As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Government and You

ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
edited September 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
So, my wife just filled out this survey and found out that she was eligible to apply for assistance from 20 different government programs. It was unexpected.

What benefits are you eligible for?

I'm about to take it myself. It's not that I plan on applying for any of these things, because I'm doing all right, but I'm curious because of the large number my wife qualified for.

Shinto on

Posts

  • ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Jesus, I qualify for applying to thirty-one programs.

    Shinto on
  • PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I like how they explain that your supposed to put down 5.
    Even better when they did it again.
    10 programs, which I'm pretty sure is the floor for this thing.

    Picardathon on
  • ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    "Have you ever been tortured?"

    No.

    Is there seriously a program for that?

    Shinto on
  • Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I got 7.

    edit: It looks like this thing is messed up. If you view the program details, you see why you're eligible. For instance,
    In order to qualify for this benefit program, you must be under the age of 22 years, live in a community with little or no health care services, and characterize your financial situation as low income or very low income .

    So why is it messed up? Because it appears to be using or instead of and, at least in my case.

    Marty81 on
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I got 5 programs, none of which I really qualify for. One was to help with my immigration status while I'm a natural born citizen. Another one was for college scholarships for high school seniors that excel academically. I'm 23 and out of college.

    Veevee on
  • TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    I got 29, most of them from military service. Only a few of which I am already using.

    TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I got 31, many from military service. And aside from the merit-based scholarships and a couple of the off-the-wall ones (which I likely don't even really qualify for, I'm using (or have used) most of them.

    I'm a total leech.

    EDIT: TDL are you still on active duty, or out now? Once you hit school make sure you milk the benefits for all they're worth...which, you'll find out, is a lot.

    mcdermott on
  • TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm currently in the Georgia Guard, actually. Which is nice, because Guard TA is completely covering all my school costs, meaning I get to pocket my GI bill payout. Or will, whenever the VA bothers to send it. At least they do back pay...

    EDIT: Shit, this reminds me, I need to go fill out the paperwork to get on Tricare. 81 bucks a month for full coverage with only a $50 annual deductible? Yes please.

    TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    lesko_nl_06.jpg

    LOOK AT ALL THIS FREE MONEY!!!!

    FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    TDL wrote: »
    I'm currently in the Georgia Guard, actually. Which is nice, because Guard TA is completely covering all my school costs, meaning I get to pocket my GI bill payout. Or will, whenever the VA bothers to send it. At least they do back pay...

    EDIT: Shit, this reminds me, I need to go fill out the paperwork to get on Tricare. 81 bucks a month for full coverage with only a $50 annual deductible? Yes please.

    Yeah, that's new. Tricare is only recently being offered to members of the Guard.

    I pocket a lot of my GI Bill, but a lot goes towards living expenses. My state only covers the federal minimum for TA, which is $4500 a year. Which doesn't even cover tuition at a public university...let alone fees.

    Still, $1750 a month (my current GI Bill+Army College Fund+Additional Contribution+Guard Kicker) goes a long way. ;-)

    EDIT: Also, double check...your insurance through school may actually be less, depending. For instance, my premiums are less through school, and there's no deductible for routine care through the student health center. But I still do Tricare Dental.

    mcdermott on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2007
    21.

    Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    mcdermott wrote: »
    TDL wrote: »
    I'm currently in the Georgia Guard, actually. Which is nice, because Guard TA is completely covering all my school costs, meaning I get to pocket my GI bill payout. Or will, whenever the VA bothers to send it. At least they do back pay...

    EDIT: Shit, this reminds me, I need to go fill out the paperwork to get on Tricare. 81 bucks a month for full coverage with only a $50 annual deductible? Yes please.

    Yeah, that's new. Tricare is only recently being offered to members of the Guard.

    I pocket a lot of my GI Bill, but a lot goes towards living expenses. My state only covers the federal minimum for TA, which is $4500 a year. Which doesn't even cover tuition at a public university...let alone fees.

    Still, $1750 a month (my current GI Bill+Army College Fund+Additional Contribution+Guard Kicker) goes a long way. ;-)

    EDIT: Also, double check...your insurance through school may actually be less, depending. For instance, my premiums are less through school, and there's no deductible for routine care through the student health center. But I still do Tricare Dental.

    Yeah, my best friend is basically living off the G.I. bill plus tutoring fees while he works on his degree.

    Shinto on
  • TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Sadly, I'm doing correspondence college, so no insurance for me. But, it's accredited and I can work on my own schedule, which is good as I work a full time job.

    And the Tricare deductible is annual, so I only pay it once, after that everything is covered. So 50 is nothing really.

    Right now I have no health care, which is bad.

    TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    What is your age? Example: 35

    Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    TDL wrote: »
    Right now I have no health care, which is bad.

    Yeah, us younger guys tend to do dumb shit like that.

    I also noticed there was no option for Iraq campaigns (other than the Gulf War), despite there being an option for campaigns in Afghanistan. Wonder what's up with that.

    mcdermott on
  • TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, I noticed that as well. I figured it would just have it's own section later, but no.

    EDIT: I also need to find out whether or not the SGLI still covers me 365 days a year, or just on drill status. I don't know shit about the Guard.

    TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    What's sad is that i'm too lazy to find this stuff on my own.

    Now that I have a link to a survey? I put it in my bookmarks with the thought that i'll check it later.

    So lazy.

    _J_ on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    TDL wrote: »
    Yeah, I noticed that as well. I figured it would just have it's own section later, but no.

    EDIT: I also need to find out whether or not the SGLI still covers me 365 days a year, or just on drill status. I don't know shit about the Guard.

    Google would suggest that it's year-round.

    Probably something I should have known without looking it up, considering how long I've been doing the Guard thing.

    mcdermott on
  • ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    _J_ wrote: »
    What's sad is that i'm too lazy to find this stuff on my own.

    Now that I have a link to a survey? I put it in my bookmarks with the thought that i'll check it later.

    So lazy.

    I'm told that government programs are there to cater to lazy folks like you and reinforce your dependency.

    Shinto on
  • TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Sweet, thanks.

    That's a good thing, because I have a bad habit of doing stupid things while not having medical coverage.

    TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Jinnigan wrote: »
    What is your age? Example: 35

    I giggled like a mad man.

    And man, fuck you commies and your state socialism. Make me sick.

    Duki on
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Shinto wrote: »
    _J_ wrote: »
    What's sad is that i'm too lazy to find this stuff on my own.

    Now that I have a link to a survey? I put it in my bookmarks with the thought that i'll check it later.

    So lazy.

    I'm told that government programs are there to cater to lazy folks like you and reinforce your dependency.

    If they won't fill out the forms themselves then they don't cater to me.

    _J_ on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    TDL wrote: »
    Sweet, thanks.

    That's a good thing, because I have a bad habit of doing stupid things while not having medical coverage.

    :lol:

    mcdermott on
  • ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    _J_ wrote: »
    Shinto wrote: »
    _J_ wrote: »
    What's sad is that i'm too lazy to find this stuff on my own.

    Now that I have a link to a survey? I put it in my bookmarks with the thought that i'll check it later.

    So lazy.

    I'm told that government programs are there to cater to lazy folks like you and reinforce your dependency.

    If they won't fill out the forms themselves then they don't cater to me.

    I blame society for your predicament, and am anxious to redouble government efforts to reach you with generous aid packages.

    Shinto on
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Shinto wrote: »
    _J_ wrote: »
    Shinto wrote: »
    _J_ wrote: »
    What's sad is that i'm too lazy to find this stuff on my own.

    Now that I have a link to a survey? I put it in my bookmarks with the thought that i'll check it later.

    So lazy.

    I'm told that government programs are there to cater to lazy folks like you and reinforce your dependency.

    If they won't fill out the forms themselves then they don't cater to me.

    I blame society for your predicament, and am anxious to redouble government efforts to reach you with generous aid packages.

    I shall agree and await my government to shower me with wealth.

    _J_ on
  • QuazarQuazar Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I got 9.

    But none of them really apply to me. I mean, some of them I think are there for me to volunteer to help with improving my community. I don't want to GIVE to the damn government, I want to TAKE.

    Where's the "We decided not to spend this $10,000 on an outhouse, so we'll give it to you instead! Enjoy your new motorcycle!" option?

    Quazar on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    atl7hahahazo7.png
    XBL: QuazarX
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I rather like this.
    I'm not sure how much good this site will do specifically, but the fact that somebody in the federal government is thinking about how we can make these assistance programs more visible and user-friendly is great.
    This beats the hell out of the old days of calling your county's health and human services department or the social security office and waiting a week until they get back to you to take your information down.

    Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2007
    I got 18. About a third of them had to do with job training and unemployment assistance.

    And a lot of them were bio-med related. I didn't click on them, because it was sort of scary. Like, are they hoping to use me as a guinea pig? "This dude is unemployed - he won't be needing his spleen."

    ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I got a lot of bio-med ones too, I'm not really sure why. I also got the citizenship and immigration one... do they know something about my citizenship status that I don't?

    Since I taught for a couple of years, I got some teacher ones that don't really apply.

    Also, apparently they want to help my buy a new home, in spite of the fact that nothing I answered indicated that I was in any way dissatisfied with the one I have.

    However, I did find one gem... apparently the HHS manages a child care referral system, although it seems geared at low-income families, which means it's going to filter out many places that are an option for us, but wouldn't be for a lower-income family.

    Nerissa on
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I got 18. About a third of them had to do with job training and unemployment assistance.

    And a lot of them were bio-med related. I didn't click on them, because it was sort of scary. Like, are they hoping to use me as a guinea pig? "This dude is unemployed - he won't be needing his spleen."

    I'd happily sell my spleen for enough money.

    _J_ on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I apparently need to become a citizen, despite already being one, and buy a federal HUD home from the massive inventory the government has.

    Despite already being a homeowner.


    I think this is a good idea but poorly executed. Good luck to the people who actually need assistance.

    Shogun on
  • NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Shogun wrote: »
    I apparently need to become a citizen, despite already being one, and buy a federal HUD home from the massive inventory the government has.

    Despite already being a homeowner.


    I think this is a good idea but poorly executed. Good luck to the people who actually need assistance.

    I wonder if anyone gets the HUD one who isn't already a homeowner...

    Also, I didn't have a clue what my bank balance is, so I left it blank. Maybe I got the bio-med ones because they thought I was broke. :P

    Nerissa on
  • FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This is probably more of a "shotgun" approach. There are obviously a fuckload of government programs, so being able to whittle this down to 30~40, many of which can be easily eliminated through your own judgement, is a pretty nice start for someone looking for some government cash.

    FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • clownfoodclownfood packet pusher in the wallsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    _J_ wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I got 18. About a third of them had to do with job training and unemployment assistance.

    And a lot of them were bio-med related. I didn't click on them, because it was sort of scary. Like, are they hoping to use me as a guinea pig? "This dude is unemployed - he won't be needing his spleen."

    I'd happily sell my spleen for enough money.

    i'll give your $15.79 for yours.

    clownfood on
    photo-4798.jpg?_r=1355437546
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited September 2007
    holy crap you people get a lot of benefits

    Tube on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I was filling this out but got bored before completing it.

    Couscous on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I got 17 but a good chunk of those didn't really apply to me. I am neither a senior in high school or living on an Indian reservation.

    And the other stuff was pretty much covered by being active duty. Help with medical costs? Pfft.

    Quid on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Shinto wrote: »
    holy crap you people get a lot of benefits

    It lists the ones you are eligible to apply for, not the ones you would actually get.

    And not all of them are worth much. I mean, the earned income tax credit is nice, but $400 a year isn't exactly going to keep you from starving.
    And a lot of them take several months or even years to get (disability, Section 8 housing subsidies).
    If anything, this shows how complicated and bureaucratic our "welfare" systems are.

    Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I had a full ride to a pretty good university for journalism, and basically gave it up when I decided I wanted to transfer to a different school for engineering.

    I will be using this site when I find out how much I'll be paying.

    Taximes on
Sign In or Register to comment.