As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Gametrailers and Sites Like It

Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Games and Technology
Gametrailers is by far one of the best websites out there as far as gaming news, reviews, and other cool shit. Their various retrospectives on franchises along with stuff like "the bonus round" has really affected the way I get information about games and the gaming business.

So I thought maybe a discussion about how that site has changed the way we get gaming information is in order. It's the first (as far as I know) all free gaming site that really uses the internet to it's full potential. It also feels like a throwback to TechTV with "the bonus round". Also I'm on really strong pain medication, so this thread may actually be a wash.

What things on Gametrailers have you guys enjoyed?

(edited to make this more about gaming journalism 2.0)

No I don't.
Death of Rats on

• LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    What other site gives ya HD game footage without charging you for a subscription? Loves me some Gametrailers. Their previews and retrospectives are pretty neat.

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    What things on Gametrailers have you guys enjoyed?

Trailers of games.

reVerse on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    shill much? ;P

I find their reviews to be pretty meh to be honest, they seem to always eb towards saying the game is OK, I have never seen them absolutely tear into a game. Recently they gave Lair a really bad score, but the review made it sound quite good, for example.

I use it mainly as a source for trailers and footage, rather than a source for opinion, I also use gamevideos for the same.

Consolevania is where it is at for reviews/opinion in video form on the interwebs. If only for their brilliant God Hand review

I also enjoy Fully Ramblomatic, but that hasn't been going very long, and is more entertainment than anything else.

LewieP on
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I have to say that GameTrailers has probably the best interface I have seen for a video viewing/download website since their update a month ago. I tend to download from them rather than GameVideos, although I have GameVideos in my RSS reader just for completeness. Their interviews and event coverage are generally pretty decent, too.

devoir on
  • LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    I love the HD trailers and check the site daily. The reviews can be pretty heavy as they actually show you whats wrong and right with a game.

LondonBridge on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    Recently they gave Lair a really bad score, but the review made it sound quite good, for example.

Must have been a different Gametrailers I watched the review on then.

Echo on
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I haven't seen a review on there that I haven't somewhat agreed with.

They may not be as harsh as some other sites, but being able to see the problems they talk about really does help show if you want the game or not. I mean, look at the "My Sims" review. They mention slowdowns, and in the video you see exactly how bad those slowdowns are.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
    edited September 2007
    Echo wrote: »
    Recently they gave Lair a really bad score, but the review made it sound quite good, for example.

hmm, I may be remembering incorrectly, I watched it when it came out, and that was my instant reaction.

I don't think they said anything inaccurate, but it seemed like they desognated 50% of the time to talking about good stuff, and 50% of the time talking about bad stuff, even it seemed like there was more bad than good.

I know it's something I have thought of their reviews in the past, maybe Lair was a bad example (though if it was, I can't off the top of my head think of a good example)

lolopinions

LewieP on
  • PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Trailers and gameplay videos. The best in what they do is what made them good in the first place.

It's interesting seeing how many people they've parnered with though. MTV, spike tv (game head), screw attack, etc.

Polago on
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The best thing about Gametrailers is that they offer videos in formats that I can play on my PSP and my 360. I can download stuff that I might want to watch "on-the-go" in PSP/iPod format (which also works on the 360!), and I can download HD stuff in WMV so I can watch it using the 360 on my HDTV.

mntorankusu on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    shill much? ;P

Sorry? I can't hear you over the sound of your sig which you pimp at every opportune and inopportune moment. :mrgreen:

subedii on
  • LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Echo wrote: »

I'm hoping the Lair review will make publishers think hard about releasing an unfinished game. The video review can show things that a written review cannot like bug, graphical tearing, and such.

LondonBridge on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I really like GT's reviews, though I don't pay attention to their scores. I just like watching the footage of the game while they talk about the positives or negatives of said game, that way I can see whether the positive/negative aspects would affect my gameplay experience (rather than just completely relying on someones opinion in a written review).

Oh and their FF retrospectives have been fantastic.

As for their new site design, I dunno, it really annoys me how they've now got trailers which aren't available for download. I by far prefer to download videos rather than stream them.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    edited September 2007
    That's generally not their doing, it's footage that has conditions put on it. At least you can watch it. Gamevideos has the same thing.

devoir on
    edited September 2007
    subedii wrote: »
    shill much? ;P

Sorry? I can't hear you over the sound of your sig which you pimp at every opportune and inopportune moment. :mrgreen:

touché, good sir.

LewieP on
  • Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I find their reviews to be pretty meh to be honest, they seem to always eb towards saying the game is OK, I have never seen them absolutely tear into a game. Recently they gave Lair a really bad score, but the review made it sound quite good, for example.
    Watch their Transformers review.

Mei Hikari on
  • skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I still don't understand how gametrailers even functions. But I like it. All that bandwidth from all those HD trailers and the site is never ever slow. Plus, the most recent interface is fuck awesome.

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2007
    I think they have pre-video advertising on some of their streaming stuff, plus they're now partnered with a bunch of groups as mentioned earlier in the thread. Their staff would seem to be pretty small and they would get a bunch of advertising from their page view ads (forums, etc).

devoir on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Plus I wouldn't be surprised if some companies pay them to host their trailers / materials early on. Cheap publicity.

subedii on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    friend of a friend works for gametrailers. that makes it cool. also its a great place for game trailers

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • sabyulsabyul Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Gametrailers and Gamersyde are my go-tos for game media. Gamersyde seems to update faster than anyone, ever. And they do things like, when there was a press-only Halo 3 demo, they just recorded the sound from it and uploaded it for everyone to hear. Haha.

sabyul on
    http://www.frame-advantage.com - Specializing in high quality fighting game video content
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    sabyul wrote: »
    Gametrailers and Gamersyde are my go-tos for game media. Gamersyde seems to update faster than anyone, ever. And they do things like, when there was a press-only Halo 3 demo, they just recorded the sound from it and uploaded it for everyone to hear. Haha.

Yea I agree these 2 sites alone are what I frequent most.

The only other 2 sites I use at are NeoGAF because it has a fuck ton of industry people there and they are always the first to know.

And 1up because the 1up show and their podcasts are the shit.

Also Between the Metroid and Final Fantasy Retrospectives gametrailers needs to be making these things for any series as pack-ins for games. The Final Fantasy one obliterates the one that came with Final Fantasy 12.

bloodyroarxx on
  • davidbarrydavidbarry Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    sabyul wrote: »

Yea I agree these 2 sites alone are what I frequent most.

The only other 2 sites I use at are NeoGAF because it has a fuck ton of industry people there and they are always the first to know.

And 1up because the 1up show and their podcasts are the shit.

Also Between the Metroid and Final Fantasy Retrospectives gametrailers needs to be making these things for any series as pack-ins for games. The Final Fantasy one obliterates the one that came with Final Fantasy 12.

You've mirrored my sentiments exactly. Gametrailers and Gamersyde for media (I especially like Gamersyde's focus on exclusive, high-res videos) and 1up for all things editorial. (Lester Bangs need not apply)

Penny Arcade is great for discussion of games and Neogaf is a great place to browse for the latest news. Between those five sites any gamer should have just about every piece of gaming news and media they need.

Oh, except for one more site: www.tigsource.com. The Independent Gaming Source. Between news of things like Braid and Gish 2, and articles on tons of unique, free-to-play games, this place kicks a whole lot of ass.

davidbarry on
    davidbarry.jpg
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Other than their scores, which often don't make much sense, I really like Gametrailers reviews for the most part.

bruin on