kill tasks!

You have killed 25 Hea Windreaves! Your task is complete!
    Hea Windreave is reduced to cinders!

You say, "Shurov Thiguz"
    Susana du Loc tells you, "You do my heart much good. I will dream of blood and death tonight!"
    Susana du Loc gives you Windreave Stalker Token.
    Susana du Loc gives you Windreave Stalker Plaque.

You are now level 23!
    You have 596,509 experience points and 3 skill credits available to raise skills and attributes.

You've earned 360,000 experience.

citizen059 on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Nice!

Jeez, the leveling now is so quick.

I'm at level 26, and I feel like I haven't actually been trying. =)

I think I'm starting to tire of the slaughter though... which is good, I can't afford for this to become super addictive. It's something I want to play every once in a while, but not play religiously like I did in the past. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This thread is making me sad... I so miss the old days of playing AC.

Comahawk on
    edited November 2008
    So: Questing. I'd kicked around the idea of going for the Baron's amulet, but that looks like it might be a wash - there are some level 200+ mobs "raiding" various towns and right now Colier is one of them. Survival would be at an all time low.

That said, we need to break from the grind of levelling or we'll all quit within a week. ;-)

So who's got some quest ideas?

citizen059 on
    edited November 2008
    Is the baron's even particularly useful anymore? Its like a whooping +15 hp, right. It was awesome when low starting endurance was the be all end all of AC, but I'm not sure that is the case anymore.

The bandit dagger quest is pretty sweet. It needs a biggish group, some controlled jumps, and some lever pulling. I also recall Frore being a fun place to play.

Shield / Orb / Sword of the Simulacrum can be fun as well. Then there are the Atlan weapons, which I found to be a fun quest.

Not that I'm playing or anything, just remembering that those quests are pretty fun. Building Olthoi Armor is also pretty fun, especially since you can roll your bug crushing exp grind into questing.

seabass on
    edited November 2008
    Well, it's not about things being "useful".

I'm only speaking for myself here, but I have a higher level toon on MT. I've done the quests, I've done the levelling, I've played the AC version of "progress quest".

If progression is the only goal of playing then I don't want to be here. ;-)

This is just to have something to point to and say, "hell yeah, we did that". See my post on the previous page regarding the Superior Helm & Fiery Shield. I'm a mage and can't use either one, but damned if I didn't incinerate the Guardian and take his precious loot anyway.

citizen059 on
    edited November 2008
    lol =) Aye, the quests were really fun, I enjoyed them a lot when I used to play. I think that and my unhealthy obsession with looting was what made me level so slowly last time I played. =)

But I'd definitely like to run some quests.

Frore was a blast... I liked Hamud's Pyreal Katar, though it was short... there was another one that I particularly liked, I can't remember what the quest reward was though. It ended up at this place kind of overlooking a pit, with a bunch of those snake baddies inside. (Silithus I think they are?) I can't remember what the reward itself was though, but I remember that last room looked kind of neat to me. =)

There were also so many quests I *didn't* ever get to do, because I never made it above level 50 in all those years of playing... I'd like to see or do some of those quests, but that'll require some leveling to see. =(

VThornheart on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So if you were going to revamp AC, what would you do?

Me...

1. Revamped graphics. This is the big one. I would hold a fan contest about making your own modern version of various AC characters. Take a character or monster, make it in a more modern CAD program, and let Turbine hire the best and brightest of the fans. Take the AC2 engine and backport it!

1b. Do the same thing with dungeons, quests, and ADVERTISEMENTS. Make it a contest, we use a dungeon you design, we let you play free for a month!

2. Revamped UI. Seriously, mouse control. The UI looks, feels, and plays like a 1990s game. It needs to be revamped.

3. GET THE FREAKING GAME IN STORES. Release a new boxed set every 3-6 months with the latest updates. Have an intern or 4 constantly cranking out new box arts.

4. Pull a Blizzard (This used to be known as "Pull a Sony", but they have yielded the title to the new masters) -- pinch some good ideas from other MMOs:

4a. Some form of feedback about quests -- alerts over people's heads, a quest log, etc etc. Sparkles would work, I suppose.

4b. A "tome of knowledge" that keeps track of monthly storyline updates and stuff like that. I'd love to have the random bits of lore and whatnot that you see fill up a book. Each dungeon seemed to have a story to tell, like the weird barracks turned-caves south of Arwic, or the weird tomb that had the first Zombie I would ever try to fight Northwest of... someplace. Arwic I think? Fill out those stories, and put them in a in game book!

4b2. Said book should also keep track of the best/worst/etc items you find, the number of monsters you've killed, the distance traveled, how fast you've killed, your ranking of wealth vs the server, etc etc.

4c. In game cutscenes. The focus of the game is the monthly updates. Yes, it's great that they come with a 2-3 page story on the AC site. Move some of those in game.

4d. Achievements! "You have gained the Achievement Sub/Hub/Abandoned Mines Diver: Jumped through a portal in the Abandoned Mines dungeon." "You have gained the Achievement Drudge Punter: Overkilled a Drudge by over 100 HP." "You have gained the Achivement NO NANNERS 4 J00: Ate a Nanner while being attacked by more than 10 Tuskers."

4e. Random quests. "I left a box at the bottom of <Random dungeon NO ONE EVER GOES TO #1542>. Can you go get it for me?"

KiTA on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    KiTA wrote: »
    "You have gained the Achivement NO NANNERS 4 J00: Ate a Nanner while being attacked by more than 10 Tuskers."

:lol:

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    edited November 2008
    110% agreed with everything KiTA said. Most of those points were going through my head too while I was playing... ESPECIALLY the lack of quest tracking/knowing who has quests. That is one big frustrating thing.

Also, I have decided that I am a sexy, shoeless god of war.

I went down to the Lair of Death to see if I could take on Olthoi Workers and Soldiers (after the Olthoi Arcade's creatures proved too easy for our group). Workers go down in two hits, Soldiers in 4. Not a scratch.

Nobles in about 7. Still can't hurt me, unless my back's turned to them.

I noticed that they extended the lair of death to have a second level... I went inside.

Solo'd at least 8 nobles at once, with an accompanyment of about 3 eviscerators (I'd never even SEEN eviscerators before... are they new? Well, they're dead now. =) )

Then I found there was a THIRD level, the "Dungeon of Oppression" or something like that.

Spawned in, surrounded by a mix of about 20 Olthoi Nobles and Soldiers. Killed every single one of them as they hovered around me.

Playing this game REALLY makes you feel powerful in a way I decisively didn't feel the last time I played it. I could barely tank a single Olthoi soldier at level 40 previously.

Also, I have tied to the Lair of Death. I'm taking you guys all down there when we all play together next. Those soldiers give like 10k xp each, and the eviscerators seemed to be giving about 20k. And the nobles drop incredible loot... and there's like at least 30 of them on that second floor of the dungeon alone.

VThornheart on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Asheron's Call has always been great at making you feel powerful. So many MMOs these days are balanced towards fighting a single enemy at a time, sometimes 2, and depending on your class whether you can feasibly take on 3 or more. Asheron's Call, one could be being hit on by a dozen or more and just keep killing them over and over with little downtime with use of Stamina Elixirs and healing kits. Ah, Lugian Citadel, I have fond memories of the place.

I just wish more MMO Developers would take a look at what AC accomplished in 1999, and make an MMO thats not just a WoW clone. A massive zoneless world, large groups of enemies on screen at once even for a solo player, a classless character system. They just aren't as common in MMOs as they should be at this point.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
    edited November 2008
    So in general, what's the stat layout that people like these days? I was thinking about doing a sword/throwing character when I join (grenades are too cool to pass up), and from the sounds of things, the 10 endurance "extreme" thing isn't worth doing anymore. So what is? :P

Shadowfire on
    edited November 2008
    I'm not sure what's "Maxed", but I did (for my maceman):

100 Strength
    30 Endurance
    100 Coordination
    70 Quickness
    10 Focus
    20 Self

So far it's worked much better than my old build, but I think a lot of that is from the free buffs and fantastic armor/weapons compared to back in the day.

VThornheart on
    edited November 2008
    Eviscerators were added in the first boxed expansion. Back in the day they were the "OH FUCK" mob of their dungeons, as in, "Oh, Soldiers, big whoop, wait, what was that weird hissing sou... Oh fuck. Hello, Lifestone."

I have fond memories of doing some dungeon, forget the name, with hundreds of Olthoi, and at the bottom, a goddamned young Olthoi queen. It was for some Olthoi Armor quest, and there were 4 versions of the dungeon, 1 for each level range (NOTE TO CURRENT MMO MAKERS: STEAL THIS IDEA). I couldn't kill her fast enough (she out-regenned me), she couldn't kill me.

My highest level character was the one I made when the second expansion hit, Marteau de Guerre, a Level... 110.... ish... Smurf Macer. French for "Hammer of War", the closest thing to "Warhammer" I could find, named before Warhammer Online was even a twinkle in Mythic's eye. Olthoi were my bitches, and by the time I left I was able to buff myself with 7s. Apparently that's nothing cool now but when I was playing that was hot shit!

Apparently now if I returned I wouldn't have to fight those goddamned Life-immune Withered Lugians, and apparently the highest level, billion-xp-an-hour, Endgame-ruining dungeons are all Ascendant Olthoi or somesuch. So I'd be kicking ass and taking names if I did return.

... But I'd be on the wrong server, since you guys aren't on Harvestgain.

"Extreme" builds don't work anymore because you can, over the course of a few weeks, transfer your starting points around. So you start with a decent amount of Endurance then lower it later on.

Also: http://thejackcat.com/ac/ ... If you ever want to show off why AC still lives, show them this:

http://www.thejackcat.com/AC/Culture/Dereth/Dereth.htm

KiTA on
    edited November 2008
    Oh, neat! All are good things.

All I know is that I waddled out of that cave of oppression or whatever with 1,000,000 in sellable loot, and..

A JITTE! =)

I found a jitte that's 10-20, speed 24, +10% Melee Defense, +3% Missile Defense. This shall be the weapon I buff up to be my sidearm. Finally. =)

Also, I found a couple of good wands/orbs for you guys down there if you need them.

VThornheart on
    edited November 2008
    Oh, neat! All are good things.

All I know is that I waddled out of that cave of oppression or whatever with 1,000,000 in sellable loot, and..

A JITTE! =)

I found a jitte that's 10-20, speed 24, +10% Melee Defense, +3% Missile Defense. This shall be the weapon I buff up to be my sidearm. Finally. =)

Also, I found a couple of good wands/orbs for you guys down there if you need them.

Good deal; I won't be able to go in there with you though, my magics aren't high enough.

The Olthoi Servants in Arcade were still resisting me a lot, so I know moving up to higher level mobs won't be feasible, not just yet.

citizen059 on
    edited November 2008
    KiTA, just come play on SC, HG is nearly totally dead as it is...SC has a pretty solid population and is second highest (which..isn't saying that much).

The other thing is the high end dungeon (Egg Orchard [EO]) is full of olthoi, level 180 on the top, basically big over grown soldiers. Level 190-210 on the second level, big over grown nobles, oh and they're hollow now. Then we get level 3 and 4...level 250 (huge level jump) to 300 evisceratiors, man fully hollow and hit pretty damn hard. Oh, and on level 3 and 4? while your fighting the hollow high level olthoi that can put you down in a second if you miss times your buffs, or stam out...there are random spawns of Ninjas (called MiBs aka Men in Black) that are there to combat unattended macroers. They have insane melee/missile/magic D, are hollow, hit SUPER hard and have like 600 weapon skill...so even with the soft cap max melee D, they hit about 50% of the time. Oh did I mention they also have 600 war magic/life magic and first vuln you then hit you with 200 point nukes? (they also some times strip all buffs below level 8)

MiB's are soooo fun.

Regardless, EO is fun. As long as you stay in a group, or stay active, its never a problem in the bottom levels and with high end armor the hollow bit doesn't really effect you.

Anon the Felon on
    edited November 2008
    So they're there to combat macroers... what if you're just there to fight stuff without using macros? Wierd =(

VThornheart on
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So they're there to combat macroers... what if you're just there to fight stuff without using macros? Wierd =(

The ninjas were actually put in as Lore, they just had the added benefit of nuking macroers. But honestly, if you're UCM properly ninjas are nothing. They mostly just kill noobs and people who aren't paying attention.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
    edited November 2008
    That's hilarious, and exactly the kinda thing I expect Turbine to do.

If Microsoft hadn't refused to let them fix UCMing back in the day ("But, these people are paying for TEN ACCOUNTS, they are worth more than the people they're pissing off!") the whole AC vs EQ thing might have turned out a lot different.

Oh, and if Sony hadn't pulled strings to prevent AC from finding a Publisher, heh.

KiTA on
    edited November 2008

If Microsoft hadn't refused to let them fix UCMing back in the day ("But, these people are paying for TEN ACCOUNTS, they are worth more than the people they're pissing off!") the whole AC vs EQ thing might have turned out a lot different.

Oh, and if Sony hadn't pulled strings to prevent AC from finding a Publisher, heh.

The first unattended macroing I recall were trade-bots, which were really a good thing for the game. I'm still not sure why they never allowed player run shops ala UO. It really did breathe life into that game.

Whats this about screwing with funding? I'd never heard that. The only drama I remember is when some people were getting advanced notice of quests and events...

seabass on
    edited November 2008

No, I think AC's graphics, and the one year delay in release had far more to do with EQ's relative success (and AC's lack thereof) than UCMing. AC came out a year later, and the character models were crap compared to EQ.

That, and I think people preferred the zones of EQ to the open world of AC. They gave it a structure that was easier for people to understand (if I go over this line, enemies get harder).

Shadowfire on
    edited November 2008
    Wow, I didn't know about that either! I always felt like Asheron's Call got the short end of the stick in advertising and promotion, and that it was far superior to Everquest... I didn't realize there were back dealings that were causing that to happen. That sucks a lot.

I remember hearing about people getting advance notice of quests as well, and that always made me upset to hear about it. The only thing that ever really irked me about AC was that if you weren't "in the loop", the chances for you knowing how to get started (or complete) a given quest was 0. There really wasn't much help in-game other than the occasional scrap of paper with some vague directions for most quests... and some not even that. =) If they could've improved that alone, it would have made a big difference.

Also, Seabass... are you REALLY from Dover, NH? (as your location says?)

I JUST moved there! What a small world! That's crazy! I just moved back to Dover about 2 months ago! It's truly a small world! =)

VThornheart on
    edited November 2008
    Wow, I didn't know about that either! I always felt like Asheron's Call got the short end of the stick in advertising and promotion, and that it was far superior to Everquest... I didn't realize there were back dealings that were causing that to happen. That sucks a lot.

I remember hearing about people getting advance notice of quests as well, and that always made me upset to hear about it. The only thing that ever really irked me about AC was that if you weren't "in the loop", the chances for you knowing how to get started (or complete) a given quest was 0. There really wasn't much help in-game other than the occasional scrap of paper with some vague directions for most quests... and some not even that. =) If they could've improved that alone, it would have made a big difference.

I JUST moved there! What a small world! That's crazy! I just moved back to Dover about 2 months ago! It's truly a small world! =)

Maggie was invaluable for completing quests. Even if you're insane and managed to follow some of the notes, it was way too easy to hit a dead end. So, this gets more and more tempting by the day. How many people are on during prime on solclaim? AC is huge, so its easy to end up with a world that feels empty. I might give the trial a whirl, if only to go explore a few old dungeons that I never saw the end of... like that one to the left of the road as you run between Nanto and Mayoi. It had some teen-level shreth at the bottom, and you needed lock pick to get down there. Even back in 99 and 00, I'd never seen another person in it.

If... if I'm weak, and I do come back, wheres a good site for builds? Is it still like it used to be, in that full mage, three school, or go home? I was thinking of rolling a UA character, or perhaps an axer. Something with low skill point requirements so I can pick up some utility skills like lock picking.

Small world indeed I suppose. I'm from the mid-west, Indiana actually, but I've been out here a couple of years for grad school. Its just cheaper to commute from Dover than to try and find housing on campus, so in Dover I stay.

seabass on
    edited November 2008

See, I don't know about any "back dealings" in regards to the game's launch. I think that's just fan-based rumors more than anything, but I'd enjoy being proven wrong. AC's launch was delayed a year because they knew the game was in no shape to be released (and it wasn't. I remember beta 0, and beta 1... they were not amazing).

I also enjoyed the whole "scrap of paper" thing, because I loved reading all that shit. Mass market, however? Yea, I could see that causing an issue. ;-)

Edit: The thing about people getting advance knowledge of quests, I knew a couple people who did. They were pretty good about it, though. They'd hear about stuff, but they played so leisurely that it didn't really matter. I was, however, tipped off about Gertarh's assassination before it happened, and bought four packs full of his daggers. Selling them later netted me a pretty penny, until the bandit hilts came around. :P

Also, Dover? I live about 2 hours from you, in Windsor, Vermont. Wheeeee. :P

Shadowfire on
    edited November 2008
    Shadowfire wrote: »

What mysterious power draws people from the north east to AC? More in the news at 11!

seabass on
    edited November 2008

What mysterious power draws people from the north east to AC? More in the news at 11!

Pretty sure all of the player conventions were in the north eastern part of the U.S. (well, one year was in Jersey, anyway, but others were in Mass, maybe?)

Wasn't Turbine's office located in the north east as well?

Shadowfire on
    edited November 2008
    Massachusetts and California offices.

seabass on
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, there was a huge blowup on the Turbine forums last year when a bug in the forum code allowed people to view the developer forum. As a result, the names of all the players who beta tested content got released, and all hell broke loose.

The loudest screeching came from DT players when they realized the testing team consisted mostly of white-server players. The fact there weren't more than one or two DT'ers testing content for PvP imbalance was the source of one of the most impressive internet hissy-fits I've ever seen.

I was planning on getting on today but I dunno...my kid picked up a stomach bug earlier in the week and now he's the healthy one and everyone else in the house is sick. :P

citizen059 on
    edited November 2008
    citizen059 wrote: »
    Yeah, there was a huge blowup on the Turbine forums last year when a bug in the forum code allowed people to view the developer forum. As a result, the names of all the players who beta tested content got released, and all hell broke loose.

The loudest screeching came from DT players when they realized the testing team consisted mostly of white-server players. The fact there weren't more than one or two DT'ers testing content for PvP imbalance was the source of one of the most impressive internet hissy-fits I've ever seen.

I heard about a forum blow up, but I hadn't heard why. Interesting, and mighty stupid. :P

Shadowfire on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    citizen059 wrote: »

I was planning on getting on today but I dunno...my kid picked up a stomach bug earlier in the week and now he's the healthy one and everyone else in the house is sick. :P

Man Darktide hissy fits remind me of the period when some dude from Blood had snuck into another guilds exp chain near the top and then got a hold of list of that guilds chain members, and just dismantled the exp chain in a matter of minutes.

Seg on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

No, I think AC's graphics, and the one year delay in release had far more to do with EQ's relative success (and AC's lack thereof) than UCMing. AC came out a year later, and the character models were crap compared to EQ.

That, and I think people preferred the zones of EQ to the open world of AC. They gave it a structure that was easier for people to understand (if I go over this line, enemies get harder).

AC only came out 6 months after EQ, but I agree that the release date had a lot to do with EQs success and AC's general lack thereof. But more importantly, Microsoft's near complete lack of advertising for the game and it just didn't have enough subscribers out of the gate to directly compare to EQ.

Graphically I think it might have helped if it had actually gotten proper advertising. Because at the time not everyone had a 3D Accelerator yet. I didn't. EQ required one, while AC didn't and could run in software mode. And honestly, the player models didn't look that much worse at launch. Comparing them now, yeah EQ has aged better but its gotten multiple graphic updates in its lifetime, but at launch they weren't all that much better than AC's.

But as far as zones goes. Anyone that prefers zones, and any MMO developer that still wants to use zones, is a god damned fucking moron. Games do not need to be dumbed down for god damned fucking morons either. And yet, they keep doing it... I simply don't get it. Vanguard is the only major MMO I can think of in the past few years that went for a large zoneless world, but it had plenty of other problems anyways.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
    edited November 2008
    Maggie was invaluable for completing quests. Even if you're insane and managed to follow some of the notes, it was way too easy to hit a dead end. So, this gets more and more tempting by the day. How many people are on during prime on solclaim? AC is huge, so its easy to end up with a world that feels empty. I might give the trial a whirl, if only to go explore a few old dungeons that I never saw the end of... like that one to the left of the road as you run between Nanto and Mayoi. It had some teen-level shreth at the bottom, and you needed lock pick to get down there. Even back in 99 and 00, I'd never seen another person in it.

If... if I'm weak, and I do come back, wheres a good site for builds? Is it still like it used to be, in that full mage, three school, or go home? I was thinking of rolling a UA character, or perhaps an axer. Something with low skill point requirements so I can pick up some utility skills like lock picking.

Small world indeed I suppose. I'm from the mid-west, Indiana actually, but I've been out here a couple of years for grad school. Its just cheaper to commute from Dover than to try and find housing on campus, so in Dover I stay.

lol! What an incredibly small world, that's crazy! We should have a Pre-PAX meet-up in Dover as the time approaches! (Are you going to PAX this coming year?)

Also, I will hold any UA weapons I find for you that are good in preparation for your arrival. I feel bad now, I've found several amazing ones (in my opinion) that I didn't think anyone could use, so I just sold them.

I too am in it to see the dungeons I never got to see. I want to fight Bael'zharon, or at least in that dungeon I heard so much about but never saw. I also want to buy a villa... even if I abandon it when I get bored with the game. =) I want to say I bought one. =) I'm eyeing one that has a really easy item requirement (I actually got the required item from those pumpkin buffers when I killed one!).
    See, I don't know about any "back dealings" in regards to the game's launch. I think that's just fan-based rumors more than anything, but I'd enjoy being proven wrong. AC's launch was delayed a year because they knew the game was in no shape to be released (and it wasn't. I remember beta 0, and beta 1... they were not amazing).

I also enjoyed the whole "scrap of paper" thing, because I loved reading all that shit. Mass market, however? Yea, I could see that causing an issue. ;-)

Edit: The thing about people getting advance knowledge of quests, I knew a couple people who did. They were pretty good about it, though. They'd hear about stuff, but they played so leisurely that it didn't really matter. I was, however, tipped off about Gertarh's assassination before it happened, and bought four packs full of his daggers. Selling them later netted me a pretty penny, until the bandit hilts came around. :P

I second my request for us to have a New England Pre-PAX Meet-up to you, by the way =)

Aye, I can see how that might just be urban legend among AC fans... but it did seem weird that they just didn't get the push they needed.

VThornheart on
    edited November 2008
    eelektrik wrote: »
    AC only came out 6 months after EQ, but I agree that the release date had a lot to do with EQs success and AC's general lack thereof. But more importantly, Microsoft's near complete lack of advertising for the game and it just didn't have enough subscribers out of the gate to directly compare to EQ.

AC had quite a bit of advertising, I think people are just remembering it poorly. I remember every gaming magazine after AC released running centerfold style ads for the game, with a pull out poster that had all sorts of screenshots and lore. The advertising was there.
    But as far as zones goes. Anyone that prefers zones, and any MMO developer that still wants to use zones, is a god damned fucking moron. Games do not need to be dumbed down for god damned fucking morons either. And yet, they keep doing it... I simply don't get it. Vanguard is the only major MMO I can think of in the past few years that went for a large zoneless world, but it had plenty of other problems anyways.

Again, you're thinking of it in terms of "gamers aren't stupid! omg!" Back during the time that EQ and AC came out, when MMOs were still in their inception? You better believe that MMO players were stupid to how the mechanics worked. Zones made that line that said "hey, if you cross this line, your shit's going to get fucked up." People could relate to it, much like stages in any other game.

I'm not saying I liked it. I'm telling you why it was appealing.
    I second my request for us to have a New England Pre-PAX Meet-up to you, by the way =)

I would be up for it. As long as it worked around my work/school schedule, I'd be up for it. My wife probably would too, although we'd just bore her with our AC stories, and she'd beg to talk about WoW. :P

Shadowfire on