As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Canadian Gamer

clarkwerkclarkwerk Registered User new member
edited October 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Tycho, thank you for mentioning the ludicrous price of videogames in Canada. Most people I know who play games can't afford to buy new, so we pirate everything then wait a month and maybie buy a used copy from EB. Its unfortunate, that the pricing structure of videogames prevents people from buying games instead of encouraging them. Greed is going to ruin the industry that I love.

clarkwerk on

• Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Pirate talk? GTFO :arrow:

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Alternatively, I use Steam, I don't pay $Alberta like the Canadian stores would charge me, and let my roommate buy games for his 360. However, this does affect me when I go to buy games for my Wii.

Oats on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    clarkwerk wrote: »
    Tycho, thank you for mentioning the ludicrous price of videogames in Canada. Most people I know who play games can't afford to buy new, so we pirate everything then wait a month and maybie buy a used copy from EB. Its unfortunate, that the pricing structure of videogames prevents people from buying games instead of encouraging them. Greed is going to ruin the industry that I love.

That's interesting. I simply don't play games I don't intend to buy. Just because it's more expensive up here doesn't give you the right to download them for free. That's a REALLY weak excuse for something that is morally questionable.

Also, what exactly does $Alberta mean, and where did it come from?

Nova_C on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It could be worse..we could be in australia. Also alberta is canadas texas, hence $texas turns into $alberta

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    GOD DAMN BEING A GAMER IN AUSTRALIA

TIS A FATE WORSE THAN DEATHE

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm pretty sure $Alberta refers literally to the price for which one would sell Alberta, or figuratively for a whole lotta cash. No idea where it came from unless it's direct take off of $Texas.

For the most part, I just buy used and older game. The company probably gets about as much cash as if I were to pirate though. I'll buy new for select games, but those are pretty few and far between.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    thefaisthefais Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Canadians have been getting a raw deal with the exchange rate for a while now... It's only since the dollar's gotten to par has the gamer been in trouble.

Books are the worst. Books are often marked up as much as 50% from the US price. Clothes are equally bad, with similar markups; in some case reaching double the price of the same product south of the border. Fortunately for those of us within striking distance of the US (which is most of us), our dollar goes pretty far. I plan on going to Buffalo next week to spend some of my more valuable coinage.

thefais on
  • Options
    RhakaRhaka Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm in Europe, I buy all my games new and whenever possibly I ruthlessly exploit weaker currencies through importing.

I'm gonna have to start dipping into my internal organs soon.

Rhaka on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Rhaka wrote: »
    whenever possibly I ruthlessly exploit weaker currencies through importing.

Goes double for the UK.

japan on
  • Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Atleast Canadians can look forward to the prices of our games going down, or, atleast they have started to already. In recent months I have bought new Wii games for around $50 where as when I was buy 'Cube games when they first came out I was paying upwards of $70 for crap like Spyhunter.

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2007
    Canadians get boned on all manner of imported goods. It's kind of the price of having basically no domestic industries besides exporting lumber.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I just don't buy console games until I can get them for $49.99 or less. Anything more than 50 dollars is a fucking rip.

And don't even get me started about Microsoft Points.

Azio on
  • Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Canadians get boned on all manner of imported goods. It's kind of the price of having basically no domestic industries besides exporting lumber.

Natural gas and Oil, textiles, fisheries, and dried&salted elk penises out of the north.

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2007
    Honestly, most entertainment industries run through the US (which apparently includes the vidja game industry in spite of the fact that many developers hail from all over the globe) tend to shaft Europe and Canada and I assume pretty much everywhere else as well. On balance, you guys make up for it in prescription meds though.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ZonkytonkmanZonkytonkman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    aren't a lot of lot of games developed here in vancouver?

or do you just mean the manufacturing?

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I have actually got some smaller bookstore chains where I live to sell to me for the US price by complaining a whole fucking lot..I've considered trying it elsewhere.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Yeah it's kind of puzzling. UbiSoft, for instance, does a ton of development in Canada, but I guess because they're published through a Microsoft license, it's MS who sets pricing. This seems to be about the same pattern as US record publishers and the movie industry.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    to be honest

I really think it's just that they know that canadians are used to paying more.

Shit, we've been close enough to even for ages now, this price discrepancy is nothing new, it's only now that people are thinking to complain, for the most part. The companies know they can get away with it, so they do.

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    to be honest

I really think it's just that they know that canadians are used to paying more.

Shit, we've been close enough to even for ages now, this price discrepancy is nothing new, it's only now that people are thinking to complain, for the most part. The companies know they can get away with it, so they do.

Exactly. The only thing that changes in mine (and many others) minds is that now we can buy shit from the States for cheaper. I for one don't expect any of our goods to go down in price just because our dollar is better compared to the US dollar. It'd be a logistical nightmare for every company that imports goods to adjust their prices every time the dollar ratio fluctuated. Not to mention that given enough time, our dollar will (hopefully) steady back down to at least a slightly-more-reasonable level. So no, I don't expect prices to change at all. Besides, we've all gotten used to them now anyway.

Well, except for books/magazines. Why they're are the biggest rip-off out of all the industries, I'll never know. No other one that I can think of gets away with a average price difference of 30-50% like they do.

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Honestly, most entertainment industries run through the US (which apparently includes the vidja game industry in spite of the fact that many developers hail from all over the globe) tend to shaft Europe and Canada and I assume pretty much everywhere else as well. On balance, you guys make up for it in prescription meds though.

How much Xanax is it for a 360 again?

shryke on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

Yes. EA is here for example. The FIFA and NHL games are made in their Burnaby studio IIRC. Possibly the NBA game too.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I believe sims as well. A buddy of mine works there.

Fuck, there's actually a shitton of development studios in Van. The number of gaming industry types i meet around here is bananas

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Montreal, Vancouver, plus one, little-known studio in Edmonton called Bioware.

We've got lots of talent here.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Toronto's got a bunch of video game companies here.

You can't go five blocks down town without finding a 3d animation studio.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    so, kind of ontopic

A 720 p projector that i've been looking at is 560 at tigerdirect.com

$980 at tigerdirec.ca for the exact same package

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    We do get ripped off a little compared to americans, but gaming still is a pretty affordable hobby. Many games end up costing me less than $1 per hour of play, not many form of entertainement are that wallet friendly.

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    A quick trip to a currency converter told me that the average Australian 360 game costs $98 USD.

$98 USD.

Iriah on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I buy new almost exclusively, and many times deluxe editions (collector's editions) if they're available.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    youd think that software would be the one thing available for the same price everywhere.

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Iriah wrote: »
    A quick trip to a currency converter told me that the average Australian 360 game costs $98 USD.

$98 USD.

I see your 98$ and raise you 13$. So 111 US$ for a new 360 game in Norway.

Hell I import all my handheld games from Canade because it's cheaper.
    I'm not sure how much more I would pay for a game to not have french text on the box, but it's not twice as much.

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Iriah wrote: »

$98 USD.

this is why you should buy a ps3 and exploit (utilise?) the region-free games

it's only by taking away the local market's business that the publishers will start to realise such ridiculous prices (not to mention long waits) are really not helping the industry. at all.

sadly i don't think there are enough consumers in the know about these kinds of things for such a move to ever force real change

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    djklaydjklay Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You don't like Canadian prices? Order from Ebay, or somewhere online. We pay what, $10 more on average? I'm actually hoping Americans start paying more for stuff than the price is lowered in Canada. It's not cause the CAD is worth more it's cause USD is worth less.

djklay on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The prices on goods in Canada has always hovered around a 20% markup after exchange.

Because of the 20% markup as well as delayed exchange rate normalization pricing, it has become extremely noticable.

The only reason the retailers got away with it for so long is because people were too lazy to pull out a calculator.

To the OP: Get a job and pay people for the work they produce. I'm all for cutting the middlemen out of the profit pie, but stealing software and then if you like it a whole lot you might pay for a full copy is bullshit.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Why don't you Canucks just make friends with some Americans who can send you stuff. AFAIK you guys are in the same region as the US and have the same broadcast standards (NTSC). And I mean 90% of you live within, like 100m of the US border. It just seems like it would be a worthwhile proposition to have your buddy mail games to you.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png