As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bio[Chat]

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    do not get me started on fucking foucault

Okay.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited October 2007
    _J_ wrote: »
    Fuck damn it. I have to work tomorrow.
    FUCK DAMN IT.

Night.

Dude that is herd behavior. You should just hole up in an attic somewhere and spew vitriol to the sound of no one giving a shit.

It's much more enlightened.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    I knew a guy named Elliot. He drove a DeLorean with a Chevy 4.3L V6 in it.

That was him.
    He threw a flux capacitor in that shit, warped back to 1927, moved to England, and wrote Four Quartets.

I don't think so. That doesn't seem his style. He was more into ridiculous cars than quartets.

ViolentChemistry on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Senj, what don't you like about Foucault?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

edited October 2007
    Foucault

do not get me started on fucking foucault

Why? Did he climax prematurely or something?

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    grar

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    skeyyp

hugaz and skisses

zenynu

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Is Foucault considered a continental philosopher?
    Because I really like Foucault, too.

You got The Gaze Feral?

Low Key on
    edited October 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    grar

ARRRR.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited October 2007
    grar

Cat: Font of eloquence.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2007
    Man I read a Foucault book and all I really got from it was "history is written by the victors" with lots of esoteric verbiage and nearly indecipherable phrasing.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    hahaha cat i ove you and you making people look raelly sikyy

it make s my day in class sometimes

cel tamkes me ggiel too

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited October 2007
    I like drunken Zen.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Post-structuralism makes me stabby

edit: what will said, too. He was an earlier pioneer in the "I have nothing interesting to say so I'm going to take forever to say it and use awkward, ungrammatical constructions to throw the gullible off" field

Senjutsu on
  • IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Zen, are you actually poasting while inebriated or are you just having some fun with your keyboard?

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2007
    Low Key wrote: »

You got The Gaze Feral?

I hope not. I wanted to be a therapist before I wanted to be a doctor.

Feral on

edited October 2007
    awwwwwwwwww i like you too

your soo cute sometimes and special

knida emo thouh gotta get through thata [port

otherwisar your okay

Zen Vulgarity on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited October 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »
    I've known a good number of hipsters that I liked a lot, and some that I thought were poseurs or dickheads or douchebags. I guess it's pretty much that way with any "kind" of people, though it does kind of seem like hipsters are a little more up-front with whatever traits they have that might piss you off.

Ultimately what bugs me about it is that it's a lifestyle choice - like WASPishness or a chav/hesher (great word btw) or anime geekiness or whatever - and like all even semi-popular lifestyles it comes with its little selection of tastes and fashions and publications and so on all designed to reinforce membership in the club, but so many people who are in it firmly deny that they're in it. At least the guy with the team colors daubed on his manboobs will cheerfully admit to being a sports nut.

But despite all that I'm closer to the hipsters than the football fans. Such is my curse.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited October 2007

cel tamkes me ggiel too

you

give me your alcohol

i don't want to be sober this afternoon

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man I read a Foucault book and all I really got from it was "history is written by the victors" with lots of esoteric verbiage and nearly indecipherable phrasing.
    Eh -- from what I've gathered, it's more than that, but that's definitely part of it.

The big thing I got filtered down to me from Foucault was "context is everything," which seems accurate to me. I have his famous book, the History of Madness or whatever, and I intend to read it sometime before I die.

The Green Eyed Monster on
    edited October 2007
    awwwwwwwwww i like you too

your soo cute sometimes and special

knida emo thouh gotta get through thata [port

otherwisar your okay

<3

sdrawkcaB emaN on
    edited October 2007
    nonono i probabbyl drank too much and im too lay to fsi the errotsz

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

If there's anything more incomprehensible than esoteric philosophy, it's estoteric philosophy in another language.

Low Key on
    edited October 2007

cel tamkes me ggiel too

you

give me your alcohol

i don't want to be sober this afternoon

awwwwwwwwwww why?

being sobe's good when playing tf2

hard ot snipe and drink

REMMEBER KIS+

DONT DIRNK AND SNIPE

Zen Vulgarity on
  • The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Notorious B.I.G. > T.S. Elliot, extensive critical career or not.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • MrBallbagginsMrBallbaggins Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm tired of being unemployed.

Somebody get me a job.

MrBallbaggins on
    edited October 2007
    did someone hide the new topic button? what the fuck is wrong with you people?

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited October 2007
    you want to be my personal ball washer?

Somebody get me a job.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

Post-structuralism makes me stabby

edit: what will said, too. He was an earlier pioneer in the "I have nothing interesting to say so I'm going to take forever to say it and use awkward, ungrammatical constructions to throw the gullible off" field

Its the "stumbling undergrad" approach to essay writing eh?

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
    edited October 2007
    you want to be my personal ball washer?

Somebody get me a job.

Depends. How good's the dental plan?

MrBallbaggins on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

See what I did there

Senjutsu on
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh continental philosophy you so crazy

you were developed because masturbating into a sock was deemed too useful
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Continental philosophy is a term that originated among English-speaking philosophers to describe various philosophical traditions strongly influenced by certain 19th and 20th century philosophers from mainland Europe. The term is typically used in contrast with analytic philosophy. The traditions comprising continental philosophy include German idealism, phenomenology, existentialism and its antecedents, hermeneutics, structuralism, post-structuralism, French feminism, and the critical theory of the Frankfurt School and some other branches of western Marxism

wut?

Analytic philosophy is real philosophy, it is concerned with things such as epistemology, ratioanl constructions of ethics, the philosophy of science and mind things like this. It is focused upon argument, rational support, consistency and logic. If I were to summarise it, I would say "How do we know the things we know?".

Continental philosophy on the other hand (in its most modern incarnation especially of Post-Modernism, which is pretty much simply a rebranding of post-structuralism) is what most people think of when they hear the term "philosophy". Obscure, incomprehensible phrases, no clear argument - it's the stuff about Whether the Nothing nothings, and There is no truth. Continental philosophy is now nothing but word games (and wasn't much better than that when it first appeared).

Analytic philosophy is real philosophy, continental philosophy is pesudo-philosophy, metaphysics, bullshit. Post-Modernism can die in a fire, and anyone who paved the way for it should be reviled, not admired.

Apothe0sis on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited October 2007
    What bugged me about Foucault (why am I only writing about things that bother me? I'll try and correct this later) is that he's all "everything is fluid, meaning is relative, nothing can be said with certainty, and if you try to impose meaning then you are FASCIST. EVIL, EVIL FASCIST. And FASCISM is BAD, and that is NOT RELATIVE."

And I'm like o_O

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • LindenLinden Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So, is the Nietzsche in this thread gone? Is it safe?

Why is Zen lacking comprehensibility?

Linden on
    edited October 2007
    I want TF2.
    I wonder if it's going to be offered separately after Orange Box comes out, because I realized that I don't care all that much about HL single player.

Feral on

edited October 2007
    We made it!

MrBallbaggins on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'll leave this [chat] when I'm good and ready

Elendil on
    edited October 2007
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    What bugged me about Foucault (why am I only writing about things that bother me? I'll try and correct this later) is that he's all "everything is fluid, meaning is relative, nothing can be said with certainty, and if you try to impose meaning then you are FASCIST. EVIL, EVIL FASCIST. And FASCISM is BAD, and that is NOT RELATIVE."

And I'm like o_O

Fascist.

Feral on

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Linden wrote: »
    So, is the Nietzsche in this thread gone? Is it safe?

Why is Zen lacking comprehensibility?

Drunk like a Skunk. Or however that goes.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
    edited October 2007

Well, I for one can't sleep. And it looks like what's wrong with _J_ is that he loves Nietzsche. And Will's in denial about his hipster-status. Zen's drunk...

ViolentChemistry on
This discussion has been closed.