As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3/360, they both match my hi-fi now, which do I buy?

• Options
    robcat09robcat09 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    robcat09 wrote: »
    No, I am not slamming Live for offering Genesis games. I'm saying there seems to be more original games designed especially for the PS3 network than there are for the Xbox Live network, and Live has been around quite a bit longer. Things are taken out of context when a thread starts getting really long. If the Xbox Live Arcade offered the same amount of original titles as the PS3 had then of course I wouldn't mind there ALSO being Ecco the Dolphin. Hell, PSN has Q-Bert! If that's all there was I'd have a hard time defending that ;-)
    Original games on the XBLA:

Aegis Wign
    Assault Heroes
    Boom Boom Rocket
    Cloning Clyde
    Pac-Man CE
    Small Arms
    Space Giraffe
    TotemBall
    Pinball FX
    Novadrome
    Street Trace
    Band of Bugs

The main thing about the orignal games being made for XBLA are they mostly fall in the casual area like the rest of the games on XBLA

Yay! Thats the list I'm looking for. THANK YOU. How many of these are good games? I'll have to check them out.

Yeah, it is clear to me now that Microsoft and Sony are choosing different approaches to their marketplace content.

robcat09 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    I work 8 hours a day at an IT helpdesk job... where all I can do is surf the web and wait on calls. I have an excuse. ;)

Well I've definitely learned how compelling and addicting it can be to contribute to a newsgroup discussion about something you are passionate about. If i had a similar job I'm sure I'd be right here with you every day.

but it's now been 7 hours of refreshing this thread so i think it's time to turn in my hat. I came across as a jerk to some or most people and that was not my intention, but i don't really care either way.

I haven't been convinced that there is enough content exclusively on the xbox 360 to justify a purchase when a personal already has an adequate PC for modern games. The list of available arcade games hasn't helped sway my opinion, either.

It's been fun.

robcat09 on
  • Options
    DaybreakDaybreak Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    People who try to defend the PS3 with valid arguments are shut down by the vast majority of people on here who are Xbox fans. You have to fight very hard to get your point across. I don't mind sounding like a jerk if I am getting valid points across and getting people to THINK for themselves and not jump on the xbox bandwagon because it's the 'cool' console.

This is why the iPod sells so well. A mob mentality begins to form when people stop thinking for themselves and choose the thing that is most popular. It feels good to have the thing that everyone else has. People feel uncomfortable when they aren't doing the socially acceptable thing.

Statements like this aren't helping your case. You've basically called anyone who has/wants a 360 a mindless sheep, and you've also managed to ignore all the valid reasons for owning the console under the heading of it being the "cool" console.

Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I bought the 360 because of price and games offered (not, in fact, because all the cool kids own it. We all know the cool kids own a Wii). Outside of FF, I can't think of a game/franchise that excites me in regards to the PS3.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    I don't exactly have strong views on this, since I've only played PS3 for a few hours (and it was a sports title, so it's not exactly representative of many of the PS3's pluses), but:

If a kind man sent me a check tonight for $500, I could walk to Best Buy and spend it all on 360 games and enjoy each one of them. I could not do the same with PS3 games.

My 360 is sitting in my house, bought with a lot of my hard earned money- and I wouldn't want it if I didn't have plenty of reasons to keep it. Those dozen+ games I could get tomorrow morning are my reasons. It has good games. Many good games. Buy it. :)

Organichu on
  • Options
    chesspiecefacechesspieceface Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yay! Thats the list I'm looking for. THANK YOU. How many of these are good games? I'll have to check them out.

Yeah, it is clear to me now that Microsoft and Sony are choosing different approaches to their marketplace content.
    Aegis Wing (Pretty good sidescrolling shooter when playing multiplayer, plus it's a free download)

Assault Heroes (Very good game, a new vertical shooter in the vien of Icari warriors.)

Boom Boom Rocket (I hear some people swear by this but i don't like it. pretty simple rythm game)

Cloning Clyde (another game which gets some decent nods, never played it myself)

Pac-Man CE (This is awesome, One of the shining examples of the strengths of microsofts XBLA strategy.)

Small Arms (A pretty good Smash Brothers clone. Not as much depth as SB but also much cheaper.)

Space Giraffe (This is a love it or hate it game. If you like tempest you might just like this one.)

TotemBall (probably not worth putting on this list. or any for that matter. this is a freebie with the vision camera and free is a little too much.)

Pinball FX (A decent game for pinball fans, but does have some issues. I'm a big fan of pinball simulators and i think the physics of the ball in this game just moves too fast. YMMV.)

Novadrome (Don't know much about this game other than when i first heard about it I thought about how much i wanted to see a port of Rock 'N Roll Racing come to XBLA.)

Street Trace (No clue. )

Band of Bugs (This is a great game. One of the few games which i think can benefit from the Lumines style release system. Hopefully they will keep supporting this with added content.)

chesspieceface on
    WillieTannerBuilds - Youtube (Let's Play series including Minecraft, Terraria, Age of Empires and more.)
    Willie Tanner Livestream
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm perplexed by some of the arguments being made in this thread, but I'm going to stay out of the sticky and just raise this point.

Seeing as much of the argument has basically drifted away from the original question by the OP, I think it's fair to point out that there are a lot of gamers who have a low to medium grade PC (such as myself) who are getting sick of PC gaming and hardware. I used to be PC hardcore, buying an upgrade or two every six months and tweaking things, etc. Now that I work fulltime, surrounded by all kinds of IT, I really enjoy just flaking out on the couch playing on a console.

So, for me the whole "but the Xbox 360 will have all/most of its games come out on the PC" is moot. I prefer the console experience, it's a lot more turnkey and simplistic from some points of view. From my viewpoint, as someone who already has a Wii, has a cutting edge PC from about 2.5-3 years ago and has little interest right now in upgrading, I will be purchasing an Xbox 360 this November. This particular choice was pushed by Mass Effect, but I would have bought earlier if I wasn't organising stuff like buying a damn house.

Just my 2 cents.

devoir on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Christ...

If anybody wants to get an actual idea of what the majority of the PS3 owning community is like on these boards, go to the Warhawk thread.

As far as this robcat09 twit goes, you can just get the fuck out. I prefer my PS3 to the 360, and you're making me ashamed of it. You too, zephyr. You're like a zit that won't fucking pop.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Christ...

If anybody wants to get an actual idea of what the majority of the PS3 owning community is like on these boards, go to the Warhawk thread.

As far as this robcat09 twit goes, you can just get the fuck out. I prefer my PS3 to the 360, and you're making me ashamed of it. You too, zephyr. You're like a zit that won't fucking pop.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I really wish I could edit. Don't know how that happened with the post time limit.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Organichu wrote: »
    I don't exactly have strong views on this, since I've only played PS3 for a few hours (and it was a sports title, so it's not exactly representative of many of the PS3's pluses), but:

If a kind man sent me a check tonight for $500, I could walk to Best Buy and spend it all on 360 games and enjoy each one of them. I could not do the same with PS3 games.

My 360 is sitting in my house, bought with a lot of my hard earned money- and I wouldn't want it if I didn't have plenty of reasons to keep it. Those dozen+ games I could get tomorrow morning are my reasons. It has good games. Many good games. Buy it. :)

why would you need $500 worth of games all at once?
    Seriously, that's like 8 games. That's very short-term thinking. Maybe you should up it to $1,000 ;-)

It's not difficult to find 8 games worth purchasing on the PS3, don't kid yourself.

People talk as if they have stopped making games for these consoles and the only reasons to have them are for the games currently out. Haven't you guys owned consoles from previous generations? Haven't they lasted many years? don't the best games for a console come out after a few years of its release?

You spent your hard-earned money on a console so that it will give you lasting enjoyment over many years.

When I chose the PS3 over the 360, it was because I felt the technology had longer legs and ultimately provided better value. A few hundred dollars more initally is nothing if I am still using the thing for a few years longer than the alternative that was initially cheaper.

robcat09 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Christ...

Why do you say that? What have I said to offend you?

robcat09 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Christ...

You know what? If you are indeed a shill, you've probably done more to drive people away from the PS3 than anything else. If you aren't, you'd do best to retreat and lurk some more. There are reasonable, intelligent, rational PS3 owners on this board, and you just aren't one of them. You are the stereotyped fanboy made manifest, and you make those of use that like our PS3s look like morons. I don't appreciate it, I have a hard enough fucking time here because of that as it is.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    Organichu wrote: »

why would you need $500 worth of games all at once?
    Seriously, that's like 8 games. That's very short-term thinking. Maybe you should up it to $1,000 ;-)

It's not difficult to find 8 games worth purchasing on the PS3, don't kid yourself.

People talk as if they have stopped making games for these consoles and the only reasons to have them are for the games currently out. Haven't you guys owned consoles from previous generations? Haven't they lasted many years? don't the best games for a console come out after a few years of its release? [

You spent your hard-earned money on a console so that it will give you lasting enjoyment over many years.

When I chose the PS3 over the 360, it was because I felt the technology had longer legs and ultimately provided better value. A few hundred dollars more initally is nothing if I am still using the thing for a few years longer than the alternative that was initially cheaper.

You're skewing the value judgement by suggesting that the worth of PS3 games will continue to rise while those of the 360 (which are already stellar) will somehow falter. A first generation of great games + a second generation of great games > a first generation of crappy games + a second generation of great games- isn't it?

It's pretty ballsy to hope that the PS3 will eventually just "catch up" to the 360. 360'ers have quite a head start, and nothing to suggest slowing- Bioshock, one of the most well-regarded games of the year, was released only 2 weeks ago.

Organichu on
  • Options
    xboxxerxboxxer Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Heh ... this of course is probably some sort of post-breakup anger here (my 8 month old xbox broke 1 week before Bioshock hit, and is sitting somewhere in a Microsoft repair center), but I'd vote for the PS3 (and I don't even have one).

Reasons:
    -New PS3's lack true hardware PS2 backward compatibility, so there is actually a benefit to buying one now vs later.
    -Current Xbox 360's are prone to breakage (see above). Even with the 3 year warranty, that's still a month of being without console (and paying for Live, I might add). New 360's with a cooler running 65 nm chipset hopefully will be more reliable. So there is actually a benefit to buying one later vs now.
    -As has been noted, if you've got a decent PC, many 360 games are PC/360.

xboxxer on
    PSN: Entair / XBLive: White Seraph
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Christ...

You know what? If you are indeed a shill, you've probably done more to drive people away from the PS3 than anything else. If you aren't, you'd do best to retreat and lurk some more. There are reasonable, intelligent, rational PS3 owners on this board, and you just aren't one of them. You are the stereotyped fanboy made manifest, and you make those of use that like our PS3s look like morons. I don't appreciate it, I have a hard enough fucking time here because of that as it is.

Wait. Maybe he's an xbox shill???

Woah. I just blew my mind.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The Xbox 360 hardware has been revised and updated continually. What you are seeing now in terms of the truly significant breakages is the delayed effect of earlier batches of consoles from before Microsoft announced they had fixed most, if not all, of the problems they had identified with previous hardware revisions. It will probably take 6-9 months for the new hardware to filter out from the repair centres and retail outlets for the huge number of faults to start to dwindle.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Christ...

The problem with shills is that they assume most forums are like Gamefaqs or Gametrailers. The front page of Penny Arcade filters out most of those troglodytes, and the forumers themselves slake their unquenchable thirst for blood on the rest that get through, destroying them on contact. What's left is, in general, a distilled collection of people with intensely focused witticisms and angst that can rail with the best of them, and robcat's either an unwitting victim or a guy that drew the short straw at work.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I am now profoundly scared of shills now. Thanks Wonder_Hippie!

urahonky on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Christ...

The problem with shills is that they assume most forums are like Gamefaqs or Gametrailers. The front page of Penny Arcade filters out most of those troglodytes, and the forumers themselves slake their unquenchable thirst for blood on the rest that get through, destroying them on contact. What's left is, in general, a distilled collection of people with intensely focused witticisms and angst that can rail with the best of them, and robcat's either an unwitting victim or a guy that drew the short straw at work.

:!:
    :lol: Well done!

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    xboxxerxboxxer Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    The Xbox 360 hardware has been revised and updated continually. What you are seeing now in terms of the truly significant breakages is the delayed effect of earlier batches of consoles from before Microsoft announced they had fixed most, if not all, of the problems they had identified with previous hardware revisions. It will probably take 6-9 months for the new hardware to filter out from the repair centres and retail outlets for the huge number of faults to start to dwindle.

Definitely going to need some actual proof on this please. I've heard rumors of the new chipsets slowly making their way to retail (not certain where I heard this), but aside from this, I've not heard much.

When did MS announce that they'd fixed most/all of the previous hardware problems? My console was made essentially 10 months after launch, and didn't make it to one year with very limited play time, and that irks me to no end.

And on the My-360-broke-ON thread, people are getting BROKEN refurbs from the repair center. If MS had really fixed their HW problems, wouldn't it make sense for them to start sending them out to replace the broken boxes? At the end of the day, if MS sends me a repaired 360 that breaks again right away, they've

-wasted their money
    -wasted my time
    -and lowered my loyalty to them even more

Again, I suspect that eventually the new 360's will be built to last, but I would need actual proof before I'd believe that time was now.

xboxxer on
    PSN: Entair / XBLive: White Seraph
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The silence rings a tone of truth.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    devoir wrote: »

I have yet to see proof of this, I have seen pictures of the new heatsink but that really doesnt' prove to me that the hardware is fixed until really we see the new 65 nm boards, I think that will ultimately be the determining factor because before than I still have no way to trust in the 360 hardware even though I own one.

Lothars on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

what does that mean? Are you saying I was silent because I had nothing to say? I was busy playing some games.

i've always known that the people contributing to penny arcade forums are a sharp, cynical very opinionated bunch. I do feel like i have been attacked for expressing my opinions. i'm still not sure exactly what I have said that makes people think I am a shill. The fact that I like the Playstation brand TOO MUCH?

I do not have much experience writing in forums and i jumped into this thread with an adventurous spirit in the hopes of bringing up valid arguments as to why the original poster would prefer a PS3 over a 360, being that he already had a PC. In my mind, it is still redundant to own both a well equipt PC and a 360.

I just finished a round of Lair (up to level 8 now) and before that leveled up my characters in Jeane D'arc on my PSP, so I am indeed a sony fanboy beyond help. ;-)

I don't appreciate the attacks and accusations made at me so this will most likely be the last thread I participate in on this forum for a while.

I am an avid gamer, and find the console war of this generation to be an interesting one and look forward to seeing how it all plays out in the coming years.

robcat09 on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

what does that mean? Are you saying I was silent because I had nothing to say? I was busy playing some games.

i've always known that the people contributing to penny arcade forums are a sharp, cynical very opinionated bunch. I do feel like i have been attacked for expressing my opinions. i'm still not sure exactly what I have said that makes people think I am a shill. The fact that I like the Playstation brand TOO MUCH?

I do not have much experience writing in forums and i jumped into this thread with an adventurous spirit in the hopes of bringing up valid arguments as to why the original poster would prefer a PS3 over a 360, being that he already had a PC. In my mind, it is still redundant to own both a well equipt PC and a 360.

I just finished a round of Lair (up to level 8 now) and before that leveled up my characters in Jeane D'arc on my PSP, so I am indeed a sony fanboy beyond help. ;-)

I don't appreciate the attacks and accusations made at me so this will most likely be the last thread I participate in on this forum for a while.

I am an avid gamer, and find the console war of this generation to be an interesting one and look forward to seeing how it all plays out in the coming years.

Protip: being a jerk in your first day of posting doesn't endear yourself to the Penny Arcade population.

Also, it would help if you sounded like a human being with well rounded, thoughtful interests and opinions rather than a MUST DEFEND (insert company here) GRAAAAAHHH machine.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah. Well. My 360 broke three times and I'd still buy another one over a PS3. Why would I pay more for an cell-processor powered unbreakable glossy box that offers a second-rate gaming experience? It's not a bias; if the 360 didn't have such a massive range of awesome games released and soon-to-be-released, I wouldn't take this position.

Also, if it's redundant to own a PC and a 360, wouldn't it be even more redundant to own a PS3 and PC? I mean, given that it's a mouse-keyboard cancer-curing web-browsing super computer and all?

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Protip: being a jerk in your first day of posting doesn't endear yourself to the Penny Arcade population.

Also, it would help if you sounded like a human being with well rounded, thoughtful interests and opinions rather than a MUST DEFEND (insert company here) GRAAAAAHHH machine.

Well, that's what this thread is about. Defending a console to justify a purchase.
    how was I being a jerk anyway?

robcat09 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yeah. Well. My 360 broke three times and I'd still buy another one over a PS3. Why would I pay more for an cell-processor powered unbreakable glossy box that offers a second-rate gaming experience? It's not a bias; if the 360 didn't have such a massive range of awesome games released and soon-to-be-released, I wouldn't take this position.

Also, if it's redundant to own a PC and a 360, wouldn't it be even more redundant to own a PS3 and PC? I mean, given that it's a mouse-keyboard cancer-curing web-browsing super computer and all?

not at all, because the games are mutually exclusive. You aint gonna see Ratchet and Clank on the PC no matter how long you wait. The fact that I can browse the web and cure cancer with my PS3 is gravy. The fact that I can watch blu-ray movies on it is nice, too. But it's all about the games, and the MAJORITY of quality 360 games will in fact be on the PC.

You italicize 'super computer' as if it were a bad thing ;-)

robcat09 on
  • Options
    ChildrenChildren Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    How much could a company possibly be willing to pay a person to post on forums?

Anyway, to the OP, despite what anyone tells you, the 360 and the PS3 are more or less the same product. Look at the different exclusives, the price difference, XBLA vs. PSN ect. While keeping in mind that its all really very similar, either way you are getting a HD capable console for a few hundred bucks.

Personally, I chose a 360. Not getting to own MGS3 will kinda suck, but w/e

Oh and btw "the MAJORITY of quality 360 games will in fact be on the PC."
    Did you see this with your crystal ball?

Children on
    360 tag: A Blue Mushroom
    skate, halo 3
  • Options
    fkn creepfkn creep Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    having owned both, i say the 360
    i got a ps3, played resistance which imo is really, really boring. then i tried call of duty 3 which blew up my ps3 in the sense that it never turned on again after freezing. so i replaced it at Circuit City. A week later, I needed money and the PS3 wasn't blowing me away like a 600 dollar investment should even after trying Motorstorm and that game with the amoebas. So I returned the PS3 and got an Elite instead when it came out (this was all early April.) I've been much more satisfied with the 360 because of the availability of good software. I really liked the PS3's interface but the whole first one dying kinda put me off. It seemed like it could do great things but at the time it didn't justify 600 to me.

also i refuse to update my pc rig ever again
    fucking moneypit.. don't see how people spitting about the ps3's insane price aren't up in arms about the ripoff pc industry

fkn creep on
    t1g3rstyl3.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I Italicise because it's marketing spin. This is living mirite!

You're right; lots of 360 games will eventually be ported to both PC, and probably the PS3 too. That doesn't diminish the fact the 360 is the cheaper, simpler and faster way to experience them.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Children wrote: »
    How much could a company possibly be willing to pay a person to post on forums?

Anyway, to the OP, despite what anyone tells you, the 360 and the PS3 are more or less the same product. Look at the different exclusives, the price difference, XBLA vs. PSN ect. While keeping in mind that its all really very similar, either way you are getting a HD capable console for a few hundred bucks.

Personally, I chose a 360. Not getting to own MGS3 will kinda suck, but w/e

Oh and btw "the MAJORITY of quality 360 games will in fact be on the PC."
    Did you see this with your crystal ball?

I'm basing that on the fact that:
    Gears of War is coming to the PC
    Halo 1 and 2 were ported. Doesn't take a crystal ball to see the trend there.
    KOTOR 1 and 2 were PC games. Jade Empire was ported. Mass Effect - what do YOU think will happen?
    Many of the most recent 360 exclusive titles had simultaneous or near simultaneous releases on the PC, such as Shadowrun and Lost Planet. Hell, Call of Juarez and Dark Messiah originated on the PC and were ported to 360!

Guys, it is very easy for Microsoft to port from 360 to PC, they are similar in design. It BENEFITS Microsoft to have their biggest games across both platforms because they OWN both platforms! They are working hard at keeping the 'Games for Windows' brand alive and kicking.

robcat09 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Lothars wrote: »
    I have yet to see proof of this, I have seen pictures of the new heatsink but that really doesnt' prove to me that the hardware is fixed until really we see the new 65 nm boards, I think that will ultimately be the determining factor because before than I still have no way to trust in the 360 hardware even though I own one.

Everyone's pinning everything on the 65nm chips. They alone are going to have little impact on the 360 as a whole. It's everything else. The 360 generates a lot of heat, the general design did not accomodate that very well. It's not so much the bits that get put into it, but more how they're put together. RROD is generally caused by warping of the board, causing the contacts to break away. 65nm is going to have fuck all impact on that. Whereas the change in heatsinks, the way the heatsinks are fixed to the boards, they will have an impact and those changes have been slowly filtered in since these problems started.

It's also not just the stuff you see. Production and parts quality is apparently something of an issue when you're dealing with the sheer volume of manufacturers and suppliers involved in getting a 360 to your lounge room.

I'm not saying that the 360 is suddenly perfect from a hardware point of view, but having read a lot about the faults, the 360's design and also what's been done to combat it, I'm pretty damn sure that:

a) there's no point in looking to the 65nm chips as a magic bullet
    b) hardware revisions have been going on near constantly since they started identifying problems.
    c) I could be wrong, I'm just a n00b on the internet voicing an opinion

In regards to the poster that had the problem with being sent a broken 360 - do you think they did that on purpose, that it's somehow part of some greater conspiracy to show up their failings even more than they have already? Imagine how many 360s they're dealing with replacing right now; I'd be looking at it as human error, not that they're just throwing out pieces of junk to try and infuriate you more.

As I said in my first post - it will likely take 6-9 months to see 360s in both 'channels' repair and retail hitting the hardware standard that Microsoft wants. Units that have been repaired won't be as good as a unit that's been manufactured with all the fixes built in from scratch, and there will be a large amount of stock that will have varying degrees of hardware fixes and revisions inside them.

Unless Microsoft was to recall every single 360 and then replace them, you are going to see ongoing issues. Again, by my estimation you'd be looking at 6-9 months for the tide to turn, so to speak. Even then you will see units fail, but unless they're complete and utter liars, significant progress will have been made and you should be confident that a 360 you buy will:

a) be solid and work
    b) be repaired swiftly and conclusively if a) doesn't happen

I know that people hate having shit that's broken, and I will admit right now that I have not bought a 360, I have not experienced your frustration. But as an outside observer and someone about to buy one in the next couple of months, this is what I understand from reading post after news item after press release after 360 deconstruction to figure out whether my soon-to-be purchase would be a wise one.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I'm basing that on the fact that:
    Gears of War is coming to the PC
    Halo 1 and 2 were ported. Doesn't take a crystal ball to see the trend there.
    KOTOR 1 and 2 were PC games. Jade Empire was ported. Mass Effect - what do YOU think will happen?
    Many of the most recent 360 exclusive titles had simultaneous or near simultaneous releases on the PC, such as Shadowrun and Lost Planet. Hell, Call of Juarez and Dark Messiah originated on the PC and were ported to 360!

Again, doesn't diminish the fact that the 360 is the cheapest, fastest, simplest platform upon which to experience these games.
    Guys, it is very easy for Microsoft to port from 360 to PC, they are similar in design. It BENEFITS Microsoft to have their biggest games across both platforms because they OWN both platforms! They are working hard at keeping the 'Games for Windows' brand alive and kicking.

It's good for all developers to develop for multiple platforms, unless you're unhappy all those 360 games are being ported to PS3 too? It's better for all of us the more games that are available on multiple platforms because it means we're given a choice. Unless, you know, you want to push one platform as being superior to another somehow.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    fkn creep wrote: »
    having owned both, i say the 360
    i got a ps3, played resistance which imo is really, really boring. then i tried call of duty 3 which blew up my ps3 in the sense that it never turned on again after freezing. so i replaced it at Circuit City. A week later, I needed money and the PS3 wasn't blowing me away like a 600 dollar investment should even after trying Motorstorm and that game with the amoebas. So I returned the PS3 and got an Elite instead when it came out (this was all early April.) I've been much more satisfied with the 360 because of the availability of good software. I really liked the PS3's interface but the whole first one dying kinda put me off. It seemed like it could do great things but at the time it didn't justify 600 to me.

also i refuse to update my pc rig ever again
    fucking moneypit.. don't see how people spitting about the ps3's insane price aren't up in arms about the ripoff pc industry

You're sounding as if the PS3 is the one that's been the less reliable of the two. You were pretty unlucky to have gotten a defective PS3, but of course with any hardware there will be defective units. I've never seen that more apparent than with the 360's and the 3 red lights problem.

Resistance is one of my favorite FPS and I've played all of the PC shooters. You obviously didn't spend enough time with it. If you are a fan of the genre, it is a shining example of it done RIGHT. It is quite difficult, though, which I know turned some people off.

Trying to find immediate justification of $600 spent on a game console is a bit unrealistic. It is not a 'use-it-and-dispose-of-it' item, it is something that will last for YEARS. If you are an early adopter you have to be willing to give the thing time to grow.

The game with the amoebas is AWESOME, btw

robcat09 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I don't get the whole "Well if you have a super bad ass PC then you should just get xxx console."

If you have a super bad ass PC, you're probably in the position to buy both the 360 and the PS3 and just pick which platform is best for any game that is multiplatform.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Resistance is one of my favorite FPS and I've played all of the PC shooters. You obviously didn't spend enough time with it. If you are a fan of the genre, it is a shining example of it done RIGHT. It is quite difficult, though, which I know turned some people off.

Wait, so you're saying that anyone's opinion who disagrees with you is wrong?

Dude, they're opinions. Jesus, the fact that you so casually brush off any dissenting opinion as just wrong, and something that can be remedied by spending more time with your particular hobby horse says a whole lot about you.

devoir on
  • Options
    fkn creepfkn creep Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    man knowing me i smoked a good amount of weed before that amoeba game and it was still boring
    that's got to tell you something about the quality

you're truly grasping at straws mang!!

fkn creep on
    t1g3rstyl3.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm sick and tired of all this fanboy back and forth.

Go buy a Wii. Sure, it won't look that great on your new setup, but at least it is fun.

or better yet, go adopt a puppy. They are cute and don't usually start fanboy arguments.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    ChildrenChildren Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    :lol:

Children on
    360 tag: A Blue Mushroom
    skate, halo 3