Options

Squares New Ip

• Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2007
    Zephyr wrote: »
    so this isn't square's new IP is it?

tri-Ace is seperate right? square just publishes all their games.

I always thought Tri-Ace to be a subsection of Enix (which published all their games), which all got caught up in the merger to form Squeenix.

No. Tri-Ace is their own development company.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Square may not be doing as well as they used to be, but no one should kid themselves that Mistwalker is doing terribly well, either.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Seriously Sqaure, stick to what you are good at. FFXII and Tactics. I will buy anything related to those products.

Oh and gba remakes. I love those.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    To not derail this into a Star Ocean 3 argument, I'll limit myself to saying that I'd be more excited about a Tri-Ace action RPG than one from any other company.

What I see in this game so far-A very generic protagonist and a guy in a ridiculous mask, which are both sadly par for the course in this type of game. Characters move too slow, and the actions from everybody don't seem terribly fluid. The story itself seems pretty boring, but there's room to create an interesting world, and the whole cause-effect deal has the potential to not suck, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I wouldn't dismiss the gameplay being polished up, and that's the really important thing here, but right now it's not that exciting.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Infinite Undiscovery? Really? That's one of the worst names I've ever heard by far.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I actually think it sounds pretty sweet. But I've been known to like overwrought titles. I thought that Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie was incredibly awesome.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Seriously though... why does this game look like ass? It looks like Final Fantasy 12 with way higher poly models and a more colourful landscape.

It seems to me that if a game doesn't go photoreal and have graphics on par with Gears of War, it "looks like crap".

I'm starting to seriously hate the current generation of gamers.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    it doesn't look bad it just looks like it should be on PS2 or Xbox.

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think it's a fallacy to expect game artists to be able to produce better and better looking games all the time. When artists hit a plateau in their ability, they have to work within that and slowly improve through practice, they don't just instantly improve because game systems got more powerful.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think it's a fallacy to expect game artists to be able to produce better and better looking games all the time. When artists hit a plateau in their ability, they have to work within that and slowly improve through practice, they don't just instantly improve because game systems got more powerful.

They should improve. As game systems get better, they're actually less limited. If being able to produce lower poly models and muddy textures is all they're capable of, they probably shouldn't have their jobs.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    A_ccualt wrote: »
    Infinite Undiscovery will have one game made.
    Final Fantasy will have 80.

See the irony?

that is fantastic

Snork on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Snork wrote: »
    A_ccualt wrote: »
    Infinite Undiscovery will have one game made.
    Final Fantasy will have 80.

See the irony?

that is fantastic

Sadly, it took me long enough to get it, but i do now see the irony. And shall laugh.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Infinite Undiscovery might be the most retarded set of words I have ever had the misfortune of reading, though. Undiscovered is a word. This does not mean you get to just assume that Undiscover, and thusly, Undiscovery are words. What the fuck does undiscovery on its own even mean?

Although this is a JRPG, so I guess it makes enough sense for the genre.

Snork on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It isn't even a good nonsensical name like Jesus: Deadly Bio Monster for the NES.

Couscous on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    All this talk of gibberish words eminds me of when Victor Ireland, formally of Working Designs, decided to create a new company called Gaijinworks.

Classic example of using a word that sounds cool, but having no clue on what it actually means.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    It isn't even a good nonsensical name like Jesus: Deadly Bio Monster for the NES.

please tell me that's real

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    darleysam wrote: »

please tell me that's real

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JESUS_Dreadful_Bio-Monster

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    awesome

also, i know nothing about Japanese (which i'm going to assume it is), so what does 'Gaijinworks' mean?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    MoogPaulMoogPaul Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    khain wrote: »
    I'm kind of confused about how Square is desperate. As the current generation unfolds their doing what any decent developer does and that is to make games where the buyers are and as this generation is more split than the last you now make games for all three consoles. I'm also a little confused about the rest of Scarlet Panda's comments and though he may not have liked the games they released basically every single one of them either sold decently or sold extremely well.

Also didn't Blue Dragon do terribly?

blue dragon did extremely well in Japan, considering most people in japan didn't own an xbox360, and therefor had to buy the system to boot. Blue Dragon basically cost most people in Japan 450 dollars, which more than enough people bought.
    However, state side, I wouldn't recommend the game unless you make a hong kong live account and get the hard mode. Hard mode makes it far more interesting and the original japanese voice over makes it far less annoying. Thankfully, mistwalker was kind enough to include the japanese, french, and english voice overs.

MoogPaul on
    moogpaul.png
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    awesome

also, i know nothing about Japanese (which i'm going to assume it is), so what does 'Gaijinworks' mean?

Foreigner Works. Yeah, makes no sense.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Glenn565 wrote: »
    awesome

Foreigner Works. Yeah, makes no sense.

Yeah, Gaijin is the japanese word for foreigner. But in context, it's used more as a racial slur more than anything. Kind of a catch-all for non japanese people. So you can see where it really misses the mark. Kinda like white people calling themselves crackers. Or... well, you can obviously fill in the blanks here with your race of choice.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    they could be gangsta... i got nothing.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Let me take 5 seconds to create some alternate titles with engaging, sensible and ultimately not made-up words (that potentially follow the spirit of the original title):

Infinite Unknown
    Infinite Oblivion
    Endless Extinction
    End of the Unrevealed (aka: Revealed!)
    Mysteries Lost (potential 'Solution' in there)
    Undiscovered Universe (or: Undiscovered Infinity)

Note for non-native speakers of languages: don't make up words in foreign languages.

Heck, I'm not even getting paid for this!

The only way that title could possibly make sense is if everyone gets their minds erased and 'undiscover' everything, and then it stays like that forever. It sounds like an infinitely enthralling game...

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
  • Options
    Sprocket FlossSprocket Floss Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The story we know so far is this: The moon provides power to the people on the planet of Infinite Undiscovery. A dark force has bound the moon in chains to take its power and so the world loses the light. A hero rises up who wants to cut the chains, free the people, and vanquish the darkness

What an incredibly unique story for a JRPG!

Also hating the name but on the plus side, we might be able to use a party of catchphrasing wankers shouting attack names of a similar theme.

"Quintessences of Demise!"

"Unappologetical Destruction!"

Sprocket Floss on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Instead of the silly story they have now, Square should make Infinite Undiscovery about a time traveling psychopath who travels through Earth's history, fucking with the timeline to make sure things get undiscovered. Infinitely. He stalks and burns down Jonas Salk in his own laboratory where he was hard at work discovering the vaccine for polio. He beats Newton with a bag filled with apples as he pondered about gravity. That sort of thing.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The story we know so far is this: The moon provides power to the people on the planet of Infinite Undiscovery. A dark force has bound the moon in chains to take its power and so the world loses the light. A hero rises up who wants to cut the chains, free the people, and vanquish the darkness

Also hating the name but on the plus side, we might be able to use a party of catchphrasing wankers shouting attack names of a similar theme.

:shock:

All this time, and I just now realized it: Catsby is a Japanese game developer!

s3rial one on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Instead of the silly story they have now, Square should make Infinite Undiscovery about a time traveling psychopath who travels through Earth's history, fucking with the timeline to make sure things get undiscovered. Infinitely. He stalks and burns down Jonas Salk in his own laboratory where he was hard at work discovering the vaccine for polio. He beats Newton with a bag filled with apples as he pondered about gravity. That sort of thing.

I'd buy that.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    matthias00matthias00 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The story we know so far is this: The moon provides power to the people on the planet of Infinite Undiscovery. A dark force has bound the moon in chains to take its power and so the world loses the light. A hero rises up who wants to cut the chains, free the people, and vanquish the darkness. You don't play as that hero.

If you're going to make fun of the story, at least get the quote right. Oh, and it makes it less cliche too. But hey whatever.

matthias00 on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I'd buy that.

Yeah, that would actually be cool...it could even have the tagline "Are you bad enough a dude to save history itself?"

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Hey at least now square can say that they made a game for the 360 and the 360'ers didn't pick it up. Then they can just develop JRPGs and SRPGs for the PS2/3

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Hey at least now square can say that they made a game for the 360 and the 360'ers didn't pick it up. Then they can just develop JRPGs and SRPGs for the PS2/3

As much as it saddens me to agree with KA, I think along these same lines. Much like Kojima put MGS2 Substance on Xbox, a game nobody bought because the system had a low install base and everyone owned the damn PS2 version already. It sold like shit; Kojima says "Oh well, we tried. Never again."

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Infinite...Undiscovery? Where do they come up with these names?

Reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend about how Wizards of the Coast probably named Magic cards. If they had a card, say "Star Fall", they'd just choose more obscure synonyms for it, like "Stellar Cascade" or something. Only that makes a modicum of sense, and sometimes makes the card sound cool. Infinite Undiscovery is just stupid. I know I shouldn't be fixating so much on the name but it just sounds so stupid.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

As much as it saddens me to agree with KA, I think along these same lines. Much like Kojima put MGS2 Substance on Xbox, a game nobody bought because the system had a low install base and everyone owned the damn PS2 version already. It sold like shit; Kojima says "Oh well, we tried. Never again."

Except this is an exclusive on the console with the larger install base.

At any rate, this isn't a console wars thread, so it's best to leave it alone.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Well, no matter if this flunks or passes at least they got their games for the PS2/3 and the Wii.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    Gaming-ModuleGaming-Module Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Katchem, you can have my helping of square RPG. I wasn't gonna eat it anyway.

Gaming-Module on
  • Options
    Sprocket FlossSprocket Floss Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    matthias00 wrote: »
    The story we know so far is this: The moon provides power to the people on the planet of Infinite Undiscovery. A dark force has bound the moon in chains to take its power and so the world loses the light. A hero rises up who wants to cut the chains, free the people, and vanquish the darkness. You don't play as that hero.

If you're going to make fun of the story, at least get the quote right. Oh, and it makes it less cliche too. But hey whatever.

I did show a little bias there. How much less cliched do you think that makes it by the way? I think it's like climbing to the very summit of Cliche Mountain and mowing the grass.

Sprocket Floss on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Instead of playing the hero, you play as someone who looks exactly like the hero and has something special that you will discover during the game.

I'm going to go ahead and say he is a clone of the hero.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Instead of playing the hero, you play as someone who looks exactly like the hero and has something special that you will discover during the game.

twin brother imo

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    He is the hero only.....AMNESIA!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Zephyr wrote: »

twin brother imo
    Or the hero is actually the main character that comes back in time at the end of the game.

-SPI- on