As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Asheron's Call: Nine Years of Killing Olthoi

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    eelektrik wrote: »
    But as far as zones goes. Anyone that prefers zones, and any MMO developer that still wants to use zones, is a god damned fucking moron. Games do not need to be dumbed down for god damned fucking morons either. And yet, they keep doing it... I simply don't get it. Vanguard is the only major MMO I can think of in the past few years that went for a large zoneless world, but it had plenty of other problems anyways.

This.

I tell you, I have never understood the use of zones in modern MMOs. I could understand it in EQ's day, where they needed to break things up a bit for the purposes of server load, but seriously, why do developers still insist on using zones? Age of Conan was a huge culprit here, where they had zones within zones, so that people in the same fucking area may not actually be in the same place. It was retarded and that game deserved to fail hard.

Asheron's Call was great at this, though of course I think in the modern age, having dungeons not be instanced can cause a lot of problems. Things like certain guilds taking over places, farmers pretty much raping areas to the point that regular people can't get at the resources they need or quests they want. I think there's a happy medium to be found in this regard.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    But as far as zones goes. Anyone that prefers zones, and any MMO developer that still wants to use zones, is a god damned fucking moron. Games do not need to be dumbed down for god damned fucking morons either. And yet, they keep doing it... I simply don't get it. Vanguard is the only major MMO I can think of in the past few years that went for a large zoneless world, but it had plenty of other problems anyways.

Again, you're thinking of it in terms of "gamers aren't stupid! omg!" Back during the time that EQ and AC came out, when MMOs were still in their inception? You better believe that MMO players were stupid to how the mechanics worked. Zones made that line that said "hey, if you cross this line, your shit's going to get fucked up." People could relate to it, much like stages in any other game.

I'm not saying I liked it. I'm telling you why it was appealing.

I can see that, there were a lot less people used to MMOs at the time. But nowadays theres really no reason to use zones other than developer laziness. When its been done successfully in a game 9 years ago(That started in development years before that to begin with), Why are developers so quick to make games zone-based? Even worse, Turbine themselves went to zone-based designed for DDO and LOTRO.

At least games like WoW and LOTRO use connected zones without loading screens, but then theres stuff like Age of Conan and WAR, and I believe Champions Online, is using loading screens between zones. But I still don't get why developers continue to do it this way.

Basically, I miss the sense of exploration that AC had. I haven't seen any MMO since that has compared to it, and there aren't any thats been announced that I know of that might.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

Again, you're thinking of it in terms of "gamers aren't stupid! omg!" Back during the time that EQ and AC came out, when MMOs were still in their inception? You better believe that MMO players were stupid to how the mechanics worked. Zones made that line that said "hey, if you cross this line, your shit's going to get fucked up." People could relate to it, much like stages in any other game.

I'm not saying I liked it. I'm telling you why it was appealing.

I can see that, there were a lot less people used to MMOs at the time. But nowadays theres really no reason to use zones other than developer laziness. When its been done successfully in a game 9 years ago(That started in development years before that to begin with), Why are developers so quick to make games zone-based? Even worse, Turbine themselves went to zone-based designed for DDO and LOTRO.

At least games like WoW and LOTRO use connected zones without loading screens, but then theres stuff like Age of Conan and WAR, and I believe Champions Online, is using loading screens between zones. But I still don't get why developers continue to do it this way.

Basically, I miss the sense of exploration that AC had. I haven't seen any MMO since that has compared to it, and there aren't any thats been announced that I know of that might.

No, I haven't heard of any. AC's notable for the sights you could see that were simply unrivaled by any other MMO. The sunrise from the Tou-Tou light house? Breathtaking. I don't think I saw anything close to that, besides maybe when I got my Yalm in AO, and flew towards the sunset in SAV and CAV.

Ahh, memories.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So last night was interesting.

I decided last night that I was going to go on all of the major atlan stone quests, in an attempt to earn writs of refuge.

I had forgotten what a pain in the but the fire and ice ones were.

The fire one turned out okay, but there was a lot of "holy crap I'm at two health because five bad guys threw spells at me at once!".

The ice one was exceptionally crazy though... perhaps the single craziest moment I've ever had in an MMORPG.

I remembered there being a shortcut in the ice cave where you hop on top of a candlestick, and then up onto the second floor (skipping about half a million revnants/dark revnants and their painful spells).

I spawned in, and I didn't see it. I tried the nearest candlestick that I saw, but there was no platform there.

And so I ran. I turned off combat mode and ran through the dungeon, drinking healing tinctures whenever I got blasted by a spell, and standing in place when there were too many for me to get past in a crowded hallway (note to anyone who was wondering: you can push bad guy units out of the way if they're melee attacking you, but NOT if they're ranged attacking you or casting spells).

So down the halls I went, with pretty much the entire dungeon chasing me and throwing spells like mad. I didn't know which way to go, so I did the "Benny Hill run" through most of the dungeon 5 or 6 times before I stumbled onto the real way to get to the second floor, and then to the button to open the cage door, and THEN to the button to open the final door.

All in all, I didn't kill a single thing in the dungeon, and ended up with the stone! It was intense though... there were SO MANY things chasing me.

Unfortunately, like an idiot, I apparently sold the fire stone. I think I was selling the crap I picked up, and didn't check to see if the jewlery I was selling included something that was ACTUALLY important. But a nice guy in our allegiance (Darkest Archer I think he was) gave me a writ to replace it, which was very kind of him.

And then, when I went to buy my house?

I found out that you can't get a house until you've played on your account for at least 15 days. SUCKFEST.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I don't even know if this will work...I couldn't find the alternate download for Decal but I still had the file on my system.

There was an MSI file available for those who were having trouble with the install.

http://www.filesavr.com/decal

Let me know if that doesn't work, I'll try to put it up somewhere else.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Grabbing it now... sorry that I disappeared there. My wife got upset because I hadn't gone to get the car fixed up yet.

I looked around... I can't find anyone open on Sunday! Not much I can do about that. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Decal's working great, though I wish Sixth Sense was still functional. It had a really good interface for telling you when items were on the ground or creatures you were looking for were near, even if they weren't on the radar.

I don't know how it did that, but I remember in the short time I used it back in the day, it was quite useful. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Pick up the latest version of Lifetank, you can configure it to do similar functions.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    AC only came out 6 months after EQ, but I agree that the release date had a lot to do with EQs success and AC's general lack thereof. But more importantly, Microsoft's near complete lack of advertising for the game and it just didn't have enough subscribers out of the gate to directly compare to EQ.

Microsoft's ineptitude with AC was only surpassed by their utter assholeish sabotogue of AC2. For months in that game you COULD NOT SPEAK IN GAME because Microsoft's chat system broke down and they REFUSED to let Turbine fix it. Turbine had a fix for months but Microsoft simply refused to let them do it.

Oh, and then they announced Mythica, a AC2 replacement.

I honestly think MS only got AC so they could say they had a MMORPG to compete with Sony -- same reason they made the Xbox. They weren't invested in the game at all.

But as far as fandom hissy fits... DT hissy fits are bad, sure, but when the community discovered that one of the developers / PR people at Turbine is (Was? Has she moved on?) a transgendered (M2F) woman, THAT was the first time I really wanted to reach through a monitor and stab someone in the face.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I second my request for us to have a New England Pre-PAX Meet-up to you, by the way =)

I would be up for it. As long as it worked around my work/school schedule, I'd be up for it. My wife probably would too, although we'd just bore her with our AC stories, and she'd beg to talk about WoW. :P

If you guys are hitting up PAX, you should take with you a bunch of free trial CDs.

... Does Turbine show up at PAX, btw?

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Oh yeah, they show up at PAX! I got an Asheron's Call shirt from them in fact! It doesn't even FIT me, but I had to get it. =)

I didn't realize what had happened to make AC2 fail. You shouldn't even chat? In an MMO? Ouch. =( That sucks. =(

Also, was she taking grief from the community for being transgendered? That's bizzare and unfortunate. =( I'd have liked to have thought that the AC crowd was more mature than that. =(

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'd have liked to have thought that the AC crowd was more mature than that. =(

...you never spent much time on the forums, did you.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I must admit, I never went to the forums at all, ever. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I spent much more time on the VT forums than the Official forums, myself.

KiTA on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Needed Decal Plugins for everyone:

Alinco (new loot finder/auto-looter)
    GoArrow (location finder/directional thingie)
    Make It! (tradeskill maker)
    LifeTank X (get X not XI or any other ver, X is the one that is easiest to config and works the best)
    MiniMap (shows dungeon walls)
    Quest Timer (....duh)
    Radar Add-on (needed for minimap)

Place to get them all: Decall Utilities
    Place to get LTX: Holy Crap its LTX for UCM!

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Man, you guys are really really making me want to play this. :( But I'm already paying and playing 2 MMOs (3 if you count the EVE online account I'm apparently paying for)... argh.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Anon, I'm gathering from allegiance chat that there's some heavy UCM'ing going on. Is that the case or am I misinterpreting?

citizen059 on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

This.

I tell you, I have never understood the use of zones in modern MMOs. I could understand it in EQ's day, where they needed to break things up a bit for the purposes of server load, but seriously, why do developers still insist on using zones? Age of Conan was a huge culprit here, where they had zones within zones, so that people in the same fucking area may not actually be in the same place. It was retarded and that game deserved to fail hard.

Asheron's Call was great at this, though of course I think in the modern age, having dungeons not be instanced can cause a lot of problems. Things like certain guilds taking over places, farmers pretty much raping areas to the point that regular people can't get at the resources they need or quests they want. I think there's a happy medium to be found in this regard.

Uh, are you talking about instances in the first paragraph? I'm pretty sure eelektrik was talking about general world zones, like WoW, which aren't instanced, and I assume they're only broken down so that you know where to go for smooth progression, and don't accidentally run into a place where the mobs gib you instantly.

I think instances, are fantastic. It makes that level of content more manageable and largely immune to the idiocy of other players. I think AC even did/does have instances. I remember in the big elemental invasions, with the harbinger of whatever, that a dungeon would spawn a new instance when you had more than 30 or 40 or however many players was deemed too many.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Septus wrote: »

This.

Uh, are you talking about instances in the first paragraph? I'm pretty sure eelektrik was talking about general world zones, like WoW, which aren't instanced, and I assume they're only broken down so that you know where to go for smooth progression, and don't accidentally run into a place where the mobs gib you instantly.

I think instances, are fantastic. It makes that level of content more manageable and largely immune to the idiocy of other players. I think AC even did/does have instances. I remember in the big elemental invasions, with the harbinger of whatever, that a dungeon would spawn a new instance when you had more than 30 or 40 or however many players was deemed too many.

Actually hes right about Age of Conan. The world zones itself got instanced, not just dungeons, and getting into the same instance of a zone as your friends was less than user friendly. Age of Conan, not only was it zoned, but it was packed with the most loading screens I've ever seen in an MMO. It was just all around bad and lazy world design.

I hate both types of zones, instanced or 'seamless'. I have nothing against instanced dungeons and understand their purpose, but the main world itself should be seamless, not broken into zones, and not involve loading screens when walking from one area to the next. Instanced world zones kinda takes the Massively Multiplayer out of MMOs, and zoned game worlds make for unnatural looking worlds that just suck to begin with. I can put up with them, but I don't like them.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    littwentythreelittwentythree Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    citizen059 wrote: »
    Anon, I'm gathering from allegiance chat that there's some heavy UCM'ing going on. Is that the case or am I misinterpreting?

No misinterpretation here, there is a lot of UCM'ing going on. Which isn't a big deal and never was, but you can bitch and moan about other people having more phat loot than you, it's the cool thing to do.

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008

No misinterpretation here, there is a lot of UCM'ing going on. Which isn't a big deal and never was, but you can bitch and moan about other people having more phat loot than you, it's the cool thing to do.

So... no one cares about UCM now? Lame. :(

KiTA on
  • Options
    littwentythreelittwentythree Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    What's lame about that? It's kind of a stupid thing to get angry about in general.

I don't do it because that's not how I enjoy the game. But most people definitely do, count on it. Turbine still bans people for it.

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm not trying to re-fight the forum wars of the last nine years, but just to clarify: yes there's UCM and it's still against the rules but if you don't like it you're stupid and you're jealous that you don't have as much phat lewt. Is that it?

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Ya know, Turbine should totally do a Scifi RPG. With the AC1 engine, only updated. Maybe with robots instead of people.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm not trying to re-fight the forum wars of the last nine years, but just to clarify: yes there's UCM and it's still against the rules but if you don't like it you're stupid and you're jealous that you don't have as much phat lewt. Is that it?

Sarcasm? Projection?

I just don't think it's right, but who cares, I'm never going to risk my 7 or 8 year old AC account to try it, heh.

KiTA on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Are the UCMs still pushing real players out of the decent grinding locations or are there special dungeons that they can UCM in and not fuck over other players?

That was always my biggest annoyance with UCMs. When they would set up in places where real players were going to be.

Seg on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    KiTA wrote: »
    I second my request for us to have a New England Pre-PAX Meet-up to you, by the way =)

I would be up for it. As long as it worked around my work/school schedule, I'd be up for it. My wife probably would too, although we'd just bore her with our AC stories, and she'd beg to talk about WoW. :P

If you guys are hitting up PAX, you should take with you a bunch of free trial CDs.

... Does Turbine show up at PAX, btw?

Depends on where PAX is going to be on the east cost. If it's any further than Boston, probably not happening. But my wife and I do want to go. And yes, I'd take a shitload of free trial CDs. A spool of CDRs is what, $5? I'd throw 500 CDs out there. :P

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    It's verified as Boston! Wooot! =)

EDIT: at least I think it is... last I heard, it was verified as being in Boston, which is great!

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Its not about loot. EO drops shit for loot (yes you will get majors some times, and yes you will get rares, but ALOT less often then on DI or sing caul), and thats where you have to go from 150-275. UCMing for levels...hell I do it, because grinding in AC is a serious pain in the ass after a certain point, its even worse when regardless of where you go the BEST XP has the worst loot...so why not UCM.

To get loot, you go to places where the mobs give crap XP, or do not spawn fast enough to grind on and there for can not be UCM'd effectively for XP.

Its one or the other now, no one cares if you UCM for XP, and those that UCM on DI (dark isle, where the "phat lewt" is) get temp bans pretty regularly.

If you don't UCM after a certain point, you are just dumb. You will level so freaking slow you'll get sick of the game in a hurry.

Note: For most everyone in AC, UCM and ACM (attended combat macro) are the same thing, some times you there, some times your not. When your not unless you have some pretty good warning systems you will get caught. It is no longer safe to run a macro and go to work, it is ok to run it and sleep, if your alarm sound will wake you up when you are in the process of getting busted. I promote ACM, and UCM only when you are in the same area and will hear the loud DING's.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Seg wrote: »
    Are the UCMs still pushing real players out of the decent grinding locations or are there special dungeons that they can UCM in and not fuck over other players?

That was always my biggest annoyance with UCMs. When they would set up in places where real players were going to be.

Now they have built in fellowship scripts, if you tell them the password (usually "XP") they will auto-invite you to the fellow, then you just go run around and find a place to set up shop. and make your massive XP/hr.

They could be considering pushing you out...but in the newer dungeons there are so many spaces to park and grind that its never really an issue unless the dungeon just has to many people in it, in which case it doesn't matter if everyone is UCM or totally active...going to be the same issue.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I hope that villa will still be there when I get to 15 days on my account... I covet it. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Man, ACM would almost be interesting. You'd still have to play a life/war tank, though, wouldn't you?

Damn you and your morally gray areas!

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Okay... I'm sold on it. I really just want to see all the high-level content that I never could see before anyways.

How do you get one of these ACMs? =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    ACM stands for active combat macro (Like I said) which is the opposite of Unattended, the person is actively paying attention to his character, making changes to location and buffs and such as needed, and generally chatting it up in allegiance while the macro runs the grinding aspects.

Its just for those who don't want to have to hit the buttons, but refuse to just "Let the macro play the entire game".

Lifetank X is the best plugin for either use, its just kind of a pain in the butt to set up the first time.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Man, Lifetank X does everything, that's crazy. =) I think I grabbed it, I just haven't figured out how it works yet. I'll have to get on that. =)

Indeed, I wouldn't mind actively paying attention as long as I didn't have to do all the micro-management of killing. I actually wouldn't even mind that... but I think I'd level faster if I didn't have to do that micro managing, and I'd stay entertained longer. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Man, Lifetank X does everything, that's crazy. =) I think I grabbed it, I just haven't figured out how it works yet. I'll have to get on that. =)

Indeed, I wouldn't mind actively paying attention as long as I didn't have to do all the micro-management of killing. I actually wouldn't even mind that... but I think I'd level faster if I didn't have to do that micro managing, and I'd stay entertained longer. =)

Lifetank does a fairly good job, you just have to tailor it to your character's abilities. It's pretty easy to do, and you learn through trial and error what does and doesn't work. It'll run any type - mage, melee, or ranged.

I primarily use it for self buffing.

By the way - I need a wood golem heart to make a fishing pole, I'm having a devil of a time getting one to drop. If anyone can help me out there I'd appreciate it. Need to get my fishing title out of the way. ;-)

citizen059 on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Playing any class there isn't a whole lot of micromanaging in AC. Unless the mechanics of the game have changed in the 3 years since I stopped playings. A mage just limits your ability to chat. Since you actually have to push buttons constantly, unlike a missile or melee character where you only have to hit buttons when looting/switching targets. Or if you decide to try sliding out of the way of a spell.

Seg on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Well, that's the real thing that's changed lately... everything dies so quickly, that the micro-management becomes constant target switching as baddies go down, or just plain running around everywhere.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Seg wrote: »

Playing any class there isn't a whole lot of micromanaging in AC. Unless the mechanics of the game have changed in the 3 years since I stopped playings. A mage just limits your ability to chat. Since you actually have to push buttons constantly, unlike a missile or melee character where you only have to hit buttons when looting/switching targets. Or if you decide to try sliding out of the way of a spell.

Its AC. Everyone is a mage to some extent.

Also, your avatar... Musashi, brave ranter?

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    20/40/100/100/60/10
    Spec Xbow, Melee.
    Trained Arcane, Healing, Item.
    Level 6.. going to train Alchemy next level, then fletching at 11? 12?.

Name's Kristopf.

Fuck you guys.

Shadowfire on