As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

obvious answer

coldbird.coldbird. Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
befriended a girl in one of my classes

she introduced herself to me, actually

i took this as a sign that she dug me, i was wrong

she said she wanted to be 'friends', i obliged

we talked a lot, the class ended

i wanted to maintain the friendship, continue to see each other, etc.

she apparently didn't

so, i guess what i'm asking is, should i just never speak to her again

coldbird. on

• Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    She made it clear she didn't want to keep in touch?

Sorry man, but it sounds like you don't have much of a choice. Try and forget about her.

exis on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    That kind of stuff happens. If she doesn't want to be your friend, you can't force her. Just forget about it and move on.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    thanks, just needed to hear it from an outside source

coldbird. on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Wheres your avatar from?

Also, just forget about her. She doesn't want to be friend, don't be a creep by trying to force yourself into being her friend. Just forget about her and find someone who does want your company.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    coldbird. on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    why would a girl go around befriending guys, anyway?

i never understood that

coldbird. on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Have you never met someone who you just didn't like the first time you met them and not want to talk to them again? Hell, I met someone today in my extra chemistry class who was telling me nicely about how he broke his Mum's arm before. I never want to talk to him again.

I'm not saying you're a socially retarded freak who talking about mutilating their parents, but maybe you're just not her type of person. The exact same thing could happen to you if a guy came up and started talking to you.

Tav on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    coldbird. wrote: »

i never understood that

Wait, What? o.0

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    coldbird. wrote: »

i never understood that

Because they're people too? People befriend people, regardless of sex. Sometimes there is an untold sexual tension but very good friendships can exist, and many do.

Also, the girl in your OP would be considered an acquaintance.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    i couldn't see myself going around making 'girl' friends.

i wouldn't really initiate a conversation with a girl unless i was attracted to her

i guess that's just me

i guess i should elaborate on what the 'acquaintanceship' was like

we would call each other every few days to have a 1-3 hour conversation

our histories, problems and whatnot.

we'd always meet before and after class, she'd wait for me if i was late. writing musings to each other in class.

sort of puerile, i guess, but whatever.

coldbird. on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hmm I would consider that more than an acquaintance. Even though this is anecdotal, I've had friends who were like that and when class ended I never heard from again. And then I've had friends who keep in contact for years despite being halfway across the country only meeting in an orientation seminar.

You could try to re-contact her, considering your OP stated that she only "apparently" didn't want to keep contact. Did you straight-out ask her if she did?

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    basically, she's been ignoring my inquiries of reconnecting

i guess it's case closed

coldbird. on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Maybe she was sort of interested in you for a while, but then some time around the class ending, she met a new guy whom she decided to start dating, and so had no interest in keeping in touch with you anymore. Or maybe she's in the middle of something that makes it difficult for her to respond to your messages.

Anyway, I think it's a little... unhealthy for you to only approach women in whom you have a romantic interest. As Veritas said, women are people too, and you should learn to interact with them as peers, not as "things with breasts and vaginas."

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SpecularitySpecularity Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    As a female, I'm very disappointed that a male would limit his possible-friend-pool to just one gender. Why would you cut off half the world's company? Perhaps you came off that way to this girl and she was very turned off (not in the romantic or sexual sense, that is) by it. I know I would be if I got the sense that someone couldn't care less about my personality.

Perhaps in the future, allow yourself to get to know many people -- of both genders. This way, if it turns out someone, for whatever reason, doesn't want to continue the friend/acquaintanceship, you'll have other human beings to interact with.

Specularity on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    hey, i'm game.

coldbird. on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Sometimes friendships in school are like relationships at work; once you're let go, the conversations stop there. It honestly sounds like she just wanted a friend to talk to in one of her classes, plain and simple.

Introducing herself to you? So what? I do that kind of shit all the time in my classes, and I don't talk to half the girls/guys I meet once the semester's over. That's why you meet a shitton of people in college; for every ten people you do meet, you might get two or three actual friendships outside the classroom.

This girl just needed an aquaintance. It sucks, but thems the breaks I guess. Just pick up your sticks and move on.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    in closing, i just wanted to say

she was attractive, but a bit dense

fuck it.

coldbird. on
  • Options
    LukinLukin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    that's kinda strange but

relationships melt

like snow in springtime.

Lukin on
    cancer.jpg
  • Options
    Dulcius_ex_asperisDulcius_ex_asperis Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    As a female, I'm very disappointed that a male would limit his possible-friend-pool to just one gender. Why would you cut off half the world's company? Perhaps you came off that way to this girl and she was very turned off (not in the romantic or sexual sense, that is) by it. I know I would be if I got the sense that someone couldn't care less about my personality.

Perhaps in the future, allow yourself to get to know many people -- of both genders. This way, if it turns out someone, for whatever reason, doesn't want to continue the friend/acquaintanceship, you'll have other human beings to interact with.

Yes. Maybe if you were friends with girls, you'd also know which signals were good, and which were bad. Bonus, right? I'm sure there's some girl out there who's waiting to meet you, but you don't know her because you don't have girlfriends. It makes no sense to me when people only have friends of their sex. Makes me sad, too. You're missing out.

Dulcius_ex_asperis on
  • Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    i don't like hanging out with dense people in the least

but somehow i can always stand it a bit more in guys

maybe it's because I'm as much attracted to a girls mind as body

but god I've met some dumb ones

one of them decided, on a dateish thing to announce "i don't like black people" seconds after i mentioned how much i loved Lauren Hills music then ask "ooh no, you don't think I'm racist now do you?" then add "because i'm not"

if she was half as dumb as this girl you aren't missing out

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    Dulcius_ex_asperisDulcius_ex_asperis Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hey, I've met some guys who are pretty damn dense, too.

There are intelligent women out there in the world. Please trust me on this. Man, I can't imagine not having friends of both genders. When the OP said, "Why would girls befriend guys?" it boggled my mind.

Um...why wouldn't they?

Dulcius_ex_asperis on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Hey, I've met some guys who are pretty damn dense, too.

There are intelligent women out there in the world. Please trust me on this. Man, I can't imagine not having friends of both genders. When the OP said, "Why would girls befriend guys?" it boggled my mind.

Um...why wouldn't they?

Guys keep their distance so they don't catch cooties:P

Or maybe wherever the OP was spend a lot of time predominantly male environment (Single sex school?) where guys were your buddies and wimminz were for sex and that was that. I know guys who are like that in my school.

Tav on