As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Yasumi Matsuno returns to make you hate strategy games???

SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
edited November 2007 in Games and Technology
DOUBLE YEEEEEAAAAAAAAARR!!!!!

NEW INFO

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206412
Hey Bruce,

Glad to see you’re back in action after a bit of a break. What’s gaming without a few rumours, eh? So, recently you pretty much asked for readers to send in hard questions, and I’m guessing that’s exactly what most of us are going to do. The gloves are really off now.

Here’s my question: What exactly is the deal with Monolithsoft and Nintendo? At this point, all we know is that Monolith is now a second-party developer and that they’re working on Disaster: Day of Crisis for the Wii, and a DS game as well. Now, anyone would think that Nintendo acquiring the studio means Day of Crisis is turning out to be one hell of a game. However, the chaps down at NeoGAF had other theories to present.

To make a long story short, this is what they believe:

* Yasumi Matsuno, the Director of Final Fantasy XII left Square Enix.
* Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has been pushing for a role-playing game that rivals Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy
* Matsuno landed up at Nintendo.
* He worked with Entertainment Analysis & Development for 8 months.
* Soon, Matsuno pitched a role-playing game tech demo to Nintendo.
* Iwata loved it, but Matsuno had no team of his own at the Big N.
* Nintendo acquired Monolith to provide Matsuno with his own team.

Sounds far-fetched doesn’t it? I’m not ready to believe Matsuno would walk out from Square and next thing you know, he just happens to land up with Miyamoto’s team. Obviously, it would be mindblowing if anyone could confirm if this is true, but hey; that’s where you come in, right? Right?

– Ishaan Sahdev

Bruce’s Take:

Interesting you ask this, because it’s been something that I’ve been dodging to answer for a while now. Not because of the subject, but because so many things weren’t as clear when Monolith had just been picked up by Nintendo from Namco Bandai.

This is what I hear, with the source being a former producer at Namco Bandai who had caught wind of some of Matsuno’s developments. Unforunately, that producer no longer works for the company and now works for a certain San Francisco-based gaming mammoth. Still, his reports on this have been recent tinkerings of rumors brought to the table with numerous publications and forums aiming to judge their validity.

Here’s what I was told:

- Yasumi Matsuno left Square-Enix because the guy’s an opportunist. After seeing potential with the Wii, the former FFXII director decided to aim towards a brand-new, non-linear RPG project.

- Many sources have claimed the project to be Vision Red, a rumored Square-Enix RPG “apparently” shown at E3 2007. That is not the case, and the original post is clearly fictional based on its written structure.

- Some sources have claimed it to be Baten Kaitos 3, but this isn’t the case, even though I know for a fact that the game is already in its beginning stages.

- Disaster: Day of Crisis was delayed for a reason. The game will use the familiar “quick-press” Resident Evil 4 quick-reaction system to further immerse the player with a sense of danger and urgency. The game will release sometime in 2008, but it will definitely be before Matsuno’s actual new IP is announced. This is to test the waters towards interest of Disaster’s type of gameplay, which the new IP hopes to mimic in a more advanced way.

- Matsuno interest in the Wii is simple: “He wants to stress gameplay controls living up to high-quality, immersive environments.”

- So where does this leave us with the rumored Matsuno “Final Fantasy Killer?”

The new IP, at least in its design stages stressed the following elements of a brand-new RPG franchise aimed at a late-2008 announcement:

- A fully-immersive non-linear action-RPG set in a brand, new fantasy world which stresses the continuity of gameplay progression through team work and motion-controlling movements, mimicking interactions with objects and environments in the world. The game will be played in real-time, unlike Matsuno’s previous turn-based projects (Ogre Tactics, Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story)

- The game is not currently planned for an expansion with an online aspect (MMO), but multiplayer gameplay is heavily stressed. “Imagine Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures (GameCube) with a 3D environment.”

- Definite Wii Connect 24 support with brand new worlds to explore and interacting with other players.

- Being developed by Monolith Soft and Matsuno with Iwata and Miyamoto’s supervision possibly.

- Clearly obvious: Will be Nintendo Wii’s direct competitor to the PS3’s Final Fantasy XIII releases.

- If all goes well, will be planned as a series for the Wii and differentiate the system’s low reputation for RPGs on the console. A DS version is also in the planning stages simultaneously.

- So when will gamers be able to hear more? It’s hard to tell given even Disaster’s shaky release date, but expect GDC 08 to have more rumblings of Matsuno’s involvement with his Wii project.

The EGM rumor is definitely a bit more plausible, but at least this one sheds some light on the details a bit. Monolith would be a good place for him to start. They know the architecture, they're competent, they've made plenty of RPGs before. Miyamoto, Matsuno, and the makers of Baten Kaitos working on a new IP/RPG for Nintendo?

Didn't N mention they had a new IP in the works a few months back?

I figured Nintendo bought out Monolith specifically because they make RPGs. Coupling them with Matsuno would be brilliant. It's not like Matsuno hasn't worked on a Nintendo platform before! He's also stated that he wants to work on the Wii!

I'm merely a bit skeptical about this rumor, though. The way the game is being described doesn't sound like a Matsuno game. But you never know!

OLD INFO

Er... It's Square-Enix, but the "Ogre Battle" team. Which is just as fitting. I dunno about you guys, but I've been harking on how the DS is perfect for a new Ogre Battle game, and the Wii would make a good home just as well.

Now, there's no guarantee that it will be Ogre Battle or Tactics Ogre. But Goddamn, son. Why would the Ogre Battle team not make an Ogre Battle game? I would totally be wet right now if it were physically possible.
Wrap Up-
R&C: Tools of Destruction-taking a step back to make a huge step forward
Tony Hawk Whatever- Better than Skate
HL 2 Orange Box-basically say it's perfect
Victorious Boxers Revolution on Wii- wii still needs a good ring king
Dewy's Adventure- mixed feelings
Beautiful Katamari-should be an XBLA game
Folklore-not triple A, but good
NBA 2k8-looking awesome
Juiced 2: pretty good with new stuff added
Soul Nomad and the World Eaters (PSP)-hardcore strategists only
Phoenix Wright 3- confusing if you haven't played the others, but still fun
Front mission 1st-a lot of fun

Rumors: viva pinata party on wii
Goty version of bioshock on 360 with stuff that was gonna be in the nixed ps3 version
ogre battle team to work on a wii strategy game
Obsidian working on a CIA game

http://boards.1up.com/zd/board/message?board.id=games&thread.id=383614

While I normally hold EGM rumors with a grain of salt (how many times did they get my hopes up about a localized Mother 3?) but I am totally willing to toss that out of the window for hopeless optimism in the face of adversity.

Sheep on

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Developing my own strategy for whomping Ogre Battle was one of my proudest moments in that era of gaming.

The AI had nothing on my blitzkrieg circle of death.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    When I was younger, I rented two games for my PSX one time: Ogre Battle and FFVII. After playing a few hours of each, I tossed FFVII aside and ran straight out and bought my own copy of Ogre Battle. It never even occured to my young mind that FFVII could possibly be seen as the superior game.

This makes me happy in my pants, no matter what IP it comes from.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    *blink*

These schmucks honestly think Viva Pinata Party is coming to Wii?

That's it, I'm never believing anything in their rumor section again.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    *blink*

Umm...they're releasing a Viva Pinata game on the DS, so I wouldn't say it's impossible.

I don't get the EGM hate, but I've been reading EGM since forever. In a time before the internet, when the only other real option was GamePro. D:

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    *blink*

What's worse is that EGM takes at least five times out an issue to point to a time when Q-Mann was right about one of their obviously-coming-from-a-mile-away rumors.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    yeah I fail to see why it's so unbelievable that microsoft would release a game on one nintendo system and not another, especially when they're going to make money off it no matter what system it's for

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Nickle wrote: »

I don't get the EGM hate, but I've been reading EGM since forever. In a time before the internet, when the only other real option was GamePro. D:

Considering Gamepro was a better magazine in those times than EGM, now EGM is better even just because of 1up.com

Lothars on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    *blink*

Umm...they're releasing a Viva Pinata game on the DS, so I wouldn't say it's impossible.

The DS isn't competing with a Microsoft product. The Wii is. That's why some of Microsoft's properties have wound up on Nintendo's portable systems. But bringing Viva Pinata Party to the Wii would have Microsoft paying to develop a game that would potentially take sales away from the 360 version.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Gamepro was never better than anything.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Lothars wrote: »

Considering Gamepro was a better magazine in those times than EGM, now EGM is better even just because of 1up.com

pfft. GamePro sucked, and it will always suck.

And wait a minute...People hate EGM because the RUMORS section is sometimes incorrect? I could maybe understand if it were called the FACTS section.

e: but Moore kept telling us that they weren't competing with the Wii. I remember something about them loving the Wii60 idea. (@ cloudeagle). And it's sure not selling a lot of units on the 360, if they're gonna put money in the game, they should put it on the console where it might have a chance.

Nickle on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

And wait a minute...People hate EGM because the RUMORS section is sometimes incorrect? I could maybe understand if it were called the FACTS section.

yeah, I liked EGM until the internet made gaming magazines worthless. I dunno why all the hate.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

When the Super Nintendo was big, Gamepro was 10x better than EGM but Gamepro has sucked for so many years now but there was a point that it really was great, it wasn't long but it was there.

Lothars on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Truth. I remember when Gamepro put Street Fighter III on the cover... three years before the damn game was even announced. It was just two pages of them blathering on about what they would like to see.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

yeah, I liked EGM until the internet made gaming magazines worthless. I dunno why all the hate.

The internet made gaming magazines obsolete, yes. I still keep my sub active, though, so I have something to read whilst defacating.

Nickle on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    yeah, they basically give them away these days anyhow.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    *blink*

The DS isn't competing with a Microsoft product. The Wii is. That's why some of Microsoft's properties have wound up on Nintendo's portable systems. But bringing Viva Pinata Party to the Wii would have Microsoft paying to develop a game that would potentially take sales away from the 360 version.
    No one buys Viva Pinata on the 360 anyway because it has no guns.

It'll make MS more money on the Wii.

In any case I'm pretty hyped fora game with substance to come out on the Wii. Referring of course to Ogre Battle and not Viva Pinata.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    tendoboy101tendoboy101 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    What I'm confused on is how they say how the new TH is better than Skate. Seriously. What. And Dan Hsu's review scores and such but thats minor.

tendoboy101 on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I went back and beat Ogre Battle 64 on the N64 last year. Took me about 4 months because it was so fucking slow.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    darkgruedarkgrue Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

People hate EGM for a number of reasons: partly because they couldn't seem to keep the rumors confined to the section that was marked "rumors"; partly because they thought April 1st was so funny they'd celebrate it every issue; and partly because, as you mentioned, you can get a lot better than a bunch of glossy ads (a few of which are actually for games and not AXE body spray) pasted together with some filler text for free on teh interwebs these days.

Paying for the print version of the GameFAQs forums does not for <3 make.

darkgrue on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Truth. I remember when Gamepro put Street Fighter III on the cover... three years before the damn game was even announced. It was just two pages of them blathering on about what they would like to see.

I remember when they called X-Com a "sim game where you populate a planet with aliens".

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Im sorry but Id be a little more than suspicious of a 'rumour' when it is listed in a lit which included a first party Microsoft title on its main competitors console.

Erm. No, in other words. I dont believe any of it.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2007
    this is a lie

i mean, they said Tony Hawk's Proving Ground is better than skate

and I don't see how that's possible

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Im sorry but Id be a little more than suspicious of a 'rumour' when it is listed in a lit which included a first party Microsoft title on its main competitors console.

Erm. No, in other words. I dont believe any of it.

Well, they always said they weren't really competing with the Wii, and even endorsed the Wii60. Besides that, on which console do you think Viva Pinata would make the most money for them? It sure as hell didn't sell to 360 owners.

Nickle on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I can imagine MS allowing Viva to hit the Wii - afterall if you put the property out there to Nintendo fans and they like it, there's always a chance that they will pick up a 360 to play the original game. They spent a ton of money making the game/characters, they might as well recoup some of it, even if it is by putting it on a competitor's console. I can't think of a situation where allowing it to hit the Wii would hurt them or their console sales in anyway.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    darkgrue wrote: »

People hate EGM for a number of reasons: partly because they couldn't seem to keep the rumors confined to the section that was marked "rumors"; partly because they thought April 1st was so funny they'd celebrate it every issue; and partly because, as you mentioned, you can get a lot better than a bunch of glossy ads (a few of which are actually for games and not AXE body spray) pasted together with some filler text for free on teh interwebs these days.

Paying for the print version of the GameFAQs forums does not for <3 make.

to be fair I stopped reading it in like, 2002. I see the current issues and I'm like, what is this, 8 pages? I've got an issue from 1998, and that fucker could choke a horse.

and those april fools jokes are so easy to spot. Sonic in Melee? The wind waker remake? fucking yeah right.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, I have to admit I don't enjoy EGM nearly as much since they trimmed it down. EGMs used to be HUGE.

I get it for free, though, so it's still good bathroom reading material.

Anyways, I've never played an Ogre Battle game, should I? I knew of them, but I just never got around to it, and I do enjoy strategy games.

If I were to pick one ogre game, what should it be?

Nickle on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I haven't paid for EGM in years.

It just kept coming. So does Game Informer. So, I mean. The few exclusives they have are always good for a read on the terlet.

Sadly, the only game that is easy to access is Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis (GBA) and Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen (SNES). Both are good, but different. I'd say go for March of the Black Queen simply for the experience of traditional Ogre Battle gameplay.

If you ever come across Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (PSX) or Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber, I'd grab them. Those are the two best out of the four (not counting Ogre Battle: Legend of the Zenobia Prince).

Obviously, the two with Tactics in it's name are tactical. March of the Black Queen, Person of Lordly Caliber, Legend of the Zenobia Prince are real time.

Sheep on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    March of the Black Queen was actually released on PSX as well, might be slightly easier to find (and almost surely easier to play since it doesn't involve dragging your SNES out of whatever closet it's crammed into).

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Sleep wrote: »

It just kept coming. So does Game Informer. So, I mean. The few exclusives they have are always good for a read on the terlet.

Sadly, the only game that is easy to access is Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis (GBA) and Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen (SNES). Both are good, but different. I'd say go for March of the Black Queen simply for the experience of traditional Ogre Battle gameplay.

If you ever come across Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (PSX) or Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber, I'd grab them. Those are the two best out of the four (not counting Ogre Battle: Legend of the Zenobia Prince).

Obviously, the two with Tactics in it's name are tactical. March of the Black Queen, Person of Lordly Caliber, Legend of the Zenobia Prince are real time.

Actually, a friend of mine has a copy of Ogre Battle 64, so I'll give that one a shot.

Nickle on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Sleep wrote: »

Actually, a friend of mine has a copy of Ogre Battle 64, so I'll give that one a shot.

You'll enjoy it. If you're like me, you'll play the campaign over and over trying to get all of the special characters.

Sheep on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I remember when game magazines were awesome. Back when they used to come with 20 page strategy guides at the end, user and professional reviews, previews, and badass features (like the founding of DigiPen or explaining how Donkey Kong Country was made).

The internet made a lot of magazines less useful, but it wasn't until they became solely review based that magazines became worthless.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I wish I could get GFW over here in the UK. Its waay better than EGM and properly decent, but Im sick of getting it digitally.

EDGE is the only perk for being British.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    BrueBrue Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I wish I could get GFW over here in the UK. Its waay better than EGM and properly decent, but Im sick of getting it digitally.

Eh at least your bludgeoning our dollar to death...

Brue on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Sega loved you. More so than they loved the US and Japan.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Too bad no one loved Sega :(

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

Go here. You'll have to download Zinio Reader but you can download a free issue of GFW. You can get EGM .here as well. Also, you can save the URL, go back there each month and you'll be able to download another free issue. It's a flaw in their service that I hope they won't fix anytime soon. :lol:

Anyway, EGM rumours are a mixed bag. Sometimes they're reliable (more FF's on PSP, bunch of KH games in development) and sometimes they make some up just to stir up fanboys (Microsoft buying Capcom). Whether the Matsuno one is true or not, I don't know. Personally, I hope that if Matsuno were to work on new SRPGs they'd be on the DS or PSP. SRPGs are a perfect fit for handhelds.

Btw, these are the other rumours they posted:
    Criterion is "cocking" a sequel to Black
    Midway is making another Blitz: The League game
    PS1 racing game Jet Moto to be revived on PSN

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    SirUltimos wrote: »

I love sega.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    SirUltimos wrote: »

I love sega.

You don't say?

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Rumors being what they are, that whole page might be false.

But guys, why would you not believe a rumor from the magazine because you disagree with one of their reviews? That doesn't make any sense. Those things have nothing to do with each other.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    [
    PS1 racing game Jet Moto to be revived on PSN

Sweet.

Jet Moto was tits.

Sheep on