Options

Let's play the SONIC THE HEDGEHOG series (Sonic CD: Wacky Workbench/GOT THEM ALL)

• Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    MKR wrote: »
    You spend about 15 seconds in water through all the sonics unless you're terrible at learning from mistakes. Most of the water you end up in is a trap; it's very easy to avoid.

Man, I love Aquatic Ruin water; sometime I just jump in right away at Act 2, even though you can go through there in like a minute if you take the upper path. Chemical Plant 'water' can go to hell, especially the jumping puzzle in Act 2.
    There's a shortcut that lets you skip that part.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm pretty sure you can stay dry in Aquatic ruin act 2 if you can jump across the pillars underneath the swinging platforms at the start

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm pretty excited, because I'm about to start encoding and uploading Scrap Brain Zone, which means I can finish with my recording of Sonic 1 and finally get to play through Sonic CD.

Sonic CD is my favorite sonic game. Any requests for Euro or US soundtracks?

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    I have never played Sonic CD. Now, I have SEEN someone play it, which makes it all the worse because it looked like Sonic the Hedgehog with more fun injected.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Finally got Star Light Zone uploaded. I'm messing around with google subtitles to see if I can figure out how to caption these videos.

I'm also going to start adding other videos that go along with the current game I'm playing, like ads or interviews.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Wait there's a way to get to the upper level of Aquatic Ruins without Knuckles?

Easy. Don't fall down. :)

Don't you start the level off falling down?

I think you're thinking of Hydrocity Zone.

...Oh.
    Even in Hydrocity, you can get Tails to fly you over there if you're playing as Sonic and Tails or fly over there yourself as Tails. The only character who can't access that part of the level is Sonic by himself.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The levels that aren't Marble Zone look kind of fun. Pity I'll probably never play any of them.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    The levels that aren't Marble Zone look kind of fun. Pity I'll probably never play any of them.

Why not?

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Why not?

Marble Zone.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Why not?

Marble Zone.

up, down, left, right, A+Start.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I have the Sonic CD PC version, but even if I use a crack to make it work on XP, the resolution is still about a half inch x 12nm. :(

MKR on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Why not?

Marble Zone.

up, down, left, right, A+Start.

Neat.

Heh, just managed to immediately game over myself in Spring Yard Zone.

jothki on
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Being an owner of The Master System, I never owned the Megadrive versions. Until now that is. I'm working through it now on the Wii, and have just, finally, finished Marble Zone. As such I'm lagging a little.

It's a superb game, but I still say it is very lacking when compared to The Master System version.

I would have bought the Mega Collection for the Xbox but it's Dpad is horrible, and I'ld much rather use the Wii's remote or CC. However I've just ordered the xbox version of this:
    my.php?image=18475846mw3.jpg

And assuming it's any good the mega collection will be mine.

I'ld pick up the other sonic collection too, but I can't believe they've used the inferior gamegear versions of the The Master System versions.

Lave II on
  • Options
    BantryBantry Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You spend about 15 seconds in water through all the sonics unless you're terrible at learning from mistakes. Most of the water you end up in is a trap; it's very easy to avoid.

That is a filthy, filthy lie.

Labyrinth zone requires you to spend at least half your time underwater.

Bantry on
  • Options
    KesterKester Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm pretty excited, because I'm about to start encoding and uploading Scrap Brain Zone

Awesome, Scrap Brain is my favourite Sonic 1 zone, the aesthetics are great. What's the deal with Labyrinth Zone redux for Act 3 though; was it a deliberate design decision or is there an interesting story behind it?

Also, I am in awe of your Labyrinth Zone run-through, that zone fills me with terror. You are the only person I have seen who is capable of not freaking out at the drowning music and just running into a wall or something!

Kester on
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Arg I can never get all the Emeralds, I always end up getting like 5 or 6.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Bantry wrote: »

That is a filthy, filthy lie.

Labyrinth zone requires you to spend at least half your time underwater.

I see Labyrinth Zone as an exercise for masochists. <3 level select.

MKR on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm pretty excited, because I'm about to start encoding and uploading Scrap Brain Zone, which means I can finish with my recording of Sonic 1 and finally get to play through Sonic CD.
    Yay! One I own, so I can follow along now. Wait. Nooo! Why the heck did I not bring the disk with me to college?
    Sonic CD is my favorite sonic game. Any requests for Euro or US soundtracks?
    I've heard the US soundtrack a ton. Go Euro!

Frem on
  • Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Finishing Act 1 of Star Light Zone running backwards is pretty smooth.

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    MetaHybrid wrote: »
    Finishing Act 1 of Star Light Zone running backwards is pretty smooth.

Yeah, that's one of those little tricks I do every time I play the game. Habits I picked up from when I was 6 or 7 years old.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Why do you run back and forth really quickly while on moving platforms waiting for the next jump?

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Pata wrote: »
    Why do you run back and forth really quickly while on moving platforms waiting for the next jump?

Because standing still is boring.

EDIT: And that's not a smart-ass answer.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    That answer doesn't surprise me.

Pata on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    That answer doesn't surprise me.

Ha, why not?

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Well because that just fits with what I imagine the thought process of a Sonic fan like you would have. :P

Pata on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Well because that just fits with what I imagine the thought process of a Sonic fan like you would have. :P

Mild ADHD?

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    There are a few times that I do it for momentum, though. Like in Marble Zone, I do it a couple of times to get my timing down before a big jump.

But for the most part it's just to pass the time. Sitting still on a moving platform is very slow and dull.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »

Mild ADHD?

Man, I'm also a programmer. Sitting down, programming for 17 hours straight... safe to say I don't have ADHD.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    There are a few times that I do it for momentum, though. Like in Marble Zone, I do it a couple of times to get my timing down before a big jump.

But for the most part it's just to pass the time. Sitting still on a moving platform is very slow and dull.

I usually duck in time to the beat of the BGM. :P

Pata on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

I usually duck in time to the beat of the BGM. :P

Take a closer look at how I bob back and forth :wink:

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Oh hahahahaha.

Pata on
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I had actually assumed that you were moving back and fourth to avoid having to accelerate from a full stop, like a fighter bouncing on the balls of his feet. I've never done it myself, but it makes sense that it would have a beneficial effect.

I've gotta say, when watching the movies, I can't help but think that this is how the character of Sonic would play his own games. And not the later, "extreme" Sonic, but the old one, the one who shakes his finger at you on the title screen. He doesn't freak out about getting every ring or crossing the level with the greatest possible speed, but simply gets through the level with a sense of effortless confidence- he doesn't waste any time, and he has a good time doing it.

Definitely enjoying these.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Tarantio wrote: »
    I've gotta say, when watching the movies, I can't help but think that this is how the character of Sonic would play his own games. And not the later, "extreme" Sonic, but the old one, the one who shakes his finger at you on the title screen. He doesn't freak out about getting every ring or crossing the level with the greatest possible speed, but simply gets through the level with a sense of effortless confidence- he doesn't waste any time, and he has a good time doing it.

This idea reminds me of the Sonic CD opening cinematic.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    EliteLamer wrote: »
    Arg I can never get all the Emeralds, I always end up getting like 5 or 6.

That's convenient, because there're only 6 emeralds in Sonic 1 :D .

I'm not sure if I ever took the time to collect them all in Sonic 2, but I was relatively good at 3/S&K (Hyper Sonic is awesome, despite the game-breaking, at first it's all "man, I've gotta collect them again!?" Then you finally do and it's "man, he's going so fast there's 3 of him"). Sonic CD was a bit hit or miss in the bonus stages whether I'd win or not, but I did beat that with all the emeralds.

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I'v never gotten every emerald in a Sonic game ever (excluding the mandatory ones like the Sonic Adventures) and I probably never will and I'v been playing the Sonic games since Sonic 1 came out.

I despise special stages with a firey passion.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I like the Sonic 3 bonus stages, the whole 'get extra stuff that helps you' seemed kind of 'Mushroom House' from Mario 3 to me (it's a stretch)...I always hated the magnetic spheres one, but the other two were quick and easy cool things to break up the other platforming.

That special stages in Sonic 3 can make you nauseous after a while when they're running at top speed and you're frantically looking for that last blue sphere.

I always found Sonic 1's kind of soothing and fun to play, even if you lose. Except sometimes, when they just spin too fast :D .

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I can get Super Sonic incredibly fast in Sonic 2. Plenty of checkpoints to hit up.

The handheld (Nintendo, not Sega ones) Sonics had either A) Stupid hard hiding spots for Special Zones or B) Stupid hard Special Zones.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I can get Super Sonic incredibly fast in Sonic 2. Plenty of checkpoints to hit up.

The handheld (Nintendo, not Sega ones) Sonics had either A) Stupid hard hiding spots for Special Zones or B) Stupid hard Special Zones.

Skydiving for rings with a D-pad in a crappy 3d engine can go suck a hot monkey cock.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

Skydiving for rings with a D-pad in a crappy 3d engine can go suck a hot monkey cock.
    That was Sonic Advance 1, yes?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Scrap Brain zone uploaded. And thus finishes sonic 1.

TheSonicRetard on