As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

TimeSplitters 4 Wii - David Doak says he wants it

LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Games and Technology
I couldn't think of a title that both conveyed my excitement, and also didn't contribute to rumourmongering, I hope this one is acceptable.
Free Radical creative director David Doak says that he would like to see TimeSplitters 4 on Wii.

He'd also like everyone to start petitioning them to redo Second Sight for Wii, as he joked in an interview with Game Informer.
Advertisement

"I think it's a good thing to do," he said, when asked about the idea of doing a Wii FPS, "and I think we want to put [TS4] on the Wii."

"And I'm sure it's possible to do a control scheme that works," he added.

Early examples of Wii FPS games include Red Steel and Medal of Honor Vanguard, but Metroid Prime 3 is the one everyone's waiting for.

"Metroid is on my list," Doak told Game Informer. Good man.

As for TimeSplitters 4, the prospect of a Wii version is exciting, but we shouldn't get our hopes up about seeing it any time soon. When asked in general about the game's development, Doak said that it was happening, but that if they showed what they had done to anyone then it wouldn't look like development.

One game that is in development - and nearly done in fact - is Haze for PS3, which is due out on 23rd November.

My only concern would be how the multiplayer might be hampered by trying to use 1 screen and 4 wiimotes, but I have faith in Free Radical, they would be able to come up with an adequate solution.

LewieP on

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My only concern would be how the multiplayer might be hampered by trying to use 1 screen and 4 wiimotes, but I have faith in Free Radical, they would be able to come up with an adequate solution.

Red Steel managed it without fucking it up too badly.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Oh dear sweet jesus this makes me want a Wii all over again.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Daedalus wrote: »

cool, not played Red Steel, I plan to either wait for bargain bin or innevitable sequel

LewieP on
  • Options
    BantryBantry Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    BEST NEWS EVER.

Bantry on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This is pretty good news.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    They mention Red Steel and Vanguard, but not Call of Duty 3?

The fuck is wrong with them; Call of Duty 3 is a close second to best Wii FPS controls ever behind Prime 3.

Anyway, this is FANTASTIC fucking news, nonetheless. Even if it isn't really concrete confirmation or whatever.

slash000 on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I don't think screen size should affect the control at all. The sensor bar is just reading what angle your Wii remote is pointing, the screen shouldn't even be a factor.

That's why it's dumb that more Wii FPS don't have split-screen.

Food on
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It would still be a number of years off, but it's nice to hear it's being considered. Two years ago, I wouldn't have thought anyone would be considered major Wii FPS projects. Now that the Wii is selling so well, I'm surprised there aren't more announcements.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Well if it comes packed in with a Wii headset consider me sold.

There are many good reasons to bring this game to the Wii, one beeing the lack of decent fps for this console (especially in the multiplayer department, where the series really shines), and the distinctive art style of the Timesplitters series would fit the Wii perfectly fine.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Holy fuck please let this happen, with online multiplayer and classic levels from Goldeneye and Perfect Dark.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This would be so awesome. TimeSplitters: Future Perfect was so fucking fun.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Now just merge that with Metroid Prime 3's aiming style and you have a winner on your hands.

Also, if you could throw in WFC and/or straight-up TCP/IP based network multiplayer that'd be even better. Imagine how awesome it would be to get 8 Wiis, 8 TVs, and a WAP together for a good old-fashioned LAN party.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, the splitting of screens doesn't affect the controls in shooters for the Wii.

That is because aiming is relative to the sensor bar, which of course doesn't move even when the screens are split.

Basically, a split screen shooter would control exactly the same in split screen as it would in full screen.

slash000 on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    this would be so bought. TimeSplitters was pretty much the only console fps i could stand (and really enjoyed) last generation.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    LewieP wrote: »

cool, not played Red Steel, I plan to either wait for bargain bin or innevitable sequel

Oh yeah; the second I saw Red Steel I thought to myself "give it a year, tops, and it's going to be in the Under $10 bin at EBStop."

Maybe it'll be worth it then.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    But Wii can only do one and a half screens at a time cause it's one and a half Gamecubes m i rite

This sounds cool. Would love to see it come to fruition.

Captain K on
  • Options
    mekman 2mekman 2 a goober Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    That's the best rumor I've heard to date. Now I have a reason to wait, instead of purchasing a PSP port of MoH:Heroes 2 for multi-player First-Person-Shooting on my Wii.

mekman 2 on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Captain K wrote: »
    But Wii can only do one and a half screens at a time cause it's one and a half Gamecubes m i rite

This sounds cool. Would love to see it come to fruition.

But i hear they're modular. Just tape another one on the side and you're away.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Oh yeah; the second I saw Red Steel I thought to myself "give it a year, tops, and it's going to be in the Under $10 bin at EBStop."

It really isn't too bad, I think you'll be pretty satisfied at $10

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I...I want to believe.

This is truly a beautiful rumor. It's not too extreme, but the weight it bears is still significant.

Oh my oh my.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    online play for this being a no-brainer.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Oh man, I just realised something. The map editor using the wiimote! :^:

-SPI- on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    slash000 wrote: »

The fuck is wrong with them; Call of Duty 3 is a close second to best Wii FPS controls ever behind Prime 3.

Anyway, this is FANTASTIC fucking news, nonetheless. Even if it isn't really concrete confirmation or whatever.

Far Cry got the controls better than any other FPS, until MP3. The difference was that, unlike CoD3, absolutely everything else about Far Cry sucked nuts.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    God I loved Future Perfect something fierce

If they put a sequel on the Wii I could die happy

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Far Cry got the controls better than any other FPS, until MP3. The difference was that, unlike CoD3, absolutely everything else about Far Cry sucked nuts.

I played Far Cry... It's a really refined version of Red Steel controls but with more config options. It gets rid of the jitteriness of RS's cursor and it gives you some leeway when the cursor goes off screen. It lets you adjust turning speed as well as the gradient of the cursor box. It also has some cool things with slashing with the knife using the wii remote.

However, I still think COD3's controls are smoother once you adjust the sensitivity to your liking. Plus, you don't have to jump by flicking the nunchuck (as you do in Far Cry), or zoom by pushing the wiimote forward. The controls were all around really solid in COD3.

Even so, I would say that after tweaking the hell out of Far Cry's controls and then properly adjusting sensitivity in COD3Wii, they are approximately the same in terms of useability, with Cod3's edging out FC's slightly.

But of course COD3 was a decent game whilst Far Cry was, other than controls, a complete and utter broken piece of shit half finished ex-PS2 project.

Prime 3 gets everything right; but I wish its Advanced controls settings had a slightly larger cursor box.

slash000 on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    For someone who has never played the TimeSplitters games: Do these present enjoyable single-player games? Or is it all about the multiplayer?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    For someone who has never played the TimeSplitters games: Do these present enjoyable single-player games? Or is it all about the multiplayer?

They're generally considered pretty good SP games, and really good multi.

It's by a lot of the same guys who worked on Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. (the devs split Rare and formed Free Radical)

You could say that the TimeSplitters games are the spiritual successors to Goldeneye/Perfect Dark.

slash000 on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You could say that the TimeSplitters games are the spiritual successors to Goldeneye/Perfect Dark.

I knew about that, but you're also talking to a guy who only played a few multi matches of GoldenEye and played literally no PD.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I don't know about Future Perfect, but in TS2, most of my singleplayer time was spent in the arcade mode. That was the meat and potatoes of TS2, since the campaign was sort of inane. Whereas arcade mode let you run around a mental hospital with shotguns akimbo blowing away giant ducks.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Having never played TS - Future Perfect but having invested over 300 hours into TS2, what did I miss? Was it a major jump in gameplay?

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007

I knew about that, but you're also talking to a guy who only played a few multi matches of GoldenEye and played literally no PD.

Poor guy.

Sheep on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    ruzkin wrote: »
    Having never played TS - Future Perfect but having invested over 300 hours into TS2, what did I miss? Was it a major jump in gameplay?

The single player campaign in Future Perfect was fucking awesome and I don't say that lightly

Also there were tons more characters and better maps than before, which was good because it can get tiring playing nothing but Arctic Fortress and Mexican Mission over and over again

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Olivaw wrote: »

The single player campaign in Future Perfect was fucking awesome and I don't say that lightly

Also there were tons more characters and better maps than before, which was good because it can get tiring playing nothing but Arctic Fortress and Mexican Mission over and over again

Better single player? Awesome. But OI, that level that had two sets of blasted offices divided by a pit falling into nowhere, that was awesome. One person on each side, sniper weapons only.

I never saw TS3 come out in Aus on gamecube, which is the only reason I never picked it up. GC controls for FPS felt so much more smooth than Xbox.

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Olivaw wrote: »

Better single player? Awesome. But OI, that level that had two sets of blasted offices divided by a pit falling into nowhere, that was awesome. One person on each side, sniper weapons only.

I never saw TS3 come out in Aus on gamecube, which is the only reason I never picked it up. GC controls for FPS felt so much more smooth than Xbox.
    You should try and find a copy. The new characters for mutiplayer alone are worth the price.

School of fish that float around and are lead by a tiny whale with a top hat? check
    Monkey Robocop? check
    Redneck sentient cactus with robotic tractor legs? check
    Zombie who when you pick him says "I've got red on me"? check
    Plus a shitload more

-SPI- on
  • Options
    Vangu VegroVangu Vegro Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I loved TS2 on the Cube (but missed the boat on FP), so if this materializes I'll pick it up.

...But I do hope they can do something about the motion sickness that made playing TS2 nearly impossible for me sometimes. I want to be able to play games without barfing...

Vangu Vegro on
    In my PC: Ryzom, Diablo III, Naruto Shippuden UNSR, The Old Republic
    In my 3DS: Super Smash Bros, AC New Leaf
    Last game completed: Steamworld Dig
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

It really isn't too bad, I think you'll be pretty satisfied at $10

This is true. Red Steel isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be, especially once you get past the first few missions.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I loved TS2 on the Cube (but missed the boat on FP), so if this materializes I'll pick it up.

...But I do hope they can do something about the motion sickness that made playing TS2 nearly impossible for me sometimes. I want to be able to play games without barfing...

Fuck. Some people are just impossible to please.:P

All kidding aside, I had the same problem with the single player campaign in TS2. Multi was fine, but after about half an hour of single player, I had to take a breather and get some fresh air, for fear of getting a migraine and vomiting. Only game I can think of that has ever done that.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I don't know why, since the only real similarity is the first and last letters, but I keep reading this thread as Dennis DyackD:

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    scientistbz3.jpg
    Good news from the good doctor!

P.S. this site is awesome:

http://www.detstar.com/files/features/ts2_goldeneye.cfm

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've just been getting back into FP this week so this rumour is perfectly timed to give me manrections aplenty. At the same time, I can see myself prefering a PS3 version because of graphics and the fact that I am so very in tune with the dual stick system. I'm not sure if I'd be able to perform as fast with a mote. Either way I'm behind it, and if a Second Sight shows up too I'm so in.

PS., bring back the Hospital map and dual tommy guns from TS2.

Torso Boy on