As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Steam/Source: Games should be rated out of Valve, not out of 10

• Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I guess this is a portal spoiler
    As you can see, Aperature's bar has more bar than Black mesa's bar

Agentflit on
  • Options
    FaustumFaustum __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm on 17/19
    THE CUBE WOULD NEVER LEAVE ME

username: cjohnson
    password: tier3

trust me

Faustum on
    diddysiggiesq8.pngClick to see who gets to DIE February 10th
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    HullabalooHullabaloo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah that ending was insanely awsome. I can't think of a better way to have ended it.

And i know i'm going to have that song stuck in my head for a good long while.

Hullabaloo on
    Xbox ID: Oggie Rock
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Portal clear!

Amazing fucking game, must go to bed now. More detailed comments later.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    Faustum wrote: »
    I'm on 17/19

trust me

http://www.aperturescience.com/

login

use that username/password

fiddle around

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I'm on 17/19

trust me
    Oh wow, was that in the game? i must have missed it. Anyways i just tried it on : http://www.aperturelabratories.com/ and it let me in as an admin. Edit: Haha beaten.

Hullabaloo on
  • Options
    AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This is pretty creepy for a lightweight like me.

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    Hullabaloo wrote: »
    I'm on 17/19

trust me
    Oh wow, was that in the game? i must have missed it. Anyways i just tried it on : http://www.aperturelabratories.com/ and it let me in as an admin. Edit: Haha beaten.

Oh god this is awesome.

Legacy on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I'm on 17/19

trust me
    yeah throughout the game there are little black handprints that signify somethin' weird, like spaces you can crawl into and read the scribblings of a former test subject that went insane or something

that one is on the level where you get the companion cube

Faustum on
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I'm on 17/19

trust me
    yeah throughout the game there are little black handprints that signify somethin' weird, like spaces you can crawl into and read the scribblings of a former test subject that went insane or something

that one is on the level where you get the companion cube
    Ah yeah, I found those but my texture settings are so low as to make reading anything but the large text impossible :P

Hullabaloo on
  • Options
    Seaborn111Seaborn111 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    beat'd. GIVE ME THAT SONG NOW

Seaborn111 on
    </bush>
    It's impossible for us to without a doubt prove the non-existence of God. We just have to take it on faith that he's imaginary..
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Two hours to beat, so I suppose the bonus maps add another two hours? There's six of them apparently.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    spoilers, pictures

Here are some examples

lalazt2.jpg
    weejpgbt1.jpg

i love this kind of crap, but it also creeps me out

Faustum on
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Legacy wrote: »
    I'm on 17/19

trust me

login

fiddle around

Do the 'apply' on the site there and go through it. It's great.
    Don't bother with the UPIN or whatever. It's case sensitive...but you can't enter lowercase letters to confirm it at the end. :|

Legacy on
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    So despite the minimalist art style and graphics, Portal is running much less smoothly than Half Life 2, especially on the elevator sections between puzzles. This is incredibly irritating.

Me too. And I assume everyone else. The framerate drops really bad in the water areas and when you're looking at portals, but nothing terrible. The source engine looks absolutely beautiful in the game, though. The game must have obviously required some interesting methods of rendering/level building, so the fps issues might be due to that.

Also, does anyone know how to enable depth of field on the gun (to make it look blurred out like in some of the videos), or if you even can?

And i'm having trouble on level 17.
    I've raised two of the platforms, one is left and I can't find a ball thing to use to shoot through those two doors.

Urian on
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Urian wrote: »
    So despite the minimalist art style and graphics, Portal is running much less smoothly than Half Life 2, especially on the elevator sections between puzzles. This is incredibly irritating.

Me too. And I assume everyone else. The framerate drops really bad in the water areas and when you're looking at portals, but nothing terrible. The source engine looks absolutely beautiful in the game, though.

Also, does anyone know how to enable depth of field on the gun (to make it look blurred out like in some of the videos), or if you even can?

I've raised two of the platforms, one is left and I can't find a ball thing to use to shoot through those two doors.
    Gotta go back towards the start where you had to use the box as cover getting through the narrow passage way. Portal at the end where it hits the wall and have the exit pointing towards the door that you have to open by having the box on one button, and you on the other.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I'm on 17/19

trust me

login

fiddle around

Do the 'apply' on the site there and go through it. It's great.
    Don't bother with the UPIN or whatever. It's case sensitive...but you can't enter lowercase letters to confirm it at the end. :|

Baahaha,

Lying about your favorite color makes you feel)

1] Sorry
    2] Not sorry

Faustum on
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Portal, as short as it is, is my GOTY. For serious.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Me too. And I assume everyone else. The framerate drops really bad in the water areas and when you're looking at portals, but nothing terrible. The source engine looks absolutely beautiful in the game, though. It obviously must take some strange kind of rendering for the game, because of the portal use and stuff, so that's what I blame the frame problems on.

How to solve:
    Go back up to where you can jump on the platforms, bring your companion cube. Jump on first pad, make a portal in the center of the partially extended wall, the one facing those two closed doors linked to buttons. Then, bring your companion cube back to that first narrow hallway with the energy ball. Make a connecting portal on the wall the energy ball hits, when it bounces back towards you off that door, use your cube to deflect it. Go through the portal, open the second door with your cube. When the next energy ball goes past the first button, step on the button, and the ball will go to the door.

Now you're thinking with portals!

Just beat it, and I gotta agree, this game is awesome. The whole dialogue at the last part, I wanted to just let it go on so I could hear it all. And then the ending song! I want it, I want it so hard.

Huge ending spoiler:
    The cake was delicious. And moist. And in the end, the only thing that she ever said that was true.

Sepah on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Just beat Portal
    I don't know about you guys, but I was REALLY scared while first escaping. This game has creeped the frick out of me, officially.

And the Jonathan Coulton song is freaking amazing and also gave me the willies at the end. The cake is a lie!

Edit to say that yes, this is a fantastic, awesome game.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    HalberdBlueHalberdBlue Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Portal was neat. I think I'll go take a nap before my first class now. zzz.

I don't know if I'd like speed running it though. I can see a lot of the timing stuff becoming really frustrating really fast

I love the turrets.

HalberdBlue on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Same here! Just quit the game and all that.
    I'll agree to this game being the creepiest fucking thing I've played in a while. WOW.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Sepah wrote: »

Me too. And I assume everyone else. The framerate drops really bad in the water areas and when you're looking at portals, but nothing terrible. The source engine looks absolutely beautiful in the game, though. It obviously must take some strange kind of rendering for the game, because of the portal use and stuff, so that's what I blame the frame problems on.

How to solve:
    Go back up to where you can jump on the platforms, bring your companion cube. Jump on first pad, make a portal in the center of the partially extended wall, the one facing those two closed doors linked to buttons. Then, bring your companion cube back to that first narrow hallway with the energy ball. Make a connecting portal on the wall the energy ball hits, when it bounces back towards you off that door, use your cube to deflect it. Go through the portal, open the second door with your cube. When the next energy ball goes past the first button, step on the button, and the ball will go to the door.

Now you're thinking with portals!

Man that is some serious portal thinking. Would have taken me ages to figure it out.

Urian on
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    oh no guys :(

Been trying to play Portal. The game runs fine for all of a minute so, but quickly goes apeshit. I'm not talking "oh i'm looking at a portal 9 levels deep and the FPS is dipping," I mean single digit FPS when looking at a blank wall, audio stuttering, etc. Alt+tabbing out and back in makes it run good for a few seconds, and then repeat.

I'm on an Athlon 64 X2 4800+, Geforce 6800 XT, 2GB RAM on Vista 32-bit.

Got new drivers for everything, tried turning video settings way down below normal, turned audio quality down to low, turned all the crazy Aero shit off in Vista, turned off the SuperFetch and other weird indexing services. Tried closing most everything else, I'm pretty sure I don't have any bad processes running.

I'm not sure if vanilla HL2 does this, as this is the first I've really tried to game on this machine

what's going on :(

Herschel on
  • Options
    sonictksonictk Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Could someone PLEASE just help me check their HL2ep2 and Portal file sizes? I am going nuts trying to figure out why all my voice audio is missing but the rest of the game is intact.

sonictk on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    985 mb for Portal... downloading EP2 right now, so can't help you with that.

Sepah on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    sonictk wrote: »
    Could someone PLEASE just help me check their HL2ep2 and Portal file sizes? I am going nuts trying to figure out why all my voice audio is missing but the rest of the game is intact.

Portal says its 985 MB and EP2 says 1318(but it's still decrypting).

Right click on one, go to properties, go to Local Files and verify the integrity. And then defrag them.

Should help.

If not, delete and redownload. D:

Legacy on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I nominate the computer lady for voice acting of the year.

Sepah on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I second that GOTY nomination. The puzzles were great, and it had probably the best dialogue (er, monologue?) that I've seen this year.

Is it wrong that the turrets terrified me? Not in a "Oh, shit, they're going to perforate me" way, but when they ask "Are you still there?" in that satanic voice of their's.

And sonictk, my file is 985 mb.

EDIT: God damn, I'm never going to challenge you guys to a gunfight.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So anyone here finished Episode 2? Is it as good as I hope it is?

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VestyVesty Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    somebody rip that credit song stat!

THE CAKE IS A LIE!

Vesty on
  • Options
    SpikedFreakSpikedFreak Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    So anyone here finished Episode 2? Is it as good as I hope it is?

I know a few have beaten Portal (obviously heh), but no one in the PA chat has said anything about beating Ep2.

All I can say is the opening 10 - 15 minutes is pure awesome sauce.

SpikedFreak on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    For god sake, I wish I wasn't shaped. Damn you, inferior Australian internet plans.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    My GOD.

The SONG.

It was worth the lack of sleep.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    But here's what I want to know about the main character (being only a few puzzles into the game, so maybe this is explained later):
    What exactly are those things on her legs, and why are they there? They look like very basic prostheses, maybe for jumping or, more likely, landing after coming out of a portal without damaging her legs? They don't look like they'd actually help much at all, really.

If you respond, I think I'd prefer a quick "Yes they are explained later" or "No they aren't explained" instead of the details.

No, they aren't.
    But they do look like Stalker legs. But that could be just from using the HL2 engine and stock items.

OK, so here's the deal, from the second commentary node in the starting room:
    The commentary says that playtesters didn't understand why the character could survive long falls, so they added the "mechanical springs" to her legs, and then no one asked about falling damage anymore. Simple as that. So yeah, Legacy, since they have no actual gameplay/story importance, they probably just repurposed some art they already had.

And considering this, I'm not even sure why I'm still spoilering it.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    My GOD.

The SONG.

This right here. Did the main game and an advanced puzzle in under two hours, but I needed that time for sleep. If someone rips the song, link it.

Cymoro on
    i am perpetual, i make the country clean
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Tired meme in blurry jpg?

New sig. For a day or so.

JAEF on
  • Options
    Viper007BondViper007Bond Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    My GOD.

The SONG.

Yes, yes it was. LMAO

Viper007Bond on
    [Sig removed for breaking the h-scroll. -Bogey]
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sepah wrote: »
    I nominate the computer lady for voice acting of the year.

Second. She's also the announcer in TF2. (I think her name is Ellen McLane.)

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Portal is an amazinginly fun game, and those are the best credits I have ever watched.
    ps:
    I'm still alive.
    pps:
    The cake is delicious and moist.

Morkath on