As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines: Colons (UNMARKED SPOILERS, BEWARE)

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't know how it would be balanced...but I think it would be cool to be a Hunter in the MMO...at least roleplaying-wise.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    The problem with playing this game again isn't that it's a lot of fun and takes all your time, but that you're basically crushed by the crippling realization that there are no other games like it and probably never will.

For all its faults, Bloodlines did something other RPGs- even other first person RPGs- haven't been able to do.

EDIT: That article was good but totally wrong- a whole bunch of cool little bits are after Hollywood. Chinatown is awesome.

Deus Ex.

This and Deus Ex.

Deus Ex and this.

Two great games, both got fucked in some way or another, one wont get a sequel and the other...the other did.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    nHunters are badasses, everything from Risking Willpower to Bending Morality around so that vampires don't count as people, and Dark Powers/Unholy Medicine/Advanced Technology make this readily apparent.

At Organization level you have your UFOlogists, netheads with cameras, baptists armed with shotguns and the belief that the Tribulation is near, parapsychologists, archaeologists based out of germany, and THE UNION. I cannot sum up how badass The Union is in mere words.

With Conspiracies you have Catholic witchhunters, the US government, a pharmecutical conglomerate based out of the mediterranean, and a bunch of John Constantine wannabes who beat the shit out of demons.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    nHunters are badasses, everything from Risking Willpower to Bending Morality around so that vampires don't count as people, and Dark Powers/Unholy Medicine/Advanced Technology make this readily apparent.

At Organization level you have your UFOlogists, netheads with cameras, baptists armed with shotguns and the belief that the Tribulation is near, parapsychologists, archaeologists based out of germany, and THE UNION. I cannot sum up how badass The Union is in mere words.

With Conspiracies you have Catholic witchhunters, the US government, a pharmecutical conglomerate based out of the mediterranean, and a bunch of John Constantine wannabes who beat the shit out of demons.
    Sounds like this would make an even more awesome single-player game.

Duffel on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thaumaturgy >>> Bishop Vick. He was almost pathetic. I can only hope it's as good against the Tzimisce's pets.

And tangentially related, I just finished rereading the Gangrel clan novel. The final third gives me better insight into their clan than anything else.

Best of all, the next book is Setite's. Hesha is the coolest character in the entire series.

Well, second maybe to Khalil Ravana.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2009
    I didn't find thaum very effective against vick.

Tube on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Blood Purge, then Strike while he's vomiting. Run, repeat. Oh, and wailing on him with the fire axe in between.

I learned a valuable lesson after fighting the plaguebearers: blood shield is very much a Masquerade breach.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The problem with playing this game again isn't that it's a lot of fun and takes all your time, but that you're basically crushed by the crippling realization that there are no other games like it and probably never will.

For all its faults, Bloodlines did something other RPGs- even other first person RPGs- haven't been able to do.

EDIT: That article was good but totally wrong- a whole bunch of cool little bits are after Hollywood. Chinatown is awesome.

Deus Ex.

This and Deus Ex.

Deus Ex and this.

Two great games, both got fucked in some way or another, one wont get a sequel and the other...the other did.

Deus Ex is getting a threequel isn't it? Hmm.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Duffel wrote: »

Sounds like this would make an even more awesome single-player game.

Pretty much. There are very few franchises that I feel would benefit more from an MMORPG than a plain old single player one.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    my game now crashes every time I talk to heather

awesome

Tube on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I already sent her packing. It was just too creepy.

"Here's my college loan! I'll drop out! Give me blood! Give give give!"

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to send her packing without giving her blood at least once. I've been sitting here trying out dialogue combinations.

Tube on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Heather is the weird girl you save in the hospital right? She's been giving me money and dragged some guy back to get eaten but she hasn't actually asked me for blood yet.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    If you've gotten to that point she must have done

Tube on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Is it an animation or just a dialogue event? If the latter I probably just missed it.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It's just dialogue, it's the first thing that happens with her at the haven

Tube on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I remember trying to get the best armour in the game from Heather but couldn't without restarting and reffering to a walkthrough guide. Long story short I was so dissapointed that there was not a new set of armour to wear but rather just a stat increase to your exsisting armour(s).

Lame!

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, but it's possible to miss a lot of stuff involving Heather if you don't talk to her at the right times.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, but it's possible to miss a lot of stuff involving Heather if you don't talk to her at the right times.
    It's really easy to forget about Heather entirely, it's one reason I always reject her. It just makes me feel kind of bad when I realize I haven't been to see my ghoul in four or five missions (apparently the equivalent of several weeks/months).

Duffel on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    are there more than like, four armors in the game, or is that it? It seemed like I was wearing those assless chaps for quite a while

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    There are 4 per clan and per sex. So 56.

Tube on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Are there ANY other RPGs that take place in the modern/near-modern timeframe like Bloodlines? I can't think of any. Deus Ex was near future, and thats the closest I can come up with.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Strictly first person, or RPGs in general? All the Persona games have modern settings.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    JRPG-Japan. Japan counts as futuristic.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    True, but not every JRPG is about stalking a serial killer who wears a paper bag over his head where the party consists of a magazine reporter, a Taiwanese extortionist, and a police detective.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hensler wrote: »
    Are there ANY other RPGs that take place in the modern/near-modern timeframe like Bloodlines? I can't think of any. Deus Ex was near future, and thats the closest I can come up with.

Alpha protocol should be when it comes out.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Axen wrote: »

Deus Ex.

This and Deus Ex.

Deus Ex and this.

Yeah but itll probably end up being a shooter rather than what made Deus Ex fun.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Persona 4 is much more down to earth in terms of setting. The most futuristic things in the game are HD TVs and cell phones. It's also set in a rural area so only normal cell phones too, not the GPS/tricorder/flux capacitor/combine to form Devestator/Tardis deals you find in Tokyo.

Granted, the dungeon crawling takes place inside alternate dimensions formed from suppressed anxieties pulled from the subconscious of various characters and given life so the real world setting isn't as pervasive as Vampire's.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Deus Ex.

This and Deus Ex.

Deus Ex and this.

Yeah but itll probably end up being a shooter rather than what made Deus Ex fun.

Alas, Deus Ex we hardly knew ye.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Deus Ex.

This and Deus Ex.

Deus Ex and this.

Well, the Deus Ex shooter spin off, Operation: Snowblind, was actually fun. Not nearly as good as as Deus Ex, but still a good way to spend a weekend.

Hensler on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

Persona 4 is much more down to earth in terms of setting. The most futuristic things in the game are HD TVs and cell phones. It's also set in a rural area so only normal cell phones too, not the GPS/tricorder/flux capacitor/combine to form Devestator/Tardis deals you find in Tokyo.

Granted, the dungeon crawling takes place inside alternate dimensions formed from suppressed anxieties pulled from the subconscious of various characters and given life so the real world setting isn't as pervasive as Vampire's.

I thought that Persona 3 would fall under this. Except for the Robo Action Girl and the ninja dog.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Persona 3 was more "take unrealistic anime cliches and turn them into original story that feels believable".

Persona 4 is a much more grounded tale all 'round.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Persona 2 is the one I'd most recommend to a new comer, because it's the most adult of the series.

Probably the most realistically adult JRPG ever made.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hensler wrote: »

Deus Ex.

This and Deus Ex.

Deus Ex and this.

Well, the Deus Ex shooter spin off, Operation: Snowblind, was actually fun. Not nearly as good as as Deus Ex, but still a good way to spend a weekend.
    Project: Snowblind. I've been meaning to play that for years. Looks like a fun little game. Maybe someday it will come to Steam.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You know what I wish Bloodlines had? More supernatural cameos. A Mage, Demon, Mummy, Changeling, or Wraith could have added even more spice to what was already an incredibly rich game. A lot of the pointless content of the last third of the game could be cut to allow for that kind of extra content, but I digress.

Also, it's a shame that later on there weren't more social options. Andrei, for example, seems to me like the kind of person who could have been convinced not to just outright try to kill you. It might lead to some rather unpleasant conversations with the Prince later on, but it would still mean being able to get through the game without fighting much. Bishop Vick was the same; mad though he was, the entire quest was almost begging to have conversation options to resolve things without violence.

Well, fingers crossed that the NWoD MMO works out well, and that a single player game based on the NWoD gets properly developed. The new setting is incredibly rich and diverse; with a good story, you could have a game that would make Bloodlines seem crap in comparison.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I was kinda disappointed in the ending of this game.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What about that vampire hunter who teleports. I'm clueless about old mage, but teleporting strikes me as incredibly mage like.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I kind of like it. Simple and to the point. It's more about the journey, or something.

I still hate the final boss, of course.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Dubh wrote: »
    What about that vampire hunter who teleports. I'm clueless about old mage, but teleporting strikes me as incredibly mage like.

It's not impossible. If he had been a Mage, the Paradox would have done nasty nasty things.

If Mages practice improbable magic in front of people who aren't Mages, it usually backlashes on the caster.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dubh wrote: »

I took this as Troika taking liberties with True Faith, since teleporting around isn't very WoD mage-like.

INeedNoSalt on