Options

Mount&Blade .890 Is Out! "Charge!"

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited September 2007
    eobet wrote: »
    Do you patronise everyone who doesn't like whatever low rent indie game you choose to champion?
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Not wanting a game to better just so you can be all "indie" about it is really lame.

WTF does indie have to do with anything? What was the story in Sim City or Pirates! I ask you?

Sim City and Pirates! were both complete games. Mount and Blade is half finished and has been for a ridiculous amount of time. There isn't nearly as much to do in M&B as in Sim City, your argument is absurd and you should definitely kill yourself.

So wait, you think 2 people should have been able to complete this game faster?

I think if they feature locked the damn thing they'd finish it a lot faster.

Tube on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've gotta go with yeah, it should be done.

Shareware has previously been produced, sometimes by one person. It's possible, they just need to decide what features they want and stop adding new ones.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've gotten more enjoyment from this unfinished indie game than I have from most AAA titles. They can add features until the end of time and I'll keep playing every new version.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    At least its at .890, so they are almost there. I am guessing the have a general Idea about what they want the finished game to be, though more features are always welcome in my eyes.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    RavenlockRavenlock Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Oh man, oh man. I have to work tomorrow. This is not good. :shock:

Personally, the way I see it I've already MORE than gotten my $11 worth (that's what it cost back when I bought it at version 0.6-something) from Mount & Blade. Every new version has added awesome things, and I have a great time jumping back in every time.

I really like that they haven't feature-locked it and pushed it through to release yet; they're such a creative team that I want them to put as much awesome into this product as they can before it goes out the door.

Downloading now and really looking forward to the larger battle sizes and ragdoll physics. Even if it never gets a plot, it may be the best medieval combat simulator of all time, and just as a sandbox combat game it keeps me entertained for hours every time they update it. That alone earns them my money. :^::^: Mount and Blade.

Ravenlock on
    Steam ID: Ravenlock
    XBL / GFWL Gamertag: Ravenlock80
    Wii System Code: 3019 1654 2730 1955
    <Whore> Listen to me rant on the Immortal Machines PC Gaming Podcast! </Whore>
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think they've done a really good job, and I've enjoyed watching it evolve and become more complex. I'm sure if they buckled down and had a list of features they could hammer it out faster, but I have no problems with the way it is being handled.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Grislo wrote: »
    If by awesome you mean barely noticeable, yes.

It seems about the same as always when you charge your horse into someone.

It's generally a very cool update, though.

I'm told via the forums that you need to turn on "Unlimited Ragdolls" in the main menu to get the effects. Since I'm still downloading, have no idea whether it really does make for more awesome or not, but thought I would mention in case you or someone else hadn't known.

Ravenlock on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The main problem with ragdolls is they don't seem to take the hit that killed them into consideration, so they just collapse instead of flying back or whatever.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You probably get the most mileage out of them in a siege battle, anyway.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The main problem with ragdolls is they don't seem to take the hit that killed them into consideration, so they just collapse instead of flying back or whatever.

Having played a bit now, I agree. The ragdoll collapse is nice and certainly better than the old "tilt backwards", but it's nowhere near as satisfying as if the final strike sent the enemy reeling. Watching the sword pass through them and then seeing the ragdoll collapse is a strange and not quite appropriate combination.

Ravenlock on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm guessing the fastest way to expand your forces with good troops is to go tavern hopping and hire whomever?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    JamsqueJamsque Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Tavern hopping is good, the other way is to get a fief, which you will be able to recruit from. Getting a fief is slightly bugged, though, so watch out. If you declare your loyalty to a faction, you can't then get a village fief (you can still get a castle fief if you conquer one and the king gifts it to you, but castle fief management is not implemented yet so there is no point). To get a village fief you have to get 100 renown and then wait around a bit, and eventually (it happened after a day or so for me) one of the kings will offer you a fief. You then get a little village all of your own that you can collect taxes and recruit and buy cheap food from.

Jamsque on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If you select the "noble" starting option you pretty much start getting offers around the first day or so.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    eobet wrote: »
    Do you patronise everyone who doesn't like whatever low rent indie game you choose to champion?
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Not wanting a game to better just so you can be all "indie" about it is really lame.

WTF does indie have to do with anything? What was the story in Sim City or Pirates! I ask you?

Sim City and Pirates! were both complete games. Mount and Blade is half finished and has been for a ridiculous amount of time. There isn't nearly as much to do in M&B as in Sim City, your argument is absurd and you should definitely kill yourself.

So wait, you think 2 people should have been able to complete this game faster?

I think if they feature locked the damn thing they'd finish it a lot faster.

Why does a game like this have to be finished?

If they finish it, this is it. Done. Small time indie game. If they don't, then perhaps in a few years time, we'll have... for example, every individual blade of grass rendered to the horizon, or NPC and PC who age and have offspring, perhaps even multiplayer support, who knows?

Why do you want to end it?

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    You are insane.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    What an amazingly persuasive arguement.

Seriously, though. This is probably the most mileage that I have ever gotten out of $15.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Who said it was supposed to be a persuasive argument? I'm just stating that I'm not going to continue debate with someone who is patently unhinged.

Tube on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So, is there any disadvantage to having your fiefdom sacked?

Sceptre on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I saved my code on a file that was on a HDD that was destroyed. I changed my email address since I bout the game. FUCK.

Couscous on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Sceptre wrote: »

It can't do anything until it's repaired itself I think

Plus it's the medieval equivilant of another lord walking up and pissing on your foot, seriously you gonna take that from that swadian dipshit

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Olivaw wrote: »

Plus it's the medieval equivilant of another lord walking up and pissing on your foot, seriously you gonna take that from that swadian dipshit
    Seriously, find the fucker, sack his fief, then wait till he's in the middle of a fight with a random caravan and join in and wreck his shit.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

The proper response is to destroy his army (capturing and selling them as slaves for that extra punch) and then sack his town in return.

Arrath on
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Arrath wrote: »

The proper response is to destroy his army (capturing and selling them as slaves for that extra punch) and then sack his town in return.

Don't forget the rape of his anus. I believe that the pope grants dispensation following a sacking.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Come on, Swadia. Offer me a fiefdom, you bastards.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    i havent played m&b in forever...

but i honestly think this release may make me go "hey guys, no im not up for halo 3 tonight..." a few times next week...

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    RaereRaere Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Are there any mods to update the graphics at all? It's kind of a turn off for me...

Raere on
    Raere.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Raere wrote: »
    Are there any mods to update the graphics at all? It's kind of a turn off for me...

Man, I hope you don't try to play Dwarf Fortress.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    yeah there's a mod called the Stop Being A Princess mod. It's really good, and free too.

So this release is pretty good. Trading still a bit fucked, and fiefs don't really do much, but it's cool. You'd have to play hundreds of hours to be high enough level to really fuck anyone up though.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    You'd have to play hundreds of hours to be high enough level to really fuck anyone up though.

Which is why I am seriously having trouble getting anything done around here. Damn you school!

Sceptre on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I really, really, really like this version.

But damn do they need a patch post-haste.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I love the shit out of this game.

I really would like to see a big budget game with mounted combat. I heard about that two worlds shit or something but I also heard it's glitchy and terrible.

So it's Mount and Blade.

Native mod is pretty barren.

Last Days (LotR) is great though.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Does anyone else have the problem where the Zendar Armor trader is stuck on top of a roof?

Sceptre on
  • Options
    Trevor GoodchildTrevor Goodchild Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Does anyone else have the problem where the Zendar Armor trader is stuck on top of a roof?

Yes. This is a great version, but I've ran into some bugs that keep me from being able to play any farther really. There are a couple different troop types I have, that I cannot upgrade beyond like Teir 2, or it crashes every time. I play the swadian faction.

Trevor Goodchild on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I really, really, really like this version.

But damn do they need a patch post-haste.

Is it crashing for you, too? D:

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    M&B is one of the few games I have where cheating my ass off does not diminish the fun. In fact, I dare say it becomes more fun when I'm an unstoppable peasant-slaughtering machine.

For those of you who get crashes while upgrading units, you can avoid it by paying attention to how many units are eligible for upgrade, and only hitting the button that many times. The crash happens because the game forgets to ghost out the upgrade button after there's no more troops to be upgraded. You push it then, and it crashes.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It's crashing for me when I come out of battles.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    RazzleDazzRazzleDazz Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This game is a blast. Playing through with a combat focused dude named Sandor. Running down peasants with a two handed axe from on high is wholesome fun. Are there only those 5 or so "NPC"s you can recruit from taverns? I have Rolf, who is lvl 29 or so, but still gets owned by river pirates.

RazzleDazz on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Rolf is extremely crappy for his level. His skills are way too low. I have him around 35 now and he's okay.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    JamsqueJamsque Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I don't think Rolf is supposed to be that high level, hopefully he'll be lowered to something more befitting his skills in the next patch. And yes, there are three other NPC heroes you can recruit, called Ymira, Marnid and Borcha. They appear randomly in taverns. I've got three of the four now, they are my heavily armoured elite guard. They are very useful as a kamikaze squad just to slightly wear down and scatter enemy forces, because they cannot die.

Jamsque on
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    rolf does have some high weapon skills at least. give him a nice 2 hander that befits his strength, like a double-sided battle axe, and he'll cut a motherfucker down with each swing

DiscoZombie on