As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Asheron's Call: Nine Years of Killing Olthoi

• Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    20/40/100/100/60/10
    Spec Xbow, Melee.
    Trained Arcane, Healing, Item.
    Level 6.. going to train Alchemy next level, then fletching at 11? 12?.

Name's Kristopf.

Fuck you guys.

Xbow is good.

And with Alchemy you can make those nifty alchemy grenades. Everybody wins! Except your enemies.

I have an alchy/dagger on MT and I can verify that they're fun to use.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sorry Shadowfire =( I didn't want to get you into this too early...

... you don't still have finals going on, do you? Don't do it if you still have finals.

But if that's over... welcome! =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    citizen059 wrote: »
    20/40/100/100/60/10
    Spec Xbow, Melee.

Name's Kristopf.

Fuck you guys.

Xbow is good.

And with Alchemy you can make those nifty alchemy grenades. Everybody wins! Except your enemies.

That means picking up Throwing though. I'd rather that than Life Magic, of course, but I also wish I could make Imperil arrows. ;-)

... you don't still have finals going on, do you? Don't do it if you still have finals.

My final project for Marketing is done. I still have the two exams, but the Marketing one is next week (plenty of time to study), and the Financial Accounting one is a take home, so it'll be fine.

I hope. :P

Seriously though, I won't be on a ton. I promised my wife I'd play WoW with her when she's home, so it's mostly going to be when she's at work and I'm not. :P

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    20/40/100/100/60/10
    Spec Xbow, Melee.

Name's Kristopf.

Fuck you guys.

Xbow is good.

That means picking up Throwing though. I'd rather that than Life Magic, of course, but I also wish I could make Imperil arrows. ;-)

My final project for Marketing is done. I still have the two exams, but the Marketing one is next week (plenty of time to study), and the Financial Accounting one is a take home, so it'll be fine.

I hope. :P

Seriously though, I won't be on a ton. I promised my wife I'd play WoW with her when she's home, so it's mostly going to be when she's at work and I'm not. :P

No, you don't have to pick up throwing. The grenades, when wielded, give you something like a +500 buff to thrown weapons.

So even if you don't have it trained you can use them.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Oh, slick! (reminds himself to possibly pick up Alchemy ;) )

Also Shadowfire, that works by me! I probably won't be playing other than weekends or the occasional evening on weekdays, because if I go too hardcore into it (like I did last week =( ) I'm going to either burn out or my wife's going to get angry because I promised her I wouldn't get obsessed with it. =) It'll be good, we'll try to keep each other from going gung-ho back into it. =)

I might make a new character even to stay with you until we catch up to him... Vendal's already level 40, from that first week where I went AC crazy. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    No, you don't have to pick up throwing. The grenades, when wielded, give you something like a +500 buff to thrown weapons.

So even if you don't have it trained you can use them.

Glorious.

I'll only have to be like level 26 to get all the skills I want trained (Lockpick, Fletching, Alchemy). 40 if I go for cooking as well.

That's right, I'm gonna do trade skills. Also, fuck creature/life.

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Aye. I'm currently mace/item specialized. I've trained Mana Conversion (though I may yet untrain it) and Arcane Lore (though I think I will untrain that).

I was going to get Life, but I don't think I want to anymore.

What I DO want is to be able to buy this villa I've been eying. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Why would you specialize Item? Last time I played there was no real reason to get it higher then what you needed it to cast buffs and portals. Have they expanded the usefulness of Item?

Seg on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Oh, I thought it had to be specialized to get it up to the highest level (i.e. casting level VII spells)

D'oh. =(

VThornheart on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh, I thought it had to be specialized to get it up to the highest level (i.e. casting level VII spells)

D'oh. =(

Nah, it's only like a 15 point difference between specialized and un specialized in the long run (IE maxed) but i think they made it so that some items now require you to be specialized in that skill. I may be wrong though.

Keep Mana convservation (makes buffing a lot quicker) And arcane lore (for cantrips) and just knock item magic down to trained.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Ohhhh... can I do that?

I know there's ways to untrain trained skills, but can you do it to specialized too? I've not done it yet, I hear there's a quest to do it.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Ohhhh... can I do that?

I know there's ways to untrain trained skills, but can you do it to specialized too? I've not done it yet, I hear there's a quest to do it.

Yeah, you can specialize skills, and sell back skills as well as redistribute your innate starting stats.

If you use the sell back gem on a specialized skill it drops it from specialized to trained.

• Options
    edited December 2008
    Oh, sweet! Perfect =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I wonder... if you were to max out Magic Defense, would it make you pretty much immune to anyone's offensive/debuff spells?

Magic seems to be the only thing that hurts me at the moment, but I remember putting points into magic defense as being a fairly futile thing to do back in the day.

If it would actually prevent high level spells from hitting me consistently though, it could be worth it. Maybe even worth specializing in.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I wonder... if you were to max out Magic Defense, would it make you pretty much immune to anyone's offensive/debuff spells?

Magic seems to be the only thing that hurts me at the moment, but I remember putting points into magic defense as being a fairly futile thing to do back in the day.

If it would actually prevent high level spells from hitting me consistently though, it could be worth it. Maybe even worth specializing in.

Lots of the "lamer" pks will spec magic D because it gives them a pretty big margine of error compared to the other PKs, along with cantrips can make you almost unhittable to mid level monsters. Once you get up to the end dungeon it will still offer you a fair amount of protection. But I wouldn't specialize this until end game.

• Options
    edited December 2008
    Ahh, okay.

I'm not interested in PKing whatsoever, but I do want to make sure that I don't die just because some loser AI spams three magic spells at me in a row. I remember that was the biggest cause of my death back when I used to play. I'd be doing fine, and then *blast* *blast* *blast* dead.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Seg wrote: »
    stuff stuff blah blah

Seriously, can't take eyes off your avatar. Mu fan? :P

So is there something I'm missing as far as the "omg level 26 already olol!" thing? I played for about 2 hours today (after the retarded long patch time), and just did the Holtburg starting dungeon. I got all the parts of the farmer quest (the 3 feed bags and the drudge head), but haven't turned them in.

I died a lot. It's because of my low strength and endurance. I know that.

But after 2 hours, I'm level 6. So am I missing something? Or are people exaggerating? :P

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    stuff stuff blah blah

So is there something I'm missing as far as the "omg level 26 already olol!" thing? I played for about 2 hours today (after the retarded long patch time), and just did the Holtburg starting dungeon. I got all the parts of the farmer quest (the 3 feed bags and the drudge head), but haven't turned them in.

But after 2 hours, I'm level 6. So am I missing something? Or are people exaggerating? :P

People aren't exaggerating, it's just that the leveling curve isn't as heavy unless you know what you are doing.

(level 1-50ish in 2 hours is my record)

• Options
    edited December 2008
    stuff stuff blah blah

Buffbots + Olthoi.

There's a buffbot in Holtburg named Croft Lara (yeah, I know, original).

Go to the tailor in Holtburg and purchase a hooded faran robe. Go to the smith and get chainmail gloves.

/tell croft lara, xbow
    /tell croft lara, buffarmor

The bot will buff you and your xbow (as long as you're holding it) with a full set of level 7's. Then she'll open a trade window with you. Put your robe and gauntlets (which you should be wearing) into the trade window but don't trade it and don't close it. She'll "detect" the items. Then /tell her a bane command like allbane, olthoibane, etc to get the robe/gaunts buffed.

Then, when that's done, run down the hill to the Redspire portal.

From Redspire, run to Olthoi Arcade at [39.0N, 81.2W].

The top floor has Olthoi Harvesters which are under level 20 and you should be able to start by killing those. They get tougher (and worth more xp) each floor you go down.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Does anyone need to be sworn in? I know I have been out of game recently, but I got fable 2 on friday...the end man, that game is so fun I might die.

On another note, the skill drop/add quests have changed.

Now when you do them you get 3 tokens from each (3 raise, 3 lower) to change your build as you wish, once you pick up the 3rd one in each respective dungeon it starts a 7 day timer, from that time on, you only get 1 token every 7 days. This is very important to note because if you pick up some misc raise token for later in your build, but needed a different one for right now. You have to wait 7 days.

Also you can pick up a ton of stat raise/lower gems at once...I think its 10 every 7 days.

I went from archer to melee in the span of 7 seconds. Its a one shot deal (with the 3 tokens at once thingy) so plan it out if your going to change your build.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    stuff stuff blah blah

I am not sure what Mu is.

Seg on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    stuff stuff blah blah

I am not sure what Mu is.

Heh ok.

On second glance at the page, it's considerably different.

We were referring to Sashi Mu, a ranter (sometimes whiner) who was actually pretty funny, and active in the game from beta 1 to about a year after launch. Read the AC rants, but beware that the layout is retarded. You have to start at the bottom entry and read up. D:

That said, it's a fun look back at beta for those of us who were in it. Remembering Wardiel's campaign, and the first sign to all of us there would be an evolving story in an MMO? Awesome.

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Aye, it's not even worth doing the starter quests anymore. The Olthoi arcade was where it was at.

After that, come with me to the Lair of Death. They added a lower part to the dungeon that's full of Olthoi soldiers and Nobles, which go for almost 20k xp a pop. There's dozens, possibly hundreds, down there... and they spawn so quickly you barely have time to pick up loot.

Now granted, I haven't made it from 1-50 in 2 hours like Seg did (impressive!), but I did make it 1-40 over the last week (which is several orders of magnitude faster than the last time I played =) ).

VThornheart on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Woah. What a blast from the past. Seeing this thread made me miss the old days of MMOs. You know... The time when you first get into an MMO, where everything seems SO huge and that it could take you years to explore everything.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Aye, it's not even worth doing the starter quests anymore. The Olthoi arcade was where it was at.

After that, come with me to the Lair of Death. They added a lower part to the dungeon that's full of Olthoi soldiers and Nobles, which go for almost 20k xp a pop. There's dozens, possibly hundreds, down there... and they spawn so quickly you barely have time to pick up loot.

Now granted, I haven't made it from 1-50 in 2 hours like Seg did (impressive!), but I did make it 1-40 over the last week (which is several orders of magnitude faster than the last time I played =) ).

1-50 in 2 hours was Bendery, my record to 50 is a fair bit longer.

Seg on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Woah. What a blast from the past. Seeing this thread made me miss the old days of MMOs. You know... The time when you first get into an MMO, where everything seems SO huge and that it could take you years to explore everything.

Yeah! That was such a great feeling!

Man, I remember starting at Holtburg a week after the game came out... someone wanted to go to Shoushi... stepping through the portal, it was like we found a whole new world. I was worried that I'd never find my way back to Holtburg again. =)

Ahh, sorry about that as well Seg, it was Bendery indeed. =) I can't imagine leveling that quickly personally, I'd like to know how he did it =) EDIT: Then again, I never imagined getting to 40 in a week either, so I guess anything's possible. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    littwentythreelittwentythree Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm starting to feel the pain of my Martyr Mage's uselessness. The gimmick is still kind of fun, at least.

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    =( =( Oh, we can respec you though, run you through that quest if need be!

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    urahonky wrote: »

Yeah! That was such a great feeling!

Man, I remember starting at Holtburg a week after the game came out... someone wanted to go to Shoushi... stepping through the portal, it was like we found a whole new world. I was worried that I'd never find my way back to Holtburg again. =)

Ahh, sorry about that as well Seg, it was Bendery indeed. =) I can't imagine leveling that quickly personally, I'd like to know how he did it =) EDIT: Then again, I never imagined getting to 40 in a week either, so I guess anything's possible. =)

Rare buff gems, a good friend, and the Fen dungeon.

You can kill Fens fairly quickly with the buff gems (+250 to a skill for 10 minutes and it stacks) and a friend casting vulns on them.

You start at level 5, and then it's off to the races. Cost me somewere between 3000 and 5000 plats if you include the equipment i was wearing. getting to 50 is the hard part, once you've done that you can go from 50-100 in about an hour, then 100-200 in a couple days. But you miss a lot of exploration, so I would only advise doing this to raise alts. I did this with my spear alt (nobody uses spears anymore, i wanted to fix that)

• Options
    edited December 2008
    Ahh, neat! I could definitely see how you could level quickly with gems like that. Where do you get them?

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Ahh, neat! I could definitely see how you could level quickly with gems like that. Where do you get them?

Rare drops, if you have the expansion your character will just randomly find them. You get a little dungeon notice too, where anyone in the area sees "Hey, Bendery found a Mace Gem!"

• Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So, when does the decemeber event hit? Has the content production kept up the pace?

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    And then you all jump on him and take it. =)

Oh yeah! Content patches! I want to see Dereth covered in snow again. =) That always made me so happy. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    And then you all jump on him and take it. =)

Oh yeah! Content patches! I want to see Dereth covered in snow again. =) That always made me so happy. =)

The corpse gets locked, fellow members can't loot it for 20 minutes and the corpse lasts for a while.

• Options
    edited December 2008
    ah, lol =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    seabass wrote: »
    So, when does the decemeber event hit? Has the content production kept up the pace?

No idea, but they missed the November update (i.e. there was none).

Also, yea, Olthoi Arcade, holy shit. In 5 minutes, I made it from 6-10, and that was going leisurely. With normal quarrels.

Going to buy blunts now. :P

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The thread has risen from the grave ehh? Soclaim you say? I may just see you gents there yet.

Problem though, I want to upgrade my spare account to the full version, any idea how to do this? The online purchase doesn't seem to give me the option, it just wants to make a new account. Am i stuck purchasing a physical disk?

Edit* bah figured it out. Both accounts upgraded and rolling. Well see what my tolerance for the grind is this time :)

Blood Drive on
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    God damn you people, don't make me want to come back again!

Comahawk on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I haven't been able to be on in a while... my wife's become malcontent that she has no one to play WoW with since we moved, and she finally dropped the "I'd like to play with you" hint. Playing WoW is painful after spending a week in AC... it's like going from being a superhero to being Jim the Janitor, with the comparatively low amounts of loot and the fact that you can't really attack more than 1-2 units at a time before you die... if this keeps up, I'm going to try and convince her to play AC instead since her friends don't seem to be able to play WoW with her anymore anyways.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    How hard is it to solo level now?

I see you guys talking about leveling 1-50 in a few hours and I'm assuming that is being power leveled?

Comahawk on