As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Router Thunderdome!

hoodie13hoodie13 punch broRegistered User regular
edited October 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Two routers enter, one router leaves!

As of late, my internet has been shitty. Before, it was the cable provider. Now, it's the actual router itself. We've done tests (piping it directly through the modem, then the router), and it's definitely the router. So now I'm looking for a new one. We were previously using a Link-sys WRT54G, but it was two years old and is now completely crapping out. I'm thinking about upgrading to the Link-sys WRT54GS.

So here's where I need your help. Has anyone used this GS model? It looks like it's got a ton of awards... Should I just spend the money to upgrade to that? Or should I stick with the model I used and enjoyed (for two years, until it died)?

PSN: HoodieThirteen
XBL: Torn Hoodie
@hoodiethirteen
hoodie13 on

• Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Before you pitch the WRT54G, you might try installing an alternative firmware such as DD-WRT on it and seeing whether it fixes your problems.

The history of the venerable WRT54G is interesting; versions 1-4 of the router had 4MB of flash for firmware and ran a Linux-based system on them. Versions 5+ have 2MB and run some closed OS, VxWorks if I recall, and these were not hackable. For a while there was an impasse because people liked hacking their WRT54Gs and so Linksys released the WRT54GL (L for Linux) which was basically the V4 hardware. The GL costs about $10-20 more than the plain G. Later, the hackers figured out how to remove VxWorks and replace it with a scaled down (to fit in the 2MB rather than 4MB) firmware, so you can run DD-WRT on just about any WRT54G derivative, but it's easier to install on a v4 (or earlier) or a GL.

I'm running DD-WRT on a WRT54GL; I installed it when I was getting random connection drops on a new laptop. This turned out to be a buggy wireless driver on the laptop and so I didn't really need to flash it, but DD-WRT works just dandy and so I left it.

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm running DD-WRT on a WRT54G, v.8. It was quite painless to set it up, as long as I had the right chipset.

However, since the OP's current router is crapping out, I agree with the Dr that the OP should at least try it. If it doesn't work, you'll get another router anyway.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    He could always get the EXXXTRREEEEMMMMMEEEEGamer edition router.

41FZY6mJAKL.jpg

What are they doing with these? Is this the bastard child of a cable modem and a 60s robot?

Muriden on
    MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png