Options

This is where I live. NSF56K

• Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    I was just thinking of a thread like this!

I shall return later with pictures.

Medopine on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I will go to Everest just to cockwag at you mountain elitists.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I just recently relocated to Korea, and am living just south of Seoul in a satellite city called Anyang. It's a concrete jungle, but there are a ton of hikes and stuff to do around here. My pics will rape the h-scroll, as they are taken in widescreen format on my brand new camera.
    This is what I see when looking directly out my window... not that impressive.
    P1000128.jpg

This one is looking right towards the market that I live in.
    P1000131.jpg

There is a mountain literally in my back yard, so I did a late afternoon hike with one of my buddies. I live just down at the base of the mountain, not sure if it is in this shot or not...
    P1000258.jpg

Thought this was a cool shot...
    P1000255.jpg

The sun was setting and we had to literally run off the mountain... it was dark when we were trying to find our way out of the base area of the mountain.
    P1000272.jpg

Here are a couple of shots from Chuseok (Korean Thanksgiving), when I went in to Seoul for the day.
    First one, the gate near Dondaemun...
    P1000349.jpg
    Second one, looking towards the north... North Korea is only 50KM away...
    P1000320.jpg
    Last one, me being a spaz after finding some monument with tigers out front.
    P1000335.jpg

I would post pictures of my apartment, but it is a disaster and I will likely be moving at the end of this month. Should be in a much nicer place then, either in central Anyang, or in Seoul.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Until Everest is plainly visible from your front porch, I'll continue to be unimpressed.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    thumperthumper Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I live in Naniwa, Osaka, Japan.
    3505ku4.jpg
    Yes, that IS a freeway going through a building.
    7743ke8.jpg
    Although technically in Kobe, the world's longest suspension bridge is only about 20 minutes away.
    7798ud1.jpg
    Dotonbori is about two blocks away.
    7678sq7.jpg
    7678sq7.43af4fa1c6.jpg
    Supporters of the local baseball team, Hanshin Tigers, staying back after a win to belt out some war cries.
    6698pn5.jpg
    6698pn5.9c113f28e6.jpg
    Also a few blocks away.
    7804jk8.jpg
    Namco Land, for all you geeks. It's just across the road from Umeda Station. Incidentally, the only reason I have for venturing into the building is that there's an awesome section where there's about a dozen different stores selling all different types of gyoza. Fucking rad.

thumper on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Oh by the way
    This rule about pics larger than 100kb having to be spoilered sucks ass. I could put up a low-res pic of Elkamil's buttocks and it'd be over 100kb.
    No, I don't have a pic of Elkamil's buttocks. Nor would I post it if I had such a thing.
    Sicko.

thumper on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Got it off GIS, but this is essentially the view from where I used to go to school:

istockphoto_2315906_castle_rock_to_pikes_peak.jpg

Anything smaller than that is called a "hill". Those are proper mountains.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Got it off GIS, but this is essentially the view from where I used to go to school:

istockphoto_2315906_castle_rock_to_pikes_peak.jpg

Anything smaller than that is called a "hill". Those are proper mountains.
    Man, if you turn this thread into something entirely foppish, we'll have to find someone to fong you.

thumper on
  • Options
    LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man, everyone seems to live somewhere interesting. I live atm in Burlington, right between Hamilton and Toronto up in Canada, and all thats here is houses...which doesn't make for much of a interesting lifestyle. :|

Loathing on
  • Options
    Not SarastroNot Sarastro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    mcdermott wrote: »

Until Everest is plainly visible from your front porch, I'll continue to be unimpressed.

Untill both you live at Base Camp, and have to climb 800m just to get home after going out on the piss, so will I.

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So, I think I might be able to win this thread. This is where I lived when I was growing up, before I went to boarding school in Brisbane. http://www.fergusons.com.au But now I live in a 3 bedroom apartment near the brisbane CBD with my sister, West End for those in the know. However, my home home (with the family, where I still actually have a room) is now a penthouse on the maroochy rivermouth on the sunshine coast.

By the by, the place im in right now isn't anything special. I may have wealthy parents, but that sure doesn't mean I am.

joshua1 on
  • Options
    linkswordlinksword Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I grew up near Charleston, and moved to Denver for a year, and am now back. I actually meant to take pictures yesterday as I went downtown, but unfortunately I forgot my camera. I love living here. It's one of the most historic cities in the United States, and there's a lot of stuff to see and do if you're into that. Downtown Charleston has a very distinct feel compared to other cities. There's a ton of local stuff. I really like some of the local bands, and music stores around here. And we had one of the greatest alternative rock stations in the country until a month ago (it was shut down because of Arbitron's poor rating method, and received so much backlash from the community that it's back as an online only station). People here are generally nicer than anywhere else I've been, and everyone seems to be proud of being from here.

arthurravenelbridge28frvc9.th.jpg
    The brand new Cooper River bridge. This is probably the most distinctive feature in our skyline. The longest cable stay bridge in the Western Hemisphere.

charlestonhomerl0.th.jpg

charlestonkingstreet1te1.th.jpg
    King Street is basically the center of downtown.

I just love the way the city feels. I'll post more pictures later once I have access to my own, as these are all taken off the wiki article.

And on to Denver. My house is here, as most of my stuff, which is all packed up in the basement at the moment, so no pictures of a room or anything. I love the Rocky Mountains nearby, and the skyline of Denver is great. I could do without the snow and cold but hey, I haven't actually been up in the mountains to ski or anything during the winter yet, so I guess I haven't experienced them properly yet.

diaairportroofif8.th.jpg
    Denver International Airport. It's pretty big, and I live about 10 minutes away from it, which is about as close as you can get. My house is basically on the edge of the urban sprawl around Denver, and it's pretty much flat from my house until the airport itself.

20060714denverskylinemiyh1.th.jpg
    Denver skyline. I have to admit, it is a pretty city to look at.

2003113016thstreetmalllcw9.th.jpg
    16th street mall, is pretty cool. It's like King street in Charleston.

Twist and Shout, a local record store, is also worth mentioning. I only lived in Denver for a year though, so I didn't really get to experience it as much as Charleston. If this thread is still alive, I will post more pictures/awesome places when I go back next month.

linksword on
  • Options
    april__29april__29 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    i live a place called Newcaslte, its in the north east of England, it rains a fair bit but its home

we have the highest cantalivered (spelling?) structure in europe
    newcastle.jpg

the fun millenium eye bridge, which swings up to let ships past, though they hardly ever do since thatcher killed off industry up here
    england_newcastle.jpg

the bridge all open
    4407c-bridge-open.jpg

the ever famous tyne bridge, we like our bridges here!
    800px-Tyne_Bridges_01.jpg

we also host the start of the worlds most famous half marathn run, the Great north Run
    _42150156_redarrows_pa.jpg

in the centre of town we have the Early Grey monument (he of parliment reform, and more notably tea fame)
    Grey's_Momument_and_Momument_station_-_Newcastle_upon_Tyne_-_England_-_130804.jpg

thats just a little look at here, id show you my house but its a new build so its a right tip at the moment

april__29 on
    Untitled-1-2.jpg
  • Options
    Not SarastroNot Sarastro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    april__29 wrote: »
    i live a place called Newcastle

I say, that photographer must have tired himself out taking all those pictures around the city on the one day since the invention of the camera that Newcastle hasn't been a grey wet shithole.

Actually, I was surprised, it actually looks half-way decent compared to how I remember it from years ago & going through on the train. But still, you know, Geordies!

Baykah, Baykah, Baykah...Gruovhe!

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    april__29april__29 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sarastro wrote: »
    april__29 wrote: »
    i live a place called Newcastle

I say, that photographer must have tired himself out taking all those pictures around the city on the one day since the invention of the camera that Newcastle hasn't been a grey wet shithole.

Actually, I was surprised, it actually looks half-way decent compared to how I remember it from years ago & going through on the train. But still, you know, Geordies!

Baykah, Baykah, Baykah...Gruovhe!

aye its getting better here, theye spent loads of money investing in new buildings and renovations and that, its still rains too much like but you get used to it :)

april__29 on
    Untitled-1-2.jpg
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    joshua1 wrote: »
    So, I think I might be able to win this thread. This is where I lived when I was growing up, before I went to boarding school in Brisbane. http://www.fergusons.com.au But now I live in a 3 bedroom apartment near the brisbane CBD with my sister, West End for those in the know. However, my home home (with the family, where I still actually have a room) is now a penthouse on the maroochy rivermouth on the sunshine coast.

By the by, the place im in right now isn't anything special. I may have wealthy parents, but that sure doesn't mean I am.

*insert joke about the faux-bohemians infesting the west end*

:P

I'm rather jealous actually, you'd have much less trouble getting to the markets than me. I live about half a km from them as the crow flies, but it takes either two buses or ferry+bus to get there. stupid river...

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh shit Pratchett put out a new book already? I can't afford this want. Argh.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Oh shit Pratchett put out a new book already? I can't afford this want. Argh.

You can have my copy, its not all that unfortunately.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    Dulcius_ex_asperisDulcius_ex_asperis Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This thread is about where you live. Put pictures up. Discuss and compare with others. Where have you lived? post pictures of it.

I lived in this gorgeous house in Oxford, UK for a little while. Damn, I loved that place. I don't think I have any more pictures of the inside of the house, though.
    691c7123.jpg

And here's Cornmarket, about a 10 minute walk away. Lovely shopping area. Oy, I wish I still lived in Oxford.
    6bf723c8.jpg

But now I live in Abilene, TX. Here's my room/some of my house/school:
    My bed. Well, this is actually before my roomie and I officially moved in, but that's still my bed.
    n54600169_30919689_559.jpg

Closet-y goodness. In place of that dresser we now have a bookshelf.
    n54600169_30919687_51.jpg

No longer is there a keyboard, but I definitely want one. My roomie's bed is there in that little nook now.n54600169_30919686_9787.jpg
    This is admittedly one of my favorite features of the room.

Our kitchen, which is completely adorable. I can say that, right, since I didn't redo it?
    n54600169_30919674_6715.jpg

And here's part of my lovely university

CBS_Bldg2.jpg

Dulcius_ex_asperis on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well, I'm not a D&D regular, but saw this interesting thread on the forum front page. That Chinese college town is really pretty.

I live in Rio de Janeiro, so, if you guys and gals are interested, I can poast pictures.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well, I'm not a D&D regular, but saw this interesting thread on the forum front page. That Chinese college town is really pretty.

I live in Rio de Janeiro, so, if you guys and gals are interested, I can poast pictures.

Do it now.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    seconded!

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    So, there's a typhoon outside. I wish my camera were better at capturing how insanely wet it is.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Loathing wrote: »
    Man, everyone seems to live somewhere interesting. I live atm in Burlington, right between Hamilton and Toronto up in Canada, and all thats here is houses...which doesn't make for much of a interesting lifestyle. :|

Haha I know the feeling man. Lived in London, then Toronto, for over 12 years total. It's nice enough, but not really something you want to run around and share with others.

I must say, some of you people live in some beautiful spots. Some of these places look like cities that you could wake up in every day, and still enjoy what you see. I imagine like everything else, you probably get used to it after a while, but still.

I'll post my new surroundings now, more as a contrast to all the really pretty cityscapes and whanot:

th_toronto1.jpg
    Toronto, where I used to live. Pretty much your average run-of-the-mill North American city, though maybe a bit cleaner than most.

About 6 months ago, I took a new job and moved up here:
    th_Downtown_Yellowknife_2.jpg
    This is Yellowknife, Northwest Territories. I actually didn't have any good personal shots of the city yet, so this one was just stolen from GIS. Still, it gives you an idea. It's not a very big city - maybe 20k people, but being the largest city for thousands of kilometers, it's got a lot of infrastructure, services and industry for a city it's size.

th_DSCF0813.jpg
    This is what greeted me the first time I flew into Yellowknife. This disconcerted me greatly, as this was in the middle of June. I frankly expected the 9th largest lake in the WORLD to be slightly less frozen.

th_DSCF0842.jpg
    My crappy bachelor apartment. I'd like to say that it looks empty and barren because I took this shot about a week after moving in, but sadly it still looks like this. Maybe some day soon I'll buy some furniture...

After being in Yellowknife for a little over a month, I was sent to work in a remote drilling camp in the Arctic, for what would turn out to be two months. This place turned into my second home, so I'll post a few shots of it as well: (too lazy to resize these, and the thumbnails look like crap, so they're nice and big)
    camp1.jpg
    This was my new living space for the next two months. It's surprisingly cozy, and sadly better-furnished than my actual apartment anyway. The diesel stove in the center was quite necessary after a few weeks, when the temperature hovered around zero every night. And the mosquito netting around the beds was necessary the rest of the time, lest you wake up covered in the bastards.

camp2.jpg
    My camp. Population was around 20 people or so. Built into a rocky cliffside that made navigating anywhere a chore. But it was quite quaint and I still look at it as a second home.

Tundra1.jpg
    This is what the tundra around the camp looked like when I arrived. We were a good few hours flight above the treeline, so no trees obviously. Just lots of rock, moss and grass. It had its moments where it looked quite pretty, though far from the "beauty" seen in the other photos in this thread.

CoastTrip1.jpg
    A shot from our trip up to the Arctic Ocean coast (about a 20 minute flight). Some of the most beautiful sunsets I've ever seen.

tundra2.jpg
    And finally, this is what it looked like for the last month of my tour. Pretty much every day we'd wake up to this, and it would slowly melt throughout the day. Keep in mind this was in late August, early September. Nothing like freezing your ass off, while all your friends down south complain about the hot weather.

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    are me and cat the only ones interested in showing off our insides?

edit - ah, and cycophant.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    furiousNUfuriousNU Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    My currently college campus isn't worth talking about. However, the campus at my HS boarding school was absolutely gorgeous: it was surrounded by woods and had trails going directly into the forest.

View from my dorm room senior year
    S3600001.jpg

School pond frozen over in the winter:
    modeddogsinthesnow.jpg

Friend in the entrance of my dorm from senior year:
    IMG_2170.jpg

2nd floor of the school library:
    LibraryLights.jpg

furiousNU on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    are me and cat the only ones interested in showing off our insides?

edit - ah, and cycophant.

Vultures!

My room is so bland.
    picture223xq4.jpg
    Study hall in the international dorm!

The walk from there to my room:

picture224hx3.jpgpicture225qp2.jpgpicture226qu5.jpgpicture227wt7.jpg

Aaand my room:

picture228jt9.jpgpicture230hp4.jpgpicture231pc5.jpg

Right now there's a typhoon going on outside, and I only have one pair of dry shoes left. My sandals are insufficiently broken in, so I'm a little fucked for walking about today.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    Foxy_RoxyFoxy_Roxy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I live in an uninteresting place too. Vancouver, WA. Here's a picture, you can see Mt St Helens, which is pretty cool, I guess:
    vancouver_washington_steaming_st_helens_2004.jpg

In reality though, I live in Portland, OR. Vancouver is simply a suburb that exists in another state. here are some pics of portland, which is a really nice city:
    portland.gif That's mount hood, which is really a lovely mountain. portland_oregon.jpg That's the waterfront at night.portland.jpg The waterfront at day. Pioneer%20Square.jpg Pioneer Court house Square

See even "uninteresting places can be pretty.

God I can't wait to move away.

Foxy_Roxy on
    linkdb4.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Are you kidding? I love Portland. It's one of my favorite cities in the US. So laid back. But then, I've only been there for like a week at a time. But the weather always seemed quite lovely.

Dulcius_ex_asperis on
  • Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I live in Portland, in the dorms at Portland State University.

This is Pac-man. I stole him from another floor.
    n1449870058_30004574_5470.jpg

This is my filthy ass kitchen that will get a proper cleaning tomorrow
    n1449870058_30004575_5774.jpg

This is where I stalk The Cat
    n1449870058_30004576_6097.jpg

These are my posters and records and I love them so. Sugarhill Gang, Run DMC and De La Soul = my heart.
    The bed on the right is where I dream of Thanatos, and is perpetually unmade.
    n1449870058_30004577_6435.jpg

This is my shame. My book addiction.
    n1449870058_30004578_6758.jpg
    n1449870058_30004579_7102.jpg
    It's small, but so is my income.

Dulcius is right, Portland is awesome.

Sami on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    So is your small, but awesome, book collection. I wish I had photos of mine. Tomorrow, perhaps.

Dulcius_ex_asperis on
  • Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So is your small, but awesome, book collection. I wish I had photos of mine. Tomorrow, perhaps.

I like all of it, except for Atlas Shrugged. I keep that around for when I feel like hating something.

Oh and I have a couple not pictured in there. Mainly nonfiction like Guns, Germs, and Steel.

Sami on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    picturetc7.jpg

End of Faith is in bad shape. I think I've thumbed through that book more than any other.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ooh, I look forward to this.

I just moved into a house my friend bought and finally managed to unpack all of those books and DVDs I've had in storage for over a year :D

Janson on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    seconded!

OK, I'll host the pics and poast them here.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    mcdermott wrote: »
    as well as probably some shots of our state's humble Capitol (which we live just outside of).

It's less "humble" and more "boring as all fuck", mcd. Oh, and did I mention that the mall sucks?

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    My friend recently bought a house, and I've moved in with her. It's not completely finished (a couple of shelves removed, few boxes and things still lying around, ladder in kitchen etc.) but it's nearly there. I'll use thumbnails rather spoilers as don't the images in spoilers load anyway?

house.jpg

The house. As with most of the houses in this area, it's narrow, but unlike many of the other houses, it's brick and not sand-coloured stone.

janson_print.jpg

This print is courtesy of mrflippy. It's signed (to me!) by the actor who played Wes Janson in The Empire Strikes Back :mrgreen:

bedroom_01.jpg bedroom_02.jpg bedroom_03.jpg

My bedroom. It's small as previous owners split the room into two, creating a very narrow study and this. It was painted dark green, but we've painted over it since. I badly stitched together two photos because there's Tynic's picture up on the wall :P

study.jpg

The study. That's really it - just enough room for the desk and my computer/housemate's laptop/sewing machine. This room was a dark blue - again, we painted it.

corridor_room.jpg

The corridor leading to the attic bedroom. I haven't taken a photo of the attic room as it's my housemate's. It's huge - the size of my bedroom, the study, corridor and bathroom combined. Hence the corridor is mainly full of my books and DVDs, as I have little storage room compared to my housemate.

bookshelves_01.jpg

Some of my books. If you're really, really nosey:
    Selection of titles:
    books_01.jpg books_02.jpg books_03.jpg random_01.jpg random_02.jpg

kitchen.jpg

Kitchen. It's really hard taking photos of narrow rooms. The bathroom's the same size as the kitchen, pretty decent.

living_room.jpg

Living room. The whole house has been furnished second-hand with furniture from my housemate's grandparents. That's a gong in front of the fireplace. emot_dance.gif

garden.jpg

My housemate's also done an awesome job of ripping out the garden so far, it was just a mass of weeds. Those outhouses would have held the only toilets once D:

The city:

panorama.jpg

Warning - big panorama, will rape your h-scroll! It's the view from where I used to live, as the view where I live now is boring :P Basically the current house is close to the valley, and that panorama was taken from half a mile up the hill.

snowhouses.jpg

What it looks like when it snows.

fog_03.jpg

When it's foggy D:

sheffieldwalk_01.jpg sheffieldwalk_03.jpg

Some university buildings on the way to work - Firth Court (main administration building) and half of the Student's Union.

sheffieldwalk_09.jpg

My work.

Janson on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Pretty much that's what I imagined everwhere in England other than London looks like.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    That is what everywhere in England looks like apart from London. Just miles and miles of cottages and hamlets and the occasional city. Probably a forest in there somewhere.

Iriah on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I noticed a disturbing lack of pubs though. I woulda figured it'd be at least half of the pics.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg