As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines: Colons (UNMARKED SPOILERS, BEWARE)

• INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    No Vampire PCs would kind of be bullshit.

Nobody wants to play mortals, so that leaves what, werewolves? Mages? How are you going to do WoD mages in a video game?

INeedNoSalt on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Just imagine, you throw a fireball in a crowded street and your head explodes.

Yeah I got nothing.

Are they gonna turn it into a WoD urban simulation? Are dudes in dresses going to be blowing things up behind closed doors? Are we going to be running naked through the woods pursued by rabid wolfoids? Will it be a story driven branching multiplayer campaign? I just don't know.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fuga wrote: »
    Man, why do they have to make an mmo and not just another single player game.

What he said.
    Well, nobody bought Bloodlines.

His Corkiness on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I humbly suggest our guild, or whatever they will call them, be named "The Order of Witchaloks" or maybe simply "The Witchaloks".

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I like axen's idea

Also, if they are putting in enough thought of gameplay to be all, "Yeah, Vamp PCs would suck" im guessing they have a suitable alternative.

Really, SWGs core design was a decent idea (though lacking content) without Jedi. I had more fun as a bounty hunter/squad leader/ranger/creature handler than screwing around with the force sensitive stuff.

Theres plenty of characters in WoD that arent vampires.

CangoFett on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    NWoD is perfectly playable as a non-supernatural game, so there's lots of potential there.

Vampires are the minority in every NW game I've played. Mostly Werewolves or Mages.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    NWoD is perfectly playable as a non-supernatural game, so there's lots of potential there.

Vampires are the minority in every NW game I've played. Mostly Werewolves or Mages.

Considering how much material they put out in oWoD it would be statistically likely that this would be the case.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Axen wrote: »
    I humbly suggest our guild, or whatever they will call them, be named "The Order of Witchaloks" or maybe simply "The Witchaloks".

"The Eternal Brotherhood of the Order of the Fraternity of the Witchalok's of Arcadia"

Morkath on
    edited July 2009
    Morkath has it. That's how it's done.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    Agreed.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    As I've said before, I find it very difficult to believe that there won't be PC vampires. Link.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I just read the Wikipedia page on nWoD... It really doesn't sound nearly as cool as oWoD. I don't want to pass judgement without playing the thing, but I think the old setting would make a better MMO, and definitely a better tabletop.

Hensler on
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hensler wrote: »
    So I just read the Wikipedia page on nWoD... It really doesn't sound nearly as cool as oWoD. I don't want to pass judgement without playing the thing, but I think the old setting would make a better MMO, and definitely a better tabletop.

Why?

Personally, I wasn't much of a WW fan during the oWoD days (Wraith/Orpheus were the only games to really catch my attention)...but the nWoD has me hook, line and sinker. I have like a hundred books for the fucking thing. I can't even imagine playing Masquerade but I'd happily run Requiem, for example.

Professor Phobos on
  • DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Playing vampires in the modern day setting would be a recipe for disaster. There'd be so many players running around killing people in the streets breaking the masquerade you wouldn't be able to convincingly keep it going.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Playing vampires in the modern day setting would be a recipe for disaster. There'd be so many players running around killing people in the streets breaking the masquerade you wouldn't be able to convincingly keep it going.

how is this different from any other type of supernatural?

werewolves runnin' around rending the veil, mages exploding themselves with paradox, etc

INeedNoSalt on
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    As I've said before, I find it very difficult to believe that there won't be PC vampires. Link.

I cannot fathom how anyone could make a WoD MMO and not include Vampires as a playable "race". They're like the fucking mascots of the World of Darkness.

If that is true, i'd expect it to get changed sometime between now and release. It's not like you couldn't create a reliable, entertaining system where breaking the Masquerade had severe consequences.

Hell, you could just have everyone start out as a normal human, and add in perma-death for alpha class races, and that'd balance it and fit with the lore. Especially if it was in the OWoD, since the casualty rate for shovelheads in the Sabbat, and idiots who can't figure out when to lay low in the Camarilla is relatively high.

Archonex on
    edited July 2009
    Eh, perma-death would take an already niche market and shrink it even further.

Morkath on
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The WoD strikes me as a really bad setting for an MMO since the vast majority of people aren't supposed to have any supernatural powers at all, or even know such things exist

I mean isn't 99% of the world supposed to just be working stiffs doing their shit and getting oppressed while the remaining 1% are the supernaturals that are actually in the know and doing shit people care about

Duffel on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What about vampire zones in caves, sepulchers, special buildings with sewer access, etc with instanced nighttime PVP and questing zones

TL DR on
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What about vampire zones in caves, sepulchers, special buildings with sewer access, etc with instanced nighttime PVP and questing zones

They said they're going to have multiple cities with timezones reflecting that of the specific cities IRL, airplane flights'll take as many hours as they do IRL.

Do not make me slog through WW's forums again. Most supers have some interaction with natural cycles(Changelings/Mages/Werewolves especially). They intend to simulate that. EvE has started to turn a profit and between with the resources of the CCP Hasbro WotC/WW conglomerate they can afford to do whatever the fuck they like.

Edith Upwards on
    edited July 2009
    My god, that's what they're doing?

That sounds pretty cool.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2009
    Cite.

Tube on
    edited July 2009
    Wait, so if I want to fly from point X to point Y, I get on the plane, then logout for 8 hours?

That sounds retarded.

Morkath on
  • His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Morkath wrote: »
    Wait, so if I want to fly from point X to point Y, I get on the plane, then logout for 8 hours?

That sounds retarded.
    In EVE if you want to fly from point X to point Y you have to stay logged in for 8 hours, so it's an improvement.

His Corkiness on
    edited July 2009

That sounds retarded.
    In EVE if you want to fly from point X to point Y you have to stay logged in for 8 hours, so it's an improvement.

Just because it is an "improvement" doesn't make it any less retarded. If you are designing aspects of your game to keep people out of it, it is a failure.

Morkath on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think the idea would be that you would fly to a city in a timezone that suits you, although I would think just starting there would make more sense. It would kind of suck having to sort that out if you started playing at a different time, though.

L|ama on
    edited July 2009

Great link, thanks. I was looking for something like this just last week, I love retrospectives.

edit: ah poot I was hoping for something like the half life 2 "post mortem" thing. Still good though.

Tube on
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah that's what I'd been expecting, but it remains a good article. I still remember hitting the sewers and instantly realising the best part of the game was over...

For all its flaws Bloodlines is still one of my favourite games- come to think of it, the Source engine has a lot of titles that are all-time favourites despite some gaping holes. Dark Messiah's (humanoid) combat, for example, pretty much makes up for everything else....

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited July 2009
    The game picks right back up again after the sewers. There's still the key quest, the hengeyokai, griffith park, the fu syndicate, the giovanni mansion. Anyone who says you should stop before chinatown is full of shit. I think Hollywood is the weakest part of the game but VV and Ash's quests are still great.

Tube on
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh, I wouldn't advocate stopping playing. But the first part of the game was definitely the best for me. The hotel, the first time you walk into the various clubs... all great.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited July 2009

That sounds retarded.

Just because it is an "improvement" doesn't make it any less retarded. If you are designing aspects of your game to keep people out of it, it is a failure.

Eve's subscriber base would beg to differ on several points there but they're too busy robbing banks and fighting space sharks.

Pity that official information is so difficult to find. My searches came up with various comments about how comments had been taken down, but not what they happened to be at the time.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    edited July 2009
    Chinatown's actually one of my favorite hubs, since it's so much different. After that I'd probably have to say Santa Monica because it pulls off the "creepy little seaside town" very well.

Hollywood definitely needed a little more work; playing through it made me feel like I was just trying to get through it to get back to the fun stuff. I also didn't really like a lot of the side missions in Hollywood (the restuarant critic, the blackmail mission, or even the snuff mission after I'd done it already a couple of times), but I'm still kind of glad that they're in there. A big part of the game's satire is based in and around that level. I laughed my ass off the first time I met David Hatter and he started going on about being a screenwriter and how much different he was than just a writer, and it's still one of the funnier parts of the game.

Hollywood also had one of the best musical themes, but for some reason it barely ever played. It also seemed about half the size of the other hubs but maybe that's just because it's all on one big drag instead of set in a grid.

Duffel on
    edited July 2009
    The only problem with the Santa Monica hub is that it looks nothing like Santa Monica

Tube on
    edited July 2009
    The only problem with the Santa Monica hub is that it looks nothing like Santa Monica
    I've never been to LA personally but I didn't figure any of the other hubs looked like where they're supposed to be either.

I mean wouldn't a realistic Santa Monica hub have just been endless suburban tract developments/condos or something?

I think the hub was supposed to be reminiscent of the creepy California towns we saw in old movies (back when 90% of movies were filmed in the LA area). It wasn't part of the Santa Monica hub but I thought Grout's mansion was basically a Malked-up version of the house overlooking the Bates Motel, at least from the outside.

Duffel on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »

They said they're going to have multiple cities with timezones reflecting that of the specific cities IRL, airplane flights'll take as many hours as they do IRL.

Do not make me slog through WW's forums again. Most supers have some interaction with natural cycles(Changelings/Mages/Werewolves especially). They intend to simulate that. EvE has started to turn a profit and between with the resources of the CCP Hasbro WotC/WW conglomerate they can afford to do whatever the fuck they like.

That seems... kind of dumb. You'd have the vamp PCs ideally in opposite timezones as everyone else. How would servers work like that?

TL DR on
    edited July 2009
    The game picks right back up again after the sewers. There's still the key quest, the hengeyokai, griffith park, the fu syndicate, the giovanni mansion. Anyone who says you should stop before chinatown is full of shit. I think Hollywood is the weakest part of the game but VV and Ash's quests are still great.

Yeah. I would really enjoy either being able to revisit old areas after completing the main quest, or getting some kind of New Game+ feature. I guess it just goes to show how everything's changed. If V:TM-B had been released this year there would be achievements and DLC and unlockable skins left and right.

TL DR on
    edited July 2009
    The problem with playing this game again isn't that it's a lot of fun and takes all your time, but that you're basically crushed by the crippling realization that there are no other games like it and probably never will.

For all its faults, Bloodlines did something other RPGs- even other first person RPGs- haven't been able to do.

EDIT: That article was good but totally wrong- a whole bunch of cool little bits are after Hollywood. Chinatown is awesome.

Professor Phobos on
    edited July 2009
    What's stopping them from eventually coming out with another Vampire game?

Granted it would be the new world of darkness instead of the old but wouldn't it still be pretty interesting?

Duffel on
    edited July 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    What's stopping them from eventually coming out with another Vampire game?

Granted it would be the new world of darkness instead of the old but wouldn't it still be pretty interesting?

Because the people with the rights are making a MMORPG instead of a single player campaign.

And it wouldn't "still" be interesting, it'd be more interesting- Requiem is like twice as awesome as Masquerade. I'll take demon-owls from the fall of Rome over "Hah! Older vampires eat the world!" any day.

I wasn't really just referring to a game like Bloodlines in terms of setting- but in terms of...format. It's my perfect RPG, in terms of the dialog system, etc. First person, which I like. Combat is stat-based but still feels player controlled, which I like. Real dialog, as opposed to something like Oblivion, which I like.

You take the Source engine, you whiz-bang it up to 2009, and you develop the hell out of an RPG for it- I mean, Bloodlines rewards alternative solutions a lot of but not all of the time...get some good voice actors and writers...boom. Great game, right there. Could be any setting- another World of Darkness game, a film noir game in the 1930s with nothing supernatural whatsoever, doesn't matter.

Professor Phobos on