Options

Keep your fucking Wii-related puns out of this thread.

• Options
    potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    still haven't figured out how it all gets in there in the first place

potatoe on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Damn it, you guys are making me want to go out and get SSBM.

If only I didn't have to get a GC controller and memory card too :(

Moriveth on
  • Options
    DirkMaximusDirkMaximus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So is Spider-Man: Friend or Foe any fun?

Alternatively, if I had the choice of getting it for the Wii or the PS2, which should I get it for?

DirkMaximus on
  • Options
    Octopus MelodyOctopus Melody Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Defender wrote: »
    See, that's where you hit the problem.

You have two good ideas, and you're putting them in one game, but you can't get them both to work at the same time. If you're going to put two good ideas into one game, you have to do the extra work to make them mesh well. For example, Warcraft 3, again. Heroes are great. Micro-intensive (Warden, Demon Hunter, Blademaster really stand out in this regard) individual units. That's a great idea, pretty much every single-player action game is a micro-intensive, one-unit game. Also, army management. Mixing troop types, picking which upgrades you need and prioritizing money so you get the most bang for your buck. And additionally, map/economy/territory control. You know, gold mines, expansions, creep camps, neutral structures like merchants/fountains/etc. There you have three pretty solid ideas.

But can you really combine "hectic, chance filled" gameplay with "structured, pure skill" gameplay? I think the purpose of the game's default settings is the first one. If you change the settings, you can implement the second. I dunno if it was designed that way, or was just a good mistake. That a decent skill-based fighting game was lurking inside a crazy party game, and some people discovered this and therefore brought it into the tourney scene.

Octopus Melody on
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The way this discussing is being taken its like Smash Bros is a really serious fighting game or something when its clearly not.

Its almost a party game as much of a fighting game.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    potatoe wrote: »
    well, as much as i would like to not agree with defender on this one, i can see where he's coming from, and i have to kind of agree

from what i gather, defender is the kind of gamer that plays to compete, not just for "ohoho this is fun throwing pokeballs at each other." (correct me if i'm wrong on that one, that's just what i've come to understand)

Well, depends on what you mean by "play to compete." I mean, I play single-player games, so there's no human opponent there. But I also do play Warcraft ladder matches a lot. What I really like is solid gameplay, and that means layers of skill and interesting depth. Now, that doesn't mean that I don't like story-driven experiences, and I do appreciate that a 40-hour epic simply can't be done as a movie, it needs to be a game, because movies just can't run for 40 hours and have a lot of time where the characters are just kinda hanging out and being themselves in repetitive settings, whereas games can, because players are doing fun stuff in that time. So it's not to the exclusion of all other traits that I like gameplay depth, but I do believe that gameplay depth is the single element that games as an art form have added, and therefore I really like games that make use of that element.

But on the whole, yeah, what you said is basically what I'm saying. Oh, about "customizable matches." I'd love for Soul Calibur to allow the weird rules and conditions that it has in its mission mode (like "you're in quicksand" or "whoever got hit last will take 'poison damage' over time" or "getting hit makes you move faster") to be used in 2-player mode. They already let you use the extra weapons, so it'd be cool to have the status effects and stuff too. The thing about Soul Calibur is that the base game, with no weird-ass weapons or conditions, is really fun and really well-balanced in general. It's not hard to figure out what "standard tournament mode" should be, and that mode has the fun and the balance that a good game should have. Those extra weapons and shit are OBVIOUSLY not balanced for "serious" play, and they're fun to goof around with and all, but you know that you're not playing the normal, fair, balanced, well-designed version when you do that.

Defender on
  • Options
    OrestesOrestes Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hi Defender, how are you?

Orestes on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    See, that's where you hit the problem.

You have two good ideas, and you're putting them in one game, but you can't get them both to work at the same time. If you're going to put two good ideas into one game, you have to do the extra work to make them mesh well. For example, Warcraft 3, again. Heroes are great. Micro-intensive (Warden, Demon Hunter, Blademaster really stand out in this regard) individual units. That's a great idea, pretty much every single-player action game is a micro-intensive, one-unit game. Also, army management. Mixing troop types, picking which upgrades you need and prioritizing money so you get the most bang for your buck. And additionally, map/economy/territory control. You know, gold mines, expansions, creep camps, neutral structures like merchants/fountains/etc. There you have three pretty solid ideas.

But can you really combine "hectic, chance filled" gameplay with "structured, pure skill" gameplay? I think the purpose of the game's default settings is the first one. If you change the settings, you can implement the second. I dunno if it was designed that way, or was just a good mistake. That a decent skill-based fighting game was lurking inside a crazy party game, and some people discovered this and therefore brought it into the tourney scene.

Whether it's a party game or a well-balanced fighting game isn't an issue on which I'm attempting to provide an answer. However, I would suggest that if it is indeed a fighting game, then it should not be up to the user to define the rule set like that. That would be like sitting down to play chess and then having to decide what the victory conditions are and how the pieces can move. That's very bad for a skill-based game. So if Smash is being billed as a well-made fighting game, this issue makes that billing a little bit questionable. At the very least, there should be a "tournament settings" button somewhere in the menu.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Orestes wrote: »

I am pretty good. I actually worked both days this weekend to meet a release date, but fortunately, I really like my job, so it's been a pretty fun weekend.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

I am pretty good. I actually worked both days this weekend to meet a release date, but fortunately, I really like my job, so it's been a pretty fun weekend.

Did you meet the release date?

Was the final product up to your statisfaction?

No corners where cut?

Orestes on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    he was making a sphere you dolt

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Well.

Was the sphere perfectly round?

Was it up to the size satisfaction?

Was it built on time?

Orestes on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    lol dark

Seriously on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    The sphere was not perfect, but it was acceptable. Unfortunately, the time and money it would take to make a perfect sphere was beyond what we had. However, this is absolutely always the case every single time a sphere is made, so it's OK.

Defender on
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    potatoe wrote: »
    still haven't figured out how it all gets in there in the first place

It's really hard to wake you up, you know.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    What VC games should I get?

Orestes on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Zelda 3. Metroid 3. Kid Icarus. Zelda 2, if it's up. Konami's SNES Prince of Persia (not Prince 2, not the NES version, the Konami SNES Prince 1), though I sincerely doubt that you can get that.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    That sores me so bad.

Why can't I play Super Metriod with the Wiimote?

I don't have a gamecube controller.

Now I have to wait until Monday to play the games I've bought.

Orestes on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I dunno I mean you really do use all of the buttons on the SNES controller to play Super Metroid though. Actually...I think that there might be one button that you don't...no, you need them all.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I'm just upset because I didn't think of it.

Orestes on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    So you don't have anything but the Wiimote? You don't have a Classic Controller or whatever?

Defender on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Nope.

I was like "Hmmm, I might need that later on, I'll see if I'll need it, then buy it"

I need it now, but now is a holiday.

I downloaded 3 games, all 3 of them need the "Classic Controller" or a GC controller.

I'm pretty smart, hu?

Orestes on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    i would say just pick up a cheap gamecube controller

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    When I bought my SNES, it came with Super Mario World and two controllers. Shit, my NES came with like two controllers, SMB, Duck Hunt (separate carts), and a gun, I think.

Consoles are coming with less and less shit. At least they still include a fucking controller. And with the latest consoles, the lack of a memory card is no longer a problem, so that's good.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Where would I get that on a Sunday... a Thanksgiving Sunday?

These magical places with cheap GC controllers don't exist ya know.

At least not in my hick town.

Orestes on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    moer liek lamecube m i rite

oops wrong generation (sorta)

moer liek wiiece of shit m i rite

Man, this is surprisingly easy.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Where would I get that on a Sunday... a Thanksgiving Sunday?

These magical places with cheap GC controllers don't exist ya know.

At least not in my hick town.

Is it like Canadian Thanksgiving or something? I'm in the USA and ours isn't for like another month and a half.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    more like makes you wiip

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    wiiners all over my face

wait no that sounds good

Defender on
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Wii puns are easy, yes.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    It is Canadian Thanksgiving.

Orestes on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I just mean in general "bashing" something by making a third-grade name-calling insult out of its name.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    It is Canadian Thanksgiving.

What the hell do you guys have to thankful for? Public healthcare?

Defender on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I don't know.

Maybe it's religious? Perhaps it has something to do with.. errm.. something?

Orestes on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    national "we're hungry, eh" day

potatoe on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] new member
    edited October 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    51st state lolxorz

Defender on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Can you name all the Canadian provinces?

Because I sure as hell can't name all the American states.

Orestes on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] new member
    edited October 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    You missed a bunch.

Northwest Territories is actually a territory.

Saskatchewan, Manitoba, New Brunswick.

Orestes on
This discussion has been closed.