As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Xbox Video Recording: Halo Fad or New gaming feature?

WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Games and Technology
As I'm sure you all know, one of the new features of Halo 3 is the ability to record your games and save them for viewing later. The feature also allows you to take a screen shot from a video or even edit out specific clips from a video. Once you've finished pretending to be Scorsese you can upload that video so all of the people on live can view it.

So here is the question I pose for the PA community, is this just a cool halo 3 feature or did bungie start a new standard option for all console games. I do understand that with the right equipment and knowledge it was possible before to make videos of your pwnage (go Google video WoW and watch one of the million pvp videos). But lets be honest, making videos with programs like GameCam for the PC is still an involved process. You have to edit them, and then find a site to host them. Honestly it was too much for my tiny brain to comprehend.

Bungie just made the whole process so easy that the 14 year old singing papa roach in the headset can even figure it out. Complete with their own servers to host the videos. I'm hoping other games take this into consideration and add it as a feature.

Edit: Whops didnt see the other thread

I really think bungie has made the new standard for all future games. What do you guys think?

"Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
Witchdr on

• Options
    OhioOhio Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    skate is also doing this, although its features are not as in-depth as Halo 3's. But still, it seems popular.

Ohio on
  • Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Some will say skate. did it first.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think Bungie have managed to develop something that can surpass WoW for the 'Greatest Amount of Shit Videos Uploaded to the Internet' award.

Saving videos of games has also been around in RTS for yonks.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Regicid3 wrote: »

I did not realise this, If thats true then i am sorry. Really the heart of my thread is, Is this a feature we are going to continue to see?

Witchdr on
    "Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Actually, one may say it's kinda surprising it took them that long to get the feature into Halo, since it was a basic feature of just about every one of their previous games.

OMG I HAV FILMZ!

Although, skate's definitely noteworthy of making it easy to view the films *outside* of the game. Previously you always had to open the saved film file with the game. (As I understand it, you still can't view the Halo 3 videos outside of the game, unless I missed something.)

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    OhioOhio Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It seems like with the popularity of YouTube, this is an obvious thing to do. I used to be into WoW and I'd watch player-directed videos of things in Wow. People create their own stories and some of them look like a lot of work went into them.

I'm sure it won't be long until YouTube will be filled with all kinds of Halo 3 videos with elaborate stories.

Ohio on
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    At least saving screenshots should have been a default feature of the 360. Like open the dashboard, activate screenshot mode and whenever you press the guide button it takes one to a PC readable folder. Hold guide button for 2 seconds to exit screenshot mode.

Handkor on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Regicid3 wrote: »

Those people would be dumb though

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    But skate. did do it first. Though not as in depth, it technically did come out first.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yeah but bungie was working on the Halo film system since before skate was even announced, skate just happaned to get released a couple weeks first.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SilasSilas Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Myth: TFL 1997 - Bungie.

Silas on
    Ancient+J.png
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Really? I won't ask for a source, since it sounds credible enough. Especially since such an in-depth feature would probably have needed development time exceeding that of skate.'s video capturing capabilities.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yes I know

I've been playing bungie games since PiD.

Marathon had film replays even before Myth.

It's not the same though because it's much easier to do that stuff on a PC than on a console, and neither of those examples come anywhere even close to the amazing depth the Halo 3 system has.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    YumcakeYumcake Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Inzigna wrote: »
    Really? I won't ask for a source, since it sounds credible enough. Especially since such an in-depth feature would probably have needed development time exceeding that of skate.'s video capturing capabilities.

Nope.

They're both the same. They took a different approach with camera technology, neither is easier, just a divergence in choice

In-game replays are handled by the game engine saving the data sets that result in what the player sees. So instead of saving the visual stream of pictures displayed to the player, it saves the input stream to be rendered by the game engine.

So you're not watching a capture of what you saw earlier, but the exact same sequence of events are now reoccuring.

Halo 3 doesn't export to videos on websites to share, making it much less convenient to view them. However, since it's sharing the data and replaying the downloaded data in-engine, it allows you to move the camera at will to see things from any angle you choose.

skate is not looking to share replays for the purpose of cross examination, just films for viewing, and like films, the perspective is locked to the director's choosing so that the director can "direct" your attention to what he's trying to show(also why it has playback speed and visual filter options). However, since this is playing out over their .avi reels, it uses preset camera angles. Why? Because the chosen camera angle would have to be carefully carved out through the entire replay, and it's difficult to keep perfect pacing like that. But most importantly, tracking the manually controlled camera's movement considerably increases the size of the data that needs to be streamed to an .avi. Still, a manually controlled camera is definitely possible for in-engine replay though and really should appear in a sequel. This conversion of game data through the engine to an .avi is what PC game recording does, and they've managed to simplify the process considerably. The process takes a good bit of work since it's converting a different format on a different platform over to servers and posting it out through a video delivery system.

Both approaches are different with different technological hurdles. Thankfully, they are not mutually exclusive either and I definitely see the potential for a future title to combine the best of both interactive replay, and exportable film.

I think it's a great feature, bringing you moments like this: http://skate.share.ea.com/profiles/15594/posts/115920.aspx

Yumcake on
    Cake is yum, is yum cake? I think, therefore I am. I am... Yumcake.

kelbear1.png
  • Options
    tetsuoZshimatetsuoZshima Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    saying myth did it first seems silly, i mean, quake let you record films in 96, and i'm sure there were other pc games sooner. and saying skate was the first console game is silly, tekken 4 let you do this, very easily as well, i don't know what tony hawk it started in, but its there too (the first one?); and there were prolly others sooner. everyone is always trying to say halo invented this, halo invented that -- it didn't invent anything, it just refines stuff in a manner that people like. i don't like the game, but i can respect that.

i do think it's a great feature that should be included on other games though. especially any game that is online playable; most of the time these replays are just a recording of the netcode sent back and forth, which is quite small. the good ones surely refine that, but even crappy ones could give you the option to just do that ;p

tetsuoZshima on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I blame Youtube. Now everyone thinks everyone cares what the fuck you do so you must record it.

I mean really what do you record other than Red vs Blue wannabes? Hey look at me I took the flag and shot my rocket out and got a triple kill and then got picked up in a warthog and drove around their base making fun of them! I then did this sick backflip on to a banshee and made they guy say OMGWTFHAX! Everyone download my video!

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    RTS games have been doing this since, oh I dunno, 4 years before Starcraft.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This is one of the first really good CONSOLE implementations of the video recording though.

And the screenshots are damn nifty cool. I spent hours in Max Payne 2 moving the camera around and taking pretty screenshots of bullet dancing, so this is awesome for me.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I blame Youtube. Now everyone thinks everyone cares what the fuck you do so you must record it.

I mean really what do you record other than Red vs Blue wannabes? Hey look at me I took the flag and shot my rocket out and got a triple kill and then got picked up in a warthog and drove around their base making fun of them! I then did this sick backflip on to a banshee and made they guy say OMGWTFHAX! Everyone download my video!

nah, youtube is just an enabler. me and many of my friends used to record ourselves playing games, game endings, etc on VHS....for what reason god knows why, it's not like we used to trade tapes and check em out, lol. it is fun to reminisce when you randomly find one though

tetsuoZshima on
  • Options
    AbsoluteHeroAbsoluteHero __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Screen shots can be cool, but here's a secret guys: No one gives a shit about your videos, unless you managed to catch something very rare like jumping through the air with a warthog and getting slammed into by a banshee that comes off screen. Or some kind of directed story that's actually good.

AbsoluteHero on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    well...i'm .. dare i say it "good" at quake 3 and warcraft 3 (not gosu, back up); and a big part of both is downloading demo's and replays of other people playing to get play style/strategy idea's; and i've gotten lines from ikaruga videos, combos from tekken videos, traps from mvc2 videos.....you just have to sort through the crap. i don't see why anyone recording themselves should bug anyone else, it's not like you have to watch a random 3 videos from people before you get to play when you turn it on or something.

tetsuoZshima on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    well...i'm .. dare i say it "good" at quake 3 and warcraft 3 (not gosu, back up); and a big part of both is downloading demo's and replays of other people playing to get play style/strategy idea's; and i've gotten lines from ikaruga videos, combos from tekken videos, traps from mvc2 videos.....you just have to sort through the crap. i don't see why anyone recording themselves should bug anyone else, it's not like you have to watch a random 3 videos from people before you get to play when you turn it on or something.

Well to me that sounds like nerd jock.

It's like that guy where you are playing basketball and fuck up a layup and this dude just comes in and tells me whats wrong and hey look this is how you do an awesome layup and here is the best way to shoot a 3 pointer and you should buy Basketball Mad Skills '94 because you can see some cool shit there. I don't care I'm playing my game now fuck off.

Sorry but that is just what these game videos remind me of. In the skate thread its full of guys posting their tricks and someone comes in and says hey you should have done a diggy knack reversal on that grind and THEN ollied to a super funk p-twist. Yo check out my video!

Obviously I don't have to watch and not have to care but still this is the internet, I have to bitch.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Halo 3 and skate do Internet hosting of videos as well as screencaps, and Forza 2 also does screencaps. I'm sure we'll see a lot more of it. Being able to make films of performances in Rock Guitar Band Hero will be something I expect to see in the next versions, if it's not already sneaking into the ones coming out this year.

Racing games in general have let you save replays, but haven't let you put them online, outside of the game itself. I've got a lot of saved laps from various PGR and Forza sessions. PGR2, PGR3, and Forza 2 let you download the top laps on the scoreboards to view them as replays, or you can even race against their ghosts. I've probably cut 10 seconds or more off of my lap times on any given track thanks to that - and that's just in terms of better lines, no glitching or shortcut taking.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

You're not nearly angry enough!

Over in the skate thread we've been sharing tons of clips and have been working on a compilation video.

As far as Halo 3 goes, I've seen some pretty hilarious clips from multiplayer games as well as lots of good screencaps.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

You're not nearly angry enough!

Over in the skate thread we've been sharing tons of clips and have been working on a compilation video.

HAHA check out the replay on my last post Brother Fat!

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WykedWyked Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    new?

for consoles maybe.

RTS games have been doing this for year.

FPS games have been doing it since 2000. Half life has had a built in recorder since the turn of the mellenium. In fact halo's demo records are pretty weak. if you open up any source game (half life 2, SC:S, TF2, etc) there is a "DemoUI." DemoUI is an interface for demo playback and editing. it gives you the ability to post-produce your demo files. This includes adding fades, changing FOV (zooming), parsing commands during playback, changing playback speed, etc. Also of note - DemoUI includes "DemoSmoother" which allows you to modify the recorded camera (aka first-person) paths in a demo file.

Wyked on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited September 2007
    It is also very complex to the average joe.

This gives a base level of functionality to EVERYONE.

Eventually these things need to meet somewhere in the middle, with most of the features from systems like DemoUI, but the ease of use that the Halo3 replay theater offers.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Once Rock Band comes out this will be a big deal.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I want it for Ace Combat 6.

For when I'm destroying all of you.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    RedShellRedShell Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It *should* be standard. That said, I think it was more of a technical hurdle than people realize. The impression I get is that you simply couldn't do a free-floating camera replay on a game like Gears or Resistance.

RedShell on
    Homing In Imperfectly?
    Pokemans D/P: 1289 4685 0522
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    DrDizaster wrote: »

Is this going to be in Rock Band?

If it is...:mrgreen:

And if it isn't, I wanna see it in Rock Band 2 or Guitar Hero 4.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    jb7jb7 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Why would that be a big deal?

jb7 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    jb7 wrote: »

Why would that be a big deal?

So I can share my face melting solos with friends.

Or, I record the guitar track to a song, pass the replay to a friend, who does the drums, keep going and then at the end we get a complete track.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

It's like that guy where you are playing basketball and fuck up a layup and this dude just comes in and tells me whats wrong and hey look this is how you do an awesome layup and here is the best way to shoot a 3 pointer and you should buy Basketball Mad Skills '94 because you can see some cool shit there. I don't care I'm playing my game now fuck off.

Sorry but that is just what these game videos remind me of. In the skate thread its full of guys posting their tricks and someone comes in and says hey you should have done a diggy knack reversal on that grind and THEN ollied to a super funk p-twist. Yo check out my video!

Obviously I don't have to watch and not have to care but still this is the internet, I have to bitch.

you can bitch, that's all well and good. but beside the point; what if i don't care that you think i'm a nerd jock? what if getting good scores/wins makes a game fun to ME? the games aren't made just for you, and they aren't made just for me--so whats the harm in giving everyone more options to find their own way to have fun with the game? if there is another xbox, and another iteration of live down the line; i bet this becomes a base functionality that is incorporated into the system layer that sits behind the game. things like this hurt no one, only add to the options, you don't like em, ignore em.

tetsuoZshima on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yes, Bungie totally invented in-game video recording. They invented dual wielding and Kenya as well. ;-)

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Sprocket FlossSprocket Floss Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Tobal 2 (PS1, roughly 1997, best fighting game of all time) allowed you to save your match replays to a mem card and I'm pretty sure there were even a few camera options. This was a good idea because there are 201 characters to choose from and a match vid is a good way of showing how absurd a lot of them are.

Sprocket Floss on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

you can bitch, that's all well and good. but beside the point; what if i don't care that you think i'm a nerd jock? what if getting good scores/wins makes a game fun to ME? the games aren't made just for you, and they aren't made just for me--so whats the harm in giving everyone more options to find their own way to have fun with the game? if there is another xbox, and another iteration of live down the line; i bet this becomes a base functionality that is incorporated into the system layer that sits behind the game. things like this hurt no one, only add to the options, you don't like em, ignore em.

You really didn't understand my post. The point was this is what I think of this replay stuff. Go make all the replays you want. I don't care about these features one bit but others do. I just don't like the type of shit that comes out of them most of the time. But yeah play the games and show your friends how you are a digital badass or whatever.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yes, Bungie totally invented in-game video recording. They invented dual wielding and Kenya as well. ;-)

They perfected all 3 though;-)

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »

The lions and tigers? All Bungie.

august on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    august wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »

The lions and tigers? All Bungie.

Well to be brutally honest Bungie did kinda invent dual wielding. Previous games had you holding two guns but you couldnt mix n match like you could in Halo 2.

but of course, giving halo games any legitimate praise isnt allowed on the internet.

The_Scarab on