As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Be my hero, help me with my TV troubles H/A!

JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Right, i'm now actually about to buy a HDTV.

The Sony KDL40X2000 is what i'll probably get as it's reasonably priced for what it is. Yet, the KDL40X3000 and 40X3500 have just been released ( fair enough, for an extortionate price) but I can't see if they're any better. Anyone know if there will be a big difference apart from there being 3HDMI ports instead of 2? And will that really be something I need?

I should say that i'll be using a SkyHD box with my TV so it'll need to take up one of those slots. (and I have a PS3, what else HD would need a slot?)

Also, i'm getting the 40" for my front room and I need to find a 32-38" one for my back room, that can be around about the same price. Anyone know of any?

Oh, and are these things relatively easy to install or would it be better to get an installation dude around for it?

Maybe the Phillips 37PFL9732D/10 or something a touch cheaper.

Johannen on

• GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The only big difference I can see with those sets is that one is newer and in a different case, and has an extra HDMI like you say. If you're going to have more than 2 HDMI sources, I would recommend getting an HDMI receiver instead of throwing 800 pounds at the newer model.

You should also get a 360, so you can actually, you know... play games. :)

If you are hanging the set on the wall I would recommend professional installation. If you're only setting on a surface, you should be able to do that yourself. You take the thing out of the box, maybe screw in the table stand, then plug stuff into it. It isn't hard at all.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Fair enough, thanks man. I've got a PS3 to play games on but I kinda want a 360 aswell (but can't afford it).

So, you can just get a HDMI reciever that will plug into the TV and act as an adapter for more HDMI inputs? Does it interfere with signal quality at all or anything like that?

Johannen on
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Johannen wrote: »
    Fair enough, thanks man. I've got a PS3 to play games on but I kinda want a 360 aswell (but can't afford it).

So, you can just get a HDMI reciever that will plug into the TV and act as an adapter for more HDMI inputs? Does it interfere with signal quality at all or anything like that?

Yep, it will work fine and a good quality brand-name receiver won't mess with the quality at all. You'll also get the bonus of being able to hook up surround sound speakers to the receiver in the future.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg