As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DADDY ISSUES (also itt hells of player-hatin' on mormons)

• Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Uriel wrote: »
    I'm a deist.

No one ever knows what the hell I mean.

You believe that there is some sort of god, but you admit that you can't possibly know what/who it is?

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It's weird

I grew up going to church and stuff

never have met anybody as crazy as the families you people seem to have

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Meissnerd wrote: »
    I'm a deist.

You believe that there is some sort of god, but you admit that you can't possibly know what/who it is?

Isn't that an agnostic?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm a deist.

Yeah, and that it doesn't interact with us. So, an impersonal god.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm a deist.

isn't that agnostic

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited September 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'm a deist.

Isn't that an agnostic?

No, agnostics just don't give a shit.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    deism, you believe in god and all that, but not organized religion, right?

also, this is my careface. :D

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    In religious matters I continue to be befuddled.

I don't quite see the point in most cases.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm a deist.

No

Deists believe there is a God, but He kind of just created everything and then went off to have a beer for eternity

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    slowslow Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm a deist.

See that is almost exactly what I believe, but I would never walk around calling myself a "deist"

It is the sort of thing a douchebag says

slow on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    the reason my mother cannot be permitted to know i am bi is because she'd freak the fuck out

see, here's the thing

years ago, like we are talking about 15 years back or so, my uncle (my mother's brother) is trying to fight against his own homosexuality. realizes he's gay, and he hates himself for it, and his self-hatred has made him an alcoholic.

my mother, who has had to deal with a lot of alcoholism (my father is an alcoholic) sees the signs in her own brother, and eventually gets him to fess up to the source of his drinking problem: he's a big ole gay.

my mother tries to "help" him with his "problem". she tries to get him girlfriends, even hooks him up with one of her best friends. of course, being a gay, it basically didn't go anywhere and it just made him more miserable. but my mom felt she was making "progress" in "curing" him.

so then, like a year later, he meets this gay dude, hits it off real awesomely, and through him comes to accept who he is and stuff.

comes out to his family. my mother is crushed, and feels personally betrayed. it's not that she hates him for being gay, she'll say, but that she was angry at him for "giving up".

she doesn't speak to him for a year, and avoids family gatherings where he is there. he says he hates her for the fucked up shit she put him through, and avoids her too. things come to a head at christmas (christmas is important in my mother's family) when my grandmother puts her foot down and declares the one who doesn't show up is out of the family.

years later, they've finally patched shit up, and my mother has learned to tolerate her brother's homosexuality, but she doesn't accept it.

now

given this

and the previous statement

you understand why my mother doesn't know about me.

Pony on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think religion is pretty important, if you believe in it. Don't say you believe something and then not practise what it requires.

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    150cc150cc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    As7 wrote: »
    One Fi'tty how much of these funny posts come from personal experience?

Surprisingly, most

My father is insane

He is one of those people who is extremely likeable and the most fun person you ever knew for about 40% of the time

The other 60% he is an incredibly pompous and irrational ass who makes everyone around him hate him with a passion

It's depressing really to have a dad that goes from being your best pal to being verbally and physically abusive

My father has:
    - Never once said he was sorry for anything... literally, never once, I can't recall a single time
    - Threatened to kick me out of the house because I had the audacity to go to church in the afternoon, not morning
    - Never once said a single word directly to my girlfriend because she is "not a Christian" and therefore this means in his mind that he should be extremely rude to her... not one word to her ever in almost four years
    - Spanked me I would estimate probably 300 times for such horrifying offenses as leaving the mailbox open when going to get the mail, not properly finishing chores quickly enough, and not eating dinner fast enough. Then right after spanking you he would sit down and watch Looney Tunes with you and laugh and laugh as if nothing happened

150cc on
  • Options
    Mr. ShineMr. Shine Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It's weird

I grew up going to church and stuff

never have met anybody as crazy as the families you people seem to have

Yeah, most people seem kind of cool. I mean, not where I live, but I think that somewhere, cool people who also church it up probably exist.

I don't know what my intended point was.

Mr. Shine on
    Yeah your alias says your captain Jean-Luc Picard of the United Federation of Planets, 'cause he won't speak English anyway.
  • Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My grandparents are fairly religious but that's common for people their age.

Except my grandmother.

She's was a hippy art chick before the hippies were around and I don't know how she ever met and married (and divorced) my grandfather.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    Grandaddy DeliciousGrandaddy Delicious Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Zephyr wrote: »
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    EMOCORE
    SCREAMOCORE
    HARDCORE
    DEATHCORE

All shit.

emocore and screamocore aren't genres

and you're a moron

but music is subjective so bleh

Iron & Wine is a folkcore group and oh my gosh dogg they are awesome

Grandaddy Delicious on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    150cc wrote: »
    Religion in my family has always been something that's "done".

No particular reason to it, doesn't matter which church you go to, as long as you go somewhere because that's what's "done".

Kinda weird way to look at religion I think.

One summer during college I was staying at my family's house

I used to go to church with my friend in the afternoon at his church

My family went in the morning one day and when they came home from church my dad threatened me saying

IF YOU WILL NOT GO TO CHURCH IN THE MORNING THEN YOU WILL NOT BE WELCOME IN THIS HOUSE

BUT DAD I AM GOING TO GO IN ABOUT THREE HOURS WITH MY FRIEND

THIS IS WHAT WE DO IN THIS FAMILY AND WE GO IN THE MORNING AND I AM TIRED OF THE TERRIBLE EXAMPLE YOU ARE SETTING FOR YOUR BROTHERS

BUT I AM STILL GOING TO GO TO CHURCH I AM JUST GOING TO DO IT LATER TODAY

YOU WILL GO TO CHURCH IN THE MORNING OR YOU CAN PACK UP YOUR THINGS

this is not embellished in the least

If you go after noon you will miss football. THIS IS A SIN.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Belruel wrote: »
    my family is mormon D:

when my batshit crazy grandma found out i wasn't mormon anymore she sat there gaping like a fish, then said in a voice that sounded forced:

"Don't worry, you're still my granddaughter."

haha, as if i care.

Belruel do you still wear the sacred underpants

They will protect you from harm you know

(for serious how did you stop being a mormon, that is pretty near impossible to be able to do)

they still try and get me back, if they ever really start being obsessive again i'll just get excommunicated and shut their mouths. my parents still call it "the church" (as in "he is a member of "the church") and talk to me as though i am a member. but oh man, am i ever not.

How in the world did you get away from the Mormon brainwashing

Mormon brainwashing is some of the best because Mormonism is all about what you're feeling and if you feel like it's right it must be true

"I have a burning in my bosom that tells me Mormonism is right so don't you go showing me rational evidence that Joe Smith was a crook and that early Mormons were asshats"

Don't get me wrong I like how nice Mormons are except for the fact that they are often nice in the way Christians are: nice because they have to be, and nice in a pretentious we're better than you way

150cc on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Pony wrote: »
    the reason my mother cannot be permitted to know i am bi is because she'd freak the fuck out

see, here's the thing

years ago, like we are talking about 15 years back or so, my uncle (my mother's brother) is trying to fight against his own homosexuality. realizes he's gay, and he hates himself for it, and his self-hatred has made him an alcoholic.

my mother, who has had to deal with a lot of alcoholism (my father is an alcoholic) sees the signs in her own brother, and eventually gets him to fess up to the source of his drinking problem: he's a big ole gay.

my mother tries to "help" him with his "problem". she tries to get him girlfriends, even hooks him up with one of her best friends. of course, being a gay, it basically didn't go anywhere and it just made him more miserable. but my mom felt she was making "progress" in "curing" him.

so then, like a year later, he meets this gay dude, hits it off real awesomely, and through him comes to accept who he is and stuff.

comes out to his family. my mother is crushed, and feels personally betrayed. it's not that she hates him for being gay, she'll say, but that she was angry at him for "giving up".

she doesn't speak to him for a year, and avoids family gatherings where he is there. he says he hates her for the fucked up shit she put him through, and avoids her too. things come to a head at christmas (christmas is important in my mother's family) when my grandmother puts her foot down and declares the one who doesn't show up is out of the family.

years later, they've finally patched shit up, and my mother has learned to tolerate her brother's homosexuality, but she doesn't accept it.

now

given this

and the previous statement

you understand why my mother doesn't know about me.

my parents can't know i'm bi for related reasons, but they weren't as douchy about it. my uncle was gay and died of aids, but my dad loved his brother to the very end, they just
    'don't plain agree with the gays'
    'we love them, but it isn't acceptable'
    etc.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I would, however, totally call myself a Dio-ist

slow on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

No particular reason to it, doesn't matter which church you go to, as long as you go somewhere because that's what's "done".

My family went in the morning one day and when they came home from church my dad threatened me saying

IF YOU WILL NOT GO TO CHURCH IN THE MORNING THEN YOU WILL NOT BE WELCOME IN THIS HOUSE

THIS IS WHAT WE DO IN THIS FAMILY AND WE GO IN THE MORNING AND I AM TIRED OF THE TERRIBLE EXAMPLE YOU ARE SETTING FOR YOUR BROTHERS

SON THE LORD WILL KNOW THAT YOU'RE NOT WATCHING THE COWBOYS GAME

man I hate that when my dad calls me "son"

150cc on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    slow wrote: »
    I would, however, totally call myself a Dio-ist
    like dio brando
    Why limit myself to one Dio

slow on
  • Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    im like the only person that i know that doesnt go to church/believe in much among my friends/co-workers

its rough being agnostic (i guess thats what you would call me) in the buckle of the bible belt

tugga on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    angry_mom.jpg

YOUNG LADY

IF I EVER CATCH YOU LISTENING TO THAT GREEN DAYS AGAIN YOU WILL LOSE YOUR MUSIC PRIVILEGES

I WILL NOT STAND FOR MUSIC THAT CELEBRATES SODOMY AND THE CREATION OF BASTARD CHILDREN

NOW GO PUT YOUR BILL GAITHER ALBUM INTO THAT PLAYER AND LET'S SING SOME HYMNS

:lol:

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I think religion is pretty important, if you believe in it. Don't say you believe something and then not practise what it requires.

I had a HUUUUGE problem with doing Confirmation, because at that time I wholly rejected religion and Catholicism in particular so the very idea of Confirmation (making the adult choice to serve the Church) seemed directly hypocritical and a lie.

My mother's argument was basically "Just do this for me, and if after, you decide something else, then fine. But have your bases covered"

mom i am pretty sure that is not how sacraments work.

But I did it anyway because I didn't want to fight with her about it.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My father is a hardcore atheist

I'm talking to the point where he starts shouting about how stupid Christians are whenever anything remotely religious catches his attention

Green on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    my family is mormon D:

when my batshit crazy grandma found out i wasn't mormon anymore she sat there gaping like a fish, then said in a voice that sounded forced:

haha, as if i care.

(for serious how did you stop being a mormon, that is pretty near impossible to be able to do)

whatWouldJesusDoThong.png

?

FreddyD on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Pony wrote: »

I had a HUUUUGE problem with doing Confirmation, because at that time I wholly rejected religion and Catholicism in particular so the very idea of Confirmation (making the adult choice to serve the Church) seemed directly hypocritical and a lie.

My mother's argument was basically "Just do this for me, and if after, you decide something else, then fine. But have your bases covered"

mom i am pretty sure that is not how sacraments work.

But I did it anyway because I didn't want to fight with her about it.

That is Protestants too

"JUST SAY YOU BELIEVE IN JESUS AND GET SAVED SO YOU CAN GO TO HEAVEN"

150cc on
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hmm, Jainism's holiest symbol is the swastika.

Sucks for them I guess.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

SON THE LORD WILL KNOW THAT YOU'RE NOT WATCHING THE COWBOYS GAME

man I hate that when my dad calls me "son"

You should start referring to him as "father" or perhaps "man who befouled my mother"

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    ReTardisReTardis Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    tugga wrote: »
    im like the only person that i know that doesnt go to church/believe in much among my friends/co-workers

its rough being agnostic (i guess thats what you would call me) in the buckle of the bible belt
    http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=fa6fSkTwMPA

i live in a neighbourhood exactly like this

WASPs everywhere

getting nasty letters in the mail from people we don't even know because they didn't see me in church gets tiring

I'm sure someone has asked you this before, Teefs, but why do you always link through the Dutch version of Youtube?

ReTardis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    My father calls himself an Apatheist.

"An atheist doesn't believe. An agnostic doesn't know. An apatheist doesn't care."

Pony on
  • Options
    Grandaddy DeliciousGrandaddy Delicious Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    150CC YOU CITED THE GATHERS

YOU ARE MY FAVORITE

NOW QUOTE SOME OF MARK LOWERY'S CHRISTIAN COMEDIC STYLINGS AND I WILL BE FOREVER IN YOUR DEBT

HERE I WILL GIVE YOU A VIDEO OF IT

MAY YOU FIND IT HUMOROUS AND FILTHLESS

Grandaddy Delicious on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2007

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    my family is mormon D:

haha, as if i care.

they still try and get me back, if they ever really start being obsessive again i'll just get excommunicated and shut their mouths. my parents still call it "the church" (as in "he is a member of "the church") and talk to me as though i am a member. but oh man, am i ever not.

How in the world did you get away from the Mormon brainwashing

Mormon brainwashing is some of the best because Mormonism is all about what you're feeling and if you feel like it's right it must be true

"I have a burning in my bosom that tells me Mormonism is right so don't you go showing me rational evidence that Joe Smith was a crook and that early Mormons were asshats"

Don't get me wrong I like how nice Mormons are except for the fact that they are often nice in the way Christians are: nice because they have to be, and nice in a pretentious we're better than you way

haha, i know exactly what you are talking about. i figured out it was all bullshit once and for all when i was 15, i was in 'young womens' and they blatently said to my face "women should only live in the home, and it is their duty to have as many children as their husband may want." also "women may not enter 'the highest level of heaven' (best heaven planet) unless they are 'sealed' to a male holder of the mechelzadick priesthood."

fuck that noise.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Once my mom came up to me and said

"Your church leader is worried about you, (NAME REDACTED)! She says you are not learning your Bible verses as well and you just want to socialize with your friends!"

150cc on