Options

Mount&Blade .890 Is Out! "Charge!"

• Options
    HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I know, but these new features sound too good to pass up. One thing I don't like about Mount and Blade is how broken some of the shit is (ie. trying to raid that castle. I mean, what the fuck you retards why can't you just walk up a damn ramp and get into the castle without getting stuck).

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The key is to simply slaughter everyone yourself. The plus side is that the AI on both sides is pretty dumb, so you get some small advantage there.

Brolo on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Might just be a bunch of coincidences on my part, but the AI seems really fucking smart now.

They'll set up archers on the fucking steep hills.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The AI is smarter. Archers are no longer entierly reatarded. Does anyone know where to get large numbers of soldiers. I mean there are the mercs in Taverns, but I want a huge bunch of peasants so I can engage in some Combat related Darwinism.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think you need a village fiefdom to recruit trainees. After that, (And recruiting mercs, blades) I've been tracking down bands of pirates or bandits with plenty of prisoners and proceed to offer to take them off their hands for a paltry sum.
    The paltry sum is death.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    They changed the hiring system.

So your main sources of troops are

A) those dudes in taverns.

B) recruits from your fief.

C) freeing prisoners.

They need some sort of leadership or charisma based skill that lets you try to hire random groups.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Oh goddamnit no D:

I should be working on my turn of my WoW guild's Dwarf Fortress succession game, but guess what I'm doing? >.<

Does anyone find it seems to crash most of the time if you try to open the troop commander map more than once a battle? I can open it once at the start and tell everyone to follow me instead of charge, after that though it'll CTD.

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yeah. I tried to dragoon some random farmers but I had the options of A: Killing or B: Releasing. I guess I'll have to go and get a Fife then.

Asher on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Asher wrote: »
    Yeah. I tried to dragoon some random farmers but I had the options of A: Killing or B: Releasing. I guess I'll have to go and get a Fife then.

I was able to recruit some farmers from my prisioner stocks. On the party screen select them and there should be a 'recruit' button if any want to join. Funny that he wanted to join after I killed the rest of his town.

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    They have a tendency to run off, though.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Recruiting from your prisoners also lowers party morale, but if you're being chased by an angry group of a bajillion sea raiders, I'll happily take some fodder troops from my prisoners and fling them at the enemy.

One thing I don't like, however, is how absurdly easy it is to lame your horse. I've gone through four horses so far, and they all got crippled the first time they went down. So annoying.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    How do I change the battle size above 73? I want to see hundreds of soldiers on the field.. especially now that I can trample through them on my war-steed :D

edit: nevermind, found it:

http://www.mbrepository.com/modules/PDdownloads/singlefile.php?cid=8&lid=107

Shurakai on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Wooo, a little tactics make up for a very large number disparity. My fief town is on the border with a kingdom we're at war with, so I raid the nearest enemy town. On the way back from the 3rd trip into this same little town, its owner hits my fief. Bastard! I rush towards my town and defend it.

Maybe rushing wasn't the smartest idea, I had 30 troops and he had 74.

With a little brains and some cav micro I destroyed his force apart from 2 prisioners and 2 who joined me off the bat. All with 13 losses of my own.

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I had a similar experience of my own, and my fiefdom (one of the Vaegir ones, it's next to Rivacheg and in a forest) is in the middle of a heavily trafficked trade route, so rival armies pass through a lot. I ended up having to defend my village during a midnight raid against a very sizable Nord force.

Wasn't easy, but I managed to beat them back with only 5 losses to my own troops and about 7-8 dead villagers.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited September 2007
    The guys who do mount and blade need to learn the expression "feature lock"

they are fucking never finishing this thing ever and are money thieves for saying they will.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I'd be perfectly happy if they never finished it and just kept adding more awesome. Its not like you ahve to re-buy it every time they put out a new version. Its the mods that make the game really great anyway.

Asher on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So how did the combat improve? Is it less "charge and pick off one guy at a time?"

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I'd be perfectly happy if they never finished it and just kept adding more awesome. Its not like you ahve to re-buy it every time they put out a new version. Its the mods that make the game really great anyway.

I tried a few mods, the Last Days one was pretty comically awful if you aren't into LOTR. I like Mount and Blade, but I'd rather have a version with some coherence and a finished campaign than a version with ragdoll sodding physics. At the moment you just tool around for a while and then realise there isn't any kind of progression and get bored.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

I tried a few mods, the Last Days one was pretty comically awful if you aren't into LOTR. I like Mount and Blade, but I'd rather have a version with some coherence and a finished campaign than a version with ragdoll sodding physics. At the moment you just tool around for a while and then realise there isn't any kind of progression and get bored.

Thats all true. The mods that I actually liked I think are dead now. Really, its a very lightweight game. I've found its not something I can play continuously. Its something I pickup and play for an hour or so when I feel like putting an Axe through some illiterate peasants head. This version is a step in the right direction, with the ability to actually wage war and burn villages. I'd like to see this taken further so you can win by destroying the other factions. That's something the last Days actually did well I thought

Asher on
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

You go from a lone dude picking fights, to a band of warriors who can fucking pillage and burn down villages, to the leader of an army who can conquer and control them and make them grow! How's that for progression?

I guess you don't like Sim City either, because this is like Sim Crusade or something.

Your idea isn't even a proper idea! It's what you get when you buy a story driven game in the store and play it to the end, and then it rots on your bookshelf. This is an ongoing (hopefully never ending) evolution, which will only encompass more and more features and detail to flesh out the world.

I think you're better of with that Fable game, perhaps?

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Well, currently you can't really make them grow that much or conquer other stuff. Im assumign that will be added later. Im still getting into this whole Fiefdom thing. But its pretty fun so far. Definatly the best version yet.

Asher on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Mount and Blade is a $22 running peasants over simulation.

And that is just fine.

Though yeah, seriously. Stop adding features and start adding story/setting dudes. At least, eventually.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Is there a way to make pirates and bandits soldiers for your own army? I've lost 5 good men to those idiots and I want more than a couple dinars for them.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007

And that is just fine.

Though yeah, seriously. Stop adding features and start adding story/setting dudes. At least, eventually.

What's wrong with you people? This forum as threads on Dwarf Fortress stories and that Space Station 13 stories, and this game is basically the same thing, only using a different setting. A story would ruin the game, because that would mean it would end at some point!

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    eobet wrote: »

You go from a lone dude picking fights, to a band of warriors who can fucking pillage and burn down villages, to the leader of an army who can conquer and control them and make them grow! How's that for progression?

I guess you don't like Sim City either, because this is like Sim Crusade or something.

Your idea isn't even a proper idea! It's what you get when you buy a story driven game in the store and play it to the end, and then it rots on your bookshelf. This is an ongoing (hopefully never ending) evolution, which will only encompass more and more features and detail to flesh out the world.

Do you patronise everyone who doesn't like whatever low rent indie game you choose to champion?

Tube on
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Do you patronise everyone who doesn't like whatever low rent indie game you choose to champion?
    He's got a point though. This is a 22 dollar game. It is continually expanded with new content and features. Already, the core of it, the combat is fantastic. Trampling people and lancing the weak just can make a great day.
    On the other hand, nothing is worse than want to pillage or plunder or do something new, only to find that that content is only PARTLY written by the devs.
    While I am only 20 hours into M&B, I don't think it needs a storyline for a long time. Kinda like my experience with Morrowind. Who cares if I never touch the main plot for a hundred hours! :)
    In conclusion, I sit in the middle, more content is great, other stuff completed is also great.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hamju wrote: »
    Oh God fuck shit a new one no... I actually just started this again with my current version (which is .7something) and in a few days I got two characters up to about level 25 or so. But if I update, all that work is wasted, right? Or is there some way to use them again?

Old characters CAN be imported into the game. You need to find the EXPORT character option. Then go into the new version and IMPORT.
    Supposedly, most versions are fine with this, but you will have a fat zero in Engineering.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

And that is just fine.

What's wrong with you people? This forum as threads on Dwarf Fortress stories and that Space Station 13 stories, and this game is basically the same thing, only using a different setting. A story would ruin the game, because that would mean it would end at some point!
    This game is low on content, it needs more whether it be attempting to provide enough so that the game starts generating its own stories (like Dwarf Fortress) or to give it a decent plot so that the player has a sense of motivation. Not wanting a game to better just so you can be all "indie" about it is really lame.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Bouncing_SoulBouncing_Soul Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Are the ragdoll physics as awesome as I'm hoping they will be?

I haven't played the game in a while but now I can't wait to get out of work and download the update to send bodies into the ground with a lance.

Bouncing_Soul on
    Umlauf.gif
    Buy some useless stuff at my Cafepress site!
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If by awesome you mean barely noticeable, yes.

It seems about the same as always when you charge your horse into someone.

It's generally a very cool update, though.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Not wanting a game to better just so you can be all "indie" about it is really lame.

WTF does indie have to do with anything? What was the story in Sim City or Pirates! I ask you?

eobet on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Is there a way to make pirates and bandits soldiers for your own army? I've lost 5 good men to those idiots and I want more than a couple dinars for them.

If you knock them out with blunt weapons during the fight and take them prisoner, you can offer to have them join your army from one of the buttons at the bottom of the screen while on the world map. You won't be able to get all the people you have prisoner as soldiers, and you may lose half or more of the people who do join you that night if they decide to run away. You also take a fair morale hit for allowing enemies to join your party, but that usually won't hurt you.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    WTF does indie have to do with anything? What was the story in Sim City or Pirates! I ask you?
    Welll, if not story, then better gameplay on the grand scale. As it is, there's not a ton of reason to do anything but the arena fights. Also, AI is crappy enough that you aren't really going to ever be fighting off a horse ever, because you're being swarmed by people and your allies suck.

It's a super-fun game, but I'd rather see a decently complete implementation of "kill peasants, get more powerful, make army, rule world" than ragdolls.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I would personally love if this game got picked up by a major publisher who would inject money and team members and bring it up to AAA current release standards. Its just too good of a concept to ignore.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I like how everyone is bitching about ragdolls when it's the most ridiculously insignificant thing added in the latest version.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Pictchars! (hueg)
    mb1uf4.jpg

mb2ud5.jpg

I love battle sizer, it makes it so much more epic. This is probably the max that my computer can comfortable handle on max settings, 300 soldiers. (you can probably see only around half of them in these shots, large battles have a tendency to spread out)

Shurakai on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Berserk mod.

NOW.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I wish Man Hunters weren't so squishy.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Not wanting a game to better just so you can be all "indie" about it is really lame.

Sim City and Pirates! were both complete games. Mount and Blade is half finished and has been for a ridiculous amount of time. There isn't nearly as much to do in M&B as in Sim City, your argument is absurd and you should definitely kill yourself.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Sim City and Pirates! were both complete games. Mount and Blade is half finished and has been for a ridiculous amount of time. There isn't nearly as much to do in M&B as in Sim City, your argument is absurd and you should definitely kill yourself.

So wait, you think 2 people should have been able to complete this game faster?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png