As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Europa:Rome (and other Paradox interactive titles)

Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4toArlington, VARegistered User regular
edited October 2007 in Games and Technology
ALL ROADS LEAD TO ROME FOR PARADOX INTERACTIVE

New York, USA (October 1, 2007) – Leading grand strategy publisher Paradox Interactive announced today their next title in development. Their critically acclaimed development team, behind successful franchises like Europa Universalis and Hearts of Iron, is currently busy working on Europa Universalis: Rome.

“A truly challenging strategy game portraying the Roman Era has yet to be released and we believe strategy gamers have been kept waiting for long enough, said Fredrik Wester, Executive Vice President for Paradox Interactive. “Our successful development team has the knowledge, skills and genre expertise to create a strong strategy game to accurately represent the Roman Era and we are more than excited to introduce this game to the strategy gaming community. “

Europa Universalis: Rome will cover the time period from the first Punic War to the start of the true Empire. Players will have thousand of gameplay choices ranging from country, culture, provincial and character options to name but a few, making each and every game infinitely customizable and truly unique.

“Europa Universalis: Rome combines the best of the Empire Building, Conquest and Warfare genres, wrapped into a title that contains all main characteristics of a typical Paradox Interactive game”, said Johan Andersson, Director of Development. “This project has the potential to become the most talked about grand strategy game to date”

Europa Universalis: Rome is schedule for a worldwide release during Q2, 2008.

public_1.jpg

public_2.jpg

public_3.jpg

They made a similar character based strategy game about the Medieval times, which is, apparently, what this game is, so here's what the game will probably be-

How many providences you can actually directly control is determined by your leader's skill. If you cannot control all the providences you own, then you can give it to a vassal, and thus make your realm more efficient. The only thing is that, once you do that, the vassal is free to do basically whatever it wants, including (past a certain point) declaring war on you, which quite possibly could lead to a massive civil war.

Needless to say, all my dicks are coming.

Ethan Smith on

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2007
    Isn't this just Rome: Total War? I remember playing this once, like 6 months ago...

I'm sure I'm missing a point or a joke.

Organichu on
  • Options
    DevilGuyDevilGuy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    yeah the europa: Universalis series is different, but I much prefer the total war games, they have alot better battle mechanics, if not the overwhelming dearth of options in other areas. Honestly I don't see the point of this game though, the Total War guys beat them to it by about a year and a half.

DevilGuy on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    comparing a europa universalis game to a total war game is kinda like comparing myst to doom, Sure they both have first person views, but that doesn't change the fact that they're completely different

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    DevilGuy wrote: »
    yeah the europa: Universalis series is different, but I much prefer the total war games, they have alot better battle mechanics, if not the overwhelming dearth of options in other areas. Honestly I don't see the point of this game though, the Total War guys beat them to it by about a year and a half.

Why?

Because Rome Total War has a vaguely good battle thing, and that's it. Compare the Strategic view of MTW2 and Crusader Kings, and there's no way you'd say MTW2 was better. Easier?
    Yes.
    Better learning curve?
    Yes.

But I'm of the genre of gamer who prefers games that are nearly impossible to completely learn.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2007
    Is this series less focused on combat or what? Could you give a bit more detail? I had fun with R:TW but it definitely didn't completely sate me.

Organichu on
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Organichu wrote: »
    Is this series less focused on combat or what? Could you give a bit more detail? I had fun with R:TW but it definitely didn't completely sate me.

There is combat in it, it's just abstracted. The series is more like a massive game of risk. Best example is Crusader Kings. You can raise troops, and what kind of troops you get depend on the providence (if it's a rich providence dominated by the nobles, you'll have a shitton of knights, with the downside that the providence won't give you much money). The battles are, dependent on what kind of soldiers you have, and the terrain. Besides that, it's mostly about politics.

Similarly, Victoria is mostly about industrial economics, for example, if you have taxes at like, 4%, your capitalists will use their money to make factories instead of you having too. Only, they'll probably make, like, a shoe factory, instead of a steel factory or a tank factory.

the Hearts of Iron is the example of their game that's based almost entirely on war. It takes place in the 30-60's period, and you can play as any country around in WW2. The economic parts are put into generic "industrial points", which you spend on soldiers, tanks, aircraft, and planes. You still don't get to decide battles, but, with fronts ranging in size from a minor South American war to the Eastern Front, or the Chinese Civil war, you will have much more to care about.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I don't know what it is, but these guys games don't like my computer, especially since they went 3D.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, same thing here for EU3, I hope they manage to make it more efficient.

I mean, seriously, is nicer looking graphics worth a frame rate of 20?

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    Trevor GoodchildTrevor Goodchild Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Crusader Kings is one of my favorite games. A lot goes on under the hood of these games, that's why when they make it look pretty as well, it makes some computers cry. :| I look forward to their next game though.

Trevor Goodchild on
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I played the shit out of EU2. Like, over 200 hours or something. EU3 never really sparked with me and I haven't played any of the other Paradox games.

I don't exactly like what I've seen so far. It's EU, but with less land to conquer. And more limitations on how much you can conquer. If they make the AI formidable though I will definitely pick this up.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So... Rome: Total War with less big 3d battles to get in my way and more planning and strategy? Oh shit, me want.

In R:TW I actually skipped most of the battles and just trained units and did all of the management stuff.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I played the shit out of EU2. Like, over 200 hours or something. EU3 never really sparked with me and I haven't played any of the other Paradox games.

I don't exactly like what I've seen so far. It's EU, but with less land to conquer. And more limitations on how much you can conquer. If they make the AI formidable though I will definitely pick this up.

The thing is that Empires are far less stable in the system that Rome is. In EU2, your providences revolting wasn't that much of a problem, unless you're trying to supress the reformation, etc etc.

In CK, once you get to be the size of the HRE, shit starts getting difficult, at least when it comes to vassals hating you.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

The thing is that Empires are far less stable in the system that Rome is. In EU2, your providences revolting wasn't that much of a problem, unless you're trying to supress the reformation, etc etc.

In CK, once you get to be the size of the HRE, shit starts getting difficult, at least when it comes to vassals hating you.
    Well in EU2 and EU3 it was unrealistic, but I don't like the idea of an artificial cap placed on how far you can expand. If you expand too far it should become a goddamn pain in the ass to manage, but there should never be an artificial cap, just a point where the player basically says "man, is it really worth all these revolts to keep this province?"

The other main problem with EU3 was that it's dynamic event system fucked over the country balance, with Russia and Turkey failing consistently while Burgundy flourished. And the silly AI. Oh, the silly AI.

P10 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Well in EU2 and EU3 it was unrealistic, but I don't like the idea of an artificial cap placed on how far you can expand. If you expand too far it should become a goddamn pain in the ass to manage, but there should never be an artificial cap, just a point where the player basically says "man, is it really worth all these revolts to keep this province?"

The cap I was referring to in CK was dependent on the Intruige stat of your king, so it was changeable. Similarly, once you get past that point, the only problem was that the efficiency of gold goes lower. So, if you own Italy, with all of its riches, then having like, 80% efficiency is ok (lower then that, and you start to get shitty events).

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    It was mainly this quote from the OP I was reacting to.
    How many providences you can actually directly control is determined by your leader's skill.

P10 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    It was mainly this quote from the OP I was reacting to.
    How many providences you can actually directly control is determined by your leader's skill.

Firstly, we are one and the same, and secondly, the 'skill' I was referring to was a thing that could be changed by events, or attributes your king has (for example, the coward trait, which gives -1 Martial [the typical command trait, that determines not only how good they are in battle, but also how quickly armies regain numbers], and +1 intruige [which determines assassinations and how large a realm you can directly control])

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I played EU2 a bit, but not enough. From what I saw it had a huge amount of depth and replayability, I'd definately take a look at this based on that experience alone.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Kalkino wrote: »
    I played EU2 a bit, but not enough. From what I saw it had a huge amount of depth and replayability, I'd definately take a look at this based on that experience alone.

I love EU2. Someday, I need to dig into the fan mods. The fanbase is very diverse and passionate about their history, so they've added tons of events and details to make the minor states more interesting subjects for the Grand Campaign.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Awesome. I loved Hearts of Iron 2. I would play as Argentina, take over South America, and then ally with Germany against the Allies.

So many wasted weekends on that game...:)

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Heir wrote: »
    Awesome. I loved Hearts of Iron 2. I would play as Argentina, take over South America, and then ally with Germany against the Allies.

woah, I thought I was the only guy who did that.

Man, fuck Brazil.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think the problem is they pass the graphics through the CPU and not the GPU (or so I've heard), adding more of a load to something they're already abusing.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    comparing a europa universalis game to a total war game is kinda like comparing myst to doom, Sure they both have first person views, but that doesn't change the fact that they're completely different

true but they have some of the same elements and a similar setting

Why?

Because Rome Total War has a vaguely good battle thing, and that's it. Compare the Strategic view of MTW2 and Crusader Kings, and there's no way you'd say MTW2 was better. Easier?
    Yes.
    Better learning curve?
    Yes.

But I'm of the genre of gamer who prefers games that are nearly impossible to completely learn.

and I'm the sort of gamer who prefers to see if he can hold a castle with a handful of depleted units against a horde of barbarians that outnumber me 5 to 1. EU and the other games in that genre are definately more accurate and have greater depth, but don't knock a game like total war that can accurately simulate individual battles for you to play, I just feel it adds some flavor to the experience.

DevilGuy on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    and I'm the sort of gamer who prefers to see if he can hold a castle with a handful of depleted units against a horde of barbarians that outnumber me 5 to 1. EU and the other games in that genre are definately more accurate and have greater depth, but don't knock a game like total war that can accurately simulate individual battles for you to play, I just feel it adds some flavor to the experience.

I'm not knocking it, I just don't like CA's games.

I mean, I freaking love Europa Barbarorum and Rome Total Realism, don't get me wrong. CA's games are the only games I explicitly buy for the mods (besides Half Life)

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

Man, fuck Brazil.

Yeah, jerks think they can speak Portugese instead of Spanish.

My other games I would either play as the US and try and swing them to a facist state, or play as Germany and make myself a democracy. I ended up becoming a bastion of freedom in Europe against the oppresive Italians and Russians.

...then I invaded Florida. Damn old people.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Tiemler wrote: »
    Kalkino wrote: »

I love EU2. Someday, I need to dig into the fan mods. The fanbase is very diverse and passionate about their history, so they've added tons of events and details to make the minor states more interesting subjects for the Grand Campaign.

My problem was I started playing WOW about the same time I found EU2 and you all probably know how hard it is to keep up with playing non WOW games while addicted.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    edited October 2007

I'm not knocking it, I just don't like CA's games.

I mean, I freaking love Europa Barbarorum and Rome Total Realism, don't get me wrong. CA's games are the only games I explicitly buy for the mods (besides Half Life)

me and my brother are both into the europa barborum mod, very good mod, the expac for Medievil 2 is pretty decent actually if not totally accurate it is alot of fun, and the britania campaign is actually pretty accurate from what I can tell.

I did play hearts of iron which was cool but I doubt I'd take the time these days, just too much on my plate so I tend toward instant gratification.

DevilGuy on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Man, fuck Brazil.

Yeah, jerks think they can speak Portugese instead of Spanish.

My other games I would either play as the US and try and swing them to a facist state, or play as Germany and make myself a democracy. I ended up becoming a bastion of freedom in Europe against the oppresive Italians and Russians.

...then I invaded Florida. Damn old people.

I once played a game as the US and fucked with policy and the world so bad that about half the US revolted, eventually forming 3 new nations along with the remants of the US. Then I switched to one of the rebel states and conquered most of the US, Canada, and some of South America.

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Fuck it, this is the Paradox Interactive slightly-mega-thread.

Anyone know about the amazing mods for HOI2?

There's a Byzantine Empire mod, which is great.
    There's the "All the Russias" mod, which simulates what would've happened if the Whites had won the Russian Civil War.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    KartanKartan Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    obligatory mention of CORE for HoI2

Kartan on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Never heard of those, I'll have to look for them. I found a few mods while browsing sides for modding tutorials to weight diplomatic options to make the revolt easier, but they were mostly unbalanced or unfinished.

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Kartan wrote: »

What does that do?

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    KartanKartan Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Kartan wrote: »

What does that do?

its basicly a revamp for HoI2, with new techtrees, new events, new units (kinda sorta) etc. It adds uite a bit of difficulty since it aims a bit more for realism (so germanys ressource situation is a bit worse and you have to think about what you build...a nice big surface fleet takes a long time to build and eats a lot of ressources, only to end up being sunk by the brits). Quite frankly, after playing CORE i find HoI2 in its unaltered stage very...arcardey. Losing a panzer korps or two isn't nice, but in CORE you can pretty much put your eastern front operations to a halt after that happens, at least until you have rebuild which takes about a year and consumes a metric fuckton of ressources.

Kartan on