Options

Squares New Ip

• Options
    Sprocket FlossSprocket Floss Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Or the hero is actually the main character that comes back in time at the end of the game.

I'm getting behind this.

Sprocket Floss on
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    HE'S HIMSELF FROM THE FUTURE

OR PAST

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Klyka wrote: »
    He is the hero only.....AMNESIA!

When I grow up, I'm going to have so much amnesia.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Zephyr wrote: »

OR PAST

I would laugh if the answer seemed totally obvious like something along those lines, and then was something completely different.

George Lucas let me down when Senator Palpatine did in fact turn out to be Emperor Palpatine. It was too obvious, and I thought he was gonna throw some weird twist at us.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

OR PAST

George Lucas let me down when Senator Palpatine did in fact turn out to be Emperor Palpatine. It was too obvious, and I thought he was gonna throw some weird twist at us.

George Lucas let me down when he dropped his pants and shat all over my senses with his newest cinematic trilogy.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

OR PAST

I would laugh if the answer seemed totally obvious like something along those lines, and then was something completely different.

Tri-ace isn't known for plots with well done twists, are they? I heard nothing but bitching about Star Ocean: Till the End of Time's plot twist.

Couscous on
  • Options
    skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Limited Discovery?

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Scarlet PandaScarlet Panda Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm thinking... Infinite Discovery ?

Scarlet Panda on
    Kurimichi.png
  • Options
    MitsuhideMitsuhide Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I liked Star Ocean, up until that damn turtle riding - tunnel run. :x

Mitsuhide on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2007
    I like how all that's known is the title, a little blurb for the premise, and the developer... and people are already breaking out the pitchforks and arguing over how much it sucks.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Probably because it's a horrendous title that basically personifies every cliche people have come to expect from the company behind it.

Snork on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2007
    What did Tri-Ace do to deserve your wrath? The last game they made was fucking great.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Aroduc wrote: »
    I like how all that's known is the title, a little blurb for the premise, and the developer... and people are already breaking out the pitchforks and arguing over how much it sucks.

Well, if all that's known so far about the game sucks, well, then, technically so far all of the game sucks, doesn't it?

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    What did Tri-Ace do to deserve your wrath? The last game they made was fucking great.
    I will never forgive them for Star Ocean 3.
    Unless they make a Radiata Stories 2.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2007

Well, if all that's known so far about the game sucks, well, then, technically so far all of the game sucks, doesn't it?

The same could be said for many of the posters in this thread.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You know, it would have been more exciting for me if they just expanded on the Valkyrie Profile series.

They had something going on there, then they went to possibly screw things up with a new IP.

But you know what, I'm just going to hold back on my criticism, there have been promising games gone bad, and well, bad games that became fantastic.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This game was announced a long long time ago, possibly even before Valkyrie Profile 2 was released.

And I, for one, enjoyed Star Ocean 3.

Marty81 on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Well, the developers chose to have an uphill battle for respect when they announced that the title of the game is gibberish.

Perhaps it's an early translation, and the Japanese title either makes sense or at least sounds good. But the time for people to point out that the English title neither sounds good nor is coherant is now. If the American localizer of this game were to happen on a thread like this, what they should get out of it is, "Unless we know for a fact this game is going to be so revolutionary that it will put words in the dictionary and change common perception about grammar, we should probably give it a different name."

I'm well aware that, in many cases, foreign titles don't mean a lot when translated, but a good localizer knows when to force it and when to switch it out.

Personally, I think they should have kept Resident Evil as "Biohazard" as it is in Japan, but I'm sure there were reasons that made sense at the time.

If you'd asked me, before I played Nocturne, about "Persona," I'd think you were talking about a 1966 Ingmar Bergman film about a quiet power struggle for identity between two women in Sweden.

Anyway, the game could be wonderful, but we have no idea. As I said, though, those of us who think that the title is even more ludicrous than normal for JRPGs (Final Fantasy Part Twelve? Are you shitting me? The games usually don't even have anything to do with eachother, so why keep the title? Oh, right, brand recognition).

In closing, we're trying to do them a favor by pointing this out. Really.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    They should have a single achievement that there's no information about and that you actually can't ever get. Then the title would be brilliant.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I was thinking, did Final Fantasy sound like a dumb name back then?

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2007
    Kind of like "Ninja Sidestory" for the main series, eh?

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Inzigna wrote: »
    I was thinking, did Final Fantasy sound like a dumb name back then?

Final Fantasy always sounded dumb to me, except for in that FFVII commercial where the announcer makes it sound fucking epic.

"They said it couldn't be done in a major motion picture.

They...were right!

Final. Fantasy. SEVEN.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If I'm thinking of the right game (saw it in Famitsu), 'Infinite Undiscovery' is the game's name. As in, it's the English words, spelled and pronounced the Japanese way. They love to do that, and they usually don't care too much what the words actually mean. See: my own company's last major Japanese release, 'Soul Cradle'.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Houk wrote: »
    If I'm thinking of the right game (saw it in Famitsu), 'Infinite Undiscovery' is the game's name. As in, it's the English words, spelled and pronounced the Japanese way. They love to do that, and they usually don't care too much what the words actually mean. See: my own company's last major Japanese release, 'Soul Cradle'.

What's in a name, eh?

Unfortunately for the Japanese, it does kinda matter to plenty of people. Like me. How many Final Fantasies can you have? Lawl, moar monies plz.

... <.<

Henroid on
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Meh, I'll wait and see. From the comments here it looks like most people don't want a JRPG, as evedant from the rise and fall of Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonatra and such.

Whatever the game will be, it will be a SE game, so I will get it. I hope that the "exclusive" part is dropped so I don't have to buy a third system.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Whatever the game will be, it will be a SE game, so I will get it.
    It isn't being developed by SE and isn't even using one of Square's old IP. SE is just publishing it.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    If anything, I love JRPGs.

Could never wrap my head around the likes of Oblivion or Neverwinter Nights. But if anything, western RPGs do seem to have better names than JRPGs.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    final fantasy is a pretty good name

if you remember that it originally there was only supposed to be 1 FF

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007

I have never seen a good source for that.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_fantasy

I remember seeing something on G4 about it being there last game back in the 80's when they sucked.

Minerva_SC on
    "If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    MoogPaulMoogPaul Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I duno much about this oddly named game; however, I'd like to take the time to ask, why not expand pre-existing games they have? Chrono? I was kinda partial to parasite eve as well.

MoogPaul on
    moogpaul.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    MoogPaul wrote: »
    I duno much about this oddly named game; however, I'd like to take the time to ask, why not expand pre-existing games they have? Chrono? I was kinda partial to parasite eve as well.

because SQUARE ISN'T DEVELOPING IT.

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    CALM DOWN BOY.

Talk nicely.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Minerva_SC wrote: »
    titmouse wrote: »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_fantasy

I remember seeing something on G4 about it being there last game back in the 80's when they sucked.
    According to unconfirmed sources, Sakaguchi had plans to retire after the completion of the project, so it was named Final Fantasy.[citation needed]

I have hear at least two versions. The first is that the whole company was going bankrupt and the second was that the designer was just planning to retire.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    i would retire if my company was going bankrupt too.

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

And anyway, Square is making a new parasite eve.

It just happens to be on Japanese Superphones so you'll never get to play it.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Someone needs to send them a letter. A letter about Xbox Live.

Before Crisis, the new Parasite Eve...they'd make a fucking killing on XBLA.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

If its anything I've learnt about the game industry, its that companies don't like earning money, especially when the opportunities are blatantly obvious.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Inzigna wrote: »

If its anything I've learnt about the game industry, its that companies don't like earning money, especially when the opportunities are blatantly obvious.

They do, they just go about it the wrong way.

BUY YOUR CHEATS HERE, PEOPLE!

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

seriously

is there like an address i can e-mail to them about this

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg