As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trebuchets

• Options
    JawaJawa Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I recently went to Les Invalides (The wounded soldier hospital/War Museum/Napoleons tomb) and some of the weapons in the medieval section were insane!!

Old black powder rifles that were a good 2-3 meters long, pistols with five barrels, insanely ornate cannons and swords.

Jawa on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    "YOU FUCKED UP AND ENTIRE SECTION OF A SCHOOL!"
    "I'm sorry sir, I'm so so sorry!"
    "WHAT ABOUT? THAT WAS FUCKING AWESOME! A+"

Pictures, now.

Im trying to find em. they are printed, so Ill have to scan em. Its pretty fucking glorious.

Let me tell you something about my Physics teacher in high school.

He was awesome. Had some crazy obsession with Wine Gums and was the epitome of mad scientist.

Used to be one of the lead technicians at sellafield (one of the largest nuclear power plants in europe) and it crazy awesome.

so its coming to the final semester as it were and we have to do a selection of course work. It can be group work or solo, so a few mates decide to do group cause, well, we suck as physics and group course work nigh on guarantees success, or at least spread blame.

So the options are kind of like the following:

investigate capacitors
    explore the law of gravity
    examine conductivity.

so its totally open ended, and is supervised work (as in all done in class) for about 6 weeks, including the weeks holiday aroudn easter.

so obviously, we take the explore laws of gravity one, cause from the outset we plan to bomb something or blow shit up. a good choice too as the guys who chose the others ended up in the electonic labs for 6 weeks looking at oscilloscopes and recording mountains of data, while we were out on the rugby pitch contruction pure win out of solid oak.

so this trebuchet, simple in design really. building it wasnt terribly hard. deciding on the size and actually how to tie it in with decent science was hard. so in the end we went on a kind of 'showing how things fly in parabolas' type experiment. as all course work had to be presented as a kind of thesis, with predictions and conclusions and data etc only more basic as it was only high school.

constuction was complete and let me tell you one thing. trebuchets are fucking powerful. even a tiny one we built as a prototype the first week for the 'predictions' part of the work (it was about 20cm high) launched fucking pencil shapeners through blackboards (piercing through and shattering the brittle board)

the final thing stood about 4m high, roughly. it didnt have wheels so we had to get the grounds staff to haul it around for us.

so the day of 'data collection' arrived and we used the discus circle and subsequent field as an experiment area. good plan as it already had distance markers laid out for incredible distances.

load up the melon and did a trial run.

this thing fucking launched out of this thing like some sort of meteor. we wrapped it in a kind of sling and it shot out like a bullet and just vanished. we expected to break the thing but this watermelon (not terribly huge one) was just gone. then we look up and its flying over the school building, which as mentioned is like 4 storeys tall (and as a little anecdote, built in 1667 ish by town elders no less!) and we race around the side of this thing after we hear this thunderous crash and an alarm. this is like 5pm well after school though but a few people are there with us. we get to the primary school across the road, behind the carkpark and find carnage. the roof is caved in, and the classroom is pasted with watermelon, tables are smashed in half. Imagine that scene from Armageddon where the asteroid smashes through all those skyscrapers in new york and obliterates that cab. only on a watermelon scale.

so our physics teacher comes running in after us (the school is always open at this time until 6 cause its also a daycare and a kind of infant school) but only for like 3 or 4 children and one nanny) and just smiles.

we had a pretty high bill to pay (our parents ended up shelling out about £300 split 4 ways for the roof and clean up) and needless to say my n64 was confiscated for a long time (as in, i still havent had it back)

i swear, ill look for the photos but im not holding hope. considering id have to drive 2 hours to my parents house and dig around for the original course work folder (got the photos developed, this way before digital cameras were around popular).

regardless, it was legendary and still talked about at the school. the trebuchet was dismantled and eventually used as wood for the shop class for like the next 2 years (we bought all the wood ourselves)

so we get an A+ for it (for any brits, this is year 9, dunno what american equivalent is, someoen mention) and a glowing report at the end of the year.

we were the same dudes who like 4 years later came into school the night before our graduation at midnight, climbed over the fence with wheelbarrows and emptied the sand pit at the long jump area of the sports field, spent about 5 hours carting what must have been like 3 tons of white sand onto the teachers lounge lawn and constructed a beach volleyball pitch for our last day. was absolutely glorious.

ah, i love reminiscing.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Pictures, now.

Im trying to find em. they are printed, so Ill have to scan em. Its pretty fucking glorious.

He was awesome. Had some crazy obsession with Wine Gums and was the epitome of mad scientist.

Used to be one of the lead technicians at sellafield (one of the largest nuclear power plants in europe) and it crazy awesome.

My Physics teacher was somewhat like that but I wish he let us build a trebuchet the deadliest thing we got to play with was some flammable bubbles

Jawa on
  • Options
    Robo BeatRobo Beat Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Pumpkin-chuckers are fun and reasonably-sized, but be careful not to get a midget stuck underneath yours.

Robo Beat on
    This is not the greatest sig in the world.
    This is just a tribute.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Jawa wrote: »

Pictures, now.

My Physics teacher was somewhat like that but I wish he let us build a trebuchet the deadliest thing we got to play with was some flammable bubbles

Our chemistry teacher used to get the classes attention if we were talking loudly or ignoring him by throwing a chunk of frozen caesium into the sink by his desk.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Pictures, now.

so its coming to the final semester as it were and we have to do a selection of course work. It can be group work or solo, so a few mates decide to do group cause, well, we suck as physics and group course work nigh on guarantees success, or at least spread blame.

So the options are kind of like the following:

investigate capacitors
    explore the law of gravity
    examine conductivity.

so its totally open ended, and is supervised work (as in all done in class) for about 6 weeks, including the weeks holiday aroudn easter.

so obviously, we take the explore laws of gravity one, cause from the outset we plan to bomb something or blow shit up. a good choice too as the guys who chose the others ended up in the electonic labs for 6 weeks looking at oscilloscopes and recording mountains of data, while we were out on the rugby pitch contruction pure win out of solid oak.

so this trebuchet, simple in design really. building it wasnt terribly hard. deciding on the size and actually how to tie it in with decent science was hard. so in the end we went on a kind of 'showing how things fly in parabolas' type experiment. as all course work had to be presented as a kind of thesis, with predictions and conclusions and data etc only more basic as it was only high school.

constuction was complete and let me tell you one thing. trebuchets are fucking powerful. even a tiny one we built as a prototype the first week for the 'predictions' part of the work (it was about 20cm high) launched fucking pencil shapeners through blackboards (piercing through and shattering the brittle board)

the final thing stood about 4m high, roughly. it didnt have wheels so we had to get the grounds staff to haul it around for us.

so the day of 'data collection' arrived and we used the discus circle and subsequent field as an experiment area. good plan as it already had distance markers laid out for incredible distances.

load up the melon and did a trial run.

this thing fucking launched out of this thing like some sort of meteor. we wrapped it in a kind of sling and it shot out like a bullet and just vanished. we expected to break the thing but this watermelon (not terribly huge one) was just gone. then we look up and its flying over the school building, which as mentioned is like 4 storeys tall (and as a little anecdote, built in 1667 ish by town elders no less!) and we race around the side of this thing after we hear this thunderous crash and an alarm. this is like 5pm well after school though but a few people are there with us. we get to the primary school across the road, behind the carkpark and find carnage. the roof is caved in, and the classroom is pasted with watermelon, tables are smashed in half. Imagine that scene from Armageddon where the asteroid smashes through all those skyscrapers in new york and obliterates that cab. only on a watermelon scale.

so our physics teacher comes running in after us (the school is always open at this time until 6 cause its also a daycare and a kind of infant school) but only for like 3 or 4 children and one nanny) and just smiles.

we had a pretty high bill to pay (our parents ended up shelling out about £300 split 4 ways for the roof and clean up) and needless to say my n64 was confiscated for a long time (as in, i still havent had it back)

i swear, ill look for the photos but im not holding hope. considering id have to drive 2 hours to my parents house and dig around for the original course work folder (got the photos developed, this way before digital cameras were around popular).

regardless, it was legendary and still talked about at the school. the trebuchet was dismantled and eventually used as wood for the shop class for like the next 2 years (we bought all the wood ourselves)

so we get an A+ for it (for any brits, this is year 9, dunno what american equivalent is, someoen mention) and a glowing report at the end of the year.

we were the same dudes who like 4 years later came into school the night before our graduation at midnight, climbed over the fence with wheelbarrows and emptied the sand pit at the long jump area of the sports field, spent about 5 hours carting what must have been like 3 tons of white sand onto the teachers lounge lawn and constructed a beach volleyball pitch for our last day. was absolutely glorious.

ah, i love reminiscing.

Shit, I just graduated High School and if we did that shit we would have been called terrorists and locked up.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    Pshaw math. Can math lift heavy planks of wood and rocks?

Math can kill you with its mind.

Actually, it uses its mind to construct said trebuchet and launch 200 kilos of rock at your head.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Echo wrote: »
    Malkor wrote: »
    Pshaw math. Can math lift heavy planks of wood and rocks?

Math can kill you with its mind.

Actually, it uses its mind to construct said trebuchet and launch 200 kilos of rock at your head.

Wreckin your shit with math.

[tiny]Anyone gets this reference then hi5[/tiny]

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Scarab, that is an awesome story! :lol:

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Pictures, now.

Our chemistry teacher used to get the classes attention if we were talking loudly or ignoring him by throwing a chunk of frozen caesium into the sink by his desk.

What school did you go to so when I have kids I can send them there seriously that is awesome

Jawa on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Pictures, now.

What school did you go to so when I have kids I can send them there seriously that is awesome

British high schools are so balls to the wall dangerous when I was young.

I mean, caesium in water is hilariously dangerous, all we heard was like a thunderous BOOM and hes just at the front smiling at us.

When we started doing thermodynamics he got bored and let us watch Heat on the projector for 2 hours. Headmaster comes in and asks what we were doing (after other teachers in that block complained of, i kid you not, 'loud noises and gunfighting').

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2007
    If I had the power to change the title of this thread, it would be the new G&T Chat Thread, dedicated to discussing Gastrophetes and Trebuchets, and maybe other siege weapons, but those are really the best two.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    BALLISTAS!

Now those were awesome.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2007
    BALLISTAS!

Now those were awesome.

Fuck ballistas.

A.) In Greek that just means "throwers," ie, their name is silly.
    B.) They're just big, unwieldy crossbows.

Now, the cheiroballistra, that's good shit.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    suadeosuadeo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I currently have the wood, the plans and most of the tools I need to finish my treb. The only thing I lack is the time. :(

I think my plans call for a 2.5-3ft arm. Should be fun to see what I can throw with it.

suadeo on
    Valseki.png
    My 360 is [strike]back[/strike] [strike]bricked[/strike] back! :D
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My friend made a real working winding crank crossbow for his tech class and actually, yeah... He miscalculated because it put a pencil right thru some thin plywood that was supposed to stop the pencil.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I always try to build trebuchets in G-mod, but the sling part on the end is hard. You have to make a weld on the object you're tossing to the sling, then undo it at the right point. At least that's the closest I've gotten to the real thing.

So usually I just make a weighted catapult.

Anybody see that Robert Redford movie where they escape prison or something by building and somehow hiding giant trebuchets inside the prison yard to seige the gaurd towers with? "The Last Castle" is what it was.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Have people actually made working trebuchets in Garry's Mod?

Captain K on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2007
    Survey says: Yes.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O-iiXCZe0o

Irritating music warning.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    oh, duh. should have just searched for it myself. :P

Seems like even the creator of this one admits it's not totally accurate. I can't blame him; doing stuff like that in G-Mod always struck me as insanely complicated.

Captain K on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    i wish i got to build medieval siege weaponry in high shcool :|

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    i wish i got to build medieval siege weaponry in high shcool :|
    Don't we all.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I would always spam Trebuchets in Age of Empires II

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    When I was in Scotland, near Loch Ness and Urqhuart Castle (terrible castle, sacked many times), there was a Trebuchet nearby, maintained by some historical society or another.

The best part about it, though, was the logo on the side:

BFT

I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    When I was in Scotland, near Loch Ness and Urqhuart Castle (terrible castle, sacked many times), there was a Trebuchet nearby, maintained by some historical society or another.

The best part about it, though, was the logo on the side:

BFT

I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

I think I saw that very trebuchet on the discovery channel the other day. They were throwing cars and flaming pianos with it.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007

I think I saw that very trebuchet on the discovery channel the other day. They were throwing cars and flaming pianos with it.

It does have a certain star quality to it, so yeah, I expect you did. Damn thing was enormous.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    SkySky Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I like how you can use Trebuchets in Medieval 2: Total War, and hurl rocks, flaming pots, and dead cows.

Sky on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    My mom continually does medieval stuff for homeschooling my youngest brother, who is now 10.

3-4 years ago, she taught him about trebuchets and they built one.

Last year, he made an actual mace. Real wood and real nails.

Also, he also got to make a replica viking shield.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    My mom continually does medieval stuff for homeschooling my youngest brother, who is now 10.

3-4 years ago, she taught him about trebuchets and they built one.

Last year, he made an actual mace. Real wood and real nails.

Also, he also got to make a replica viking shield.

Don't fucking mess with those home schooled kids. They'll mess you up.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Back when my local Scout troops were actually decent, we used to go on weekend camps to earn proficiency badges. For our Pioneer Badge, we formed two teams to create trebuchets using logs, pulleys and rope. It taught us square and diamond lashings, plus the parallel one I can't remember the name of, and when we were finished we had to fire traffic cones at each other's trebuchets. We didn't have weights for the end, so the power was supplied by eight of us, a long rope and a pulley arrangement.

Scouts was fucking awesome back in the day.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My friend built a trebuchet. It was around 3' tall. Never saw it fire, though.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Damn, that is an awesome trebuchet.

The BFT one.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    meekermeeker Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Trebuchet was the name of my Rogue in WoW. Usually pronounced as Treebucket by some fuckwad in Vent...

meeker on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Aroduc wrote: »

Wikipedia wrote:
    Trebuchet is Old French, from trebucher "to throw over" < tres "over, beyond" and buc "torso" < Latin trans and a Germanic word.

So Trebuchet basically just means "object that throws over" :P

We had to make catapults for our highschool physics class. Most people tried to make trebuchets, but few actually had them work--most ran into some sort of transportation issue and weren't building the right tool for the job. We just made a good old fashioned catapult with coiled bungee cords. If you can throw the tennis ball almost as far, then you don't really need the leverage a trebuchet provides. Plus ours was super light-awesome PVC pipe.

One guy built a ballista with super high tension and a winch. It was my favorite.

piL on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    piL wrote: »

Wikipedia wrote:
    Trebuchet is Old French, from trebucher "to throw over" < tres "over, beyond" and buc "torso" < Latin trans and a Germanic word.

We had to make catapults for our highschool physics class. Most people tried to make trebuchets, but few actually had them work--most ran into some sort of transportation issue and weren't building the right tool for the job. We just made a good old fashioned catapult with coiled bungee cords. If you can throw the tennis ball almost as far, then you don't really need the leverage a trebuchet provides. Plus ours was super light-awesome PVC pipe.

One guy built a ballista with super high tension and a winch. It was my favorite.
    No trebuchet? Then GTFO. :arrow:

Also, the way I'm reading the above, it translates to "object that throws torsos over," which is awesome.

gilrain on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    God damnit why did you people have such awesome physics classes and not me? We did the fucking egg drop contest. :x

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    gilrain wrote: »
    piL wrote: »

Wikipedia wrote:

No trebuchet? Then GTFO. :arrow:

Also, the way I'm reading the above, it translates to "object that throws torsos over," which is awesome.
    Sometimes I wish I had paid attention in French.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    suadeosuadeo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    With my design, I don't want to use nails/brads. I really want to drill a hole and put glue and a dowel. My only problem is drilling straight down. While a small drill press would be nice, its a bit expensive. Anyone have any suggestions?

suadeo on
    Valseki.png
    My 360 is [strike]back[/strike] [strike]bricked[/strike] back! :D
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've not really anything to add bar that this is exactly the kind of thread I want in G&T. Glorius.

Well that and I'm thinking of making a desk-uchet now...

Lave II on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Damn, that is an awesome trebuchet.

The BFT one.

So who wants to toss out what they think "BFT" stands for?

My first thought was that the makers played too much Doom.

Dracomicron on