As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why PAX sucked and will always suck.

SmallKiwiSmallKiwi Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in PAX Archive
Because theres too much to do. I went the entire weekend without ever visiting the handheld lounge or the tabletop gaming floor, both of which I plan to do next year. The trick is, how will I be able to fit that into my already packed schedule?? Between the concerts and tournaments and the excellent exhibition hall and the many many panels that I missed, when will I have a chance to do them? ARGH! PAX Sucks.

SmallKiwi on

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited September 2007
    You're not the only person who suffers from these problems. PAX is packed with so much awesome that often, there is a schedule conflict between four different things I want to see. Sometimes you just have to go with which one is more awesome. I remember there being at least two things I wanted to do at any given time. Now I just need a time machine to go back and do all the things that I missed.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Like Moe said, there's so much awesome activity packed into this weekend that prioritization is really vital. I've been to other cons where I've filled at least half of the time with non-convention activities, in the downtime between their awesome stuff-- which wasn't even really that awesome.

After 3 years, I'm still missing out on stuff I wanted to check out because I just can't do it all. If you would say PAX sucks because of the amount of awesome things you have to pick and choose from-- I'd say that's what makes it so great. I found that the best way to keep time open when you want to take part in something, is to limit the time you spend doing things you already spend plenty of time doing at home.

b0wser on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    PAX SUCKS BECAUSE IT'S ON THE WEST COAST AND HONESTLY THAT'S LIKE ENTIRELY NOT THE EAST COAST WWAAAAAH

Brolo on
  • Options
    randomguyrandomguy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Rolo wrote: »
    PAX SUCKS BECAUSE IT'S ON THE WEST COAST AND HONESTLY THAT'S LIKE ENTIRELY NOT THE EAST COAST WWAAAAAH

hahaha. just drive there man. i did.

randomguy on
    "i ate your babies princess."
  • Options
    SamyelSamyel Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    PAX sucks because they provided so many things that I want that I had to make choices instead of being spoon-fed entertainment! WHAA!

Seriously though, I feel your pain. I find it best to just go wtih the flow at PAX and do what you're in the mood to do, not what you planned to do. I did have a few tough calls, like "go to concert" vs "go turn into a puddle of semi-conscious goo in a beanbag."

Samyel on
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
  • Options
    nearlysobernearlysober Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Longer exhibition hall hours FTW!

I know one of the reasons it closed at 6pm this year was so people could host "after parties"... but only a portion of the masses can enjoy those. And I know the people working in the exhibition hall are, well working (or volunteering) for their represented companies... so having it open until 1am would suck for them.

But an extra hour or two of exhibition hall time would be magical and give attendees more flexibility in what events & panels they want to attend or skip.

nearlysober on
  • Options
    CleverNickNameCleverNickName Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You ever go into a bar, and there are about 50 awesome beers on tap?

You know that you want to try them all, but unless you're a level 14 Super Drinker with the Frat Guy Feat, you're not getting more than five or maybe six different beers in you before you fail to save vs. gravity, proclaim your love of everything and pass out.

So what do you do to solve this vexing conundrum?

You go back more than once and try a different set of beers each time.

CleverNickName on
    Wil says, "Don't be a dick!"
  • Options
    ScotasianglishScotasianglish Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I know one of the reasons it closed at 6pm this year was so people could host "after parties"... but only a portion of the masses can enjoy those. And I know the people working in the exhibition hall are, well working (or volunteering) for their represented companies... so having it open until 1am would suck for them.

But an extra hour or two of exhibition hall time would be magical and give attendees more flexibility in what events & panels they want to attend or skip.

As a former attendee, I can agree that sometimes that hall feels like it couldn't be open long enough.

But as an exhibitor, it's a long haul: a lot of people were in there well before the 10am opening time setting up, or getting pre-game meetings going in full force, and a lot of people were at work until well after as well. I salute those guys and gals who soldiered on through the weekend: for a lot of people, it was 10-12 hour workdays at least.

Scotasianglish on
    The original chinese-welsh-scotsman with a japanese last name.
  • Options
    petfishpetfish Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

As a former attendee, I can agree that sometimes that hall feels like it couldn't be open long enough.

But as an exhibitor, it's a long haul: a lot of people were in there well before the 10am opening time setting up, or getting pre-game meetings going in full force, and a lot of people were at work until well after as well. I salute those guys and gals who soldiered on through the weekend: for a lot of people, it was 10-12 hour workdays at least.

Yeah, most of the exhibitors were understandably exhausted by Sunday evening - while Sunday night at PAX means the final round of the Omegathon and some time hanging out or meeting up with friends you met that weekend for most people going to PAX, it means packing up what's left of your booth and checking what's left of your feet if you're an exhibitor. It's tough work. Crazy fun, but tough.

I had a blast this year and very few regrets, I think it helps a little to go in knowing you'll probably have to make some difficult choices and possibly miss some stuff you wanted to see. It makes the rest of it that much more awesome!

petfish on
    <khoo> PAX WAS LIKE A ZILLION DAYS
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    _______moe wrote: »
    You're not the only person who suffers from these problems. PAX is packed with so much awesome that often, there is a schedule conflict between four different things I want to see. Sometimes you just have to go with which one is more awesome. I remember there being at least two things I wanted to do at any given time. Now I just need a time machine to go back and do all the things that I missed.

Its not just that. Last year there was really far too much. Too much omegathon spilling over onto other events. I was frustrated about some of the tournaments but eh. Being grumpy about it doesn't help. If I can help in anyway to "un-double" pax personally I will.

I complain about the HDTS but thats because it clearly takes up too much time from all my other pax activities.

Deal with it, I wish there was an easy answer to all of this but there isn't. I may just suck it up and not do the handheld tournament *shrug* As long as there is a halo 3 tournament next year.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Wait... you're complaining because it's too much of a good thing? That's just crazy! If you missed some stuff... well hopefully it's going on the PAX DVD. If not, I know I've said otherwise, but it's damn awesome that I honestly have to play my whole weekend out at PAX and then throw that plan out the window and let PAX take hold. If you really don't know what to go and see / do, try and hit the stuff that might be one time only sort of things... Like this year I had a friend in the Omegathon... how many more times is that going to happen? Not many. So that took point on the weekend. anyway... enough rambling...

I remember somebody asked G&T about this during the Media Q&A... I wonder if I still have that audio on my recorder....

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    BamboozaBambooza Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    PAX continues to add even more creamy goodness to its already very full weekend... I imagine soon it will have to explode to a whole week event for the vast awesomeness found at PAX cannot be contained with in the 3 days so far allotted with out violating some Einstein law of space and time.

Bambooza on
    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
  • Options
    AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    That is the only possible solution. It simply needs to become PAX week. And to stay open 24 hours a day.

They should do that, and make staying awake a competition. Last person awake and at PAX who was there at opening (and isn't using non-caffine drugs to stay awake) wins.

Aydr on
  • Options
    julzeratorjulzerator Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Aydr wrote: »
    That is the only possible solution. It simply needs to become PAX week. And to stay open 24 hours a day.

They should do that, and make staying awake a competition. Last person awake and at PAX who was there at opening (and isn't using non-caffine drugs to stay awake) wins.

No... we still want people to shower... for the love of god!

Next year, I'm so not working. I will go, and have fun! (At least that is what I'm telling myself this year!)

julzerator on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    julzerator wrote: »
    Aydr wrote: »

No... we still want people to shower... for the love of god!

Next year, I'm so not working. I will go, and have fun! (At least that is what I'm telling myself this year!)

Damn, I forgot about that part. Maybe people can have hour-long breaks to go take a shower or something? Or they could just use wet-naps in the bathroom. That could work.

Aydr on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    There's so much to do, I'm actually deterred from being a volunteer because I'm afraid I'll miss more.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    There's so much to do, I'm actually deterred from being a volunteer because I'm afraid I'll miss more.

I know exactly what you mean. I'm torn on if I want to be an enforcer or not, because I'm afraid I'll miss out on too much.

Aydr on
  • Options
    NephirijNephirij Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Y'see, this is why they put out a dvd. that way, you can see all the awesome that you missed before.

Nephirij on
  • Options
    strangemusicstrangemusic Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Bambooza wrote: »
    PAX continues to add even more creamy goodness to its already very full weekend... I imagine soon it will have to explode to a whole week event for the vast awesomeness found at PAX cannot be contained with in the 3 days so far allotted with out violating some Einstein law of space and time.

I recall that Tycho and Gabe stated at one of the 06 panels that a week's worth of PAX would be too insane from a logistical standpoint, and a holy-shit-this-is-tiring standpoint. Frankly I would love a week of PAX too but can you imagine the effort necessitated by both the attendees (convention frenzy for a week!) and the organizers?

IMHO one weekend is already Absolutely Goddamn Glorious.

strangemusic on
    "Always be wary of people who use quotes... I don't know who said that" - Murdoc Nicalls.
    Those Eve guys are creepy. :|
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Oh I agree it would be crazy from a logistical standpoint as well as the tiring of the support staff let alone watching enforcers drop dead as they attempt to give all they got.

But to think PAX is already starting to creep into a week event on its own accord as the attendants continue to come up with things on their own to do before and after PAX. And I have a feeling as this slow creep establishes itself will simply end up taking over all of Seattle and turning it into Paxtopia.

Bambooza on
    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
  • Options
    b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    As much as I would enjoy PAX being a week, I kinda like Khoo to be in his current state of "being alive".

b0wser on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    PAX would easily need to have five times it's current staff to maintain something like that, plus I don't think they could run the exhibition hall for that whole time either. I don't think the exhibitors would be able to stand after four days of running the hall, let alone a week. Not to mention having to be out of the office. The current state of community-run events works out for the way things are. And yes, I don't think Khoo could survive a week of PAX.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    PAX2025: Attack of the Khlones.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    SoulFurySoulFury Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Liger wrote: »

I want to be a Khlone!

SoulFury on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Main reason you dont want pax to be a week.

Clones of BigRed.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    BigRed wrote: »
    Main reason you dont want pax to be a week.

Clones of BigRed.

If that's the case, we'll have to order Bawls WAY in advance to make sure they manufacture enough in time.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Better put that order in now.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    PAX would easily need to have five times it's current staff to maintain something like that, plus I don't think they could run the exhibition hall for that whole time either. I don't think the exhibitors would be able to stand after four days of running the hall, let alone a week. Not to mention having to be out of the office. The current state of community-run events works out for the way things are. And yes, I don't think Khoo could survive a week of PAX.

not a week how about another day? Just a single day more would make pax a ton less crowded. Open thursday instead of friday. I would support this in every way I could, I would become an enforcer to help that cause and put personal time and effort into this.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

not a week how about another day? Just a single day more would make pax a ton less crowded. Open thursday instead of friday. I would support this in every way I could, I would become an enforcer to help that cause and put personal time and effort into this.

Ah, but friend you forget what I said elsewhere: Labor Day weekend. Monday.

Even if they would be competing with DCon.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    smessmes Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    They why you need multiple PAXes to get the full experience. Only in 2009 will I have got the full PAX effect.

smes on
  • Options
    LittlePKLittlePK Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I thought it sucked because it was right across the street from the Cheese Cake Factory. Ugg, I ate waaaay to much cheese cake. I knew when I started viewing the desert menu as a checklist that I had gone way to far.

LittlePK on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    LittlePK wrote: »
    I thought it sucked because it was right across the street from the Cheese Cake Factory. Ugg, I ate waaaay to much cheese cake. I knew when I started viewing the desert menu as a checklist that I had gone way to far.

Dessert menu as a checklist? How did you even afford to go that far? That place is expensive.

Aydr on
  • Options
    super...super... __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    well i think all the double booking at PAX really helps the crowd control. if you really want to see or do something you still have the chance to do at least that one thing for that part of the day, sure you may miss something else but you will at least get to do that one thing because everyone is making that hard choice and that really disperses the crowd.

The lines this year were totally optional and that is one reason pax kicked so much but this year.

Trust me back in 04 I would have really hated to miss the concert and I know for a fact that the majority of the people at PAX 04 missed the concert because the theater was too small and no other events were playing opposite it.

it's a far grater sin for a con to have blocks of time where there is nothing to do

super... on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    And here I was thinking this whole time that it was a sin to tease us with such warm goodness only once a year.

Bambooza on
This discussion has been closed.