Options

What do you believe but cannot prove?

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I, too, believe the products on our shelves are not as good as they could be. Everything from pharmaceuticals to blenders are designed to be less than perfect so corporations can make a tad more profit. Competition doesn't make prices drop and products better when all the competitors secretly agree to not cross a line regarding quality.

I'm also a small believer of a Mad TV skit from years ago - a crazy drunk became the US president and the first thing he did, after making Germany the 53rd state, was infect the seven richest men in America with cancer. Within a week, there were four different cures for cancer. I believe we could wipe out a lot more diseases like malaria or cancer if companies weren't angling for profits at every step of development.

I really, truly, believe you're not as far above entropykid and other conspiracy theorists as you'd like to think.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I, too, believe the products on our shelves are not as good as they could be. Everything from pharmaceuticals to blenders are designed to be less than perfect so corporations can make a tad more profit. Competition doesn't make prices drop and products better when all the competitors secretly agree to not cross a line regarding quality.

I'm also a small believer of a Mad TV skit from years ago - a crazy drunk became the US president and the first thing he did, after making Germany the 53rd state, was infect the seven richest men in America with cancer. Within a week, there were four different cures for cancer. I believe we could wipe out a lot more diseases like malaria or cancer if companies weren't angling for profits at every step of development.

I really, truly, believe you're not as far above entropykid and other conspiracy theorists as you'd like to think.
    Planned obsolescence has been around since the 1920's.
    :P

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Elendil wrote: »
    I figure extraterrestial life has to exist in one form or another.

I think this is a pretty weak belief. I mean just in terms of our solar system, there are several areas where life in some form probably exists. In the universe? I think its practially a given that life exists somewhere out there The more interesting (and stronger belief) would be if there is intelligent life out there somewhere that we will be able to have a meaningful conversation with, and will humanity ever find it.

While I certainly hope so, its not something I believe will happen.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Elendil wrote: »
    I figure extraterrestial life has to exist in one form or another.

I think this is a pretty weak belief. I mean just in terms of our solar system, there are several areas where life in some form probably exists. In the universe? I think its practially a given that life exists somewhere out there
    Exactly why I'm willing to believe it without proof. :P
    The more interesting (and stronger belief) would be if there is intelligent life out there somewhere that we will be able to have a meaningful conversation with, and will humanity ever find it.

While I certainly hope so, its not something I believe will happen.
    I do doubt it.

Elendil on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, I believe in extraterrestial life too.

Also, I believe in supernatural things in one form or another.

But you have the Creepiest Thing You've Ever Seen to blame for that.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Planned obsolescence has been around since the 1920's.
    :P

It's also a radically different concept to "design it to break down"

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    NiramiNirami Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I believe that all statistically significant psychological differences between the sexes are purely caused by upbringing and the social environment.

I can't prove it though, until we raise a large enough number of kids in total isolation from our society by loving and caring parents who are secretly robots with no preconceptions. :(

Nirami on
    (Being with you is hell)
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    ege02 wrote: »
    I believe sexual frustration is the root cause of all wars.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm sure sexual frustration played a part in causing many a war, but, do you really believe things like power, money, territory, fame and etc. are all just pretenses for war? And sexual frustration is what it's really all about?
    Nirami wrote: »
    I believe that all statistically significant psychological differences between the sexes are purely caused by upbringing and the social environment.

The feminist in my agrees wholeheartedly.

I also believe, that, no matter what, if you try hard enough, practice long enough, push yourself, and so on you can excel in pretty much anything, within reason of course. Now, I'll say that some people have a natural aptitude towards certain things, and some learn things faster then others, but I'd say slow learning more has to do with self imposed mental blocks more than anything else.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm sure sexual frustration played a part in causing many a war, but, do you really believe things like power, money, territory, fame and etc. are all just pretenses for war? And sexual frustration is what it's really all about?

What does more power get you? The ability to order more wenches around
    More money? Buy more wenches
    Fame? The wenches throw themselves at you
    Territory gets you all on the above, except in a large, predefined area.

Wenches make the world go 'round.

Back on topic, I believe a sort of universal karma/balance system. Every thing has a equal reaction, good or bad. The goal at the end is to have everything in balance.

ronzo on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    I believe relativism is the key to moral and intellectual balance.

I believe that every single moment spent living, no matter how agonizingly painful or crushingly depressing, is better than dying.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    ronzo wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »

What does more power get you? The ability to order more wenches around
    More money? Buy more wenches
    Fame? The wenches throw themselves at you
    Territory gets you all on the above, except in a large, predefined area.

Wenches make the world go 'round.

Back on topic, I believe a sort of universal karma/balance system. Every thing has a equal reaction, good or bad. The goal at the end is to have everything in balance.

I was under the impression that the sixteenth century taverns that produced wenches had all shut down.

Shinto on
  • Options
    fakepointfakepoint Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If you believe that everything in the world revolves around women and getting laid then what about the priests who abstain from sex? ( please dont give me and answer like "TEH BOYZ HEH HEH") What motivates them?
    If the world seeks to arrive at a balance between two forces would be nice and simple, however things in the real world aren't as black and white as that would make it seem.

I believe for everything single thing you believe there will be at least one person who will disagree for the sake of disagreeing.

fakepoint on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Guys, ege is pretty much just blaming the problems of the world on women being too picky. I wouldn't read too much more into it.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    I believe relativism is the key to moral and intellectual balance.

I believe that every single moment spent living, no matter how agonizingly painful or crushingly depressing, is better than dying.

I believe that you're phenomenally wrong on both counts.

MrMister on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    one could, almost, through rather weaselly logic and interpretations of words, make the argument that desire for reproductive prosperity is a prime motivator of all human actions, and that sexual frustration is a more earthly manifestation of that.

err.... maybe.
    Kazhiim wrote:
    MrMister wrote: »

I believe that you're phenomenally wrong on both counts.

I'm not sure how much of The Apology of Socrates I should quote.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    fakepointfakepoint Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Wouldnt you have to make the assumption then that man bases his whole life around his instincts, and thinks with the other head.
    In doing so you completely sell the whole human race short.

fakepoint on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    That doesn't mean it isn't true.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    fakepoint wrote: »
    Wouldnt you have to make the assumption then that man bases his whole life around his instincts, and thinks with the other head.
    In doing so you completely sell the whole human race short.
    me? no not really.

awww... did Jeeps find someone?

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I believe that love can bloom on the battlefield.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    GorgeeenGorgeeen __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    I believe there is a Master Chief out there in the universe, fighting to save a galaxy, right as we type this.

Gorgeeen on
    No god damnit! The sheriff is a nig*Church Bells*r!!
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Pensies are "just kinda ugly" any way you slice it.

Or don't slice it.
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I believe I see the future in dreams. It's all mundane crap, and makes no sense when I'm dreaming it though. Weeks or months later, though, whatever I dreamt happens. Frankly I'd rather dream about something nifty.

Though I suppose I could prove it if I kept a dream journal and recorded everything I did, but what's the point?

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Campion wrote: »
    I believe I see the future in dreams. It's all mundane crap, and makes no sense when I'm dreaming it though. Weeks or months later, though, whatever I dreamt happens. Frankly I'd rather dream about something nifty.

Though I suppose I could prove it if I kept a dream journal and recorded everything I did, but what's the point?

If you dream about mundane things, then yeah, it's pretty much guaranteed that you're going to associate those dreams with the things that happen to you later.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    ArrBeeBee wrote: »
    Campion wrote: »

If you dream about mundane things, then yeah, it's pretty much guaranteed that you're going to associate those dreams with the things that happen to you later.

Let me add words to that then. My dreams are normally dream like and kooky. My "future dreams" are mundane. I am not just associating these dreams with what happens later, they are exactly what happens later.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    Guys, ege is pretty much just blaming the problems of the world on women being too picky. I wouldn't read too much more into it.

I don't think he's entirely accurate, but I also don't think what you say is necessarily an accurate assessment of his position.

I believe that, the further ahead I try to plan, the more unsuccessful I will be.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I'd like to sign up for this entropykid's monthly newsletter. He sounds like and A-OK Joe. If you'll excuse me, I have to go and pull out my fillings with pliers.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    GroovyMr1337GroovyMr1337 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Quoted from tenacious D
    "Do you believe in god?"
    "I believe in god. I believe in god."

GroovyMr1337 on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I believe that the mind is a seperate substance from the body.

I know that some of the things I believe are wrong, because it's statistically implausible that I'm right about everything. But I believe everything I believe, therefore I believe that everything I believe is right.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I kinda believe that existence has no end. Our consciousness doesn't go poof, is just limited in certain ways. By kinda, I mean I wish it did go poof but I just don't believe it does.

Eternity seems like a terrible thing to go through, no matter what limits our consciousness has. I have this one dread of having to relive the life everyone that has existed and will ever exist.

It just seems like overall suffering trounces overall joy like a motherfucker. But then what do I know? I have more than most in the world and I'm still not happy with that.

Hoz on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I believe there is an old hermit living in the mountains with a cure to every disease known (and unknown) to man, and that he's never going to share it with anyone.

Damn you, old man!

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    AbsurdistAbsurdist Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I believe that people other than myself are capable of introspective thought, although it's impossible to prove.

Absurdist on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Typing google into google breaks the internet

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My god he is right.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Confirmin' 'dis.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    SuaveSuave __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    I believe we are really one entity experiencing itself subjectively, we are a zoomed in "point" of an infinite fractal, I believe that non-existence doesn't exist and that there is no conclusion to this journey but it goes on for eternity and infinity and we are God and God has become schizophrenic from seperating in to so many different entities but we are working our way back to unity and psychedelic drugs are the key to our next evolution which is an inward evolution.

That our future lies in different strands, one strand could be super spiritual people and another strand could be super technological people but in general human evolution is undefined which means we have no way of imagining the future.

Suave on
    love is the only way
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I believe immortality need be less about absolute preservation of ones consciousness. Consciousness is a process, reaction to a myriad of stimuli and development of patterns of action. To live forever, I don't need to duplicate my mind, worry about where my real "self" is, or any of that bullshit - I simply have to influence people to remember, and more crucially, think, as I do.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    I believe that the tendency towards social isolation in modern life renders a significant portion of the population unable to recognise the needs of other people as valid.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Religion, lol.

Ghosts, lol.

Aliens, lol.

Soul, lol.

General silly superstitions, lol.

I'm just going to leave out all the "scientific" stuff I generally believe to be true, but have no way of proving, as I'm an idiot.

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    ShinyoShinyo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I believe that the tendency towards social isolation in modern life renders a significant portion of the population unable to recognise the needs of other people as valid.

If this is true, I believe I'm the exception.

Shinyo on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I believe that if you're complaining you can't afford a house in Sydney due to rent and that it costs you $2000 each time you have to move then you're probably not fiscally creative enough to afford a house period, and it's not the rent that's killing you.

Also that you're contributing to the stereotype of Ba Arts students everywhere.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I believe that the tendency towards social isolation in modern life renders a significant portion of the population unable to recognize the needs of other people as valid.

That might not be impossible to prove. Seems to be a psychological statistics assignment. There are some communes in the western world that are really social, so you might even rule out 'cultural' differences. Of course you might define such a commune as a different culture within a culture. Since tendency for social isolation can be a cultural thing you could compare between cultures just as well.

For my answer to the topic: I believe that even with a totally materialistic view on human consciousness and 'the soul', reincarnation is not ruled out. If you believe we are made of matter in a certain ordering, it is not inconceivable that in the far far future (maybe not until after several 'generations' of universes) the same matter comes together in a similar way to reform a similar consciousness. We might not remember our past lives, but at least we are not left to the void, if conservation of mass/energy holds up.

Since we actually don't know yet how our consciousness works the ball is still out on this one. And I don't actually believe this (agnostic on it), but it just shows you can have traditionally 'religious' phenomena in a materialistic world and it is interesting because of that.

peterdevore on