As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A horrid green line

MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys, for the last few days there's been this green line going vertically down my screen. I tried to get a screenshot, but I get it's the actual hardware. So, I took the liberty of drawing my problem:

I think it might be pixel burn in or something like that, but I want to be sure before I do anything drastic. Does anyone have any idea what this could be, and more importantly, how the hell I could fix it?

Meissnerd on

• Options
    GorgeeenGorgeeen __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Monitor is on it's way out. Over time you will see more of these lines appear.

I estimate about 6 months to live. Sorry.

Gorgeeen on
    No god damnit! The sheriff is a nig*Church Bells*r!!
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Pensies are "just kinda ugly" any way you slice it.

Or don't slice it.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Damn, this is a laptop too. D:

Nothing I can do, except save for a new computer?

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You can replace the display on a laptop. It's a pain in the ass and you need a display from the exact same kind of laptop, but you can do it. If the laptop is under warranty, get them to replace it. If not and it's sufficiently old, see if you can find a stripped or busted one with a good display on eBay, download the service manual for the laptop model off the manufacturer's website, and go to town.

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    So I would just contact the maker, ship it off and have them handle it? I might just do that.

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I am currently typing this on my brothers laptop, which has had the exact same problem (green line going halfway up the screen). This monitor has lasted for over 1.5 years with no more degradation. If it gets worse, replace it.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    CojonesCojones Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    http://www.jscreenfix.com/

You might want to try something like this to add a little longevity to your monitor but it'd certainly be a case of delaying the inevitable.

Cojones on
    exmac.png
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've been replacing dead/dying LCD units with replacements from these guys since my boss saw them featured in Maximum PC once. The colors tends to be a little different off the hop than the original screen, but it's nothing a little Control Panel tweaking won't fix.

Ruckus on