As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's play Silent Storm! EDIT: Update page 4

Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Games and Technology
ss1.jpg

Nazis comin’ up the hell right now! Are you a bad enough dude to stop them?
I apologize in advance for the questionable quality of the screenshots they look fine in MS word but I'm working on trying to find out how to make them look better.

ss2.jpg

Nope, but we are bad enough to join them. Meet SuperHitler A-Number one, a non-cyborg regular super soldier from the not too distant present, the present being World War 2 that is. Super H is a fairly badass sniper.

ss3.jpg

And now for some reason he looks like Patrick Stewart. An Evil Nazi Patrick Stewart with a sniper rifle.

ss4.jpg

We start the game and see Michael Jackson randomly shoot a Nazi in cold blood. We can only hope the plot involves time traveling pop stars taking part in daring acts such as daring high speed train heists.

ss5.jpg

The newly renamed ‘The Evil Nazi Patrick Stewart’ gets harassed by some random asshat who asks him if he saw Michael Jackson and his cronies kill the bank guard, steal the corpse, possibly for some bizarre ritual and blow up the safe. Technically we did see all this since we are just watched it all play out via a cutscene, but revealing to this NPC that he is actually in a videogame, created purely for our own entertainment may blow his little mind.

truth-of-max-payne.jpg

Let’s humor him for now and say we saw nothing to save his sanity. After telling us what we already know, the conversation ends and the NPC runs away, blissfully unaware of his own purpose in life.

ss6.jpg

The smooth criminals come running out of the bank and instead of jumping in their car and driving off, they simply stare at our hero, probably wondering why there is a Nazi version of Patrick Stewart wandering around in the middle of the night with a fully loaded sniper rifle. While Michael and his cronies stand around pondering this baffling turn of events, Pat takes the opportunity to set himself up for a much overused internet meme.

ss7.jpg

BOOM! MEME! As for the firing modes, after sitting down to get a slightly steadier aim, Pat just used the one where it uses up all your action points to line up a shot, this is indicated by a bullet hitting a cigarette. I’m just making some half assed attempt at explaining the game mechanics here. The game is actually a bug filled mess at times and I’m playing the vanilla, unpatched version at the moment, but aside from minor niggles such as skill trees being screwed up, people leveling up much faster if you leave them at the base and FUCKING PANZERKLIENS the game is hella fun. Destructible scenery is a phrase often thrown about a lot these days, but this game uses it on so many great levels. Me and Pat intend to show you the joys of unloading an entire machinegun into the ceiling of a room and tearing the balls off a guy in the third floor attic. Plus hearing Pat scream like a maniac when he fires will be hella funny. Anyway, back to the action!

ss8.jpg

Zomigod Pat’s ass is a river of blood! After a round of combat, Pat takes a bullet to the somewhere or other, but hardly even flinches. Also, I just earned a skill point for Pat and leveled up his ‘careful shot’ ability, he now has a 5% better chance of hitting a target in careful shot mode.

ss9.jpg

Pat calmly stands up and shoots the mans in the head with a well placed sniper round. Now for wackho Jacko…

ss10.jpg

After interrupting his leisurely stroll, Jackie boy pops out of hiding and fires wildly at Pat. For some reason, Pat doesn’t seem to notice the first round as the second round alerts him enough to Jackson’s presence. Pfft, bullets.

ss11.jpg

After returning fire and hitting Michael for possibly massive damage or some equivalent thereof, Jackson stands up and strikes a pose, making for a pretty cool looking faceoff.

Pat- “So, we meet again, Michael”
Michael- “EEEH-HEE!”
Pat- “What did I tell you about messing around with the time stream, no good will come of this! Didn’t you ever see that crappy Shatner movie with the whale that had time travel in it? There was probably some message about time travel screwing up the future in there or something.
Michael- “DEE DAT SHAMONE!”
Pat- Okay, Back to the Future, ever seen that?
Michael- *Thrusts crotch and stands on his tip toes for a moment*
Pat- You have not seen BACK TO THE FUCKING FUTURE?! You really do deserve to die you sick fuck!
Michael- *Tilts sideways at a 45 degree angle then resumes his pose*

ss12.jpg

After taking a shot to the gut and two fucking sniper rounds to the face, Michael decides to stumble over to the pavement and bleed to death. I could make a nose/plastic surgery related comment here, such as Pat’s bullets had to get through the first few layers of Jacko’s deformed face before he could reach the sweet, sweet brain meats within, but that would be tasteless because I actually like Michael Jackson and don’t believe he committed those crazy crimes, but who am I to judge. Pat just killed the fucker because he hadn’t seen back to the Future, anyone who hasn’t seen that movie deserves to die via several sniper rounds to the face.

ss13.jpg

After looting himself a sweet-ass revolver from a nearby body, one of the remaining thugs thought it would be a good idea to kick open the door and take a shot at Patrick while his back was turned. This WOULD have been a good idea if the moron had actually taken the time to line up a shot instead of firing off a round as soon as he saw Pat and hitting the car. After having adequate time to turn around in complete safety, Pat shakes his head and gets down to the never repetitive action of handing out free bullet frontal lobotomies.

ss14.jpg

THE DOCTOR IS IN! As a side note, looks like we found the body of the bank guard, whom, for no reason I shall name Hermann. Hermann’s pants are still on so it looks like the guy didn’t get a chance to practice his necropheliatic fetishes, or at least to god I hope not. I’m not going to be looting that corpse any time soon.

ss15.jpg

God damnit, no phat lewt left for Pat.

ss16.jpg

After grabbing some guns and ammo, Pat gets down to the task of ‘carrying the robbery leader’s body to the car’. Why, I have no idea, but who am I to judge a game that just had Nazi Patrick Stewart have a gunfight with a bank robbing time traveling Michael Jackson.

ss17.jpg

After walking to the car, Pat blacks out and after a brief loading screen, finds himself in a bunker like room where a radio tells him that he has access to guns, medical facilities and personnel. Pat is wary and obviously frightened by this turn of events.

ss18.jpg

The creepy floating radio’s calming demeanor and kind words put Pat at ease. May as well recruit some red shirts eh? Unless I completely missed it (entirely possible), the game gives you no indication of why you are here or who you are, but I’m just in it for the cool explosions and shit so what do I care? Recruitment away!

ss19.jpg

I hop around the idea of having a grenadier, but as fun as grenades are, bullets are much more reliable in my opinion, so I choose a squad that consists of another sniper, 2 soldiers, a scout and an engineer. One of my soldiers has high strength so he should be able to handle grenades well enough I hope.

ss20.jpg

I load up my mans with an assortment of machineguns, rifles, pistols, grenades and soforth. I doubt Ahmad is going to get a chance to use that machete as this is going to be a ‘shoot bullets at anything that moves until it dies’ affair so subtlety is out of the window. I wouldn’t call sneaking up behind someone and shanking them with a huge blade subtle but this is going to be a very messy affair full of flying lead and explosions, hence why I equipped nearly everyone with machineguns. I try not to set roles for my guys, I expect all of them to be able to fire any gun, but if one has a major advantage over another in a given situation, I’ll let the soldier shoot the machinegun rather than the scout. This isn’t a ‘Commandos’ type affair where you need to be a licensed scuba diver to paddle a dinghy, this is WAR soldier!

ss21.jpg

What adventures await our plucky band of fresh faced recruits? Will Michael Jackson return? What happened to his body? Is this a time paradox or just some stupid Nazi planet again? Tune in next time to find out in the next episode

Probably just a god-damn Nazi planet

tf2_sig.png
Hotlead Junkie on

• InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This will be fun.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm a tbs junky and goddamn this game was good. It was everything I'd hoped FO:T would be (but wasn't). Snipers in this game were the shit. Especially if you got the uber broken alien pistol that shot through cement anything.

(Work on your screenshot quality. Looks like either a palette or format issue.)

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've always wanted to play this game but I've never found a decent prized copy of it. This LP will be fun to watch. I just have one question: What the hell was the first mission about and what's the deal with you being able to hire mercenaries, despite being a Nazi officer?

Silpheed on
  • Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Silpheed wrote: »
    I've always wanted to play this game but I've never found a decent prized copy of it. This LP will be fun to watch. I just have one question: What the hell was the first mission about and what's the deal with you being able to hire mercenaries, despite being a Nazi officer?

I'll work on the game mechaincs a little more in the next episode.

Seriously though, the game just starts out with a bank robbery and your dude wandering in to clean up the mess. After that you just get told to recruit men for your team and get a little popup telling you what missions to do next, I'll keep a better log of events next ep.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited September 2007
    You don't hire mercenaries, they give you a list of soldiers available for recruitment into your squad.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    edited September 2007
    Ok, I see. So I take it that you are some kind of special ops then?

Silpheed on
  • mr weenismr weenis Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    man. i was a few missions deep in the allied campaign a while back, but it rean pretty poorly on my computer, so i stopped. i always thought about the game though. i will be watching nazi patrick stewart's career with great interest

mr weenis on
    Nickle wrote: »
    972 dicks is a lot of dicks. :(
    edited September 2007
    Silpheed: Something like that. You get missions deep behind enemy lines. One thing about the game is that having a squad capable in every area of combat really pays off. Explosives can be used to devestating effect, engineers really come into their own later in the game when
    mechsuits become available
    and medics/grenadiers see a lot of action.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    edited September 2007
    I've heard at several places that this game is pretty much awesome but that it also has lot of bad stuff as well. Is there something I should know before picking up a copy for myself?

Silpheed on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I wanted to love this game, but the interface and the was just too clunky and well...bleh for my tastes. The game has hilariously bad voice acting though, gotta love that.

-SPI- on
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Also, some of the skills are literally broken. You need a fan patch to fix them.

Captain K on
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've lost my copy, and now I feel like buying it again. Thanks, you bastard.

Anyone know what the 'gold edition' contains? I suppose it includes 'Sentinels', but anything else of interest?

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
    edited September 2007
    The big big criticism against the game is that:
    Basically, 60% through the game you get access to Panzerkleins(sp). WW2 mech suits, which are badass against anything which isn't specifically anti-Panzerklein (such as ap explosives or energy weapons). So it gets sci-fi all over your WW2. Me? I played without them, but had to adjust my tactics/gear to cope with em as they feature really heavily at the end of the game. I didn't ruin the game for me personally, many would have prefered the game without em.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    edited September 2007
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Basically, 60% through the game you get access to Panzerkleins(sp). WW2 mech suits, which are badass against anything which isn't specifically anti-Panzerklein (such as ap explosives or energy weapons). So it gets sci-fi all over your WW2. Me? I played without them, but had to adjust my tactics/gear to cope with em as they feature really heavily at the end of the game. I didn't ruin the game for me personally, many would have prefered the game without em.
    I see, so what is the Sentinel expansion pack about then?

Silpheed on
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Mostly the expansion isn't very good. The main game should keep you occupied for a while, and it's quite cheap anyway.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
    edited September 2007

I didn't like the expansion, but then I don't remember if I gave it a fair shot. It's more story-based and the missions you have to do have more complex goals and objectives. In SS:S you play mercenaries, so you get cash for completing missions and you need to buy/sell gear to survive as opposed to SS where you keep whatever you find with free supplies added every now and then. I remember playing to a mission where a basement full of hostages was rigged with explosives and I couldn't figure out how to get them out. Stealth failed me due to the position of the enemies and there were a LOT of explosives wired around the place. Meh.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Awesome OP. I have always heard great things about this game, but I've only ever played the demo. I too will be keeping a keen eye on this thread!

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I am quite literally ashamed of myself for never buying this... not even sure where to get it frmo now. I loved the demo (and I rarely play PC demos... this one just grabbed me) but I just never actually made the purchase. what a fool!

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Sentinels adds money to the equation, if I recall correctly, a la X-Com. You have to earn money and sell gear and salvaged items. Also, you are recruiting soldiers for your squad and better ones cost more money. I think that's right. I played Sentinels, and loved it, except for the semi-spoiler balance issues raised earlier in this thread radically throwing off game balance . One big grisly thorn in an otherwise stellar game.
    I had to play that fucking mission where you get jumped by 3-4 PanzerKleins at the warehouses something close to a dozen times before getting through it. Eventually resorted to hiding all my guys on a roof and taking critical headshots with my main character at the Panzerkleins and then letting them bleed to death. Took forever.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Theres copies available from sellers on Amazon. About $20 shipped.

Silent Storm Gold which has the sentinels expansion

Silent Storm without the expansion

And man am I going to get my SS on when I get home. xFire has it listed as 134 hours, lets see if I can break 140 tonight.

My favorite thing to do is have 2 snipers and a bunch of soldiers. All soldiers with heavy MG and if they hear movement, all 4 open fire at the same time, destroying whatever building they're firing into. Also, landmines placed next to a building then throw a grenade ontop of it "Doors? Who needs doors when we have explosives?"

Or go 4 snipers and 2 scouts. If you can get everyone with silenced weaponry you will dominate.

Veevee on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I so need to play this. Destructable environments alone is enough to get me to half mast. X-Com does the job to this day, and that's well over a decade old.

For some reason this is reminding me of Crusader: No Remorse, though that wasn't turn based. It was, however, awesome.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited September 2007
    ss22.jpg

After being breifed on the situation, the team heads out of the bunker and we now have the global map. From here we can fly around the world to our destination, in this case, our destination being North Britain. Apparently those damn Brits have been working on some kind of new weapon at their main research facility and it is our job to find out what they are working on by going in there all guns blazing.

ss23.jpg

We fly towards the destination. The small soldier icon indicates a random encounter. As I’d rather just get this mission started I’ll ignore this for now but they can yield cool secret weapons and can be very fun so I’ll hop into one every so often, but for now the research facility is my main objective.

ss24.jpg
    ss25.jpg

Our target. Storm the gates, lads!

ss26.jpg

This well thought out plan gets Pat instantly shot in the arm by enemies guarding the front entrance of the building. Luckily, we have plenty of rifles and should be able to take these guys out. Unfortunately Pat needs a minimum of 29 action points to fire his rifle and after being shot, now only has 28 per round until he gets healed since you can get penalties, for example, he is slower now he is injued, hence less AP. Since I don’t have a dedicated medic it looks like Pat is stuck with using his machinegun. I tell him to hit the deck and decide to bring my other dudes in.

ss27.jpg

My team gets into position and gets ready for incoming fire. Kenko sets up position near the gate and Toki watches the rear.

ss28.jpg

Eagle takes a round to the torso by a sergeant with a pistol, but miraculously the soldier with the rifle completely misses my team. Eagle (sniper) returns the favour by firing at and missing the rifleman completely. Fritz (soldier) simply sighs and does the job properly, the shot from his rifle sails through the air, hits the rifleman, passes through him, hits the wall behind him and destroys a desk in the other room. That was just one rifle shot, just wait until these guys get their mits on heavy machineguns. Come to think of it there is one in the room just there. Well, it is pointed at my team but I’m not one for minor details like that. Both rounds pass with many missed shots but Fritz does do a good job of getting shot by the rifleman, plus, I gave Pat a machinegun and put him on watch duty.

ss29.jpg

so long, jerkoff! It took 3 rifle rounds to take him out but he sure did a number on my team, hitting us 3 times so far.

ss30.jpg

Pat recovers from his ailment and I put him back on the firing line. The first shot of the next round sees Eagle pull another boner and misses her target who is standing in a doorway. Funnily enough, the shot hits the open door and slams it closed, hopefully on the now unconscious sergeant. My team hi-5 each other for no apparent reason and reload their guns. Kenko (engineer) ducks out of cover to see a couple of soldiers coming around the wall to the front gate.

ss31.jpg

The door opens and shots are fired, fortunately not hitting my team. Pat is quick enough on his reaction time to get a possible free shot at an enemy that comes running to investigate the commontion, Pat takes this opportunity to shoot the guy in the doorway in the foot. I’v got the best snipers ever.

ss32.jpg

Eagle does a good job for once and finishes off the guy Pat wounded. Pat shows his gratitude by completely missing his next target while Ahmed nails a guy through a wall with his rifle, after this, the enemy soldiers take a few shots and run from view. Damn straight. The team is shot at once more with no injury and Eagle reloads her rifle and manages to hit a soldier who suddenly appears from behind the wall.

ss33.jpg

A few rounds pass where I mostly get my team to play the waiting game, trading shots with the enemy. Toki suffers a minor wound but have the upper hand here as we kill a few more guys and deal plenty of property damage

ss34.jpg

D:! A cutscene starts and some homps decide to run up to my team and stand in the middle of them instead of shooting them from a distance, no idea why but all I know is this is going to get MIGHTY ugly. Tune in next time for the shocking conculsion entitled-

I only stopped at this point to piss you guys off

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This needs to go up on Steam. Like, yesterday.

Also :^: HJ!

zilo on
  • TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I wish you could play with some of the stuff in the expansion in the original's campaign. I really like body armor and stealing outfits and stuff, but the missions in the expansion are mostly made of unfun and hard. The original is seven different types of fantastical and I think I will go play it now.

Trevor on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Is there any mod, patch, or trick to getting the enemy AI to hurry up and make it's damn move. I have six guys - the enemy has 26. I have to wait ten minutes for the computer to mave all those punks around during its turn.

emnmnme on
    edited September 2007
    Jesus hotlead, I'm glad that wasn't me as I lay 2 mines where those allied soldiers appear. Blows most of them up, but with that situation most of my guys would be dead as well.

Edit: Thats a scripted event once about half of the enemies are dead. Never played the map the way you are, I tend to invade the house from the hole in its side with two snipers watching the front. heres hoping they don't destroy your team.

Veevee on
    edited September 2007
    ss35.jpg

CMON FRITZ! THIS IS YOUR MOMENT! In a situation like this, get out a machinegun, set it to full auto and aim for a line of enemies. I had to make him crouch so he doesn’t hit Pat, but we can only hope and pray our guys survive this.

ss36.jpg

He missed. Don’t ask me how, but he missed. Everyone, even my own guys. A soldier decides to take down Toki with a clip of machinegun ammo to the head and stand on his body just for good measure. As with a lot of games these days, such as Final Fantasy, characters in SS don’t actually die from attacks like this most of the time, Toki is simply knocked out and has to be dragged to the edge of the map at the end of the mission to be revived, or, if Gears of War has taught me anything, a simple but pat can help a downed teammate get up.

ss37.jpg

Pat pulls off a pretty sweet Max Payne esqe pose and guns down Toki’s assailant. I love how the game makes sure the character models twist and turn the right ways before they fire.

ss38.jpg

Go man go! Eagle helps out by shooting a soldier before Pat finishes him off with a burst of machinegun fire to the kidneys.

ss39.jpg

Ahmad jumps on the sweet poses and machinegun to the kidneys bandwagon. Now that’s a bandwagon you want to be a part of.

ss40.jpg

Ahmad puts the fear of god into Fritz and shows him how it should be done by another burst of gunfire underneath Frit’z legs and tearing up the shins of the enemy soldier.

ss41.jpg

The soldier that Fritz shot at earlier finally realises where he is and impales him in the chest with his rifle before firing three rounds into his heart. This doesn’t seem to phase Fritz too much as he only grunts a little each time a shot hits and decides to impale his machinegun through his attacker’s kneecap as a response. Guess those should have been silver bullets in that rifle or something, huh?

ss42.jpg

Ahmad gets gunned down by a dude with a heavy machinegun while Eagle takes a lot of damage, but still lives.

ss43.jpg

Kenko is not amused by all this and decides to jump out of the bushes put an few machinegun rounds into someone’s back

ss44.jpg

I swear I saw a similar scene to this in the Matrix. The soldier fires 4 more rounds into Fritz who still doesn’t go down, whom I can only assume is some sort of werewolf/Cyborg/Zombie hybrid, then decides to give up shooting him with mere bullets and fires once at Eagle, putting her out of commission. Pat is now paralysed with agony as the soldier crushes Pat’s genitals with his boot.

ss45.jpg

Kenko does well again and takes out the light machine-gunner with a burst of machine gun fire, then Fritz takes out his mere human opponent with a similar tactic. Pat is very much relieved.

ss46.jpg

after a couple of last ditch attempts, everyone fires at the final soldier with whatever weapon they have. Kenko takes his first injury of the day but gets sweet revenge after Pat shoots the dude in the face and lets Kenko finish him off. Whew. A few casualties but we can recover, we just need to heal up and tend to the fallen team members by dragging them to the exit zone to they can exit with us. After that we will grab what we came for (a document concerning what is going on here and the head of the facility), scavenge some equipment and head home.

ss47.jpg

A shot comes from the gate, but we can only judge from where it came. I get Kenko to throw a grenade in the general area of the enemy for hopefully a quick kill as we have other problems to attend to. The super man/beast/thing, Fritz is bleeding badly, we need to patch him up somehow, or let him feed on a virgin sacrifice, whatever this things needs to do to stop him being knocked out is fine by me. It’s just a hassle to carry another body around.

ss48.jpg

Pat runs up to and finishes off the wounded soldier while Fritz rushes up to and takes from him some Haemostatic powder, a medical item that helps stop the bleeding. He applies said powder. As a side note, there is actually another active enemy near the front doors, but I can only hope he doesn’t do too much damage to us before we take him down and patch ourselves up.

ss49.jpg

Pat and Kenko take up position by the gate while they take a second to reload their guns while Fritz spends the rest of his turn bandaging his wounds and watching the rear. It’s very important to always have someone watching your team’s back, usually you can have one person close up to the enemy and hidden as a spotter while you direct your snipers shots to their targets at super long range. A very handy tactic.

ss50.jpg

Pat sidesteps out and hits the enemy with a sniper round while Kenko dashes out and hides behind cover. Fritz is still fixing himself up, or taking a leak or something, either way he isn’t moving any time soon. Our objective is highlighted by the lower case ‘I’ icon, a document we need to pick up in a small room near the front door. I’m going to get all three to charge in there and nab the documents before grabbing the other objective.

ss51.jpg

The officer thought it would be a good idea to stay facing the wall and not move at all during his turn. Pat puts the retard out of his misery with a shot to the back of the skull.

ss52.jpg

A shot is fired from the second floor window, most likely at Kenko so I direct Pat and him to get ready to enter the front door before storming the building while Fritz, now finally untied from his mess of bandages sets up shop by the gate and takes watch to make sure nobody comes from the rear. All character load their weapons and get ready to enter. All I need to do it get into that room on the right there, grab the docs then get the guy. Here goes.

ss53.jpg

Going well so far, now to head up those stairs

ss54.jpg

out of nowhere I hear the trademark ‘Full auto with light machinegun’ scream and an enemy soldier fires through the floor at my team right below them. This is a great feature of the game where you can just destroy and shoot through solid objects if you have enough firepower (see the hole next to the figures and the bullet holes in the floor?). Luckily no-one was hurt but I can’t say that much for those guys next round.

ss55.jpg

Kenko throws the most powerful grenades he has below the enemies on the upper floor. It wasn’t quite powerful enough to shatter the floorboards beneath their feet, but it sure made a helluva mess down here and scared the shit out of the soldier behind the door.

ss56.jpg

wait a sec, wasn’t there a guy carrying one of those machineguns earlier?

ss57.jpg

Score!

ss58.jpg

The enemies keep firing through the floorboards but keep missing. Fritz comes running to join the party with his new toy while Pat wounds the soldier down the hallway with his rifle. Kenko hides like a wuss.

ss59.jpg

Pat manages to take down two soldiers, making one’s head humorously crash through a window after he got shot, Kenko takes watch duty and Fritz arrives late to the party, but still has enough AP to attack. Remember the guys above? Fritz is just underneath them door on the floor below, armed with a light machinegun set on full auto.

ss62.jpg

I’m not sure if Fritz hit them, but he sure made a cool looking hole

ss63.jpg

Yet another hole as the volley continues through the house

ss61.jpg

‘Must fire gun in classic pose from Battlestar Galactica!’. Pat seems less than amused at Fritz’s antics. I would say Fritz has been a pretty badass guy so far but he just screamed like Mort Goldman from Family Guy when he fired that gun.

ss64.jpg

Just to safe, Fritz screams much more manlier this time and fires the rest of his clip through the floor, punching a hole in the side of the building on the third floor. Kenko spots someone sneaking around to the front entrance.

ss65.jpg

Kenko takes cover thanks to his machinegun being fairly short range and Pat puts some bullets into some poor guy’s spine.

ss66.jpg

Pat finishes the job, Kenko takes cover again as his opponent approaches and Fritz makes a discovery. The guy we have come to capture is being carried off by an enemy soldier. We can’t have this can we?

ss67.jpg

The soldier carrying the body is startled by Pat when he runs around the corner, even more so when Pat lines up a shot and takes the guy’s ear off. Kenko fires a round of machinegun ammo into his foe.

ss69.jpg

Fritz hauls ass, grabs another light machinegun from the ground and then picks up the body. It’s Pat’s job to watch Fritz as, as you can tell, you are pretty defenceless when carrying a body. Kenko’s foe creeps ever closer.

ss70.jpg

Kenko narrowly misses being shot, then pulls off a freaking badass pose and nails his opponent through the chest on his third shot. Repeatedley shooting at the same enemy with the same gun while in the same position increases the chances you will hit the target on the next shot. Meanwhile, Fritz makes his way down the hallway with the body as Pat watches his back as he hears someone coming up from the basement.

ss71.jpg

Kenko takes a few rounds from an oncoming enemy, but manages to put a couple of rounds into him before taking cover to reload his gun. Fritz drops the body for a moment to help out Kenko and Pat keeps watch.

ss72.jpg

Pat carries the body outside after Kenko deals with his foe with a burst of machinegun fire, then Fritz gets ready to take roost on the gate to try to spot any oncoming foes from far away. The scenery is pretty easy to get around and you can do things like climb walls, crawl under things, make a hole in the ceiling and climb through to the second floor. It’s pretty sweet, makes for some real unexpected fights sometimes.

ss73.jpg

Fritz’s new vantage point pays off as he is able to take a shot at and hit an enemy who jumped out from around a corner and surprised Kenko. Pat continues to amble on with his prize.

ss74.jpg

Fritz misses his next shot but Kenko takes his foe down quite easily. This guy is a freaking killing machine. The advantage of Fritz being up here is that he can provide cover fire for both Pat and Kenko right now.

ss75.jpg

The area seemingly clear, the two start hauling the bodies of their unconscious team-mates and their captive to the exit zone. Fritz keeps watch.

ss76.jpg

Kenko scavenges some guns and ammo and the rest of the team, a little worse for ware and bitter that their comrades all ready to leave the zone.

ss77.jpg

But all wounds are healed, both physical and between friends around a roaring campfire and an abundance of toasted marshmallows. The team swaps ammo and rumours about Fritz while relaxing and looking at badly textured porno mags, Eagle, the only female in the group being the closest to said magazines and tent. It seemed that scientist we found was also being hunted by the squad who jumped us earlier. It looks like we rescued him from those guys and in turn, learned that he was involved in researching rockets. Also, he mentioned the name ‘Shagahod’…

That last part was a lie. The next installment-

Hitlers Barmy so's his army god-damn bullets hurt

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited September 2007
    Just for future reference, what was picked up was a Heavy Machingun, the machine guns you entered with were of the light variety.

Also, good job taking out that group, I thought you were dead for sure.

Veevee on
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You know, I must have started and stopped playing Silent Storm a good five times now, and I've never played an Axis campaign.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    edited September 2007
    I realise now I probably went way overboard on the details, hence that last update being hella long and probably a little dull. If anyone is still interested I can carry on but would like a couple of suggestions on what you think I could do to improve this thread ;-)

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I realise now I probably went way overboard on the details, hence that last update being hella long and probably a little dull. If anyone is still interested I can carry on but would like a couple of suggestions on what you think I could do to improve this thread ;-)

I didn't think it was dull at all. I just found myself thinking, "This guy's got a hell of a long road ahead of him if he writes up each scenario at this level."

I'm very fond of Let's Plays, especially good ones like this that stick with it through the end of a game. And I love Silent Storm (and good turn-based, squad tactics games in general). So this is great! Keep it up, but maybe let up on the detail throttle a little so you don't burn yourself out.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It's been extremely entertaining so far honestly. Good work so far.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Damn you, this is simultaneously tempting me to play Silent Storm again AND do a Let's Play for Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic. I don't have the time for either one.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    Damn you, this is simultaneously tempting me to play Silent Storm again AND do a Let's Play for Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic. I don't have the time for either one.

Haha, I was going to say that this makes me want to do a let's play for Jagged Alliance 2

-SPI- on
    edited September 2007
    I showed this to another freind and he wanted to go and play Fallout again, heh. That last update was a little long winded as I wanted to explain the game mechanics to people a little more than I have been doing, I'm gonna try and tone down the chat a little and maybe cut some details here and there, just keeping the more important facts now that people know how the game plays a little better now.

I doubt I will be doing the ENTIRE game like this but I'm thorougly enjoying playing and logging my gameplay so far so keep tuned for more updates :). My first LP thread so I'm still learning the ropes, but SS seems to be a perfect game for this type of thing, lots of breaks in the action, lots of camera control, fun, unexpected gameplay, etc. By the way, I was playing the Axis campaign a couple of days before making this runthrough, and this time my second mission is different from my second mission in my last Axis attempt. Never noticed the game does that until now.

Still, anyone want to see/hear anything in peticular? I'm going to make my objectives a little clearer for one.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • totallytotally Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    JC! man, you let so many of your mans get killed! When they die they drop all their shit and then you have to go through the tedious weapon equip nonsense to get them outfitted again. Admittedly, your play style is probably more realistic; but I try to go a little slower and get shot a lot less.

That aside, this game is so near perfect for a small squad srpg. I love the little character backgrounds and the face customability on the main player character. There is so much to love in this game. (Broken character leveling and unbalanced weapons aside.)

You are doing a super good job on your LP. Good references, humor, inside joke shit, etc. Entertaining as heck. Probably tone it down to 3 or 4 screencaps per battle as this is a super long game. Two thumbs up sir. Plus an extra two thumbs for a Nazi sniper Patrick Stewart super Hitler hero. GG

totally on
    GT: totallyrobot GSID: totallytotally
    edited September 2007
    Thanks for the support, expect the next update around this time tomorrow or the day after that. I got the next mission down to around 30 screenshots and just gave general ideas of how battles went, focusing more on the more interesting parts of the mission.

How does everyone else play? I just take every advantage I can get at the time, such as being shot/killed not being much of a deal and use ammo and grenades with great abundance. If I see my objective I'll take the quickest, most efficient route to getting to it, usually making my guys run right into the action and deal with problems on a turn by turn basis. This way at least makes for some interesting situations, thanks to my love of heavy machineguns :-)

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I swear to God I was going to do this exact thread a month ago.

But I was waiting for a mod to rotate the camera below the 45 degree angle and zoom in closer to the ground. Also, if there's a way to capture the replay of the battle in real-time speed, I would love you forever. For example, you play out the map turn based, and watch it as a video in real-time which basically moves all the characters at once and blurs the turns together.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
    edited September 2007
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    I swear to God I was going to do this exact thread a month ago.

But I was waiting for a mod to rotate the camera below the 45 degree angle and zoom in closer to the ground. Also, if there's a way to capture the replay of the battle in real-time speed, I would love you forever. For example, you play out the map turn based, and watch it as a video in real-time which basically moves all the characters at once and blurs the turns together.

I'm pretty sure there is a console command to give you full control of the camera. I should look for that, also, I'll look into a replay function

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited September 2007
    Thanks for the support, expect the next update around this time tomorrow or the day after that. I got the next mission down to around 30 screenshots and just gave general ideas of how battles went, focusing more on the more interesting parts of the mission.

How does everyone else play? I just take every advantage I can get at the time, such as being shot/killed not being much of a deal and use ammo and grenades with great abundance. If I see my objective I'll take the quickest, most efficient route to getting to it, usually making my guys run right into the action and deal with problems on a turn by turn basis. This way at least makes for some interesting situations, thanks to my love of heavy machineguns :-)

I play the exact same way as you. Little thought of the future, just "bad guy must die" and I must kill him as quickly as possible.

I've also taken to having one soldier only be used as an explosives expert. Only weapon is a bazooka and grenades and he must fire it as often as possible. The rounds are replenished back at HQ so its very very hard to run out, and blowing everything up with it is so very very fun.

Veevee on