Options

[Let's Play] Dragon Force | Finale: The End of the Reign

• Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    You're going after him, or playing as him?

Also, after I take out Golem, I plan on getting Palemoon on my side. I don't think eight generals is nearly enough to go to war with Topaz.
    Or their impossible-to-capture ruler.

Playing as. Kill me now.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh please, it'll take you like an hour to devastate the entire continent with his army.

Well, excluding Topaz.
    You captured Leon! But he got away. HATE.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Part 4
    At the end of our last installment, you might remember the pending threat of a certain warmongering merchant.

dflp125.jpg

Unfortunately, we've got a visitor to deal with first.

dflp126.jpg

dflp127.jpg

As you can see, this won't take long.

dflp128.jpg

Might as well give the new blood a chance.

dflp129.jpg

Even though it's tied 10 to 10, more often than not, the general with the soldiers will get the win. Mage generals(Fiina's a Spirit User) tend to keep their troops in one place, so they're easily taken out once the soldiers reach them. Mages get the first hits in, but they're not very powerful.

dflp130.jpg

Unfortunately, we've also met our first coward: she retreated.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't believe in letting my targets get away.

dflp131.jpg

If you send an army out after an escaping general fast enough, you can almost always drag them right back into battle.
    (Best of all, if they escape again, they head the other way: right back into the castle they just ran from.)

dflp132.jpg

So much for living to fight another day.

dflp133.jpg

This tactic is always fun for an outclassed general.

dflp134.jpg

dflp136.jpg

She puts up a good fight, to her credit.

dflp137.jpg

But it was over before it started.

dflp138.jpg

Looks like Golem has some company on the way also.

dflp139.jpg

Doesn't look like he can defend stolen turf very well.

And now he's coming to us.

dflp140.jpg

dflp141.jpg

He even has a portable throne! Crafty.

dflp142.jpg

dflp143.jpg

dflp144.jpg

Good luck with that.

dflp145.jpg

He'll need it.

dflp146.jpg

I'm sure he does.

dflp147.jpg

Let's not waste time.

dflp148.jpg

Overkill? Probably.

dflp149.jpg

Just a flesh wound!

dflp150.jpg

Probably the whole 40-to-1 odds thing.

dflp151.jpg

For the last part of this act, we'll set out to take the castle we wanted in the first place, which was taken over by this Saul fellow.

dflp152.jpg

Taking out a hack like Golem was probably a cakewalk for him.

dflp153.jpg

A very evenly matched fight(20v20), so we stay on the defensive.

Still, it comes down to the wire.

dflp154.jpg

This could've very easily been our first loss, but we're keeping a perfect record so far(don't worry, I promise this won't last).

dflp155.jpg

Unfortunately, we can't keep them all alive.
    (In my experience, Saul always dies.)

Now with some more castles to our name, let's take a look at current affairs.

dflp156.jpg

That's not good.
    (We'll learn more about this unnerving development later.)

dflp157.jpg

Tradnor's on the rise. (Their territory and Topaz's are constantly lost and regained.)

dflp158.jpg

Bozack seem to be gaining ground against Izumo...

dflp159.jpg

Wein doesn't have much competition, but he's not much of a threat yet, either.

dflp160.jpg

Lastly, Palemoon seems to be keeping to themselves.

dflp161.jpg

For now, the far north is completely in Junon's possession, where it belongs.

But we can't and won't be satisfied with this.

Now that the home turf is under our control, we need to start taking their territory.

How we proceed, is up to you.

I'll wage war against whatever region you think best.

Keep in mind, I suggest Palemoon, though taking out Topaz early could also be a wise move, before they get too powerful to conquer easily(and they can, and they will).

Next time: Spreading The Gospel

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Kill the faeries in Palemoon!

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've always been a fan of only grabbing like 12-16 generals, planting them in two high-traffic castles and fighting as much as possible to get levels and such while trying to get better generals and keeping the levels high on a smaller number of generals because the enemies typically gain a level every domestic affairs if they participated in a battle at all. Makes leveling up easier when they do it for you and you concentrate on a small army yourself.

When you get a great general, you let one of your weaker ones you don't like get captured so someone else can go level them up for you.

Ardor on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man I want to play this game so hard.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I never recruit captives. Starting five + event characters only.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I wanna play this! Sega, why didn't you release this on the PS2 in America!

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I wanna play this! Sega, why didn't you release this on the PS2 in America!

It wasn't a Sega game, it was a third party game. And the third party went bye bye.

Anyway, I'd recommend hitting at least that one Topaz castle closest to you if for no other reason than to get ahold of some generals that command different troop types to show off. All Palemoon has are archers and more archers.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It wasn't a Sega game, it was a third party game.

Uh no.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I heard somewhere that the team who made the (reportedly disappointing) Generation of Chaos PSP games were Dragon Force vets?
    Anyway, I'd recommend hitting at least that one Topaz castle closest to you if for no other reason than to get ahold of some generals that command different troop types to show off. All Palemoon has are archers and more archers.

There's Laine's independent troops(mages) and one of Palemoon's generals has calvary(he also became my #1 general during my Palemoon run).

On the bright side, when playing as Palemoon, you utterly decimate Tristan for obvious reasons.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    That's not my quote.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    It wasn't a Sega game, it was a third party game.

Uh no.

Let me rephrase that on more sleep.

The translated game wasn't a Sega game, it was a third party game.

Third party went poof. And Sega was already in their post-DC identity crisis which means bad Sonic spin-offs and no new translations of great Saturn games.
    cj iwakura wrote:
    There's Laine's independent troops(mages) and one of Palemoon's generals has calvary(he also became my #1 general during my Palemoon run).

I tend to view mages and archers as the same since there's only a slight difference in what they're effective/weak against. Plus, monks aren't another "wipe the floor with half the troop types" unit like cavalry.

In any case, early on I seldom worry about wiping out an enemy general so much as securing choke points and borders, and I consider the closest Topaz castle to be the former. That and I hate waiting for an army from that castle to make the long, long march up to the castle to the north when the enemy holds it.

However, I am curious if actually attacking Palemoon as Tristan has any effect on the scripted event between the two. Back when I first got the game, I started as Izumo while my stepbrother started out as Tristan. I had a "how is that fair" moment when I saw Tieris ally with him while I was busy fending off Fandaria on one side and everyone that was pissed at Fandaria on the other.

And no matter what, you must have screen shots of Laine in battle.

Steel Angel on
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the moment you move on any Palemoon-held castle(as Tristan), Teiris pleas to join your army.
    Though I think in at least half of the scenarios, she joins you anyway. One of the few armies she holds her ground against is Goldark's.

It won't stop me from going after their Independents, of course. :)

Which Laine is classified as right now, and her group is in my way.

Unfortunately for them, they're also directly in the path of the Skull Children.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the moment you move on any Palemoon-held castle(as Tristan), Teiris pleas to join your army.
    Though I think in at least half of the scenarios, she joins you anyway. One of the few armies she holds her ground against is Goldark's.

She automatically joins Junon, Wein, and Reinhart. And Wein will join her. Everyone else has to cut down a ridiculous number of archers.
    Unfortunately for them, they're also directly in the path of the Skull Children.

My first game, shortly after they made their appearance the original trio got offed by another kingdom. Never even got a chance to fight those for a few games.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited October 2007

She automatically joins Junon, Wein, and Reinhart. And Wein will join her. Everyone else has to cut down a ridiculous number of archers.

That's true. Her reason for fighting Gongos becomes pretty personal, also. ;-)
    There's a reason it's the funniest scenario in the game. He constantly hits on her.

My first game, shortly after they made their appearance the original trio got offed by another kingdom. Never even got a chance to fight those for a few games.

The trio almost always dies instantly. Paine & Agonni on the other hand...

There is a work around for them, but it's tough to pull off. If you can get them pinned down to a location where they're stuck behind a castle they can't capture, you'll never have to fight them again.

I forget what the army they can't defeat was. Maybe it was Zanon's.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    That's true. Her reason for fighting Gongos becomes pretty personal, also. ;-)
    There's a reason it's the funniest scenario in the game. He constantly hits on her.

I never got far enough in a Gongos campaign to see that first hand (I'm not so fond of his generals), but you certainly see that coming based on other campaigns. Alas, Wein kind of beat him to the scene by many years.
    The trio almost always dies instantly. Paine & Agonni on the other hand...

There is a work around for them, but it's tough to pull off. If you can get them pinned down to a location where they're stuck behind a castle they can't capture, you'll never have to fight them again.

I forget what the army they can't defeat was. Maybe it was Zanon's.

I've had situations where they wind up just settling down in a castle. It requires some specific conditions, like conquering a castle, then failing to conquer a neutral army's castle afterwards. Not as amusing as seeing them constantly get pwned by Zanon though.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    DevilGuyDevilGuy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've always wanted to try this game, but one is not enough to get me to buy a consol.

Edit: I just realized I don't need a saturn to play this... and niether does anyone else here... If I can figure it out I'm sure other determined gamers can too

Just a note: don't feel bad about it, there's literally no way the original owners are going to make ANY money off that game at this point.

DevilGuy on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    There's quite a few excellent Saturn games, this just happens to be one of the highlights.

I can name six or seven more that're definitely worth getting if you have the system.

Most being RPGs, but not all; there's still gems like NiGHTS, Burning Rangers, Street Fighter Alpha 2(this was the definitive version until Anthology came out, and I still prefer it), etc.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DevilGuyDevilGuy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    edit: whoops wrong thread

DevilGuy on
  • Options
    ShoonShoon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Wow, I just got my hands in the PS2 Dragon Force port.

Horrible.

Just horrible :(

Shoon on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    It is? How? I'd heard nothing but good things(c/o 645).

Also, 'on topic', I more or less stopped from lack of interest, but I still have my save at the point where I stopped if someone wants me to continue for some reason.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    nomenome Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Would you be willing to continue if at least one person was still interested? I actually just registered to post in this thread. I remember seeing ads for this games when it first came out but I couldn't afford a Saturn and my parents refused to pay $400 for "a kid's toy". I've regretted missing out ever since. I'll like to at least see the screen shots of Laine in battle that someone mentioned upthread.

nome on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing the conclusion. But please, don't do it for me. If you don't want to play, don't play.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Rest assured, I love Dragon Force to death, and I consider playing it a privilege, not a chore, so if even one person wants to see this through, I'm more than willing to keep it up.

Assuming you don't mind the lackluster image quality, at least. (There are 'other ways' of playing Saturn games, I suppose, but I'm relying on the genuine article.)

Fun fact: I attempted the attack on Palemoon a week or so ago.

It wasn't pretty. Archers killing Harpies left and right.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Man, I wanted to see you do this.

Then you buggered off.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Well, that settles that; Growlanser V can wait. Give me a few hours.

Maybe about two.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Part 5: Between a Monk and a Hard Place
    For the most part, we'll be taking the war, firstly, to Palemoon.

However, Steel Angel offered the sagely advice to get a bit more variety in our army before proceeding(as Palemoon is full of Archers, which decimate Harpies), so that's what we'll do.

IMG_0550.jpg

First, we'll be leaving the castles up north in charge of the 'back up' team; mostly the guys we've recruited since starting off.

Except Ortega, since he's pretty useless compared to Gustav(funny about that).

IMG_0551.jpg

That's the main castle standing between us and Palemoon: the base of Teiris' rival, Laine.

IMG_0576.jpg

This is a fairly deranged elf. You'll see why soon enough.

IMG_0559.jpg

But as usual, we've got an obstacle.

IMG_0563.jpg

Fortunately, they've been picking fights with Laine's posse, so they're practically defenseless.

IMG_0571.jpg

Dead in the water.
    (Well, captured, actually. Close enough.)

Before taking on the elf posse, let's go to Topaz for a little recruitment drive.

IMG_0634.jpg

Of the non-friendly persuasion.

IMG_0648.jpg

I think we can handle them.

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

Overkill? I never know.

IMG_0671.jpg

Nothing 40 mages can't handle.

IMG_0672.jpg

Keeping the mages on the defensive will usually take out enough of the monks to reduce their threat by the time they reach Cinna's line, as long as (s)he's* not ridiculously outnumbered.
    *I'm not sure which Cinna is, but I think it's a he.

IMG_0674.jpg

A little back-up fire power never hurts. Not us, that is.

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0682.jpg

And now, we rush.

IMG_0683.jpg

Or not.

IMG_0695.jpg

Gator escaped, but we can still try to get his companion.

IMG_0697.jpg

IMG_0698.jpg

IMG_0699.jpg

Just a flesh wound!

IMG_0703.jpg

Let's make sure this time.

IMG_0704.jpg

...or not.

IMG_0705.jpg

Junon gained a level, at least. That skill should(and will) come in handy.

Before we chase down the Topaz Chicken Brigade, domestic affairs beckon...

IMG_0710.jpg

The searching didn't go well on the recruitment front.

IMG_0712.jpg

But at least there's that.

IMG_0713.jpg

And one new general.

IMG_0715.jpg

Unfortunately, they got away before we could catch them.

IMG_0720.jpg

Worse news: Leon's not happy about our attack, and here comes the retaliation.

IMG_0721.jpg

A bit more balanced, but they'll suffer the same fate. (And hopefully not run from it.)

IMG_0723.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

Harpies tear Monks apart, and the Sonic Boom contributes to this greatly.

IMG_0741.jpg

And, it's over for Raizak: one of Leon's four Generals, which means he can't be recruited, but it's a serious blow to Topaz's forces.

IMG_0743.jpg

This is Shaia, another one. Not very friendly, either.

IMG_0744.jpg

Mages against Mages takes a little longer to resolve, but it's easy to finish a computer opponent; just standby until they're wiped out, and charge.

IMG_0745.jpg

Well, unless the general packs lightning magic...

Still, Cinna wins out; but Shaia escapes.
    (But not for long.)

IMG_0746.jpg

Let's try this again.

IMG_0747.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg

Where to run now?

IMG_0751.jpg

Thought so.

IMG_0764.jpg

Last but not least...

IMG_0765.jpg

Cavalry against Soldiers: another slaughter waiting to happen for Topaz.

IMG_0766.jpg

And they come to us! How nice of them.

IMG_0768.jpg

Let's return the favor.

IMG_0769.jpg

And then there were two.

IMG_0770.jpg

And then, not.

Victory!

But, the matter of the escaped General... we're not having that happen again.

IMG_0771.jpg

Cinna: My enemies deserve no mercy. They are worse than dogs.

Shaia: Watch in frozen horror as my power is unleashed!

IMG_0772.jpg

Shaia: I'm not looking forward to doing this solo...

Changed her tune quick, didn't she?

IMG_0774.jpg

Fire can do that to a person.

IMG_0776.jpg

Now we've got a matched set: all four captured, and three of Leon's commanders down.

IMG_0777.jpg

It's a good start, but...

IMG_0778.jpg

Topaz is still a bit more powerful than Palemoon. We'll stick to our gameplan of wiping out the Elves, first.

Domestic affairs? Why not.

First, the awards.

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg

Next, recruiting the captives...

IMG_0787.jpg

Monk Get!

IMG_0788.jpg

Idiot Topaz General Not Get!

IMG_0790.jpg

Fortunately, practically every captured person that wasn't a die-hard Topazian was smart enough to join up with us, so we've got a force sizable enough to make mincemeat out of the Elves.

So, let's mosey. (Leaving Scar and our new Spirit User in charge of the new Topaz castle... which we'll wind up regretting.)

IMG_0807.jpg

More roadblocks? Peachy.

IMG_0808.jpg

I don't know, this might take a while.

IMG_0813.jpg

Or not.

And not long after that, another neutral comes at us from Laine... popular, isn't she?

IMG_0815.jpg

And she meets the same end.

IMG_0816.jpg

Before attacking Laine, we go back to recover our lost forces... minimal, but it isn't wise to attack a well-populated castle with anything else than a fully prepared squad.

Unfortunately, back at Topaz... Leon's sent company.

IMG_0821.jpg

I don't like those odds.

IMG_0822.jpg

Never too proud. We'll be back.

To the matter at hand...

IMG_0824.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg

Who let the Malks out?

IMG_0830.jpg

Laine's force is equipped to make a Harpy Army's life painful, but with some choice strategizing, we'll get around it.

IMG_0831.jpg

For this battle, at least, we're set. Archers are weak against practically every soldier imaginable but Harpies, and maybe Mages.

Still, Protect: the most annoying formation an Archer Commander can possibly use, and they always seem to have it at their disposal.

IMG_0835.jpg

Still won't help him against a Monk brigade.

IMG_0836.jpg

Figures.

For Nyvkall and his Soldiers, we send Scar and the Harpies.

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

No contest... except, he also runs away.

Is there a pattern forming here?

IMG_0841.jpg

We could take a risk at this point, but why bother. We'll have the Cavalry liquidate the Mages.

IMG_0842.jpg

Bad move, Tinkerbell.

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

IMG_0845.jpg

Ok, that hurt.

IMG_0846.jpg

Still, this'll be over quick.

IMG_0847.jpg

...or not. I guess I wouldn't take on an armored knight in that get-up, either.

Now, for the main event!

IMG_0851.jpg

Ayrios: Dear woman, you are as lovely as you are stern.
    Laine: I'm the loveliest woman on the continent, to be correct.

No self-esteem problems, here.

IMG_0852.jpg

This is a tough match, but if odds work in our favor, along with a good strategy, Ayrios can still come out ahead.

IMG_0853.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg

Okay, bad start.

IMG_0855.jpg

That's better.

IMG_0856.jpg

That's not.

IMG_0858.jpg

Still, Laine knows when she's whipped.

On the downside, their whole squad escaped.

On the upside... lots of XP.

IMG_0860.jpg

At least Gustav can do something besides watch, now.

And, they're not getting away.

IMG_0871.jpg

Suffice it to say, the three generals with less than a handful of soldiers and HP to their names don't hold up long, and Laine's up to bat once again.

IMG_0873.jpg

Right, good luck with that.

IMG_0875.jpg

IMG_0877.jpg

Inability to count, probably.

IMG_0878.jpg

And everyone else.

Now, for the rest of Palemoo-... wait, domestic affairs. So much for warmongering; a Monarch has bills to pay, after all.

IMG_0888.jpg

Guard: ...there is a strange woman at the castle gate.

She has traveled far. What is your wish?

Junon: Who would come so far north to see me in this remote place?
    All right, I will see her. Let her in.

Guard: Very good, majesty.

IMG_0900.jpg

Muriko: You are Palemoon's...

Woman: Yes, I believe this is the first time we've met.

I am Teiris, sovereign queen of Palemoon Kingdom.

IMG_0903.jpg

Junon: The light is the shining of the Star Dragon's Crest!

As I expected, you have one, too.

IMG_0905.jpg

Junon: I was instructed by the wise man, Frest, to search for the others.
    And, well... you found me.

The others I refer to are the Eight Dragon Force Warriors.

Teiris: And the crest of the Star Dragon is our proof!

I was also told by Queen Farla to seek the others.

IMG_0909.jpg

Junon: Would you give us your aid and cooperation?

Let's destroy Madruk AND Goldark's evil plan together!

Teiris: It will be my pleasure.

The Moon Palace and armies of Palemoon are behind you.

From now on, we will operate as one under your flag.

Well, that's one less kingdom to destr-... I mean recruit.

Let's talk to our new recruits, shall we?

Maybe it's the Palemoon union, maybe it's Junon's... charm, but whatever the reason, all of our captives from Palemoon join without hesitation.

Even her.

IMG_0910.jpg

Laine: I love being a dominatrix! Call me QUEEN Laine!

Riight...

IMG_0914.jpg

On the bright side, we're practically one Kingdom's conquering away from being the largest army in Legendra.

IMG_0919.jpg

Muriko: Teiris has kept her word.

IMG_0920.jpg

IMG_0924.jpg

The Northeast is Junon's.

Next, we move south. Wein's posing too big a threat for my taste.

Next time: Black Moves To Checkmate

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread. Yet I foolishly assumed I had my Dragon Force yearning in check--I was deeply mistaken and now I'm knee deep in a Wein play through that looks like it will only be the begining of my descent back into this games clutches.
    The play has been a fun read though. I always had a soft spot for Junon since it was my first ever play through.

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Holy, how have I never heard of this game before? Time to dig out the old Saturn and go shopping I guess. About how much does this run for nowadays?

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Not as much as it should. The only ridiculously expensive Saturn games are Panzer Dragoon Saga and Radiant Silvergun, far as I know. I wouldn't think DF should go for more than ~$50.

The (mediocre) sequel was even cheaper than that.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Not as much as it should. The only ridiculously expensive Saturn games are Panzer Dragoon Saga and Radiant Silvergun, far as I know. I wouldn't think DF should go for more than ~$50.

I thought Nights into Dreams was expensive?

I heard good things about that game but never played it.

I've played Dragon Force to the death though, and still enjoy it!

What kinds of other games are like DF? I know there was a brigandine game for PS1 which I found to be fun, Generations of Chaos for the PSP is somewhat similar too.

Ardor on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Ardor wrote: »

What kinds of other games are like DF? I know there was a brigandine game for PS1 which I found to be fun, Generations of Chaos for the PSP is somewhat similar too.

I got NiGHTS with my Saturn, so I never looked into how much it is... didn't think it was very sought after. Beautiful game, but complex.

I've never played another game like DF, but I've never tried Brigandine.

I'm pretty sure Generations of Chaos was made by the Dragon Force team, or at least some people from it(Idea Factory).

Unfortunately, I didn't hear good things, but I'd still like to try it eventually.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007

I got NiGHTS with my Saturn, so I never looked into how much it is... didn't think it was very sought after. Beautiful game, but complex.

I've never played another game like DF, but I've never tried Brigandine.

I'm pretty sure Generations of Chaos was made by the Dragon Force team, or at least some people from it(Idea Factory).

Unfortunately, I didn't hear good things, but I'd still like to try it eventually.

I thought GoC had a lot going for it to be honest. The one major thing that made most not try it or play it was the fact that it's got so many load times on it and slowdown issues that it makes the game frustrating. It was a decently slow time when I picked it up as far as games went, and plus it was portable, so I thought I'd go through with it.

Ardor on
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Brigandine is so awesome. Though of course, being an Atlus game, it goes for the price of a brand new game.

Shamus on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Shamus wrote: »
    Brigandine is so awesome. Though of course, being an Atlus game, it goes for the price of a brand new game.

Didn't age too well, but I will play games regardless of how pretty they are if they are good games IMO.

I actually bought a copy a few years back for about 14 bucks. I think it was fairly new too.

Ardor on
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Didn't age too well, but I will play games regardless of how pretty they are if they are good games IMO.

I actually bought a copy a few years back for about 14 bucks. I think it was fairly new too.

Damn, that's a steal. Looking at it Amazon, it's close to $60. I'm really tempted to buy it.

Shamus on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Damn, that's a steal. Looking at it Amazon, it's close to $60. I'm really tempted to buy it.

I hit Ebay for it.

It's funny because by many standards and reviews, it was a mediocre game at best.

However, the Atlus tag makes it more rare too.

Ardor on
  • Options
    nomenome Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My soul burns with the holy desire to SMASH YOUR FACE!

They don't make translations like this anymore. :D

I just bid on a Saturn and this game on Ebay because of this thread. I can pretend it's a present for myself. I always seem to be completely broke around Christmas time.

nome on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Part 6: Making The Band
    As you'll soon notice, we aren't quite ready to launch our assault on Highland, especially with the addition of Palemoon's (woefully unprepared) forces, so I took additional time to prepare.

In midst of these preparations, a few obstacles came up, which were dealt with summarily.

IMG_0930.jpg

First, some equipment upgrades.

A general can hold only one piece of equipment; generally differing in the way of what stat it upgrades. Staffs and swords affect attack, rings and armor affect defense, and so on.

IMG_0939.jpg

Junon's weakest commander could use a boost in stats, and so the staff goes to Cinna.

IMG_0954.jpg

And if Laine's going to become a mainstay, we're not leaving her with just mages. So, we give her a deadlier variety of troop class to command.

After getting a crest, that general can choose which type of soldier to use in battle. However, the new class they gain from the crest starts off at the default amount of 10, so it'll need a lot of awards if you want to change that general's army preference.

Let's get to know the new recruits Teiris was kind enough to donate us.

IMG_0960.jpg

These four, helpfully located in one castle, are Teiris' commanders.

IMG_0962.jpg

Gulen and Duran's specialties in Cavalry and Soldier will come in most handy, respectively, so we'll be sending them off to join our main force.

IMG_0965.jpg

Meanwhile, our new 'base' has gotten somewhat crowded, with the addition of Teiris and Laine's posse.

Moreover, they're all depleted of soldiers, so we'll need to restock before going on the warpath again.

Let's look at what's up in Highland in the meantime.

IMG_0966.jpg

Aside from Bastion(the silent thief) doing nothing, and Wein failing at capturing anything, all seems quiet.

IMG_0970.jpg

This is Highland's main castle.

IMG_0973.jpg

Not very well defended, even with a Hyrulian on his side.
    I kid, no relation.

The castle blocking the path to his, however...

IMG_0978.jpg

IMG_0977.jpg

Will not be so easily taken.

While we restock our forces, let's take a look elsewhere.

IMG_0982.jpg

Namely, the castle we took, then had recaptured.

IMG_0979.jpg

That's not much of a guard.

I think we should take it back.

IMG_0985.jpg

This seems like a good method.

IMG_0986.jpg

Wait a second...

IMG_0988.jpg

Where's he going?

IMG_0992.jpg

Well, sucks to be her even more, now.

IMG_1023.jpg

What we have here is a severe inability to recognize odds.

IMG_1036.jpg

3 > 1. Sorry to break it to you.

IMG_1037.jpg

Don't tell him otherwise; thieves are best left delusional.
    (Besides, Kidd was complaining about not being used when spoken to during domestic affairs, so we'll oblige him this once.)

IMG_1038.jpg

She's got a decent force, but not against a soldier posse. Ever try using karate on a guy with a sword? Not advisable.

IMG_1040.jpg

We won't waste time thinning the herd.

IMG_1043.jpg

Hey, you're supposed to fight each other, not trade places!

IMG_1044.jpg

IMG_1045.jpg

Fine, that works too.

IMG_1046.jpg

You would.

IMG_1047.jpg

But not for long.

Yanna: Chun who? She's got nothing on me! I'm unstoppable!

IMG_1048.jpg

I've spared some details, but long story short, she didn't have a prayer.

IMG_1050.jpg

Home sweet home.

IMG_1052.jpg

Oh come on... can't we keep it?

IMG_1053.jpg

What, run out of kung fu fighters already?

The odds are a little tougher, but considering that it's an army of mages, still in our favor.

IMG_1056.jpg

Giving the new blood another chance.

Numbers are in her favor, for now...

IMG_1057.jpg

IMG_1058.jpg

Not any more.

IMG_1060.jpg

Still, her troops are stubborn.

IMG_1061.jpg

It's down to the wire.

IMG_1062.jpg

Unfortunately, odds have a way of turning bad here and there.

IMG_1063.jpg

She's not dead... right?

IMG_1068.jpg

Maybe she'd have been better off.

Never fear; we'll get her back.

IMG_1069.jpg

First, the weaker enemy wants to get in our way, so we'll use Cinna's 50 mage posse to knock the obstacle down.

It takes them no time to eliminate her 10 mage group.

IMG_1070.jpg

Now, here's a particularly dirty trick from my strategy arsenal.

IMG_1071.jpg

They're on standby, and have ranged attacks: and they're also completely out of her reach. They can now fire away to their heart's content.

Cheap, but effective. And Mages are a handicap enough as it is.

IMG_1073.jpg

Also, it gets results.

IMG_1074.jpg

Now, for our hostage taker.

IMG_1075.jpg

She wasn't even close to ready.

IMG_1086.jpg

Since Cinna's on such a roll...

IMG_1088.jpg

Lots of crossfire.

IMG_1089.jpg

That's probably not good.

IMG_1090.jpg

That's really not good.

IMG_1091.jpg

Still, Cinna has a few tricks of his own.

IMG_1092.jpg

And his hurt more.

IMG_1093.jpg

This general knows not to mess with a Tristan Commander.

Smart girl.
    (Not that it's going to help.)

IMG_1096.jpg

That's very nice to have. Thunder Fall can decimate almost half of an army in one shot.

IMG_1097.jpg

As for the escapee...

IMG_1098.jpg

Captured, and our general was regained as well.

IMG_1099.jpg

As you can see, Leon is sorely hurting for help now.

In addition, we have all four of his commanders in our jail.

IMG_1113.jpg

Still, I think that castle is going to continue being under siege by Leon's forces, so let's send them some help.

IMG_1114.jpg

That should do it.

IMG_1116.jpg

They're almost ready to go, but not quite.

Back to domestic affairs...

IMG_1129.jpg

Wait, she hasn't done anything...

It's good to be the King(?).

IMG_1131.jpg

Showing that her and her group have a good amount of sense, Milishea and her followers all join up, bringing Cinna's castle to a considerably well defended state.

IMG_1132.jpg

Teiris does some recruitment on the side, and as a first in Tristan endeavors, succeeds.

IMG_1134.jpg

Let's get a more colorful appraisal of our progress.

IMG_1142.jpg

We're making Leon's life painful, but we still haven't dented Highland.

IMG_1145.jpg

Now where's that lone general going?

IMG_1149.jpg

Maybe he's running from them.

Paine and Agonni are Skull Children: Madruk's immortal followers.

They can be beaten, but not permanently. They always head directly for Junon's location, and nothing can stand in their way: any castle in their path gets automatically evacuated once they strike.

IMG_1151.jpg

Well, unless it's occupied by a ruler, fortunately for us.

However, they will be back, but that's not a problem just yet.

IMG_1154.jpg

Highland's on the move? Lucky us.

IMG_1155.jpg

And they're going to get rid of the neutrals between us and them? Bonus.
    (As an added benefit, by some miracle, Bastion managed to take out that single Leon general.)

IMG_1156.jpg

Not that they'd be very difficult to remove.

IMG_1158.jpg

Then again... they managed to send two of Highland's commanders packing. Not bad.

IMG_1162.jpg

Oh, so now they want to try their luck with Tristan.

IMG_1165.jpg

We'll be waiting.

IMG_1166.jpg

Next time: There Can Be Only One(give or take)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png