As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Employee Lounge] Yes, We Have No Bananas

EvanderEvander Disappointed FatherRegistered User regular
edited November 2007 in Games and Technology
Yeah, the title sucks, I'll change it if I get a better suggestion.

So, yeah, let's maek post.

Evander on

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    first

I love my job.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, my boss scheduled me on Tuesday and Wednesday.

No, I don't work at a video game store. But still.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I said it in the earlier thread, but it got burried.

I am a weekend only guy (I have an office job and classes during the week) but for some reason I don't even understand, I volunteered to work on Monday night.

10-1

Evander on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'd love to take tuesday off, but I stupidly took last monday off for when i first got the 360. And the fact that we are so very much short staffed would mean calling in is bad.

Like, really bad.

Veevee on
  • Options
    liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Unfortunately I can't get out of work at the midnight Halo launch... you see, I'm selling Halo, at the midnight launch.

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I need to ask a day off for the release of SSBB. :)

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Unfortunately I can't get out of work at the midnight Halo launch... you see, I'm selling Halo, at the midnight launch.

That was kinda the point of the question, this beingthe employee lounge, and all. ;-)

Evander on
  • Options
    liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Evander wrote: »

That was kinda the point of the question, this beingthe employee lounge, and all. ;-)

I know. I was being obvious. You fail.

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

You need to set up a TV and 360 at the store and from 11-12 open your copy of Halo and play it while everyone sits outside. :D

Then get out the riot gear.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007

I know. I was being obvious. You fail.

Naw, it's you who failed.

Sarcasm honestly works fine over the internet, but deadpan doesn't.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    ArcSyn wrote: »

You need to set up a TV and 360 at the store and from 11-12 open your copy of Halo and play it while everyone sits outside. :D

Then get out the riot gear.

We did that for Halo 2

Pretty much right after the store closed we hoped on the display machien for some multiplayer.

Evander on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    The gamestop in Council Bluffs, IA wanted to let everyone play H2 multiplayer while waiting for midnight H2 release, but apparently they were shot down by higher ups according to them.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    EngelNULEngelNUL Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    "I quit." Was mine.

Seems to have worked so far...

EngelNUL on
    Pokemanz Soul Silverz: 2837 2607 9912

"How pathetic, they must really want to die flying those Z-95 Headhunters"

"Historians exercise great power and some of them know it. They recreate the past, changing it to fit their own interpretations. Thus, they change the future as well." - Leto II
  • Options
    RohaqRohaq UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Just finished my last day of work today, brought in cakes for everybody.

I also bought a Transformer when I went to the store to get the cakes. Movie Bumblebee is a pain in the ass to transform, he looks awesome though! :D

Rohaq on
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My excuse is I'm no longer employed(Geek Squad/Bestbuy). I got fired for purchasing WIC a day before it was scheduled to come out(9/18/07). "wait don't you know what a street date is?" Yes I do, but when I mentioned I was getting the game the next day(my day off) to my boss(supervisor/manager) HE WENT INTO RECEIVING AND GOT IT OUT OF THE SHIPMENT BROUGHT IT OUT AND DID A TEST RING TO SEE IF IT WAS FLAGGED FOR A HARD RELEASE DATE. Upon no flag said it "probably wouldn't matter" if I got it THEN HANDED IT TO ME."Your a moron for trusting management" NO SHIT. Come in on my next day the operations manager calls into the admin office, sign this, your terminated, no prior warnings required. SONOFABITCHYOUMOTHERFUCKINGPUKESEPOSITINGPUPPYFLAYINGGODDAMNPIECESOFTAPEWORMSPUTUM! I have never missed a day in the over a year that I've worked there. I have never called in sick. I have been late 4 times. And what does my boss say? I never did anything of the kind! There's a reason for release dates! That is the closest I have ever been to murdering another human being in my life, and I work(ed) in tech support.

...I feel better now, thanks for letting me rant.

Shade on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Last day at work today so I'm officially a free man, until Monday when I begin my new job at an online electronics store, my job will be assembly and testing of computers. Good atmosphere, I know pretty much everyone at the workshop since I worked there 3 years ago and I get to buy components at sales price 8-)

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    switzky21switzky21 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    20041006.jpg

switzky21 on
  • Options
    InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If I have a problem with how a woman dresses at work, I just ask them to remove the offending articles immediately

It always works!!!
    I keed I keed

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    'Hi. Ill be taking 4 days off from the 26th to the 30th'

'Why'

'Halo 3 is out and I would much rather be playing that then working in this hellhole.'

'Yeah ok, just make sure you sign the form out front before you go'

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    RohaqRohaq UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »

'Why'

'Halo 3 is out and I would much rather be playing that then working in this hellhole.'

But.. you already have it :P

Rohaq on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I don't have to work the midnight launch!

But I won't get my copy of Halo 3 until like a week later D:

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Rohaq wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »

'Why'

But.. you already have it :P

Shhhh... Not if my ninjas completed their mission.

Veevee on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The project I'm working on is due on December 31, estimated actual completion on the 15th. I'm going to work some overtime in hopes of getting it done before december, so I can have all month to take off.
    And play Smash Brothers!

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yay new thread! What better way to start the fun than perhaps the most soul shattering experience in my 6 years workin in a Bank (the company acronym rhymes with MOO for the curious). This may not have much to do with working Halo launch parties, but damn does it have everything to do with customers who want to reveal their dirtiest darkest secrets over the course of business........

And I found I just had to chime in on this thread after seeing all that talk about direct deposits and bank transfers and whatnot.

Anyhow, working first as a Teller and then as a New Accounts Rep has you meet some...interesting people. (Substitute batshite loco in at will).

Perhaps my most memorable experience ocurred just a few weeks ago. I have to detail it out for it's epic ability to still make me cry like a little girly man at night....:cry:

Anyhow, it's the closure of a slow as sin day, I've accomplished selling about 2 checking accounts and my numbers are in the shitter, not exactly something to put me in the best of moods and I just want to finish closing up my station and go home. Suddenly my incredibly exhausting task of twiddling my thumbs for the last 5 minutes is interrupted by an utterly frazzled 40 something angry lady storming towards my desk. I'll call her "Crazy Lady" or CL for short.

CL: I have something wrong with my account and I want it fixed!!! (Said in most angry flustered tone possible)

Me: D: Sure thing! (Faking my most smarmy smile possible. Already my mind is mentally preparing for an arduous task of explaining something stupid like "no maam we're not going to reverse 350$ worth of Overdraft fees because you can't be bothered to balance your checkbook :x)

She then goes on in a roundabout way to start discussing the stresses of her job while I'm trying to explain what she needs to do. Another branch had flubbed something up so they needed to be contacted not us. Suddenly the conversation took a turn for the WTF.....(The following is not made up in any way, nor embellished, I'm not crazy enough to make this stuff up)

CL: Do you know where your mother is?

Me: O_o.....Uhhhhh yeah, she lives like right next to me....

CL: Aw that's so wondeful, I really don't live next to any family or friends or anything. I'm thinking of moving to Milwaukee to be closer to my son...

Me: That's wonderful...yeah...
    My Mind: I don't give a flying flahootie lady lets just finish up so we can finish this quickly -_-

CL: Yeah I'm not sure I should give it a shot, I mean he's all grown up and stuff. I have a feeling I'd just get in the way.

Me: Well you never know what may happen...

CL: Yeah he sleeps around alot, I've even slept with him a few times, it was magical......

Me: Uh...D:.....what....but...wait...O_o..............:shock:

At this point my mind was basically reduced to the climax scene in Das Boot: a bunch of pasty white german munchkins screaming in agony whilst their sub crushed in around them....

My Mind: Abandon sheeeeep abandon sheeep....we're down to monosyllabic responses capitan!!!

CL:.....yes *dreamily* he's like a young Willie Nelson.....

Then to further sweeten the deal, apparently the thought of incesteous relations with her full grown son was not enough to get her jollies rolling, so she withdrew some kind of vial from her purse and snorted some clear substance right in front of me shuddering with some sort of exstasy that has no place in a financial institution. Contrary to what those commericals have you believe we do rather frown on people dancing the cha-cha at securing a really sweet deal on a loan or CD, do it in the parking lot sure, but not inside here!

My Mind: *Commits mental seppuku*

I still look back on this event and shudder. There is just not enough mental bleach in the world for something like this...

Other notable events in my 6 year tenure here (You'd be surprised how crazy some people get when it comes to monies)

- I got called a "Dirty Filthy Jew" by some small old asian lady because I wouldn't do 4 transactions for her in the single transaction lane and we had over 15 people in line that day. :roll:

- My Security guard thought I was becoming an "Islamic Cleric" when I started growing out a beard.

- I once got threatened with extreme physical violence because I was apparently not working the express line fast enough. Or to quote the chap, "Don't make me do something that would land me in prison"

Protip! Threatening Bank employees is a great way to get your account closed faster than you can say oops! ;-)

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »
    So...stopped down to the Eaton's Centre today and put in an application with Indigo, though manager mentioned that my timeslot (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) seems to be what everyone picks and they currently have alot of students on staff, so that went :( Oh well, maybe they'll call me for Holiday Season or some other students mysteriously vanish >_> Also dropped one into the HMV just down the street and that seemed to go alot better. There's an Electronics Boutique (or 2) also in the mall that I'm considering, though having never worked in retail period, was wondering if EB's a good part-time job proposition?

you in victoria?

I think Toronto... at least, Eaton's Centre in TO has an Indigo, an HMV down the street, and a shitty EB in the basement. If I were working at an EB, I wouldn't choose that one. It's wall to wall 8-14 year old boys every time we go past it. And I mean literally wall to wall.

If it is indeed Toronto, you might think of going north a bit on the TTC to areas that aren't right next to two large universities. I bet the retail locations in the middle of 30SomethingWithKidsville will have more call for weekend workers. There's an EB and (even better) the Gamearama near Yonge and Eglington, f'rinstance.

Yea, I live in toronto, and head to U of T in fact for school, so am right downtown. Thanks for the warning on the EB there, I suppose I'll skip that one and look at those others (if I can find my away around the city).

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    eric.eric. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Aridhol wrote: »
    So...stopped down to the Eaton's Centre today and put in an application with Indigo, though manager mentioned that my timeslot (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) seems to be what everyone picks and they currently have alot of students on staff, so that went :( Oh well, maybe they'll call me for Holiday Season or some other students mysteriously vanish >_> Also dropped one into the HMV just down the street and that seemed to go alot better. There's an Electronics Boutique (or 2) also in the mall that I'm considering, though having never worked in retail period, was wondering if EB's a good part-time job proposition?

you in victoria?

I think Toronto... at least, Eaton's Centre in TO has an Indigo, an HMV down the street, and a shitty EB in the basement. If I were working at an EB, I wouldn't choose that one. It's wall to wall 8-14 year old boys every time we go past it. And I mean literally wall to wall.

If it is indeed Toronto, you might think of going north a bit on the TTC to areas that aren't right next to two large universities. I bet the retail locations in the middle of 30SomethingWithKidsville will have more call for weekend workers. There's an EB and (even better) the Gamearama near Yonge and Eglington, f'rinstance.

Yea, I live in toronto, and head to U of T in fact for school, so am right downtown. Thanks for the warning on the EB there, I suppose I'll skip that one and look at those others (if I can find my away around the city).

That EB Games in the Eaton Centre has less room in it then something I can't think of because I am not witty. But where SwashbucklerXX reccomended would probably be your best bet. I've applied to several stores in that mall for the weekend (I'm a student too), and yeah, they probably have apps for that timeslot by the hundredth.

eric. on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So i started a job as an IT guy this week...but the company had nothing for me to do..so they paid me 20$ an hour to carry empty cardboard boxes out to the recycling dumpster pretty much all day every day..hopefully they actually give me real work soon because man that sucked D: I never knew it was possible to hate cardboard this much

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    BioHaz594BioHaz594 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    As nice as it is to get paid decent money to do almost nothing, the boredom can really get to you. Years ago I was at a place testing products for a group of engineers, the last week they kept me on I literally had nothing to do. As long as I was at my little workstation, they didnt care what I did. So much time killed surfing the net and completing homework for some classes. The day one of the engineers had something for me to play with was when they finally decided that I wasnt needed anymore. The guy looked so sad when I said I was let go and he had the device ready for me to test. They were cool about letting me go, I knew it was going to happen soon, on my last day I was only there for about 2 hours and they paid me for a full 8hr day.
    A few weeks later after I already had another job, that engineering place called the agency and asked if I was available. I had to politely turn them down as I already had a better paying job, though I did consider going back... That place was fun and the people were cool.

BioHaz594 on
    orgblk_m50le_sig1.png
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Protip! Threatening Bank employees is a great way to get your account closed faster than you can say oops! ;-)
    I hope you waited until he was at the front of the line before telling him his account was going to be closed.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    I hope you waited until he was at the front of the line before telling him his account was going to be closed.

I would hope that Security would have had him out the front door by then.

KiTA on
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm working September 25th in the Wal-Mart electronics department from 2:30-10:30. I assume that everyone who wants Halo 3 will purchase it before I arrive and I'll have a normal, carefree shift, right? Right?

I'm not even from the Electronics Dept. I'm Stationary, dammit. I don't need this.

Taya on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    By the luck of the draw (or, like, requesting to have the day off...) I get Teusday off. It's going to be glorious.

...until I remind myself that I have an Inferential Statistics test the following morning and I have to work after college until 9:00.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I have to go to work in an hour... waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.
    I'm tired, and still in my PJs, at 2.20pm, and I DON'T WANT TO GO TO WORK TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!

On a brighter note, I'll get my Wii in a week or two. The Wii that I bought at launch, and have since played for just a week or two.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    KiTA wrote: »
    Malkor wrote: »

I would hope that Security would have had him out the front door by then.

Aye, I wish, alas in the essence of making sure no innocent bystanders get hurt and invoke lawsuitus dramaticus, we pretty much can't escort people out of the place until they're making a total cock of themselves.

Interesting followup to that lady that called me a dirty jew. The guy behind her actually heard her say it (she did say it kind of a huff and walked out and he made the most awesome oh daaaaaaamn face ever.

He then walked up to me and said "Damn N**ga! Do you like need to take 5 or something? Shit man Idda decked that Ch*nk up her face if she called me that!"

The irony in that is just delicious.....

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    Smacky The FrogSmacky The Frog Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I took off Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday for Halo.

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    On a brighter note, I'll get my Wii in a week or two. The Wii that I bought at launch, and have since played for just a week or two.

And how, pray tell, does that work?

Veevee on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Me - " I need 2 days off from Tuesday"
    My Manager - "Why?"
    Me- "Becausue a game I've been waiting 3 years for is coming out then and I need time to play it"
    My Manager "Halo 3?"
    Me - "Yeah"
    My Manager - "Ok, we'll swap Saturday and Sunday"
    Me - "Cheers"

As simple as that for me.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    supertallsupertall Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I love people that insult you, and then act surprised when you don't bend over backwards for them.

A guy wanted to buy a freezer at work, but only the display was left. I told him I'd knock 20$ off, 10%, since it had been out for about a week. Then he gets this sly look on his face and says

"Maybe for $40 off I'd take it..."
    "Sorry, that's as much as I"m allowed to do."
    "What are you, the last of the jews?"

I just turned and walked away. What did he expect? "Oh, you're right brother. I'll stick it to those bastards and give you a bigger discount. See you at the next aryan pride meeting."

TL;DR People are douchebags.

supertall on
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    so I was working on some things in the Educational supplies aisle when this rather large woman came down the aisle. I looked up and said "what can I help you with?"

customer: "pork"

me: "uh pardon?"

customer: "I'm looking for like pork chops, bacon, ham.....even just a pig"

several seconds go by then I realize she is talking about the children's stickers....

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    King KongKing Kong Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I had Monday Tuesday and Wednesday off, however I was paid a VERY large cash sum to work Tuesday morning so I am.

And yes I now I have a pic of myself next to a pyramid of Legendary editions, go me :)

King Kong on
This discussion has been closed.