As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Squares New Ip

dunit21dunit21 Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Games and Technology
Not sure if this jas been talked about but square enix has announced a new game called Infinite Undiscovery

Heres the announcement by square.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/821/821972p1.html
Sorry im not that much help with getting pics up

dunit21 on

• Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Saw it on gametrailers yesterday. Looks like trash so far.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    At least they're finally doing something other than Final Fantasy. Remember the good old days on the PSX when Square still experimented with new IPs? I do... and it's about fucking time they return to actually making games, instead of riding their cash cow into oblivion.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Tri-Ace is actually making the game. Square is consulting. MS is providing tech.

So I'd call it Tri-Ace's new game. But nobody asked me anyway.

Renzo on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    That's the Valkyrie Profile dev right?

LewieP on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    LewieP wrote: »

Yep.

Renzo on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    was their old 'ip in need of replacement?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Renzo wrote: »
    LewieP wrote: »

Yep.

It's also the Star Ocean (and Radiata Stories) dev.

So, this worries me. Star Ocean 3 is one vile piece of junk.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Drez wrote: »

Valkyrie Profile 2 was good.

Edit: What the fuck of a name is Infinite Undiscovery

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Inzigna wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »

Valkyrie Profile 2 was good.

It was. I reviewed it. I think I gave it a 92% or thereabouts. But most of their other recent stuff has been less than stellar.

And according to the IGN write-up, it's being compared to Star Ocean: 'Til The End Of Time and Radiata Stories.

I never played Radiata Stories. I heard it was good. I know eToychest liked it. But Star Ocean was...horrible.

Hopefully this won't be.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Infinite Undiscovery will have one game made.
    Final Fantasy will have 80.

See the irony?

Accualt on
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Well, every company have their own series that they would milk to hell.

SquareEnix - Final Fantasy
    EA - [Insert Sport Game]
    Konami - Metal Gear Solid [Debateable?]
    Namco - Ace Combat [Possibly the Worst Example Here]
    Epic - Unreal

You get the idea, I might be wrong in my examples, perhaps very wrong, but I guess every major company has a game that consumers would attribute it too, and Square is just doing what everyone wants to do, to make money.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I was about to say, that can't be a straight up Square game because I can tell who is male and female in the screens

Algertman on
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    SquareEnix - Final Fantasy VII
    EA - [Insert Sport Game], The Sims, Battlefield, Command & Conquer and probably some more....
    Konami - Metal Gear Solid, Pro Evolution Soccer/Winning Eleven
    Namco - Ridge Racer
    Epic - Unreal

Maybe a little more accurate. :|

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    Gaming-ModuleGaming-Module Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Infinite Undiscovery?

Worst name since Divine Divinity, IMHO.

Gaming-Module on
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    SquareEnix - Final Fantasy VII
    EA - [Insert Sport Game], The Sims, Battlefield, Command & Conquer and probably some more....
    Konami - Metal Gear Solid, Pro Evolution Soccer/Winning Eleven
    Namco - Ridge Racer
    Epic - Unreal
    Nintendo - Mario games that aren't platformers
    Sega - Sonic games with progressively worse characters
    Koei - Dynasty Warriors

Maybe a little more accurate. :|

Fix'd it some more

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Infinite Undiscovery?

Yeah, I think they were trying to come up with a name more meaningless than Final Fantasy 13.

...unless there's actually an "undiscovery" mechanic in the game. Because that would be badass.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'd be thrilled if the entire game was based on destroying peoples atlases, maps, and living room globes.

EDIT: 20040906h.jpg

The finer mechanics are that you decide who gets brainfucked so hard by lizard men that they no longer remember there's a vaccine for polio. You get an achievement if you return years later and make them Undiscover the polio they've now been suffering from for years.

That's the Infinite part. This isn't a one time thing, son. You signed up for infinity.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Infinite Undiscovery?

Yeah, I think they were trying to come up with a name more meaningless than Final Fantasy 13.

...unless there's actually an "undiscovery" mechanic in the game. Because that would be badass.

i'd like to put Grim Grimoire in that list. Never played it, i heard plenty of good things about it, but that there is a name that turns me right off.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It's about Cortés going to South America and punching Aztecs so hard that they become Undiscovered. For infinity. Or some such.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Grislo wrote: »
    It's about Cortés going to South America and punching Aztecs so hard that they become Undiscovered. For infinity. Or some such.

I laughed so fucking hard at this.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Does square have a dart board with various words on it that they use when coming up with names for games?

Couscous on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    That tingling feeling you get from reading the name of this game is your brain telling you that "undiscovery" is not a word. But now that they've made it a word, I wonder what it actually means. Is it time traveling into the past?

Hoz on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hoz wrote: »
    That tingling feeling you get from reading the name of this game is your brain telling you that "undiscovery" is not a word. But now that they've made it a word, I wonder what it actually means. Is it time traveling into the past?

"Unkown discoveries" according to the wikipedia page. Now what the fuck that means is a mystery to me.

Couscous on
  • Options
    GorgeeenGorgeeen __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    This game looks like fucking trash. Maybe pick it up in 10 years or something when it's on sale for 3 bucks in a 3 for 1 pack at a flea market.

Gorgeeen on
    No god damnit! The sheriff is a nig*Church Bells*r!!
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Pensies are "just kinda ugly" any way you slice it.

Or don't slice it.
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    so this isn't square's new IP is it?

tri-Ace is seperate right? square just publishes all their games.

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This name reminds me of the "Shine Get" from Mario Sunshine. Engrish at its finest.

shine_get.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

"Unkown discoveries" according to the wikipedia page. Now what the fuck that means is a mystery to me.
    That's undiscovered. Something can be undiscovered. As in, not yet discovered. So someone has to make a discovery to make it discovered. But you can't make an undiscovery to make something undiscovered, it just starts out that way.

Edit: What you just posted hit me when I was starting up TF2. Yeah, unknown discoveries is an undiscovery... but what the fuck? Why would there need to be a difference between known discoveries and unknown ones? How is one unkown?

Hoz on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Zephyr wrote: »
    so this isn't square's new IP is it?

tri-Ace is seperate right? square just publishes all their games.

I always thought Tri-Ace to be a subsection of Enix (which published all their games), which all got caught up in the merger to form Squeenix.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    Infinite Undiscovery?

i'd like to put Grim Grimoire in that list. Never played it, i heard plenty of good things about it, but that there is a name that turns me right off.

To be fair, "Grim Grimoire" is actually a legitimate turn of words. "Grim" as in "Not Happy" and "Grimoire" as in "Book of Magic."

Actually that's an awesome name for a J-RPG.

NOT HAPPY MAGICAL BOOK

Coming soon for Wii and PS3.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

That's undiscovered. Something can be undiscovered. As in, not yet discovered. So someone has to make a discovery to make it discovered. But you can't make an undiscovery to make something undiscovered, it just starts out that way.

Yeah, undiscovered is a state of being, not something you an do to something. I forget the proper grammatical terms. :)

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    FlavabeanFlavabean Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    so...this game is going to be like every other Japanese RPG?

It seems so long ago when the Japanese gaming market was original.

Flavabean on
    newsig.jpg
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    Infinite Undiscovery?

To be fair, "Grim Grimoire" is actually a legitimate turn of words. "Grim" as in "Not Happy" and "Grimoire" as in "Book of Magic."

NOT HAPPY MAGICAL BOOK

And the expansion disc:
    NOT HAPPY MAGICAL BOOK: DISAPPOINT REVIVAL

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

NOT HAPPY MAGICAL BOOK

And the expansion disc:
    NOT HAPPY MAGICAL BOOK: DISAPPOINT REVIVAL

We should honestly be in charge of this shit. Because you know it would be faburous. Er, fabulous.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    Scarlet PandaScarlet Panda Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Sad to say, and probably not the popular opinion, but I think Square-Enix is getting desperate.

The game market for the new generation I think really surprised most of the big companies, what with Sony dropping the ball on quality IP, Nintendo capturing a market people hadn't really thought of and XBOX360 dominating over Sony the way it has after a relatively weak first appearance with the original XBOX. This is really textbook game industry however. No company has ever been able to single-handedly dominate for more than two generations. Leaving out the pre-crash set, Nintendo dominated with the NES and SNES, then they dropped the ball with the N64. Next, Sony dominated for PS1 and PS2. Then, now it seems 360 may be the new major property for at least one more generation (given someone else doesn't knock that toucan off the branch).

Anyhow, back to Square. Personally I have been kinda disappointed in the direction Square has been going since post Final Fantasy 10. Final Fantasy 7 and 8 were obviously Square trying something new and they made a few mistakes, although these games were at least admirable for the attempt. Starting again, they went back to a point in their past and made 9 with concepts and references to the old game in order to attract some that may have been lost by previous fumbles. This is also the first and only Final Fantasy at the time to be a sequel to another game in the series. 10 they took what they learned form the first few in the generation and created what I thought was an admirable game, though I won't comment on X-2. This is the beginning. Next, Square starts releasing Final Fantasy Sequels for the first time with side games and games that have nothing to do with the series except common characters and such. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance they released as a shadow of the original and even re-used the name Ivalice but the game's story was nothing like the controversial original. Then came FFXI. Instead of releasing a new conventional Final Fantasy game, they make an MMORPG. Forgive me for those still enjoying this game, but it's another fancy Everquest clone like most of the rest. Then FFXII. Ivalice again, except they reused all the major concepts and character designs from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. Then they changed the battle system and broke the basic style of the series. This is honestly the first mainline FF I have not been able to finish and quit about 15 hours in when the story got convoluted. I understand some have like this new system and you are more than welcome to enjoy it as you have.

Somewhere in here, they lost Sakaguchi, taking the contracted(?) talents of Uematsu and Toriyama with him to start what seems like a serious competitor for Square. Blue Dragon for those missing the old school FF style and Lost Odyssey for those who have learned to appreciate the more modern flair. Mist walker backed the right pony this time and seems to be benefiting for it.

Square I think is unsure where their loyalties lie this generation. A couple of minor releases for 360 aside, they backed the product they knew, which was the Game Boy Advance/Nintendo DS. It seemed Square would back Sony's PS3 almost exclusively at first (as far as home console goes) though a somewhat lackluster representation has obviously made many of its previous backers nervous.

So anyhow, back to Infinite Undiscovery. I'd say this is a Square attempt to come back except that the games is being produced by Tri-Ace and Square is mostly just putting their name on it. And yes, it is a rather odd name for a game, but Japanese companies do really have a flair for mangling or manipulating English phrases. So next IP, FF13, will they make up for all the transition with this or merely cement Mist Walker's stance as some of the top RPG producers? I at least guarantee that if it does show up on PS3, it won't be exclusive and will probably appear on 360 as well. As for the wii, they're playing a completely different game, but they may have somewhat forgotten the old schoolers in favor of casual gaming (which they do seem to be making money with!).

Ready, attack!

Scarlet Panda on
    Kurimichi.png
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Square can't win.

Why are you all complaining?

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    THere's also that one XBox 360 game that Square is actually making.

The Last Remnant or somesuch.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »
    THere's also that one XBox 360 game that Square is actually making.

The Last Remnant or somesuch.

not exclusive

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Did...Did I say it was?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    oh

well you said 360

i thought that's what you were talking about

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm kind of confused about how Square is desperate. As the current generation unfolds their doing what any decent developer does and that is to make games where the buyers are and as this generation is more split than the last you now make games for all three consoles. I'm also a little confused about the rest of Scarlet Panda's comments and though he may not have liked the games they released basically every single one of them either sold decently or sold extremely well.

Also didn't Blue Dragon do terribly?

khain on