As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

iPhOWNED pt 2

• Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    ufo wrote: »
    i really do not see the appeal of the ocean. its had plenty of bugs and if i wanted another bloated phone id go back to a sidekick. but thats just me. its all opinion really.

it just annoys me that it seems lots of people want the iphone to fail just because. for their first entry apple is not being the most evil bastards that some of you make them out to be.

How long did it take till the iPhone dropped in price? Did they offer the people who bought one, when it came out, some sort of compensation?

only a couple of months

people who bought it withing the preceding two weeks (I believe) got a check back for the price difference ($200, I think). Everyone else got a free $100 in iTunes funbucks, which means that, really, Apple gave them nothing of any consequence, because they still haveto give all of that "money" right back to apple, or else not use ti for anything at all.

Evander on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    s3rial one wrote: »
    Just a couple weeks ago, I was agonizing over which phone to get. I had an iPhone in my hand, at the Apple store, and just couldn't bring myself to buy it. I mean, it's way overpriced, and I knew I'd have to unlock it to get what I wanted out of it, but it's such a sweet piece of hardware.

Then I saw this, and it wound up being a no-brainer.

Every time I see someone bragging about an iPhone, now, I just sort of laugh.

Yeah, I find it to be the opposite of overpriced, considering that it's a very, very nice mp3 player as well. I'm really trying to find alternatives and not having much luck.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    so its ok that helio has a monopoly on the ocean right. shouldnt some of you be calling foul that a cdma phone wont work on verizon?

some people dont even consider the iphone a smartphone so i dont even know anymore nor does it care in my eyes, its all if the phone suits the individuals needs.

Well, the Ocean was designed specifically for the Helio service, and, as such, many of its features simply wouldn't work on other services.

But if you did buy one and unlock it, Helio wouldn't go and brick it to prevent you from using it.

Seriously, if you didn't already own an iPhone, whould you be defending it so fervently? Your posts have a distinct smell of "sour grapes" to them.

Evander on
  • Options
    ufoufo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    it was 100 bucks for anything at the apple retail store. money back to apple yes, but not mere funbucks please get your facts straight.

ufo on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Septus wrote: »
    Just a couple weeks ago, I was agonizing over which phone to get. I had an iPhone in my hand, at the Apple store, and just couldn't bring myself to buy it. I mean, it's way overpriced, and I knew I'd have to unlock it to get what I wanted out of it, but it's such a sweet piece of hardware.

Yeah, I find it to be the opposite of overpriced, considering that it's a very, very nice mp3 player as well. I'm really trying to find alternatives and not having much luck.

As a gamestop employee, I get 50% off the service.

which means I could get 500 minutes, and unlimited everything else, for 32.50

which we be a fucking awesome deal, if I wasn't already getting the same thing from Sprint for 30.00

<3 SERO

Evander on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Evander wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    i really do not see the appeal of the ocean. its had plenty of bugs and if i wanted another bloated phone id go back to a sidekick. but thats just me. its all opinion really.

it just annoys me that it seems lots of people want the iphone to fail just because. for their first entry apple is not being the most evil bastards that some of you make them out to be.

How long did it take till the iPhone dropped in price? Did they offer the people who bought one, when it came out, some sort of compensation?

only a couple of months

people who bought it withing the preceding two weeks (I believe) got a check back for the price difference ($200, I think). Everyone else got a free $100 in iTunes funbucks, which means that, really, Apple gave them nothing of any consequence, because they still haveto give all of that "money" right back to apple, or else not use ti for anything at all.
    You can't use the $100 on itunes, you can only use it at the apple store or apple online store, and they don't let you buy itunes gift cards except you can order a physical gift card from the online store maybe.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    it was 100 bucks for anything at the apple retail store. money back to apple yes, but not mere funbucks please get your facts straight.

Apple currency has more value than other currency?

Er... ok.

To be fair, it's not "free" to Apple to provide that. They're still giving time, goods, and value; they'll "lose" cost of goods sold when giving away 100 bucks.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007

hmm, the Press releases I had read said iTunes store, but I guess they were mistaken.

So it is Apple funbucks, instead of iTunes funbucks, but funbucks is funbucks.

Evander on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Can I use it on a service that is not helio though?

I love the phone, but I wish Verizon would carry something like it. They are the only cell carrier to have decent cell service in my area.
    The phone's Helio-only, unfortunately.

That said, Helio's just a MVNO; they use Sprint's network for data and voice, and Verizon as a fallback, so the coverage is fantastic. And their prices are better than pretty much anything. My plan right now has unlimited data, text, IM, GPS Google maps, mobile-to-mobile, free nights and weekends, and 1000 minutes shared with two phones (my girlfriend's got the Fin) for $112/month.

No one else that I've seen competes with that.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    so its ok that helio has a monopoly on the ocean right. shouldnt some of you be calling foul that a cdma phone wont work on verizon?

some people dont even consider the iphone a smartphone so i dont even know anymore nor does it care in my eyes, its all if the phone suits the individuals needs.

Well, the Ocean was designed specifically for the Helio service, and, as such, many of its features simply wouldn't work on other services.

But if you did buy one and unlock it, Helio wouldn't go and brick it to prevent you from using it.

Seriously, if you didn't already own an iPhone, whould you be defending it so fervently? Your posts have a distinct smell of "sour grapes" to them.

you do realize your arguement is a bit lacking. although apple shopped around the iphone it was built specifically for in the US at&t. that is why that even when it is unlocked certain features such as visual voicemail do not work at all (of course regular voicemail works). therefore shouldnt youre arguement for the ocean pertain to the iphone?

also if people had restored their phone prior to updating it AFTER apple made it explicit that hey this might fuck up your phone then their phone would not be bricked. its common sense really.

of course if i didnt own an iphone i wouldnt defend it. i have to use a device to defend it or else then im just spouting nonsense. i just think that some things should be said and straightened out to make this thread fair since it is very anti iphone/apple for some reasons that really shouldnt be. ive had a few cellphones and by far im the most satisfied with the iphone. it has its faults (hi no ichat!) but it also isnt the devil.

ufo on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Morskittar wrote: »
    To be fair, it's not "free" to Apple to provide that. They're still giving time, goods, and value; they'll "lose" cost of goods sold when giving away 100 bucks.

if they are giving out actual product, yes.

if it were just itunes, though, unless there were maybe a few cents on royalties (I don't know exactly how it works for them) it is only a loss of opportunity profit, and if you find me a place for that on your P&L, well, I would really like to see it.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Can I use it on a service that is not helio though?

I love the phone, but I wish Verizon would carry something like it. They are the only cell carrier to have decent cell service in my area.
    The phone's Helio-only, unfortunately.

That said, Helio's just a MVNO; they use Sprint's network for data and voice, and Verizon as a fallback, so the coverage is fantastic. And their prices are better than pretty much anything. My plan right now has unlimited data, text, IM, GPS Google maps, mobile-to-mobile, free nights and weekends, and 1000 minutes shared with two phones (my girlfriend's got the Fin) for $112/month.

That's because they are absolutely bleeding money.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Apple currency has more value than other currency?

Er... ok.

no it has nothing to do with worth it has to do with 100 bucks to be locked into something specific like itunes drm'd music is not what i consider good. however 100 bucks of anything at the apple store regardless if it is made by apple. then that is a better scenario since the store offers a bunch of different things then just songs.

ufo on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

if it were just itunes, though, unless there were maybe a few cents on royalties (I don't know exactly how it works for them) it is only a loss of opportunity profit, and if you find me a place for that on your P&L, well, I would really like to see it.

Yeah. That's why I just said "cost of goods sold" not "considerable amounts of money". :D

Just not, technically, free.

And if I could make a P+L able to factor in lost opportunity in a quantifiable manner, I'd be eating my pizza with diamonds on it, not pepperoni.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007

you do realize your arguement is a bit lacking. although apple shopped around the iphone it was built specifically for in the US at&t. that is why that even when it is unlocked certain features such as visual voicemail do not work at all (of course regular voicemail works). therefore shouldnt youre arguement for the ocean pertain to the iphone?

also if people had restored their phone prior to updating it AFTER apple made it explicit that hey this might fuck up your phone then their phone would not be bricked. its common sense really.

of course if i didnt own an iphone i wouldnt defend it. i have to use a device to defend it or else then im just spouting nonsense. i just think that some things should be said and straightened out to make this thread fair since it is very anti iphone/apple for some reasons that really shouldnt be. ive had a few cellphones and by far im the most satisfied with the iphone. it has its faults (hi no ichat!) but it also isnt the devil.

Yeah, the iPhone was tweaked for AT&T, not designed for it.

And I defend things that I don't have any stake in all the time, if I feel that they are right. You just seem to be acting as though any attack on the iPhone is a personal attack on you, because you chose one.

Don't worry, even if you didn't have an iPhone I STILL wouldn't like you.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Anyway the thing I'm most pissed about is the lack of custom wallpapers on the iphone. My phone is so much uglier since I updated the firmware and lost summerboard. Forcing you to use a black background is stupid.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Yeah, in my particular situation(huge family block plan), The helio plan would cost me more(at least for the features I want/would be willing to pay for).

Septus on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Yeah. That's why I just said "cost of goods sold" not "considerable amounts of money". :D

Just not, technically, free.

And if I could make a P+L able to factor in lost opportunity in a quantifiable manner, I'd be eating my pizza with diamonds on it, not pepperoni.

Dude, you would be able to hire people to eat your diamond encrusted pizza for you, at that point.

I am sure that the RIAA would give you an entire moneysuit if you could teach them how to do that.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Yeah, in my particular situation(huge family block plan), The helio plan would cost me more(at least for the features I want/would be willing to pay for).

I believe that Helio allows you to add lines to your plan

Evander on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    i dont need to have a stake in them however i need to be acquainted with one enough to defend it(when discussing physical products). like hey look i like the idea of the trackball thing that the blackberry pearl has that was taken from the sidekick therefor i should blindly praise rim even though i dont have enough knowledge to do so. super.

ufo on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    ufo, I don't even know what your point is anymore.

Were you not loved enough as a child, or maybe loved too much in the wrong way?

Evander on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    you mean santa wasnt supposed to give me the special touch before i got my presents?

the only point i had originally was that its shitty apple hasnt let third part apps coexist easily however it is nothing new and they did give fair warning to people prior to updating. this was not a forced update.

also since the ocean is running on sprint/verizon what exactly couldnt be tweaked in order for that phones functions to work on the networks they are alreadly working on flawlessly. its just a weak point to say that since the ocean is helio specific it should be spared from others wanting to use it on their cdma lines. or you with your much loved sero plan.

ufo on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    If I knew, I'd do my best to save the world and keep that as far away from the RIAA as possible.

Today's lawsuit was brought forth against everyone in the world, who decided not to buy Avril Lavaigne's new album after hearing a few bars of the first single. The RIAA claims that this unlicensed use of the music led to a loss of infinite sales.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Wait, Helio uses Sprint/Verizon? Dang, I thought it was using AT&T. Well then, guess I'm looking into this more when it comes time to renew a contract. (Unfortunately I just renewed my 2-year with Verizon this past Feb) I pay $90 ($80?) right now for 800minutes and unlimited text/pix from Verizon for 2 phones right now, so if Helio isn't much more in 1.5years then I will be very tempted. Though in 1.5 years we could be using the new band with a whole new slew of phones and services.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    you mean santa wasnt supposed to give me the special touch before i got my presents?

the only point i had originally was that its shitty apple hasnt let third part apps coexist easily however it is nothing new and they did give fair warning to people prior to updating. this was not a forced update.

also since the ocean is running on sprint/verizon what exactly couldnt be tweaked in order for that phones functions to work on the networks they are alreadly working on flawlessly. its just a weak point to say that since the ocean is helio specific it should be spared from others wanting to use it on their cdma lines. or you with your much loved sero plan.

what couldn't be tweaked? whatever the myspacemobile and messaging services and all that Helio offers are are what couldn't be tweaked (not unless you were running on verizon but stealing service fromHelio, or some other thing like that.

The point is that you CAN use the Ocean on other services, assuming you find a way to unlock it. Maybe you'll have to give up some features, but you'll still have the phone, unlike the iPhone, which Apple bricked.

Evander on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Bah, Helio would run me $120 (+gov fees, taxes, etc) for 2 lines with all the specials (Who pays by the minute/kb anymore?). That's unacceptable atm. Not that I would switch right now anyway.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    again this wasnt a forced update if it was an ota and the user had no choice or no warning then yes i would agree with you 100% however the user in most cases had to plug in their phone, press check for updates. and were alerted to the warnings via a long dialogue box prior. there was fair warning and many apple sites were advising those who had hacked phones to either wait or restore to default (or in the case of sim hacks wait till the reverse fix was released). anyone who hacked their phone should have known this because its not like using itoner and then updating bricked your phone.

ufo on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

I am an extra line on my family plan, if I had any other provider I'd have to be on my ownd, and pay $30 more for Helio.

Septus on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

I am an extra line on my family plan, if I had any other provider I'd have to be on my ownd, and pay $30 more for Helio.

I actually did that myself, when I switched over to SERO, but I understand.

Maybe talk your whole familyintoswitching...

Evander on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    again this wasnt a forced update if it was an ota and the user had no choice or no warning then yes i would agree with you 100% however the user in most cases had to plug in their phone, press check for updates. and were alerted to the warnings via a long dialogue box prior. there was fair warning and many apple sites were advising those who had hacked phones to either wait or restore to default (or in the case of sim hacks wait till the reverse fix was released). anyone who hacked their phone should have known this because its not like using itoner and then updating bricked your phone.

This isn't a gamewhere one side is at fault, and the otheris perfectly innocent.

There is no question thatthe folks who got their phonesbricked were idiots.

Theissueisthat, evenifthey warn people, Apple is still putting out an update to brick hacked phones.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    And, for the record, that is not an issue in the "Apple is evil" sense, it's their right to do it.

It's an issue in the "see, I told you that Apple wasn't any different from anyone else" sense

Evander on
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This is a pretty common situation with hardware like this, so I'm not too miffed. Apple can dictate certain terms of how you use their hardware, and because of that, can provide updates to the hardware itself. I'd have a problem if they tried to do this if they weren't continuing to perform a service, but... they are. There's nothing evil about this, I feel. Yeah, it sucks that they're not being open about this, and I'd like to buy a reasonably priced open-sourced alternative, but they're not under any obligation to do that for you. Anyone who buys an iPhone knows this going into it.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    And, for the record, that is not an issue in the "Apple is evil" sense, it's their right to do it.

It's an issue in the "see, I told you that Apple wasn't any different from anyone else" sense

The greater problem is "why are so many deluded about certain businesses being benevolent".

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Just Like ThatJust Like That Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Am I the only human being left on planet Earth that doesn't use a cell phone

Just Like That on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Tobasco wrote: »
    Am I the only human being left on planet Earth that doesn't use a cell phone

Well it's easy to not need a phone if you live in your parent's basement playing World of Warcraft all day!!!one!!!
    Kidding. I have no idea who you are lol.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

The greater problem is "why are so many deluded about certain businesses being benevolent".

I think it just stems from the fact that people think, "I paid money for this. Once it leaves the store, I should be able to do anything I want with it."

And you can have that mentality for this piece of hardware. Apple's saying that if you follow certain guidelines, though, they'll provide further services. It's like voiding your warranty. You can act like you don't have a warranty and do whatever the hell you want with a product. But you paid for the warranty, so you have to factor in whether or not whatever you're doing is worth the risk.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    drhazard wrote: »
    This is a pretty common situation with hardware like this, so I'm not too miffed. Apple can dictate certain terms of how you use their hardware, and because of that, can provide updates to the hardware itself. I'd have a problem if they tried to do this if they weren't continuing to perform a service, but... they are. There's nothing evil about this, I feel. Yeah, it sucks that they're not being open about this, and I'd like to buy a reasonably priced open-sourced alternative, but they're not under any obligation to do that for you. Anyone who buys an iPhone knows this going into it.

I think the issue is just that.

People are buying the iPhone without researching it, expecting it to be at least as open as the other phones out there, or else they are buying the iPhone because they buy into all of Apple's "we're the little guy who is hip and cares about you" marketing bullshit, and don't takethetime to pay attention.

Which is their fault, of course, but it still doesn't help Apple'soverall public perception. Theyhave built the iPod brand partially on the myththat it is easier to use than anything else, but having these sorts of issues with the iPhone start to blow wholes in the facade thatyou can do what you like with your iPod.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, I misspoke. I should have said, "anyone who buys an iPhone is made aware of this going into this."

Also, I think something's wrong with your space bar, Evander. :P

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007

too many people see the world as "good and evil"

and then they see corporations as evil

so they invent this idea that certain corporations are good in order to balance it out

that is my guess

Evander on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    drhazard wrote: »

I think the issue is just that.

People are buying the iPhone without researching it, expecting it to be at least as open as the other phones out there, or else they are buying the iPhone because they buy into all of Apple's "we're the little guy who is hip and cares about you" marketing bullshit, and don't takethetime to pay attention.

Which is their fault, of course, but it still doesn't help Apple'soverall public perception. Theyhave built the iPod brand partially on the myththat it is easier to use than anything else, but having these sorts of issues with the iPhone start to blow wholes in the facade thatyou can do what you like with your iPod.

The 2nd bolded part is exactly why Apple bothers me. I'm not quite sure if it's Apple I hate or those who buy all Apple products thinking they are going against "the man" and being hip/cool.

urahonky on