Options

Squares New Ip

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Plus, this way they'd have an FF exclusive on every system.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Needs more Vagrant Story.

Henroid on
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Henroid wrote: »
    I would die for a re-release.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Inzigna wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    I would die for a re-release.

*walks toward Inzigna while sharpening blades against each other*

Henroid on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    MoogPaul wrote: »
    khain wrote: »
    I'm kind of confused about how Square is desperate. As the current generation unfolds their doing what any decent developer does and that is to make games where the buyers are and as this generation is more split than the last you now make games for all three consoles. I'm also a little confused about the rest of Scarlet Panda's comments and though he may not have liked the games they released basically every single one of them either sold decently or sold extremely well.

Also didn't Blue Dragon do terribly?

blue dragon did extremely well in Japan, considering most people in japan didn't own an xbox360, and therefor had to buy the system to boot. Blue Dragon basically cost most people in Japan 450 dollars, which more than enough people bought.
    However, state side, I wouldn't recommend the game unless you make a hong kong live account and get the hard mode. Hard mode makes it far more interesting and the original japanese voice over makes it far less annoying. Thankfully, mistwalker was kind enough to include the japanese, french, and english voice overs.

Yeah it did well for a 360 game in Japan, but that doesn't change the fact that it did terribly.

Anyway, people like to bitch about Square Enix's unoriginality but man, I'm still going to buy most of the Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Heart and Star Ocean games they develop. Infinite Undiscovery and Last Remnant? No thanks, they look awfully generic.

pancake: What? The 360 doesn't have a bigger install base than the Xbox. The Xbox sold around 24 million units worldwide, the 360 isn't even halfway there.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    guys

infinite isn't being made by square

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    pancake: What? The 360 doesn't have a bigger install base than the Xbox. The Xbox sold around 24 million units worldwide, the 360 isn't even halfway there.

I was referring to its install base compared to the PS3 since it was said that the MGS2 Xbox port flopped because the install base wasn't there and everyone already had it on the PS2 and this was used to dictate the probable success of Infinite Undiscovery because it's on the 360 and not the PS3. In this case, the 360 has a larger install base and it's an exclusive. It can't fall prey to the same circumstances.

It's not applicable. That was the point. Thanks for missing that whole thing.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Zephyr wrote: »
    guys

We know.

They're only publishing it. Your inner geek tells you to speak the truth. And I still with you.

But it's so much easier to say than Tri-Ace!

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    guys

We know.

They're only publishing it. Your inner geek tells you to speak the truth. And I still with you.

But it's so much easier to say than tri-Ace!

Does anyone know why its capitalized that way?

khain on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2007
    guys

We know.

But it's so much easier to say than Tri-Ace!

Mark my words. Within 24 hours, at least two more people will come into this thread just to go "lol Square."

We shall shoot those people out of a cannon.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    khain wrote: »
    guys

We know.

Does anyone know why its capitalized that way?

because it looks cooler than tri-ace

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I meant instead of Tri-Ace, which is the way most people write it.

khain on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    its spelled that way for the same reason this game is named what it is.

cuz they're fucking looney toons.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Aroduc wrote: »
    guys

We know.

Mark my words. Within 24 hours, at least two more people will come into this thread just to go "lol Square."

We shall shoot those people out of a cannon.

AYE CAPTAIN.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    lol Square

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    To the cannons.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Pancake wrote: »

I was referring to its install base compared to the PS3 since it was said that the MGS2 Xbox port flopped because the install base wasn't there and everyone already had it on the PS2 and this was used to dictate the probable success of Infinite Undiscovery because it's on the 360 and not the PS3. In this case, the 360 has a larger install base and it's an exclusive. It can't fall prey to the same circumstances.

Except the PS3 HAS got a bigger install base in Japan (aka, the largest market for JRPG's). And as Blue Dragon showed, the larger US and European 360 install bases didn't compensate for that at all. So while it isn't the best comparison around, it's not as poor as you seem to think.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Somebody should really edit the thread title.

Edit: A moon being chained up is quite a cool idea, although the brief glimpses of in-gameness didn't grab me.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    lol Square

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Pancake wrote: »

Except the PS3 HAS got a bigger install base in Japan (aka, the largest market for JRPG's). And as Blue Dragon showed, the larger US and European 360 install bases didn't compensate for that at all. So while it isn't the best comparison around, it's not as poor as you seem to think.

Well, at least I hope its passible in Japan, does the same thing as blue dragon. I wish they would wake up and realize that stuff like Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonatra and such where better off using the PS3 engine than the 360 which is pre-dominatly Western Market Oriented.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Houk wrote: »
    If I'm thinking of the right game (saw it in Famitsu), 'Infinite Undiscovery' is the game's name. As in, it's the English words, spelled and pronounced the Japanese way. They love to do that, and they usually don't care too much what the words actually mean. See: my own company's last major Japanese release, 'Soul Cradle'.

*sigh* I don't know if we did this to the Japanese, or they did it to themselves, or a combination of both.

Anyway, I thought Makai Kingdom had a cool-sounding name, but the game... it was... really... bad... at least not to my taste.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Well, at least I hope its passible in Japan, does the same thing as blue dragon. I wish they would wake up and realize that stuff like Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonatra and such where better off using the PS3 engine than the 360 which is pre-dominatly Western Market Oriented.

...you're saying there's something inside each console that processes games better based on where the game was made? Like a subroutine deep in the 360 that intentionally downgrades things if they're from Japan?

And why did you capitalize Western Market Oriented?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »

And why did you capitalize Western Market Oriented?

Capitalizing random English Words is a Common Practice in early Industrial society, from the ninteenth Century through to, perhaps World War I. It remains Common on the internet, especially Among those for Whom English is not the native Language.

I strongly Suggest that, like proper Grammar, Spelling, and Punctuation, we not worry too much about Obscure Capitalization on the Internet.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Somebody should really edit the thread title.

Edit: A moon being chained up is quite a cool idea, although the brief glimpses of in-gameness didn't grab me.

It sounds very ...'Dr. Robotnik' to me.
    see: SonicCD

Also, Eternal Sonata is decently fun, Blue Dragon I'm kind of meh about, although I've only played the demo, I'll probably still get around to playing it. It sounds to me like you just don't want them to be on the 360 because you don't like the 360, not because they'd be any better on the PS3. Hardware does not favor a market (although markets favor hardware).

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »
    MoogPaul wrote: »
    I duno much about this oddly named game; however, I'd like to take the time to ask, why not expand pre-existing games they have? Chrono? I was kinda partial to parasite eve as well.

because SQUARE ISN'T DEVELOPING IT.
    And anyway, Square is making a new parasite eve.

It just happens to be on Japanese Superphones so you'll never get to play it.

1UP has reported that an honest to goodness console Parasite Eve is in development in addition to the cell phone game. No solid details yet though - http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3160556

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    *sigh* I don't know if we did this to the Japanese, or they did it to themselves, or a combination of both.

Anyway, I thought Makai Kingdom had a cool-sounding name, but the game... it was... really... bad... at least not to my taste.
    Interestingly, they (I wasn't working here at the time) changed that title, too. In Japan it was literally called 'Phantom Kingdom'.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

...you're saying there's something inside each console that processes games better based on where the game was made? Like a subroutine deep in the 360 that intentionally downgrades things if they're from Japan?

I don't know what he's trying to say either. Blue Dragon was better off using the PS3 engine? First off, that doesn't make sense. Secondly, Microsoft publishes it, funds it and probably owns the IP too. It'll come to the PS3 when Gran Turismo is released on the 360, aka never.

And Eternal Sonata IS coming to the PS3.

Btw, Makai Kingdom is fucking awesome. Zetta >>> Laharl.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Guys,learn to read K_A language:

What he means is that the PS3 is THE next-gen console in Japan. So if Blue Dragon had come out on the PS3 it would have sold A LOT. But since it came out on the 360, it is NOT selling a lot. Which is wrong,because the game is selling decently for a JRPG.

Also there are 11 new screenshots at xboxyde.com

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Klyka wrote: »
    Guys,learn to read K_A language:

What he means is that the PS3 is THE next-gen console in Japan. So if Blue Dragon had come out on the PS3 it would have sold A LOT. But since it came out on the 360, it is NOT selling a lot. Which is wrong,because the game is selling decently for a JRPG.

The problem with it selling 'decently for a JRPG' from my point of view, is that it had a pretty large budget but still only managed to sell as well as games with much smaller budgets.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Well, if big budget = awesome, we would see a lot more cool games and movies.

Sadly, it's not always like that :(

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007

The significance is that if JRPG on Xbox 360 is unprofitable, we will see less of them. however I imagine that blue dragon will be profitable on an international scale though, or at least equally (un)profitable to a PS3 JRPG. If it's getting a DS sequel, the franchise obviously has legs.

I mean, this is how I see exclusive RPGs breaking down -

360 exclusive - High proportion of sales compared to install base in Japan, although relatively low number. Decent sales international to decent install base, but small proportion compared to Japan

PS3 exclusive - High proportion sales in Japan, although to a pretty small install base. High proportion of sales compared to consoles internationally, but low number due to small install base.

Wii exclusive - yet to see a big budget JRPG, but I imagine it would sell like hotcakes everywhere.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    LewieP wrote: »

The significance is that if JRPG on Xbox 360 is unprofitable, we will see less of them. however I imagine that blue dragon will be profitable on an international scale though, or at least equally (un)profitable to a PS3 JRPG. If it's getting a DS sequel, the franchise obviously has legs.

Uh, they've already released it internationally. It bombed in Europe and the US too (from the last NPD figures anyway). It'll be really lucky if it hits 500k.

As for the DS sequel, I don't understand your logic. If it's getting a sequel on the DS, it must mean the franchise is doing well? Tell that to Viva Pinata. :lol:

I think it's more of a case of Microsoft trying to lure new fans in. If they buy and play Blue Dragon on the DS, it might convince them to pick up a 360 with Blue Dragon 1. Same thing goes with Viva Pinata.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    hmm, I didn't realise it sold badly in Europe.

How about USA?

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    hmm, I didn't realise it sold badly in Europe.

How about USA?

Well it started decently in the UK, at ninth but then it dropped down into the 30-40 range pretty quickly. Elsewhere in Europe, it didn't even chart.

As for the US, it sold around 50k in August but it was only on sale for a few days. We'll have to wait until the September NPD's come out before getting a proper picture.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    If Blue Dragon has come out on the PS3, not as a MS IP then it would have sold decently and be in competiton with other JRPGs. For the 360, it has bombed along side Enchanted Arms, Enternal Sonatra and such other games. Hopefully there is some hope in Eternal Sonatra doing well on the PS3.

But thats not the point here. The point is that Square will produce it, the western oriented gamers won't touch it, of course, they will be busy playing Halo 3 for the next clone shooter, and square will go back to making stuff for the PS3 and the Wii. Shouts will ensue saying that the 360 shouldn't fail in Japan and how could it, and the circle continues.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    mrotsmrots Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Blue Dragon honestly seemed really derivative to me from the demo, so maybe it hasn't sold so well because it's not that great, rather than being on American devil hardware? Also the general consensus on Enchanted Arms I thought was that it was pretty mediocre. I'd hope that even in this day and age if something isn't really that great that it'd reflect in sales?

In any case, JRPGs have kind of lost their magic with me lately, but I've always had a soft spot for tri-Ace games. I spent an entire summer playing Star Ocean 2 back in '99 or '00, and they really hit a home run with both VP games.

mrots on
    mrots.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Personally, I think part of what is (likely) dragging Blue Dragon down in the U.S. is the 360 audience in general. I'm not saying everyone who owns a 360 is like this, but given the games out for it this one sticks out like a sore thumb, being a Japanese RPG and "teh kiddy." Really, I'll bet tons of people said "no thanks" after looking at the goofy font on the box.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Personally, I think part of what is (likely) dragging Blue Dragon down in the U.S. is the 360 audience in general. I'm not saying everyone who owns a 360 is like this, but given the games out for it this one sticks out like a sore thumb, being a Japanese RPG and "teh kiddy." Really, I'll bet tons of people said "no thanks" after looking at the goofy font on the box.

I agree fully, I mean it's not good but I do think it's for the most part the 360 audience even though I think that Blue Dragon is a great game, it will probaly not get through to as many people as it should,

I am very impressed by it though.

Lothars on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Oh, I have no problem with the game itself. I think it looks good. I just don't think that the 360 audiance wants JRPGs on its system.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Katchem, if Blue Dragon was released on the PS3 it would not have sold 1 copy more than it did now.

I claim that because I am a Doktor and I know SCIENCE.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg