As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Is Windows Vista worth it?

• MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Well the girl is toeing the minimum specs for running Vista. Vista runs best on 2GB+ of RAM, sort of like how XP runs best with 1GB+ of RAM. I think the recommended specs for XP include a 300mhz processor and 128 megs of RAM, I'd switch back to 95 before dealing with that. My laptop has one of the slower core2 processors, 2GB of RAM and onboard Intel video, and the OS is stable and quick even with Aero on.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    Well the girl is toeing the minimum specs for running Vista. Vista runs best on 2GB+ of RAM, sort of like how XP runs best with 1GB+ of RAM. I think the recommended specs for XP include a 300mhz processor and 128 megs of RAM, I'd switch back to 95 before dealing with that. My laptop has one of the slower core2 processors, 2GB of RAM and onboard Intel video, and the OS is stable and quick even with Aero on.

Oh, I know. She's a fucking retard for buying a laptop without any knowledge of what she was doing beforehand. It would run a hell of a lot better on my machine, with a high end c2d and 4 gigs of RAM.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    LaCabra wrote: »
    Sounds like there's something pretty heavily the matter with your system, dude.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was something horribly wrong with my machine. It's been crashing since day 1. It was built by my idiot co-workers, so I wouldn't doubt it if they used some shitty RAM.

Is there any way for me to see what brand they used? The device manager reveals nothing. Also, has there been any reports of AMD/Vista conflicts? I'm currently running an Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+.

my advise is open your box up, find out the name of the ram... go online, and get the voltage and timing from the official website and manually set them in the bios.. see if that gets rid of the problem.

the video card.. goto guru3d and download and use driver cleaner to make sure everything is gone and get the latest beta driver from nvidia. not sure if it will help or not, but would be worth a try.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Don't blame the os for sub par hardware. There are a whole lot of laptops out there with integrated graphics using shared memory, not enough ram, and a celeron or sempron processor that will make anything run like frozen molasses uphill. People who install Vista on poor hardware and then complain about it are the same people who will buy a game like Bioshock and then wonder why it won't run on their 5yo tech sm2 video card. It's amazing that most of the people who have a negative impression of Vista either haven't run it at all and go on hearsay or they are either running it on substandard hardware or haven't tried it since February.

stigweard on
  • Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Does anyone else get this pretty irritating thing with taskmanager? Let's say a process stops responding. I open up task manager, and then select end task. It asks me if I want to close the program, and I click yes. Then it asks me if I want to close the program or close the program and search for a solution(WTF?)
    I always think the solution to closing the program is to close the program.
    It's a pretty minor nuisance, I'd just like to know what it's good for?

Burning Organ on
  • imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I won't buy another product from Microsoft until they release service pack 3 for XP. That's including Vista. Right now there are about 100 updates AFTER service pack 2 and there's no reason they can't bundle them into something decidedly smaller than two hours of hell to download and install -- provided that XP even attempts to install them. THANK YOU dial-a-fix for existing!

Right now the only thing that would ever make me switch to Vista is if it was A) free or B) completely necessary. It's not? Then pass.

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    squirly wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    I remember an interesting article on Slashdot awhile back laying out some of the shadow voodoo Microsoft had to work under to make the HD content managing system work in Vista. Ultimately that's enough reason for me to stay the hell away from it, but eventually my hand will be forced by hardware upgrades. Personally I see no reason to spend money on Vista when XP does everything you need, Vista just adds some cosmetic things, which admittedly are nice, just not hundreds of dollars nice for me. Also the DX10 stuff has been up to now, pretty nominal. CoH and Bioshock added some effects, but they were pretty minimal. Supposedly Crysis will be the first true DX10 game, but I'm still of the opinion that we'll see DX10 in XP at some point.

But a free OS is a free OS, and it will be hard to stick with XP into the foreseeable future, so go with it and dual boot.
    I'm requesting that whoever helps you turn on your computer to stop doing so so I don't have to read paranoid lies on PA.

Yes, it's worth it, and no, it's not expensive.. unless you're a little slow and fail to realise there are versions other than Ultimate and fail to see what discounts are available.

XP was pretty poor so Ubuntu / OSX became my favourites but Vista now has the crown, for the most part, there are a hell of a lot of things I still like on Linux/OSX but overall Vista gets the most action.. and some of you guys are spewing pathetic amounts of lies or are just plain being clueless.

Vista won't play restricted HD content without having properly certified hardware, and will apparently artificiallly reduce the quality if the DRM certificates and all that don't match.

This is HD content that won't play on any previous OS; in order to get support MS put in the DRM system. It would have been awesome if the company threw its weight around to try to bully the content providers, but this didn't happen.

Some Crazy Internet Guy in New Zealand (or something) wrote an article about how this DRM was over-the-top industry changing 1984 stuff, and would destroy the next generation of PC computing by utterly crushing any performance under Vista. Oddly, his predictions have yet to hold true, especially as we see Vista performing better than XP on new hardware in a maturing environment. Still, whenever anyone talks about the EVIL PERFORMANCE-CHOKING DRM IN VISTA they refer back to this article (or newsgroup post).

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

I wouldn't be surprised if there was something horribly wrong with my machine. It's been crashing since day 1. It was built by my idiot co-workers, so I wouldn't doubt it if they used some shitty RAM.

Is there any way for me to see what brand they used? The device manager reveals nothing. Also, has there been any reports of AMD/Vista conflicts? I'm currently running an Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+.

Nope, I'm running an Opteron system with Vista Business, and it's been running fine since launch.

I built an AMD system for a friend in June, and it's been running fine also.

Either something went horribly wrong with a part in your system, or your "idiot co-workers" screwed your system royally.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Fodder wrote: »
    I'm dual booting xp and vista on my desktop, but I haven't used xp in more than 2 months. I haven't found anything completely broken with it, and it seems to have nearly perfect backwards compatibility with what I've tried to install. Also, you can use dx10 with it so thats another bonus.

It's the completely opposite for me. I'm also dual-booting, but I haven't used Vista in months now. Dreamscene crashed once and refuses to work anymore, if you don't specifically install a game with Vista it will not run it (unlike XP where often you can just run the game from it's folder without any entries in the registry or anything), and occasionally it will crash. A lot of my programs either do not run or run badly on it. I still see no reason to use it and soon enough I'm going to be using Partition Magic to claim back some of that space for my XP installation, which is in bad need of it.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Don't forget the 'network performance drops while listening to music' bug. Or has that been resolved?

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    scootch wrote: »

my advise is open your box up, find out the name of the ram... go online, and get the voltage and timing from the official website and manually set them in the bios.. see if that gets rid of the problem.

I'm in a wheelchair, so I can't physically open the box myself. I'm going to ask my co-workers today about the brand they used.
    the video card.. goto guru3d and download and use driver cleaner to make sure everything is gone and get the latest beta driver from nvidia. not sure if it will help or not, but would be worth a try.

Thanks for the tip! :)

Nightslyr on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Basically my thoughts are: Vista for free = totally get it
    Vista for $100+ = totally not worth it

I never put out money for a new OS until at least the first service pack is released.

Does anyone else remember how PO'd we were with XP when it first released because it was buggy and bloated with graphics and our Win98 games sometimes wouldn't work because the "compatibility mode" was a shot in the dark?
    Now here we are, talking like XP was the greatest thing ever and we refuse that Vista could be any better. It hasn't even been out for a year, the first service pack hasn't been officially released yet, and it's pretty. Of course machines that weren't built for it (and underpowered machines that are sold as if they were built for it) are not going to run it well.

It's just a wait and see situation, but if you can get it cheap or free, then it's worth it, even if you don't install it for a while.

I got my copies of XP Pro through MS retail site for $10ea. I waited until SP1 came out and then installed it. I plan on doing the same (though I need to find a new way to get Vista cheap as I no longer work retail) this time around. I just am not paying $100+ for an OS.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • falling_stonefalling_stone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Pros:
    1. Its Beautiful in terms of the interface.
    2. I think it has better indexing, once you get used to it.
    3. Free.

Major Cons:
    1. The mac commercial is right. It doesn't do anything without your sayso.
    2. Windows defender is a fucking nazi whore.
    3. Windows Vista HATES old games.

falling_stone on
    This sig is too small - Elki :P
    snowfalling.jpg
    edited September 2007
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Basically my thoughts are: Vista for free = totally get it
    Vista for $100+ = totally not worth it

I never put out money for a new OS until at least the first service pack is released.

Does anyone else remember how PO'd we were with XP when it first released because it was buggy and bloated with graphics and our Win98 games sometimes wouldn't work because the "compatibility mode" was a shot in the dark?
    Now here we are, talking like XP was the greatest thing ever and we refuse that Vista could be any better. It hasn't even been out for a year, the first service pack hasn't been officially released yet, and it's pretty. Of course machines that weren't built for it (and underpowered machines that are sold as if they were built for it) are not going to run it well.

It's just a wait and see situation, but if you can get it cheap or free, then it's worth it, even if you don't install it for a while.

I got my copies of XP Pro through MS retail site for $10ea. I waited until SP1 came out and then installed it. I plan on doing the same (though I need to find a new way to get Vista cheap as I no longer work retail) this time around. I just am not paying $100+ for an OS.

In early July I got myself the following -

Core 2 Duo E6420 2.13GHz 4mb cache
    2GB PC6400 Corsair XMS
    GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB

This was basically built for Vista and DirectX 10 games. I've seen no reason to use it yet, and when I do, it's buggy and crashes every now and then, most of my programs won't work properly, and it won't shut up whenever I try to run anything... yes, you can turn it off, but it's several layers deep. And yes, I remember that it took XP a while to get into it's stride, too, but Microsoft should have released Vista when it was ready, not a year early and bugged to high heaven.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

• ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Long time Vista hater, first time Vista user. What a whiny piece of software. Every time I do anything it whinges and moanes.

(Had to help my sister with her new laptop. Computers apparently only comes in Vista flavor these days)

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
    edited September 2007
    Long time Vista hater, first time Vista user. What a whiny piece of software. Every time I do anything it whinges and moanes.

(Had to help my sister with her new laptop. Computers apparently only comes in Vista flavor these days)

So you hated it before you used it and your suspicions were confirmed. Sweet.

Malkor on
    edited September 2007
    Rohan wrote: »
    This was basically built for Vista and DirectX 10 games. I've seen no reason to use it yet, and when I do, it's buggy and crashes every now and then, most of my programs won't work properly, and it won't shut up whenever I try to run anything... yes, you can turn it off, but it's several layers deep. And yes, I remember that it took XP a while to get into it's stride, too, but Microsoft should have released Vista when it was ready, not a year early and bugged to high heaven.

It was released on time; the fuck up was in preparing the rest of the industry for a massive difference. A whole new driver model and admin restriction fuck with just about everything out there. I think the worst part is dx10 drivers... you get *nothing*, apparently, by trying to run dx10 right now. Nvidia's suck, and ATI doesn't even have functional drivers yet.

Despite the final version being ready in October or so of last year, no one seemed prepared. Hell, it took Dell until May of this year to have working printer drivers for some models.

Vista's actually quite stable and polished (not without flaws, but better than any previous Windows release... ok, maybe not polished...), it was just shoved into an ecosystem that hadn't had to adapt to a new OS for almost a decade.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

So you hated it before you used it and your suspicions were confirmed. Sweet.

And Vista could not connect to the 802.1x network where my Win XP and Ubuntu on the same laptop had no problem. A reset to factory defaults did fix it, but the experience sealed the deal on upgrading to Linux instead of Vista next time I switch OS.

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    here's a possibly dumb question. If you install vista over XP, do you have to reinstall all your games in Vista over again, or do the programs you had installed in XP just carry right over to the new OS?

DiscoZombie on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Everything carries over, you don't need to reinstall anything.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
    edited September 2007
    good news for me, maybe i'll actually make the switch... thanks:D

DiscoZombie on
    edited September 2007
    Morskittar wrote: »
    Rohan wrote: »

It was released on time; the fuck up was in preparing the rest of the industry for a massive difference. A whole new driver model and admin restriction fuck with just about everything out there. I think the worst part is dx10 drivers... you get *nothing*, apparently, by trying to run dx10 right now. Nvidia's suck, and ATI doesn't even have functional drivers yet.

Despite the final version being ready in October or so of last year, no one seemed prepared. Hell, it took Dell until May of this year to have working printer drivers for some models.

Vista's actually quite stable and polished (not without flaws, but better than any previous Windows release... ok, maybe not polished...), it was just shoved into an ecosystem that hadn't had to adapt to a new OS for almost a decade.

Wasn't there a whole raft of important upgrades that were cut from Vista half a year before launch? Like the new file system to replace NTFS and more like that...?

Rohan on

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    There was, they cut out pretty much everything cool about Longhorn and all their big money promises to provide...wait for it....a shiny interface and better search tools, then they split the product up into a mess of different versions to the point of needing a chart to divine what you should buy, which left a Vista Basic version that is actually worse for you than XP. A version I might add, that pretty much every time I see potential buyers in a store consider buying it, they are told flat out, "Don't buy this, it's worthless".

Now I'm not saying Vista is completely worthless, I'm saying it's another ME, and I really think for the average user or gamer, it just isn't worth it as an OS (yet), I've yet to see anyone really point out the definite advantages it has over XP, or even 2000, that can justify its price. For power users, perhaps there is a difference, I haven't really seen it. But spare me the flames, I'll fully admit that Vista could be a great OS given a little time, but I think everybody here would agree with me that it is overpriced, was way behind schedule and over budget, and Microsoft could have did much much better with it.

Dark_Side on
    edited September 2007
    Hmm... I'd agree with the Windows ME comparison if it wasn't for DirectX 10... Vista at least has that going for it. ME had nothing...

Rohan on

edited September 2007
    The new file system was cut out when it was reset, something like two years before release.

I don't understand the confusion about versions, either;

XP Home - Basic
    XP Media Center - Premium
    XP Pro - Business
    Pro + Media Center - Ultimate

Is it really that confusing?

And, for the most part, I agree about upgrading. It's not really worth the cost to go out and buy an upgrade product, even with the actual improvements (and no, the goddamn interface isn't an improvement... why do people keep going back to this?) Going forward, though, the choices for me would be OS X or Vista for a new machine, not XP.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited September 2007
    The new file system was cut out when it was reset, something like two years before release.

XP Home - Basic
    XP Pro - Business

And, for the most part, I agree about upgrading. It's not really worth the cost to go out and buy an upgrade product, even with the actual improvements (and no, the goddamn interface isn't an improvement... why do people keep going back to this?) Going forward, though, the choices for me would be OS X or Vista for a new machine, not XP.

you forgot that there's 32 bit and 64 bit versions of each of those... so that's 8 versions to choose from

DiscoZombie on
    edited September 2007

XP Home - Basic
    XP Pro - Business

you forgot that there's 32 bit and 64 bit versions of each of those... so that's 8 versions to choose from

They're not sold as separate versions though... Ultimate comes with both disks, and the other versions let you order the other media kits. Retail, at least. OEM is different, but that's determined by OEMs; they're not packaged products.

But, uh, that still shouldn't be confusing.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Well for you or I, it isn't confusing. I make that point for the average consumer, but I really couldn't recommend a Vista box for a random user anyway, Apple seems to be far more catered to that demographic these days. For someone who just needs a computer, having several different versions to choose from makes an expensive purchase more confusing than it needs to be. But that's neither here nor there, the real question is whether Vista can stand on it's own and if it's worth it right now to buy. My opinion is no, but this argument has been hashed out in countless threads by this point, so it's pretty much a dead horse, and I can understand how some would see different.

I feel as consumers we're getting the shaft with Vista, MS is fairly quickly losing ground on the PC front, if game developers move back to OpenGL because of this DX10 lock-in MS pulled, or Apple and Linux builds like Ubuntu continue making significant OS progress, they are going to continue feeling the heat. I personally feel that Vista is a perfect example (much like the total lack of innovation in the later IE versions once netscape died) of what happens when your only competition as a company is yourself.

Dark_Side on
    edited September 2007
    Good call.

Microsoft's biggest strength (diverse options for everyone) is also the biggest weakness, especially on a consumer front. To the average home user, options are mutually exclusive to simplicity. Four versions of Windows forces a choice (not to mention OEM, Retail, etc...), while OS X comes with your PC.

I also think Vista was made for tomorrow's machines, not today's (except, maybe, top of the line). MS didn't really set that expectation, though, which was a huge mistake.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The boomer generation holds all the money right now... they are for the most part "computer stupid". All their kids though... and our kids... are growing up with skills 100 times greater than their parents' thanks to stuff like light coding on myspace pages and every day computer use.

This is why Apple is trying to market it's stuff as 'hip' more and more instead of "easy for stupid people".

Yes... if you can't decide which version of Windows to buy .... you should get a Mac. But those people won't be around much longer.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • SnowconeSnowcone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Nobody has mentioned anything about ReadyBoost, which is actually pretty slick. Pop in a usb thumbdrive, tell it to use it and zing, your machine is magically* faster.

*Not really magic, but for all intents and purposes it is.

Snowcone on
    edited September 2007
    here's a possibly dumb question. If you install vista over XP, do you have to reinstall all your games in Vista over again, or do the programs you had installed in XP just carry right over to the new OS?

Having done 2 in place upgrades to Vista Business, I can say that it works very well but takes forever. My brother did a clean install in 22 minutes. My upgrade took 4.5 hours.

Snowcone on
  • TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Snowcone wrote: »
    Nobody has mentioned anything about ReadyBoost, which is actually pretty slick. Pop in a usb thumbdrive, tell it to use it and zing, your machine is magically* faster.

*Not really magic, but for all intents and purposes it is.

I fucking love ReadyBoost. With thumb drives so cheap now there really isn't a good reason not to do it.

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Okay, so say I'm building a new gaming rig with a Core 2 Duo E6600. I should go with 64-bit Home Premium for that, right?

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
    edited September 2007
    Okay, so say I'm building a new gaming rig with a Core 2 Duo E6600. I should go with 64-bit Home Premium for that, right?

People keep posting about drivers not being available. If you're gonna go the Vista route stick to 32-bit for now I guess.

Malkor on
    edited September 2007

Two questions.

1. Is this only a gaming machine? If so Vista Biz OEM allows you to downgrade with an existing XP disk and key; XP now, Vista when drivers don't suck ass for no extra cost.

2. Will you ever need to connect to a server domain, schedule automatic backups, or have a flashy animated background? If none of those, you won't need Business or Ultimate (except for the above).

Just keep in mind that OEMs probably won't offer 64-bit Home Premium, and the retail one makes you order a separate disk. And I don't think support is that great for 64 bit OSes yet.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited September 2007

People keep posting about drivers not being available. If you're gonna go the Vista route stick to 32-bit for now I guess.

32 bit for now is the accepted route I would say.

Snowcone on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I know I'm listed as an irrational-Vista-detractor, but this time I have a good reason.

Vista was successfully infected by a 13 year old boot-sector virus.

Anyone who says it's more secure is just silly, as of this moment.

MechMantis on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    MechMantis wrote: »
    I know I'm listed as an irrational-Vista-detractor, but this time I have a good reason.

Vista was successfully infected by a 13 year old boot-sector virus.

Anyone who says it's more secure is just silly, as of this moment.

The fault is on the software, not the OS. The OS is not some omnipotent turing-test-passing entity. You can't expect the OS to protect you from every little contingency.

MKR on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    XP cannot be infected with the virus.

At all.

MechMantis on