As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Connecting a CD/DVD drive to your sound card...(SOLVED)

TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Is it necessary to do this? I have always just connected the IDE ribbon cable and the power supply cable to the drive, and that's it. I've never run any cables from the disc drive to the sound card, but my computer is always able to play the audio from discs that I put in.

TM2 Rampage on

• Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Back in the old days, it was needed if you wanted to listen to CD Audio on your PC, because old processors couldn't handle the task without bogging down. Nowadays, playing CD Audio barely registers on the utilization. It certainly won't hurt anything to connect it, but you won't likely notice any difference.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ah, I see. Thanks.

I checked my disc drives just now and they ARE connected to the sound card, but I'm not too sure if it's to the correct spots on the sound card. Just to test it out (before reading your reply) I unplugged the audio cable, turned the comp on, and tried playing a CD in that drive... and the audio did work. I didn't notice any difference in performance, though, I think.

TM2 Rampage on