Options

What do you believe but cannot prove?

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    the most amazing wine I've ever had was a '92 Cabernet Sauvignon. Pinot isn't totally unaffordable, here if you shop in the right places and some of the Californian stuff is damn good. If the dollar continues to tank, I'm sure you'll be able to swing it soon.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Zinfandel >>>> *

Thanatos on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    I'm not religious but I believe in good and evil - I think there's something nasty in people beneath what can be adequately explained by genetics, psychology, or economics; and something noble too, that isn't accounted for by the lazy cynicism of "lol it's still selfish to be charitable if it makes you feel good".

I'd like to think that the universe still has some surprises in store for us, and not in a cheapass New Agey spoon-bending sort of way either. FTL would be nice; a general expansion of consciousness would be nicer.

I think we have the potential to be so much more than we are - and I think that the next hundred years may see us start to redeem some of that potential.

EDIT: tl;dr: I think that in all things, urgency is warranted but never despair. I'm a big sappy dork. Sue me.
    EDIT2: oh, and actually, I think my sig says it all much better than I could.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Purpose and free will, existence of random numbers, the inadequacy of evolutionary theory (maybe "incompleteness" is a better word), and the uselessness of zip codes.

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    armageddonboundarmageddonbound Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I believe that we are all truly alone. I mean that on more than one level. I dont think we really connect with other people on a level that we think we do. I dont think you ever really know someone, you can know a "part" of them, but you never really fully know someone. I also believe that if there is life out there in the universe, intelligent life, that it is so far away and so rare that we will never encounter it. Our consciousness is stuck in this meat puppet with limited senses, it will blink out of existence when our body dies, never having connected with another consciousness on any level higher than gestures and utterings.

armageddonbound on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Marty81 wrote: »
    That the system of mathematical logic that we use cannot lead to contradiction.

But that's provably false.

"x. x is false"

ZING!

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Marty81 wrote: »
    That the system of mathematical logic that we use cannot lead to contradiction.

But that's provably false.

"x. x is false"

ZING!

I don't follow, but I'm curious. How's that work?

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I believe the universe is infinite, I believe that there is no life after death, just nothingness, and I believe that there is life on other planets but we will never travel past our own solar system.

Johannen on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    what do you believe but cannot prove?

What do you mean by "prove"?

_J_ on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    See Cat's post.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Shinto wrote: »
    See Cat's post.
    The Cat wrote: »
    Sometimes I wish you borderline aspie fucks would just accept a thread in the spirit in which its meant and have some fun with it, but nooooooo

That?

_J_ on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Thinatos wrote: »
    I believe that most cops in the U.S. are corrupt, or, at the very least, stand by and allow corruption to occur (which makes them corrupt, in my book).
    I believe this as well. The actual, factual, real life instances of cop corruption that do get discovered at times can be goddamn chilling, which really doesn't help deter any further speculation on my part.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    You are correct sir.

Shinto on
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Mine is probably the most personal one I could share.

I believe in a soul.

I have no reason to, my belief defies my logic, and were I to rely strictly on reason, I probably would conclude that it's impossible. But that belief gives me comfort, and I want to believe it.

Don't try to tell me how flawed that is. I know.

That being said, I still strongly believe in all that science has to offer. I use the word "beleive" now in the same sense that I say I "believe" the sun will rise tomorrow. An example I believe I stole from Richard Dawkins. I can't remember.

It's an odd dichotomy. As strongly as I want to believe in an after-life, I more often than not end up arguing a very definite athiest point of view. I suppose because I'm so insecure and serious about the fallacy of my own beliefs, whenever I come across anyone who tries to pass their own spiritual beliefs as the obvious and logical path, I want to destroy their entire argument. I typically pass them off as fools, at least in that matter. But what do I know? I'm an idiot, anyhow. I don't mean that entirely, but in a more general sense. I'm missing a lot of information, all the time about everything.

This is pretty much me right here, but I don't believe in an afterlife. It's more that I can't help but believe that we've got something that distinguishes us from everything and everyone else, and it's our individual souls. It doesn't make sense under the rest of my beliefs and logic, but it's what I believe.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    You are correct sir.

But Internet R Serious business.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    _J_ wrote: »
    You are correct sir.

But Internet R Serious business.

You make an excellent case. This matter must be deliberated upon.

Shinto on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    "I believe against all evidence that the world is grateful for ceaseless pedantry"

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    PaperPlatePaperPlate Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Opinions?

PaperPlate on
    Minecraft: PAPRPL8
    League of Legends (your friendly neighborhood support): PAPRPL8
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I believe that I am insane, insofar as I don't think in a manner which I would consider "normal".
    I believe that the most pretentious people are the first to accuse others of being pretentious.
    I believe that Tony Abbott in power would make America's "religious right" look tame.
    I believe that Pizza Shapes taste better than Barbecue Shapes.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    romanlevin wrote: »
    I also believe global warming isn't as cracked up as it's supposed to be.
    I'm pretty much that way with all the fad scares: bird flu, mad cow disease, cipro/anthrax.

Except this time we all gonn' die.
    Yeah and Hurricane Katrina was a product of too much carbon dioxide. :roll:
    We haven't had a major hurricane this year people.
    I swear it's global warming only when the weather goes their way.

Read Storm World, by Chris Mooney.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Two things:
    1) Humans will never be able to understand all there is to know about how humans tick.

and

2) Somewhere and in sometime, lightsabers will be (or have been) a useful and economically viable weapon for combat.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hmm. Ever since I was little I was able to believe that Intelligent Design and Evolution could both be right.

What is time in God's eye?

Something I came upon when I realized that a fly lives out it's entire lifetime in what equates to very little for us. And within that short window, it lives happily and to it's full potential (annoying us!). It's an odd way of thinking, I suppose, but I am happy with it, and can agree with everybody and nobody can try to be mad at me for thinking so.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Hmm. Ever since I was little I was able to believe that Intelligent Design and Evolution could both be right.

Something I came upon when I realized that a fly lives out it's entire lifetime in what equates to very little for us. And within that short window, it lives happily and to it's full potential (annoying us!). It's an odd way of thinking, I suppose, but I am happy with it, and can agree with everybody and nobody can try to be mad at me for thinking so.

Flies don't happy. Flies also do not sad.

_J_ on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I don't believe in believing.

I just function off of what seems functional.

--

_J_: You need to install happy.exe

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

A more interesting question: what is time in a photon's eye?

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Al_wat wrote: »
    A more interesting question: what is time in a photon's eye?

The Buddha said "mu".

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    evilbob wrote: »
    I believe that Tony Abbott in power would make America's "religious right" look tame.

Haha holy shit you're right. I'm superficially sure he must be the mud thrower for Howard.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007

They certainly could, since they aren't incompatible. But then, only one has anything to do with observable reality, so it's like saying that gravity is compatible with the idea of wizards.

Doc on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I believe that the vast majority of humans alive are significantly mentally ill. I believe that our current standard of psychological health is really more like "barely functional" than "healthy."

In the same vein, I believe that what we popularly understand to be "adulthood" or "maturity" is actually the net result of years of psychological trauma. I believe that our civilization, and likely most other civilizations as well, heap trauma upon trauma on young people that is similar in nature and effects to long-term emotional abuse.

I believe that despite the overt emphasis on materialism and creature comforts in western culture, there is still a subtle ascetic aspect to popular morality that pushes people towards pointless self-denial.

I believe that Puritanical attitudes towards sex result in people becoming deeply self-loathing in ways that aren't obviously connected to sex.

I believe that there is an inherent human need to experience altered states of consciousness that is comparable to the human desires to create and enjoy art.

I believe that power: the exchange of power, the distribution of power, the exercise of power; is fundamental to human existence. I believe that every human being living in a free country should be deeply cognizant of how power differentials affect their daily life, even (or especially) among one's so-called "equals." I believe that lacking this cognizance is a form of social blindness, or perhaps social illiteracy.

I believe that the best way to improve any system is from inside of it.

I believe that there are people with "psychic" abilities, except that they're rudimentary much as the light-sensitive cells that represented the distant evolutionary ancestors of the modern animal eye were rudimentary; I believe that such people do not call themselves "psychic" or attempt to perform tricks on talk shows, but rather have a more sensitive than normal reaction to the thoughts and feelings of others.

I believe that death is not the end of life or consciousness. This does not mean that I believe in God, heaven, or hell. I believe that consciousness acts like other forms of energy in that it cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed, and that the apparent emergence of consciousness from a complex network of neurons and the subsequent eventual disappearance of that consciousness are illusions perpetuated by our own lack of understanding of the processes involved.

I believe that most people have more control over their own lives than they could possibly understand. I believe that most negative attitudes are self-fulfilling prophecies. I believe that (barring serious illness, starvation, abject poverty, or significant political oppression) most people have a mind-boggling amount of control over their own lives, if they simply knew where to go and what to do. I believe that the greatest threat to human potential, both individually and collectively, is ignorance.

I believe that certain of these beliefs might subject me to ridicule, but I really don't care.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Feral, a lot of that I agree with.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    same. well, not the lifeafterdeath thing, because it strikes me as wishful thinking, and I don't think everyone's as crazy as all that (just most of us) but the rest, pretty much.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I believe in Karma what you give is what YOU GET RETUAARRRNED!

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    NinjacratNinjacrat Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    THE CREED OF THE SCIENTIST: There is no problem without solution.

Well, that's from a cheezy SF story. But definately a thing worth believing and impossible to prove.

Ninjacrat on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I disagree with a good deal of that, Feral, but they're significantly less ridiculous than the average set of religious beliefs, so you're probably in the clear on the last one.

I think it's a fundamental human flaw (I would say flaw, although some people seem to consider it to be a virtue, god knows why) to believe in things without any kind of basis, support, logic or reasoning behind them. I wonder if that's just because the brain is an imperfect machine or what.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I believe that generally, people are predisposed (and have the ability) to come together and collaboratively reach construction solutions to their problems.

Given the current U.S. political climate I should re-evaluate this, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    evilbob wrote: »

Haha holy shit you're right. I'm superficially sure he must be the mud thrower for Howard.
    We can but hope he never gets power. Thankfully at the moment it looks like the only way that will happen is if the Liberals win but Howard loses his seat, and even then it would probably just end up being Costello.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I believe that all people are, at some level, fundamentally good and that all conflicts can be solved with reason because at the end of the day we are just all human.........

Despite all evidence to the contrary. >_<

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I believe you have my stapler.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I believe you have my staple.

:facepalm: ;-)

(On topic: I believe that all people are both fundamentally the same, and fundamentally different. It's not contradictory, it would just take explaining and clarification which would fly counter the the simple, brief style the thread has taken on. Except Feral's post. But Feral's awesome. See sig.)

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I believe you have my staple.

liar. Unless you're talking about the other kind of staple in which case depressing hi5.

HappylilElf on