As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TGS] Microsoft Conference liveblogging

bruinbruin Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Games and Technology
http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/09/microsoft-press.html

So far we've got -
1:05 -- I'd like to believe that they're playing "Mas Que Nada" in the event hall right now because they're bringing out Samba De Amigo for Xbox 360. I am pretty sure this is not the case. I will always associate this song with Samba for the Dreamcast, because one of the challenge modes was to finish this song without missing a single note. It was exquisitely difficult, but I did it.

1:10 -- Ten minutes late, it's starting. Strobe lights flash on the stage. The head of the Xbox Japan group jogs out onto the stage and points out that fifty of Microsoft's biggest Japanese fans have been invited to the media briefing. They're in the balcony, he says. They cheer.

1:13 -- "I assure you, there's nothing at all to be worried about. I present to you today, with great confidence, Xbox 360's future in Japan."

1:15 -- Mistwalker's Hironobu Sakaguchi is the first to take the stage. He is wildly applauded and hooted and hollered at by the balcony full of Japan's craziest Xbox fans. "The fans are really excited," he says. "It's like being in America." What a great idea: bring in plants to your press conference to applaud everything. Didn't Microsoft already do that at one E3 and totally get called out on it?

1:16 -- We're watching a video of Lost Odyssey. There's a guy in a castle eating soup. Then another guy busts into the room! Yelling! He knocks the soup over! And he... releases a mouse into the room? The mouse eats the soup. And turns into a disgusting pustule, or a plant, or something. Then gets set on fire, and dies. I think I figured out why the other guy didn't want soup guy to eat his lunch.

1:21 -- Lost Odyssey demo still going on. If this game was any more like Final Fantasy VIII, it would have an impenetrably terrible card mini-game that ruined the whole thing.

1:30 -- If I didn't know any better, I'd say the excruciating length of this Lost Odyssey demo means that it's the only game that Microsoft has any hope of actually selling in Japan. Oh wait. Lost Odyssey does look really nice, and they're correct to spotlight it, but this gameplay video has been going on for nearly a quarter of an hour now. Haha, Sakaguchi died. He apologized.

I hope we get to see this Lost Odyssey footage. And I hope there's like, announcements and shit!

bruin on

• Options
    edited September 2007
    dsc03497.jpg
    1:31 -- They're releasing the game on December 6, a Thursday. Apparently it won't be playable at Tokyo Game Show, but they'll be doing an announcement or something in November, with an orchestral concert of the game music. I can't really tell what exactly they're saying because the English translation in my headset is pretty bad. I might just take the headset off.

edit -
    1:35 -- Lost Odyssey delayed in America, Europe. February 2008.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

bruin on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Whomever is doing the live blogging should be shot in the face. Triple Triad is one of mankind's finest innovations; proof enough that man was made in God's image.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    1:36 -- And now for a game that will sell even fewer copies in Japan than Lost Odyssey: Halo 3. It was a pretty cool video though. Applause from the plants in the back.

1:39 -- Halo 3 on September 27, plus the accessories and special edition system. Project Gotham IV on October 11. Viva Pinata in December. And Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom will launch this year.

1:44 -- And now for the third parties. We're watching a beautiful trailer that makes Ace Combat 6 look like a touching human drama.

lol

bruin on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Oh, just to get people talking a bit before this Triple Triad hating jackass gets to it, Rez is coming to the XBLA. Trance Vibrator status:unknown.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    1:47 -- More 2007 third party games. Gundam Musou International, Beautiful Katamari, etc. Gundam Musou will have English voices on Xbox 360. Interesting.

1:48 -- Dynasty Warriors 6 trailer. Funnily enough, this is the exact same trailer that Sony showed at their Tokyo press conference in July, I think. It's out this November.

1:49 -- Konami has Winning Eleven, Ubisoft has Assassin's Creed. They're showing Sega and EA logos up on the screen, too.

1:50 -- Devil May Cry 4 trailer. So far, this has been exactly like Microsoft's E3 conference -- they're just concentrating on games that are coming between now and the end of the year. Hopefully this won't end without some new announcements.

Bring on Ninja Gaiden 2 goddamnit

bruin on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    1:53 -- "Maybe you're becoming full by now, but there's one more." An exclusive Xbox 360 title that will launch next year, he says. Okay, here we go!

A battlefield. Swords lie stuck in the ground. Only one character stands alive: Ryu Hayabusa. Hey, it's Ninja Gaiden II! Hey, the trailer's over. That was a whole whopping ten seconds. Itagaki takes the stage.

edit -
    He thanks everyone for supporting Ninja Gaiden. "Our goal with Ninja Gaiden II is to create the world's premiere action game, just as Dead or Alive 4 was the premiere fighting game when it was released at the Xbox 360 launch, and remains the premiere fighting game to this day." Well, if you say so!

"I know that a lot of our fans praised the first Ninja Gaiden as a masterpiece, and say that it is flawless. But as a team, we don't necessarily agree all the time." Well, if you say so!

edit 2 -
    1:59 -- "Now for the moment you've all been waiting for. We've brought the latest build of Ninja Gaiden II. Please enjoy the world's best action game, running on the world's best hardware: the Xbox 360."

2:00 -- The real-time footage begins. "As you can see, we're pretty far along in development and have brought several stages here today."

bruin on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I like IGN's feed.

It mentioned there that Ace Combat 6 is confirmed as exclusive to 360. HOW ABOUT THEM APPLES?

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I like IGN's feed.

It mentioned there that Ace Combat 6 is confirmed as exclusive to 360. HOW ABOUT THEM APPLES?

That news is OLD.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    That was confirmed months ago, but yeah, IGN is updating more frequently now - http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/819/819365p1.html
    10:03 - 10:?? [Ninja Gaiden 2 Gameplay Description] The game starts. The player jumps into first person to survey the scene. Then runs around. A GROUP OF SIX ENEMIES APPEAR.

The gameplay is so fast that it's hard to watch. Hard to keep up with. Lots of blood. Bodies getting chopped in half. Ryu pins enemis on the ground, thrusts his sword in, and they explode!

After the fight, he shakes the blood of his sword. Then runs up the stairs to the top of a bridge. Lots of eneies appear. Ryu does a ninja arts move. He switches form his rapier sword to a twin blade.

Then to shurikens. Actually, I think the shurikens are equipped as a subweapon. The environments have a lot of destructable elements to them. He's fighting in a fruit stand area, and when the fight ends, all the stands have been destroyed and the fruits are lying on the ground.

Next, Ryu faces off aginst gun-wielding enemies. They have machine guns.

Chopped up bodies are everywhere. They don't seem to be leaving the scene, at least not initially.

Now, he changes to Ryu's claws. Giant winged beasts, three times his size appear. They have green blood.

HOLY *&%# THIS IS THE MOST AMAZING ACTION GAME I'VE EVER SEEN!!!

bruin on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I like IGN's feed.

That news is OLD.

You are old.

I'm sorry, I'll just be quiet.

Still though, Ninja Gaiden, eh? And Lost Odyssey sounds hot.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Oh, just to get people talking a bit before this Triple Triad hating jackass gets to it, Rez is coming to the XBLA.

Nice.

And while Triple Triad was the best thing about FFVIII, it still devoured far, far too many of my hours.

It here meaning Edea.

Also, for one brief moment, I thought someone had said Rise of the Triad was coming to XBLA.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Exploding enemies eh? Maybe they are trying to recapture that real Ninja Gaiden 2 feel.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    that guy who was doin live blogging earlier loves negativity

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ryu needs to get shadow doubles. Orange ones.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Man, I wonder what they did do to get him to say "world's best hardware".

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Oh, just to get people talking a bit before this Triple Triad hating jackass gets to it, Rez is coming to the XBLA.

Nice.

And while Triple Triad was the best thing about FFVIII, it still devoured far, far too many of my hours.

It here meaning Edea.

Also, for one brief moment, I thought someone had said Rise of the Triad was coming to XBLA.

I think my least favorite part about FF XI was the decision to include TT's half retarded step brother, Tetra Master, instead of the game that would have insured them subscriptions for all time.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Man, that Anoop guy is really excited about NG2. I hope we get to see that footage soon.

Mmm. Ninja Gaiden.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Hoz wrote: »
    Man, I wonder what they did do to get him to say "world's best hardware".

Published his game

edit -
    2:09 -- Microsoft's main man Takashi Sensui is back on stage. He's coming to the best part of every Microsoft press conference: when they start talking about Games For Windows. Apparently the Japanese press needs a refresher course over what exactly Games For Windows actually is, and how it works with Xbox Live. Considering that PC gaming in Japan generally means erotic anime titles, I can see how the message might not be sticky.

They're releasing Flight Simulator, Age of Empires, and Viva Pinata for PC soon.

2:13 -- He's talking about the Xbox 360 again (phew!). They're launching eight additional titles on November 1 into their Platinum Collection series. Blue Dragon, Lost Planet, and Project Sylpheed, and Gears of War, and DOAX2, Oneechanbara, and Earth Defence Force 3, and Dead or Alive.

2:16 -- Launching Xbox 360 Elite on October 11.

bruin on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Pretty sure I heard somewhere that the trailer is on XBL right now...

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Pretty sure I heard somewhere that the trailer is on XBL right now...

That'd be great if I owned a damn 360!

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Oh, just to get people talking a bit before this Triple Triad hating jackass gets to it, Rez is coming to the XBLA. Trance Vibrator status:unknown.

Wait, what? Are you being a smartass or are you serious?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited September 2007

"Just to get people talking"

bruin on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Holy crap Rez on XBLA.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    HOLY SHIT REZ IS FOR REAL XENOGEARS OF BORE IS A PROPHET

IKARUGA TOO
    10:27 - Now, he will announce new Xbox Live titles.

From Q Entertainment, Rez HD! Every Extend Extra Extreme

From Treasure, Ikaruga!

From Hudon, Omega Drive.

Taito, Exit.

Trigger Heart Exelica (not sure of the publisher for this one)

HOLY CRAP REZ AND IKARUGA!!!

bruin on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I thought he was serious too. Ah well.

Rez isn't exactly XBLA fare.

Well, shoot. Never mind!

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    bruin wrote: »

"Just to get people talking"

Oh no, 100% serious. Early next year. 1up or one of those places has a pretty decent 1080p shot of it.

4p0jhhl.jpg

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    How did Q Entertainment get the rights to Rez away from Sega?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Xenogears of Bore:

Are you a magic man?

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Xenogears of Bore:

Are you a magic man?

shake and bake, baby!

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm pretty excited about Ninja Gaiden 2. Need media.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Infinite Undiscovery developed by Tri-Ace, published by Square, seems to be 360 exclusive? I hope we get to see the trailer.
    The concept is "Situation Battle," to create a game in which situations change all the time. "While escaping from prison, you might encounter a giant ogre. Or have to run past a fire-breathing dragon." The game is in "full realtime," or "seamless" gameplay -- there's no transition between fighting and moving, and the game doesn't pause when on-screen menus are opened.

That's the general gist of it, anyway. They aren't announcing a launch date, but it'll be in the near future.

bruin on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I'm pretty excited about Ninja Gaiden 2. Need media.

I've heard tell of a mystical trailer somewhere on XBOX Live...

If you can't access that, I'm sure it'll be up on the interwebs later today.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Aaaaaaand it's over

bruin on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So I read all about the press conference on kotaku and other sites and in my opinion Microsoft has really stepped up their game. The original Xbox never even hoped to have this much Japanese support and now they even have exclusives on the system! Especially something like Ace Combat 6!

I'm really sad that Lost Odyssey will be out in February, I was hoping for some Christmas RPGing.
    But all the other titles that were announced make me hug my 360 in anticipation.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    legionlegion North YorkRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Huh. Infinite Undiscovery had completely flown under my radar until now, and ridiculous as the name may be, any new RPG for the 360 is a good thing. I wonder whether an ETA was given for the game's release.

legion on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ninja Gaiden 2 360 exclusive is a pretty big megaton right?

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »

We knew about Ninja Gaiden 2 being on the 360 since like the 360s launch.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Klyka wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »

We knew about Ninja Gaiden 2 being on the 360 since like the 360s launch.

That's not really my point man...

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I NEED to see the gameplay video. Can't wait for this game.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg