Options

This is where I live. NSF56K

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I guess I just don't have photos of the pubs. They're there. I pass five on my way to work, and it's only a mile away. That's just on the particular route I take - there'd be many more within the vicinity.

Also; that is a city. Central Sheffield is home to half a million people, if you count the outskirts it's closer to a couple of million. :mrgreen:

Janson on
  • Options
    BoredGamerBoredGamer Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I live in the UK, in a small town in the southwest called Taunton.

Taunton.jpg

This is the town center. I think the main town hall looks like the one from Back To The Future, but that's just me. Taunton is known for two things. The production of a classic alchocol called "Cider" and Cricket.

CountyGroundTaunton.jpg

Oh and our churches. We have three.

Tauntonchurch.jpg

The workmen got shafted when they built this one, so when they had finished, they put a donkey on the roof.

Another thing we are famous for is rebellion. In 1685, a duke clamed that he was the real king, and tried to otherthrow the goverment. Of course, the king sent a few of his best men, and the duke got his ass handed to him. They hung him in the high street, there's a statue now. We as a town are weary of outsiders, and quite small minded.

I got to the local college, , which is called Somerset College for Arts and Technology....can you guess the acronym? SCAT.

http://www.somerset.webhoster.co.uk/index.html
    Oh, and we are home to a large part of these guys.

RoyalMarineBadge.png

BoredGamer on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    good thing you repainted those rooms, J, I can't imagine how gloomy a dark colour would make a space that small. Looks great now :D

Taunton looks like the town from Hot Fuzz, heh

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    BoredGamerBoredGamer Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, it's about 20ish miles from Wells, which was used for Hot Fuzz. That film might as well have been filmed here. It captures most of the southwest soo well.

BoredGamer on
  • Options
    The Valentine ZombieThe Valentine Zombie Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    japan wrote: »
    The cars are there to promote some company that lets you rent "fantasy cars" for the weekend. In addition to the red Shelby Cobra you can se in the first photo, they had a Ferrari 308B, an Alfa Romeo Spyder (which is the silver one obscured by people), a Rolls Royce, and this:
    p1010030cv3.jpg

I had to look closely at this photo; I had my friend take a photo of me standing next to the Delorean (A FUCKING DELOREAN!) on Saturday, and I thought I saw myself walking in the background of your photo...alas, no.

PS: I was stopped by two neds as I was posing, asking if a) it was my car, and b) if they could "have a go inside". I tried not to laugh and said "no" and "you can try" respectively. I walked away, picturing neds attempting to go "Back to the Future"...the comedic possibilities are endless. Joy-riding the Time Machine, using Buckfast as a substitute for Plutonium, beating up Teddy Boys, starting the first rave, becoming their own fathers...

*thinks*

...if you're allowed to rent these cars, then a ned spoof is actually possible. Hmmm...

[Add: I've just been told that there's an actual old-skool Fantazia-styled rave called, wait for it, "Back to the Future".

It's fucking on.:lol:]

The Valentine Zombie on
    tintin-vs-nasa.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    good thing you repainted those rooms, J, I can't imagine how gloomy a dark colour would make a space that small. Looks great now :D

Taunton looks like the town from Hot Fuzz, heh

It does! Although I say 'we' painted I actually only got to help with my own bedroom - I was away the weekend a few people blitzed the house. The corridor room was also decorated with peeling floral wallpaper, and the windows have yet to be replaced.

I should probably do a proper 'Sheffield' post but I'm sorely lacking in photos. I have one of our town hall:

england_01.jpg

which is apparently different from a city hall.

Sheffield is actually pretty ugly. It has its charms and a few nice buildings (Winter Gardens, now sadly obscured by a generic hotel) and pleasant parks, but there are some true architectural abominations - including the infamous Park Hill flats (now listed) and this:

sheffield_arts_tower.jpg

This is the Sheffield Arts Tower, the tallest building in Sheffield. It's actually a great building to be in because it has wide open, studio spaces and great views. It's horrible otherwise. The university architectural department occupies the top 5 (7? I forget) floors; that's where I had all my lectures and lessons. I still walk past it every day.

sheffield_trams.jpg

Sheffield also has a fantastic tram system. I <3 trams.

Still, it's better than it was. Sheffield used to be really, immensely, famously ugly. Then WW2 came along and Sheffield was heavily bombed and a large portion of the city centre was gutted. This allowed the council to come in and widen the streets and create a proper shopping district. Then, after the mining industry collapsed in the 80s and thousands became unemployed, the government poured billions into rejuvenating the city (as they are now doing with Manchester) and many of the parks have been restored and new public areas created. Some of those areas are really quite lovely.

Janson on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh my word Janson - that takes me back (actually I went 'natsukashii' but no-one likes a weaboo)

You go down that street with the tram and turn left and there's a bridge over the river, right? And down past the bridge there used to be a comic/geek shop.

And there was a Virgin Megastore or something off to the right?

Argh argh argh memories flooding back - Orchard Square had some nice shops.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ok, here it is, RIO DE JANEIRO!

First a shot I've taken from the Christ the Redeemer statue, looking east:
    riodejaneiro800x600markjh6.th.jpg
    The red square is the building where I live, the rectangle on the left is a very cool airport. I can bike from there to beyond the Sugar Loaf mountain on the right, all in bike lanes an tracks. It's pretty awesome.

The yellow blob is a real favela. Very violent. The police found a weapons cache there last week with .30 cal MGs. Scary. The big water in the middle is the Guanabara Bay. On the other side it's Niterói, another city.

Now another shot, looking south:
    riodejaneiro123zb7.th.jpg
    that's the best area in the city. South Zone, we call it. Ipanema beach to the upper left, Leblon beach to the upper right, and the Rodrigo de Freitas lagoon in the center.

And now another, looking north:
    riodejaneiro130kr1.th.jpg
    There we have more Guanabara Bay and the 13km long Rio-Niterói Bridge. The big soccer stadium Maracanã, is right off to the left, pity it's not in the picture.

Now, two pictures of my apartment's living room:
    dacouch2ns3.th.jpg
    and
    daroom86gg4.th.jpg
    I'm a married guy, so that's why it looks so pretty. We have a new TV, BTW, a 32" Samsung widescreen CRT.

Finally, here's my home office:
    img3717fl2.th.jpg
    Here's where I work and play.

Tomorrow I'm having the house cleaned, so I'm gonna take more pics, if you guys want me too. Today it's too damned messy. There are also a few more pics of the city, I can post them too if you people wanna see more.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RobloRoblo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh my god, i never though i would see Taunton on PA...my ex used to go to college there.

I live in Plymouth, its nothing exciting, but you crazy americans left from here so it might be interesting to some people (actually they didnt, they left from southampton, but stopped here because one of the ships was sinking...interesting fact.).

as soon as i work out how to put photos on here, i'll put some up.

Roblo on
  • Options
    Not SarastroNot Sarastro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Fucking hell people, stop posting endless bits of the UK! I want mountains in Montana, endless wheat fields in Iowa, Australian coast in summer, etc etc.

If I want to see pictures of rain, I have a window.

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This is where I am currently living
    And by living I mean staying up all night writing my paper
    Good god

Columbia1.jpg

It depresses me so much that I avoided it all school year until yesterday... and did badly at school because of it. Now that I have broken the seal, I am going to live here for the rest of the year.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Sarastro wrote: »
    Fucking hell people, stop posting endless bits of the UK! I want mountains in Montana, endless wheat fields in Iowa, Australian coast in summer, etc etc.

If I want to see pictures of rain, I have a window.

Hey, most of those photos contain dry or sunny skies. In fact, they all do, unless you're counting the fog as rain. emot_colbert.gif

Stormwatcher - that is a well-set up living space you have! The south looking view is crazy. So many buildings!
    poshniallo wrote: »
    Oh my word Janson - that takes me back (actually I went 'natsukashii' but no-one likes a weaboo)

You go down that street with the tram and turn left and there's a bridge over the river, right? And down past the bridge there used to be a comic/geek shop.

And there was a Virgin Megastore or something off to the right?

Argh argh argh memories flooding back - Orchard Square had some nice shops.

You are correct in all your points.

The comic/geek shop (the Space Centre) is still there, although it suffered badly in the floods this year, lost a lot of stock.

Orchard Square has the extremely wonderful and large Waterstones, which I love.

Janson on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I live in Canberra, Australia.

Wide open roads, little polution, it isn't jumbled together, you drive 5 minutes in the suburbs, then 10 minutes through bush to get to another area of the city, so you don't feel too crowded.

But there is nothing to do.

At all.

Here is an "aerial view"
    canberra.gif

I don't have google earth anymore so I cant show yall where I live.

I look onto a creek though which is nice, and it's a great place to walk the dogs.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Janson wrote: »

Stormwatcher - that is a well-set up living space you have! The south looking view is crazy. So many buildings!

Thanks, I'll post a picture of the entire home office later. :)
    Yeah, they really fucked up the beach neighbourhoods. Way too many tall buildings. They're usually very posh, big, expensive apartments. VERY expensive.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah I live in Plymouth as well.

It's possibly the least picturesque city in the entire UK, its only real saving grace is the overlook of the English Channel. Basically there are shitty provincial towns around it with some moorland, and the entire inner city is ravaged by chavs. our main street just replaced an MVC with a Pound Shop. A fucking Pound Shop.

The only other nice part of Plymouth in my opinion is the bombed out cathedral which is now used as a roundabout next to the utter abomination that is the Drake Circus 'mall'.

hoe_scene_450x338.jpg

Yay we have a lighthouse

church1_450x338.jpg

I work in the building on the left of the picture :P

Beasteh on
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

I demand more outdoor pictures of the area. I demand pictures along the bike route and elsewhere.
    Please..

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    oooh, Rio's pretty. but yeah, some street scenes would be rad.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Pensacola, FL home of lunatics (went through Hurricane Ivan in the freakin hallway. NEVER NEVER AGAIN!)

Also home of:
    424px-Blue_Angels_Insignia.svg.png

800px-Wp_08.jpg

Awesome Light house:

pcola2.jpg

USS Oriskany (CV-34) just off shore:

800px-Detonations_aboard_the_USS_Oriskany.jpg

USS_Oriskany_sinking.jpg

I really need to get a digital camera so I can get some better pictures.

powersurge on
  • Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    OOOOOoooh, Hangzhou. I really wish I would have gone there last summer, but cash was running short enough as it were. :( Maybe when I go back sometime. What are you studying LM?

If you get a chance, go to Guilin. It's amazing too. (I technically lived there for 3 days, should I post some photos?)

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    Dulcius_ex_asperisDulcius_ex_asperis Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Finally got around to photographing my books. Ha. Here they are, in all their curiously-mixed-genre glory:
    IMG_0754.jpg
    The Great God Pan is terrifying. Has anyone else read it?

IMG_0755.jpg
    (Just a note: Someone gave me Who Moved My Cheese? as a gift in a Secret Santa thing. I have no desire to read it).

IMG_0756.jpg
    The Longest Day is one of my favorite books. My boyfriend thinks it's weird that I'm interested in war, I think.

IMG_0757.jpg
    The green book on the right is a 1922 copy of Return of the Native. I love that I own that. Four bucks in the vintage book section at Half Price Books in Dallas. These are all books I want to read this semester.

IMG_0758.jpg
    More books I want to finish before the year is out.

IMG_0759.jpg
    Now that I look at this stack, it's just really ironic and kind of ridiculous. I'm surprised that Why I Am Not A Christian and Don't Waste Your Life don't repel each other like two positive magnets.

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

Dulcius_ex_asperis on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Hah!,
    Do you want ME to post my books?
    It'll take a lot of pictures...

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Gear Girl wrote: »

I demand more outdoor pictures of the area. I demand pictures along the bike route and elsewhere.
    Please..

Yeah, I've been planning to take pics of the bike route, from the airport to the small beach in a military area, just below the Sugar Loaf. I'd even photograph my building's garden, with some gorgeous orchids, and the square where the kids play in front of my place.

Problem is, I'm too scared to take my camera to the streets like that. There's too much violence. and robbers. I wish I had a cell camera, at least I could be discrete about taking the pics... and cam cells are so common, anyway.

I'll see what I can do. I really wanna take those pics.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RCagentRCagent Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I guess it's time for me to whore out my place. Alice, Texas.

Now it's definately not as gorgeous as fucking China, but to me its a great place to be compared to some other shitholes of small towns in Texas.

Alice was named after the daughter of the founder of the town I believe but basically Alice is one of those towns that you drive through to get to another place (although you don't have too), but its much more than what cliches are brought up when I say this. I believe, or atleast our newspaper said, we have the biggest Super Wal-Mart in South Texas. I don't know whether to be proud of that or not, but its great place to stop by during lunch to pick up some quick food and what not.

Majority of our population are hispanic, the other percentage consisting of Caucasian and Asian ethnicities. Most of our "shit" is on the large strip that goes in and out of town. Although we do have Downtown Alice Texas which is filled with a bunch of abandoned buildings. But it seems those abandoned buildings are getting owners and some interesting shit is being made, such as the "Downtown Riot" a music hub where most local bands go to play at and "Northpoint" which along with selling computer parts have free consoles and computers to LAN or have tournaments with.

Now enough of the text bullshit. Here's some photos:

Obligatory "Google Earth" Shot:
    AliceAerial.jpg
    Heres our Shitty Mall: (I'm not lying about shitty, theres nothing in it to qualify it as a mall. No Escalators, no kickass Arcades. No Cookie Stands. No Food Court. Just a JC Penny and some Elderly workout place and a bunch of abandoned for lease areas.
    shittymall.jpg

Now the real "nice" to look at thing of Alice is, it's high school. My Senior Project (Alice is one of the few schools that do Senior Projects) is to actually make a replica of the school in Half-Life 2 format (which I'm more than experienced at doing) than giving a presentation/tour of the map.
    Here's a Google Earth zoom in of our High School:
    AliceHighSchoolGoogleEarth.jpg

What makes it something cool for a map. Well it's pretty unique in all areas. We laugh at our Cafeteria area too:
    cafeteria.jpg

Now the more "Beautiful" side of our school is the fact that our school has a very weird and cool place to put our library. We have a large square Hallway that leads to all the different departments, but in the center of that square hallway is our library encased in another square. What's so cool about this? Well for one, our library:
    Is surrounded by glass panels:
    library2.jpg
    library.jpg
    halloutsideoflibrary.jpg

That's about it really. I'll post some more pictures if I take any.

RCagent on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Okay. So, Oxford, OH.

Housing for rich-kids. I don't live there.
    1009070902tv7.jpg

Some generic campus-area in the middle of buildings.
    1009070910iw7.jpg

NPR
    1009070910afa1.jpg

Campus is having many trees.
    1009070915no2.jpg

Edit: Damnit, clicked early.

One of the comm-school buildings.
    1009070915afh5.jpg

Uptown.
    1010071159uz7.jpg

For best coffee go here.
    1010071202hz7.jpg

I live here.
    1012070845biv4.jpg

It's not actually this dark in here, my camera just sucks nut. Two TVs, but no cable. They're hooked up to different videogame consoles, because most of my guests want to play Zelda, and I want to do something other than sit there and stare at them.
    1012070845qn2.jpg

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    BEHOLD

In Hangzhou rests the holy grail of all-you-can-eat buffets.
    picture287un7.jpg

That's a selection of pies, tiramisu, mousses, jello-stuff, and a variety of other gourmet sweet delectables. All you can eat.
    picture288mr5.jpg

And this is a selection of gelatos. All you can eat.

This is also an Italian restauraunt, with a variety of pastas and pizzas that are all fucking delicious.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Aw, I love gelato so much. They don't make it in the US like they do in France (hopefully it's better in Hangzhou, too)

Dulcius_ex_asperis on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Hah!,

Yeah! Post that shit.

Dulcius_ex_asperis on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Hah!,

Yeah! Post that shit.

ok, then.
    the funny thing is that 90% of them are in portuguese. ;)

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PusciferPuscifer Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Everywhere I look where I live I see this:
    ecology-tundra.jpg

and I work/live on one of these...
    450px-Oilrig-AB-north.JPG

Puscifer on
    Untitled-1.jpg
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    My shit-tacular place described on the first page:

Hallway:
    img2359je7.jpg

img2361kx0.jpg

My room:
    img2362qy2.jpg

img2363vd9.jpg

(my stack of books to read)
    img2365hr4.jpg

img2366cg8.jpg

The aforementioned bathroom with no shower curtain:
    img2368cu1.jpg

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    That bathroom does not look sanitary at all.

Sami on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    FBC, that looks pretty much like my old place, except the walls are much cleaner.

And no stripper poll.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I really hope it's the lighting that's giving your bathroom the same deathly jaundice that pigmented my great grandma's corpses toenails.

Sami on
  • Options
    GlorfindelGlorfindel Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I live on the Gold Coast:

Gold%20_Coast_Aerial.jpg.

It has big, ugly buildings right on the beach (the tall one further down in the photo is 80 stories, the taller tower closer is about 78 or so):

020_sou_hr_beach_pano.jpg

I live on the Esplanade at Burleigh Heads, so I'm about 20 metres from the water:

Gold_Coast_Burleigh_Heads.jpg

My university is Bond University. It's pretty well manicured:

bond_llm2.jpg

At night:

bond-uni.gif

The city(?) where money far outstrips class. All in all though, it's not a bad place to grow up.

Glorfindel on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    that's fucking beautiful.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Variable wrote: »

Where I live?

Glorfindel on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Yo I almost went to Bond, but they way they were selling it to me made it sound kind of sketchy. Was my impression wrong?

Sami on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Glorfindel wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »

Where I live?

yeah.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Sami wrote: »
    Yo I almost went to Bond, but they way they were selling it to me made it sound kind of sketchy. Was my impression wrong?

It's a private university, so I guess they would put a big sell job on you. Plus it's pretty expensive as well. If I weren't on a scholarship, my two degrees would be costing me about $130 000.

Apart from that though, I have no problems. It did well enough on the Good Universities Guide, though I don't know the credibility of that. Class sizes are pretty small and they condense the year down. So instead of two semesters and long summer holidays, you do three semesters and between 2 and 3 weeks holidays between each semester.

Plenty of social events as well. Never short of a party.

Glorfindel on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man, I love my campus, but it's not "pretty" in the way you guys see pretty.

Zen Vulgarity on