Options

What do you believe but cannot prove?

• Options
    ShinyoShinyo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I believe my parents are stealing money from my room while I'm away. I keep changing the hiding place (even places outside my room), but I keep losing money.

It's nothing big, 5-10 dollars at a time. But it's enough to piss me off.

Shinyo on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Do you have a little brother?

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    evilbob wrote: »
    Do you have a little brother?

It's sad and yet another blow to my beliefs but that was my first question as well D:

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I believe in miracles. Do you? Do you? Do you?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Do you believe in magic in a young girls heart?

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    No brother. I have a little sister, but I've been able to eliminate her as a suspect. Which means it's either my parents, or my dog can somehow open doors and boxes now.

Shinyo on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Shinto wrote: »

I believe I can fly.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Shinyo wrote: »
    No brother. I have a little sister, but I've been able to eliminate her as a suspect. Which means it's either my parents, or my dog can somehow open doors and boxes now.
    Evolution.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I believe I can fly.

Do you believe you can touch the sky?

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    _J_ wrote: »
    You are correct sir.

But Internet R Serious business.

You make an excellent case. This matter must be deliberated upon.

I believe that it shouldn't be deliberated on.

Johannen on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Marty81 wrote: »
    That the system of mathematical logic that we use cannot lead to contradiction.
    :^:

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    ArrBeeBee wrote: »
    I disagree with a good deal of that, Feral, but they're significantly less ridiculous than the average set of religious beliefs, so you're probably in the clear on the last one.

I think it's a fundamental human flaw (I would say flaw, although some people seem to consider it to be a virtue, god knows why) to believe in things without any kind of basis, support, logic or reasoning behind them. I wonder if that's just because the brain is an imperfect machine or what.

If you strip it back to it's fundamentals, the tendency towards seeing patterns everywhere, to abstracting from next to nothing and to think heuristically instead of logically is one of the best features we've got going for us. Sure it makes the human brain easy to take advantage of, and more than a little bit crazy, but that crazy is world conquering. It's the last, best hope we've got against the inevitable octopus uprising.

I believe the octopuses want us all dead.

Low Key on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Veegeezee wrote: »
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Marty81 wrote: »
    That the system of mathematical logic that we use cannot lead to contradiction.

But that's provably false.

"x. x is false"

ZING!

I don't follow, but I'm curious. How's that work?
    The statement "x." assumes that x is true, contradicted by the next line.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Actually, I meant to refer to the liar paradox, and due to a quirk of my most recent encounter with it, I listed it as a statement.

It's a reference to the format :

1. Trees grow in the ground.
    2. Grass is green.
    3. I exist
    x. x is false.

It's more easily represented as "this statement is false" or as Russell's paradox, but t do the proper mathematical notation the efforts are too great.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I, too, believe the products on our shelves are not as good as they could be. Everything from pharmaceuticals to blenders are designed to be less than perfect so corporations can make a tad more profit. Competition doesn't make prices drop and products better when all the competitors secretly agree to not cross a line regarding quality.

I'm also a small believer of a Mad TV skit from years ago - a crazy drunk became the US president and the first thing he did, after making Germany the 53rd state, was infect the seven richest men in America with cancer. Within a week, there were four different cures for cancer. I believe we could wipe out a lot more diseases like malaria or cancer if companies weren't angling for profits at every step of development.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I believe that we could devise a way to stop aging and live forever. Although it wouldn't be forever as probability incists that something would eventually kill us.

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I, too, believe the products on our shelves are not as good as they could be. Everything from pharmaceuticals to blenders are designed to be less than perfect so corporations can make a tad more profit. Competition doesn't make prices drop and products better when all the competitors secretly agree to not cross a line regarding quality.

I'm also a small believer of a Mad TV skit from years ago - a crazy drunk became the US president and the first thing he did, after making Germany the 53rd state, was infect the seven richest men in America with cancer. Within a week, there were four different cures for cancer. I believe we could wipe out a lot more diseases like malaria or cancer if companies weren't angling for profits at every step of development.

Well said.

I also believe America could be a much better off and more well-liked country if we abandoned Capitalism. Corporations would probably get fucked too.

Shinyo on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I believe that I'm not a brain in a vat

(Apologies if that was already taken)

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Actually, I meant to refer to the liar paradox, and due to a quirk of my most recent encounter with it, I listed it as a statement.

2. Grass is green.
    3. I exist
    x. x is false.

It's more easily represented as "this statement is false" or as Russell's paradox, but t do the proper mathematical notation the efforts are too great.
    Ah. I was definitely thinking the period was just separating two portions of an argument.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I believe that I'm justified in my belief that there is no god even though my reasons for doing so have no basis in logic or reason.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I believe that I'm justified in my belief that there is no god even though my reasons for doing so have no basis in logic or reason.

Some wind blows into person A's eye and he says God touched him.

God pokes person B in the eye and person B says the wind did it.

:rotate:

emnmnme on
  • Options
    VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

2. Grass is green.
    3. I exist
    x. x is false.

ah, I gotcha. Russel's paradox makes a little better sense to me.

"A is an element of R if and only if A is not an element of A" ---> R = {A | A !Є A}

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    SolandraSolandra Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My dog is the best dog in the world.

(absolutely rock solid belief, quantifying against all other dogs in the world would be a pain - but why bother, since I know it's true?)

Solandra on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    What breed? If it's not a lab I don't believe you.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    ElohssaElohssa Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I believe that certain systems, such as Capitalism, are perfect until they become TOO efficient. When it took hundreds of employees to manage a corporation, the trickle down effect was awesome. When it take 10, not so much (though those 10 overworked freaks sure are smiling during their vacation time.)

Likewise labor unions, who went from being protectors to thugs, and the military industrial complex that used to employ thousands of labourers, and now employ hundreds of scientists, etc.

So I believe some aspects of inefficiency are good for the economy, overall.

Maybe that is provable.

Elohssa on
    Shaw's Principle: Build a system even a fool can use, and only a fool would want to use it.
  • Options
    ElohssaElohssa Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My girlfriend's two box turtles want me dead.

Elohssa on
    Shaw's Principle: Build a system even a fool can use, and only a fool would want to use it.
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I believe in a thing called love. :whistle:

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    SolandraSolandra Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    He's a Beagle/Lab mix, and got the best genes of both - Beagle sized, looks like a Lab puppy, has the energy of a Lab puppy, and is a very dignified 14 years old.

Solandra on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Solandra wrote: »
    He's a Beagle/Lab mix, and got the best genes of both - Beagle sized, looks like a Lab puppy, has the energy of a Lab puppy, and is a very dignified 14 years old.
    Well I suppose it's possible then.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Johannen wrote: »
    You are correct sir.

Pistols and dawn.

Shinto on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    I believe that despite the overt emphasis on materialism and creature comforts in western culture, there is still a subtle ascetic aspect to popular morality that pushes people towards pointless self-denial.

I believe that Puritanical attitudes towards sex result in people becoming deeply self-loathing in ways that aren't obviously connected to sex.

I believe these too.

MrMister on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Low Key wrote: »
    ArrBeeBee wrote: »
    I disagree with a good deal of that, Feral, but they're significantly less ridiculous than the average set of religious beliefs, so you're probably in the clear on the last one.

I think it's a fundamental human flaw (I would say flaw, although some people seem to consider it to be a virtue, god knows why) to believe in things without any kind of basis, support, logic or reasoning behind them. I wonder if that's just because the brain is an imperfect machine or what.

If you strip it back to it's fundamentals, the tendency towards seeing patterns everywhere, to abstracting from next to nothing and to think heuristically instead of logically is one of the best features we've got going for us. Sure it makes the human brain easy to take advantage of, and more than a little bit crazy, but that crazy is world conquering. It's the last, best hope we've got against the inevitable octopus uprising.

I believe the octopuses want us all dead.

You're right, of course. I hadn't looked at it that way. The octopi are in league with their colossal squid brethren.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Do you believe in magic?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Do you believe in magic?

I mean, come on. 7 pages. Don't think anyone's done it yet?

I'm not complaining. I rectifying.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I believe in God.

I believe in ghosts.

I do not believe in possessions, or poltergeists.

I believe that 'disrespecting' an object will lead it to fail on you.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I figure extraterrestial life has to exist in one form or another.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Johannen wrote: »
    You are correct sir.

Pistols and dawn.

I don't believe in pistols... or dawn.

Johannen on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    I believe sexual frustration is the root cause of all wars.

ege02 on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Google is not evil.

Google and my own interests are, in many areas, not in conflict.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I believe in love, it's all we've got

Fencingsax on