As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Racism in America

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yes a personal anecdote about one incident is an entire geographic region, thank you Mcdermott.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yes a personal anecdote about one incident is an entire geographic region, thank you Mcdermott.

Why yes. Just a single personal anecdote. Combined with well documented incident(s) in Jena, and now another down the road as well. And I'm sure if we started digging we could find some more, too.

Are you arguing that northern Louisiana isn't a racist shithole, or just that my personal anecdote isn't part of this larger trend?

mcdermott on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Zahaladeen wrote: »
    Well it's been a a few years since I was in high school, but when we had fights IE: brawls, mass PVP, etc, people got suspended for a few days. People got some bruises, a fat lip, etc.

I'm not saying we should be lenient to people who break the law, nor should we capitulate the rule of law when people gather in mass protest in an effort to appease them. But we should, at the very least, consider equality and fairness when considering sentencing that will have lifetime repercussions for juveniles.

If they would have put the white cunt in a coma, broken his legs, punctured a lung, or fucking brained him then yes, prosecute to the fullest extent of the law.

Here's an interesting thought though: these six black youths beating the shit out of a white kid...how is this not a hate crime?

Did...did you just use PVP to describe an actual, real life fight?

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    ZahaladeenZahaladeen Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Well it's been a a few years since I was in high school, but when we had fights IE: brawls, mass PVP, etc, people got suspended for a few days. People got some bruises, a fat lip, etc.

I'm not saying we should be lenient to people who break the law, nor should we capitulate the rule of law when people gather in mass protest in an effort to appease them. But we should, at the very least, consider equality and fairness when considering sentencing that will have lifetime repercussions for juveniles.

If they would have put the white cunt in a coma, broken his legs, punctured a lung, or fucking brained him then yes, prosecute to the fullest extent of the law.

Here's an interesting thought though: these six black youths beating the shit out of a white kid...how is this not a hate crime?

Did...did you just use PVP to describe an actual, real life fight?

Sorry, I'm English which makes me to cheeky sometimes. What I meant to say was, "Dude it was a fucking BRAWL, son!"

Zahaladeen on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    VBakes wrote: »
    Can you prove it was because he was white?

Evidently, the 17 year old white kid Justin Baker was talking trash about one of the kids who would eventually kick his ass later that day. Baker made comments about how Robert Bailey Jr., a black juvinile, was beaten up by a white fellow earlier in the week.

I'm not saying that is should be a hate crime, I'm just wondering why it's not.
    For the same reason that me shooting the guy sleeping with my wife isn't a hate crime.

If the intent had been to scare all the white people in town into line, and let them know "better not be out after dark, whitey," it would be a hate crime. I think it's pretty clear that the intent in this case was just to beat down an asshole who was talking shit.

As for a concussion being "serious," yeah, it can be, but if he was at a school function later that night, clearly it wasn't a bad one. And what about the people who hung up the nooses on a tree, or the white kid who brandished a fucking gun? Why aren't they being charged with anything?

And I don't think anyone here is arguing that the Jena 6 should get off scott free; however, the provocations of the other people involved should most definitely be taken into account as a mitigating factor. If I'm yelling racial slurs at a guy, and he beats me up, it's treated differently than if he just ran up behind me and clocked me for no reason, even if he does the same amount of damage.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    mcdermott wrote: »

Why yes. Just a single personal anecdote. Combined with well documented incident(s) in Jena, and now another down the road as well. And I'm sure if we started digging we could find some more, too.

Are you arguing that northern Louisiana isn't a racist shithole, or just that my personal anecdote isn't part of this larger trend?

I don't know I haven't been there, but unless two towns make up the entire area I don't think that these incidents are enough to say "hey man if you came from nothern louisianna you are most likely a rascist". It just comes off as I dunno prejudicial? Isn't that a bad thing to judge a group of people without knowing them?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Pants ManPants Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

i think he's arguing that anecdotal evidence is basically bullshit.

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • Options
    edited September 2007

For fuck's sake, we're talking about a state where one of the biggest unrepentant racists in the country--a Grand Wizard of the fucking Ku Klux Klan--missed getting elected governor by 6%. In 1990. He pulled in sixty percent of the white vote. How you can even imply the possiblity that there isn't a massive amount of racism in Louisiana is beyond comprehension.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I don't know I haven't been there, but unless two towns make up the entire area I don't think that these incidents are enough to say "hey man if you came from nothern louisianna you are most likely a rascist". I just comes off as I dunno prejudicial? Isn't that a bad thing to judge a group of people without knowing them?

Three towns, now, including my anecdote.

Also, I'm not making the claim that every person in northern LA, or who has ever lived there, is a racist. If I said that, it would be prejudicial. But I don't think that at this point claiming that there might just be a fuckload of virulently racist fuckwads in northern LA isn't necessarily controversial.

EDIT: And yes, anecdotal evidence is generally bullshit. Especially on its own. But again, I'm thinking that perhaps my anecdote really is part of a larger trend. Especially now that we include Than's post. I'll ask again, who here is making the claim that northern Louisiana isn't a racist shithole?

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Ok so not everyone, just most of them right? Are we talking black or white mcdermott? So if say a white guy said he was from Northen Louisianna would you assume he was a rascist?

I am not saying what is going on isn't bullshit. I just don't like the prejudice used in response as if that is justified. Nietzsche had a quote that applies here.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Ok so not everyone, just most of them right? Are we talking black or white mcdermott? So if say a white guy said he was from Northen Louisianna would you assume he was a rascist?

I am not saying what is going on isn't bullshit. I just don't like the prejudice used in response as if that is justified. Nietzsche had a quote that applies here.
    o_O

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Thinatos wrote: »

o_O
    O_o
    No. I'd just assume that he came from a racist shithole. Any individual might not be racist, and rather than make the assumption I'd just wait a short time to figure it out. It probably wouldn't take long to become apparent...as my anecdote might suggest (but certainly not prove, for you nitpicking "anecdotal OLOL" types), they aren't exactly shy about the racism down there.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Elki wrote: »
    Doc wrote: »
    Doc wrote: »
    When someone claims that the Jena Six could have killed the guy, how exactly are they attempting to qualify the statment? At what point would such a claim be warranted?
    "Six guys beating the shit out of one guy" seems to warrant the claim.

How does the fact that there are six of them show intent to murder?

Alone, it'd be assault/battery, or even self-defense. But 6 on one, there's really no possible way to take that other than "trying to kill him".

Maybe if you're retarded.

Maybe?

"Maybe" because even most retards could probably figure it out.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Well I am just getting tired of the prevalent attitude as of late that it's ok to be prejudicial about people from the south because "Well bad shit has happened down there and they are a bunch of drunk sister fuckers". Two towns does not make up an entire area. I wouldn't say Washington state is rascist, but I have been to some places east of the mountains that made me ashamed to hear the shit people would spout.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Well I am just getting tired of the prevalent attitude as of late that it's ok to be prejudicial about people from the south because "Well bad shit has happened down there and they are a bunch of drunk sister fuckers". Two towns does not make up an entire area. I wouldn't say Washington state is rascist, but I have been to some places east of the mountains that made me ashamed to hear the shit people would spout.
    Yeah, I just don't know where people get these ideas about the South.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Hey, like I said I won't assume anything...there's a difference between prejudice and facing reality. I'll not assume you're a racist sister-fucker because you're from the South. But I will assume you came from a place full of drunk sister-fuckers...because at that point you did.

And I'll repeat: three towns, including my anecdote. And given the results of that election that Than gave, it's probably not localized to those three towns, either. Or do you not consider that part of the trend, either?

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I could point out any number of rap videos, entire genres of film and books that correlate to a perception of black people. Are you saying that's any better? Negative sterotypes are still just stereotypes. Not everyone from the south is a prejudicial jerkwad. Not every black guy is a gangsta. We are all just fucking people.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I could point out any number of rap videos, entire genres of film and books that correlate to a perception of black people. Are you saying that's any better? Negative sterotypes are still just stereotypes. Not everyone from the south is a prejudicial jerkwad. Not every black guy is a gangsta. We are all just fucking people.

Except that I've met plenty of black people that are nothing like what you see in rap videos. Yet I've never been to a South that wasn't...well, the South.

And yes, I've been to the South outside of that one experience in Louisiana.

Which is why I generalize about the region, not every individual person in the region.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Preacher, really, we're getting off on a tangent here, and unless you can provide some pretty substantial counter-evidence, I don't think there's really an argument as to whether or not many white people in Louisiana are horribly racist, very possibly a majority of white people, and almost certainly most of the white people who are attracted to police work.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yeah I apologize for the tangent, I just don't like prejudice in any form against any group. In respect for the topic at hand I'll bow out.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    QuazarQuazar Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Atlanta's not bad.

Then again, if you're a racist in Atlanta, you have a death wish.

Anyway, it was like that back when I lived in Mississippi (when I was a kid). People threw the N-word around like it was nothing. It was awful.

Quazar on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    atl7hahahazo7.png
    XBL: QuazarX
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/09/21/car.nooses/index.html
    Authorities in Alexandria, less than 40 miles southwest of Jena, arrested two people who were driving a red pickup Thursday night with two nooses hanging off the back, repeatedly passing groups of demonstrators who were waiting for buses back to their home states.

The marchers had taken part in the huge protests in Jena that accused authorities there of injustice in the handling of racially charged cases -- including the hanging of nooses in a tree after a group of black students sat in an area where traditionally only white students sat.

The driver of the red truck, whom Alexandria police identified as Jeremiah Munsen, 18, was charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor -- a reference to the 16-year-old passenger. Munsen also was charged with driving while intoxicated and inciting to riot, according to the police report.

As officials were questioning the driver, he said he had an unloaded rifle in the back of the truck, which police found. They also found a set of brass knuckles in a cup holder on the dashboard, the police report said. Watch cops respond to the dangling nooses »

The passenger told police he and his family are in the Ku Klux Klan and that he had KKK tattooed on his chest, the police report said. He also said that he tied the nooses and that the brass knuckles belonged to him, the report said.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    What's so racist about being in the ku klux klan? I mean, sure there are a lot of racists in it, but remember it's primarily a group to preserve culture. I don't know how you can make generalizations on someone just because they're in it.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Tarranon wrote: »
    What's so racist about being in the ku klux klan? I mean, sure there are a lot of racists in it, but remember it's primarily a group to preserve culture. I don't know how you can make generalizations on someone just because they're in it.

O_o

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Pharezon wrote: »

O_o

Sarcasm.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Pharezon wrote: »

O_o

Sarcasm.

Whoops I should have read that more closely. I guess I'm tired right now :(

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    LRGLRG Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So yeah, some of you might be interested in this little southren fried slice of shit

I hate to think that all it would take would be "a few too many" for people to turn into racists and put on a display like this. I wonder what all her supposed black friends think of this...

LRG on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    They're probably not surprised in the least. When you're black and live in the south, you tend to prepare yourself for the inevitable moment when a white acquaintance of yours shows how they really feel about race. It generally just keeps us from being more than casual acquaintances, since you always seem to be waiting for the other shoe to drop. Considering that I have more than a few white friends and co-workers, it's pretty annoying, but more often than not my reservations have been on point.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    They're probably not surprised in the least. When you're black and live in the south, you tend to prepare yourself for the inevitable moment when a white acquaintance of yours shows how they really feel about race. It generally just keeps us from being more than casual acquaintances, since you always seem to be waiting for the other shoe to drop. Considering that I have more than a few white friends and co-workers, it's pretty annoying, but more often than not my reservations have been on point.
    Man, that just sucks.

So my general question is why don't more black people try to move out of the South? I mean I know that there's some racism everywhere, but it's got to be better up North or out West (I mean outside LA and San Diego).

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Just to add my two cents:
    I live in Toronto, Canada. Toronto is a very non-racist area (generally speaking). The whole city is a melange of black, white, asian, whatever. No one cares what race you are (again, generally speaking).

The business I work with just opened a store in Nashville, and my boss invited the manager there up to Toronto for training and whatnot. Walking from the store to a restaurant for lunch, we (boss, Nashville manager, and I) passed a park, which had a bunch of local highschool kids hanging out in it. The Nashville manager said out loud, "Wow, look at all the n*****s!". My boss and I were pretty stunned...

On that note, I'm glad I live where I do!

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I dunno, I stay down here because I like living down here. The town I live in isn't huge, but it's mostly progressive, at least enough for me to ignore the good ol' boys and their ilk. The real trick to living in the south is to stick to the cities, which I can't imagine are too much worse than cities up north.

As for why black people in general stay down here, I figure it's probably the same reasons anyone stays down here; ties to the land, family roots, not knowing or wanting to take the chance on a new region where you have no ties. My family, as far back as we've traced it, goes back to post Reconstruction and has been in Texas since then. I'm sure I could make my way in a northern city, but almost my entire family lives in one southern state or another. It's just easier for me to stay in the Southeast so I can be close to both my and my wife's family. Opportunity isn't exactly lacking down here either, so I don't really have any economic incentives to get away.

Also, I know I said it applied to southern blacks, but I imagine what I said about our expectation of white people showing their true feelings about race almost certainly applies to black Americans in general.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Guys, it's ok. She has as many black friends as she does white friends. That makes it ok.

O_o

I wish I had friends who would allow me to be a racist douchebag.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Also, I know I said it applied to southern blacks, but I imagine what I said about our expectation of white people showing their true feelings about race almost certainly applies to black Americans in general.
    That's kind of the impression I get as well. The American-born black neighbors, co-workers and friends I've had tended to keep white people at a certain level of reserve or distance. It's not so much true with foreign-born blacks I've noticed - I currently work with a good number of Haitians and Dominicans, and have worked with Africans, and there's a somewhat different dynamic.

When I lived in the 'hood in DC and was pretty much the only white kid in the neighborhood I lived in, my neighbors were more open and accommodating, but I suspect it had to do with the fact that I was really solidly in their element and out of mine.

The way white and black people relate to each other in this country bothers me a lot, but god damned if I really know what to do about it, especially on a personal level.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    VBakesVBakes Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I have to say I agree with wwtMask, I personally took the everybody gets one approach. You can let n****r slip out of your mouth once, but after that Im gonna punch you in the face. On more than one occasion close friends of mine decided they were gonna put that to the test. And ended up on the ground. Call it extreme, but it gets the point across.

VBakes on
    Therman Murman?......Jesus.
  • Options
    LRGLRG Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The only thing I have that compares to that is one of my best friends who is white and has a problem with saying "n*gga". Mostly he'll censor himself when rapping along with a song and you almost feel bad for him, cause the rest of us don't have to and its kinda awkward for him to not say it with us. But sometimes he gets too drunk and lets it slip like, "I miss my n*gga, sam" usually while laying on the ground half passed out. I'll let it go a couple times, but after too many I gotta tell him that I don't care how drunk he is, I'll pop him if he says it again.

That there is pretty diffrent than covering yourself with mud and posing in some stereotypical black manner and taking pictures though.

But yeah, I do wonder about most white people though like, do they see me as some guy or some black guy, with all the negative baggage that comes with that?

LRG on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    It kinda depends with me on how close I'll get with a white friend. In your situation, Irond, you lived closely enough with black people (and far enough out of what would be perceived as your comfort zone) where they would seem really odd by not giving you the benefit of the doubt. I mentioned to my wife the other day about how hard it is to for a white person to earn a "hood pass" or to get a nickname like "White Chocolate", because they pretty much mean you've transcended that unmentioned barrier between the races. It's hard to get to that point, and even when you do, there's still the doubt in the back of everyone's mind that, if it comes down to making a choice between black and white, you'll choose white. For me, it's been a very long time since I've had a white friend that's been very close to the point that I could say they have a "pass" with me. The white friends I have now are comfortable enough to where we don't have to dance around race too much, but even then I know they're treading carefully in order to not be offensive.

VBakes, I'm not exactly gonna be punching anyone in the face, but I know what you're getting at. For me, I've yet to have a white friend that'd slip up like that. Not that it matters, seeing as I'm pretty up front about my intolerance for that sort of thing. Besides, I don't need someone to say the N word to tip me off towards their thoughts on race; most people give that sort of info away way before it ever gets to that.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »
    So my general question is why don't more black people try to move out of the South? I mean I know that there's some racism everywhere, but it's got to be better up North or out West (I mean outside LA and San Diego).

Except it really isn't. A good example of this is the massive fights over mandatory bussing in Boston. If you read up on sundown towns, you'll find that most of them weren't in the South.

Actually, in a way, the problems with racism are better in the South, because they're out in the open. In a lot of other areas, they're secrets that nobody wants to talk about.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    wwtmask, I'm trying to understand... do you think all white people in the south are racist?

I'm just trying to get to your point.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Except it really isn't. A good example of this is the massive fights over mandatory bussing in Boston. If you read up on sundown towns, you'll find that most of them weren't in the South.

Actually, in a way, the problems with racism are better in the South, because they're out in the open. In a lot of other areas, they're secrets that nobody wants to talk about.
    That's what everybody says (particularly people from the South), but I can't imagine one single white person here on the West Coast that would ever, even for a moment, put up photos on Facebook of people miming a racial attack in some kind of parodied black face unless they were intentionally doing it to provoke along racial lines. Nobody is that goddamn out of touch.

Now, there's some weird elements of racism that are much more open between whites v. Asians, and in particular whites v. Latinos, but as far as that deep-seated, generational, family bred and widely accepted hatred that seems to fester in the South, it just doesn't exist on the West Coast.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    celery77 wrote: »

That's what everybody says (particularly people from the South), but I can't imagine one single white person here on the West Coast that would ever, even for a moment, put up photos on Facebook of people miming a racial attack in some kind of parodied black face unless they were intentionally doing it to provoke along racial lines. Nobody is that goddamn out of touch.

Now, there's some weird elements of racism that are much more open between whites v. Asians, and in particular whites v. Latinos, but as far as that deep-seated, generational, family bred and widely accepted hatred that seems to fester in the South, it just doesn't exist on the West Coast.

To steal a line/idea from David Cross: segregated graveyards. It's like they are envisioning everyone rising for the zombie apocalypse and they still want to keep the colored people out.

Doc on