As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Portal] Now you're thinking...

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    What does glados say in spanish at the beginning?

i don't remember her saying anything in spanish at the beginning

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Im sorry, I mean more along the lines of "do we need an achivement for every little thing we do in the game"(finish level 1, achivement, finish level 2, achievement and so on. I dont care how their named, although creativity is always welcomed) I do enjoy the achivements, I think its a bit much to have one after every little section in a game.

From the response it makes me feel like you all need those to actually complete the game or something. I guess im the "not everyone playing T-ball should get a trophy just for playing" kind of guy, haha.
    I get what you're saying, but I don't think it's a bad thing to reward the player for simply making his way through the entire game. Or rather, I don't think every achievement should be reserved for stuff you have to go out of your way to do. A balance of both is the best road for me.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Shazbot!Shazbot! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Okay, I need help on the last advanced level:
    I can't get past the second sludge pit right at the beginning (that's the one next to the "secret room.") There's no place to place a portal except directly in front of me, and so I can't double jump. I am thoroughly stumped. Or maybe my brain is drained after that goddamned companion sphere level. #$#@ It felt so good to burn him.

Shazbot! on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Muriden wrote: »
    Question about Advanced Map 17.
    How did everyone solve the puzzle with the companion sphere (OF HATE!) where you needed to hold two switches down that would open two doors to allow an energy ball to pass through and raise the third platform for the room. I sat the sphere on one switch and used a camera that I "liberated" from the wall to jump onto the 2nd switch.
    Is there another way of doing this?

EDIT:
    Found a walkthrough online that showed another way.
    http://www.portalwalkthroughs.com/walkthrough/tag/17+advanced/
    He uses multiple cameras and stacks them bypassing the platforms entirely.

Haha, stacking objects to cheat is so lame. I hated that part:
    At first, I tried to sit on one switch and throw the ball over to the other one, but after like, 10 minutes, I gave up on that. Then I discovered that the energy ball didn't die that quickly. So all I did was hold the ball to press the first switch, let the energy ball through, then depress the switch and close the door, trapping the energy ball between the two closed doors, and walk over to the other switch and depress it, releasing the last door and letting the energy ball into the hole.

Also, was it just me, or did anyone else solve the deflect the energy ball over the glass wall puzzle through sheer luck and a lot of dying?

Shazbot! on
  • Options
    nlawalkernlawalker Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Shazbot! wrote: »
    I can't get past the second sludge pit right at the beginning (that's the one next to the "secret room.") There's no place to place a portal except directly in front of me, and so I can't double jump. I am thoroughly stumped. Or maybe my brain is drained after that goddamned companion sphere level. #$#@ It felt so good to burn him.
    Spoilered for exact answer:
    When you fling yourself to the second platform (over the first pit), you have to get a lot of speed. Doing so will allow you to see that the floor of the third platform, out of view when standing on the second platform, is portalable.

As you're flying from your first fling, you need to get a portal onto that floor, then put an entrance into that portalable wall and jump through. It takes some reflex/aim and probably a couple tries.

nlawalker on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    nlawalker wrote: »
    When you fling yourself to the second platform (over the first pit), you have to get a lot of speed. Doing so will allow you to see that the floor of the third platform, out of view when standing on the second platform, is portalable.

As you're flying from your first fling, you need to get a portal onto that floor, then put an entrance into that portalable wall and jump through. It takes some reflex/aim and probably a couple tries.

Oooh, that's tricky. Thanks!

Shazbot! on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

I was stuck on that part for absolutely ever, then I figured it out and absolutely steamrolled the rest of the level.

Speaking of, I still haven't beaten Advanced 16. Can anyone give any tips?
    I can't even get started. I'm trying to wall->floor->wall port up to grab the cube, but as soon as I get any speed i hit my head on the ceiling and drop down.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    One thing to remmeber about the portals is that the direct you fire it also affects the exit method... See... The portal sort of spins... This is important to note when shotting at ceilings and floors and the "spin" affects the exit vector, or at least I've found... I found on one of the advanced levels that by shooting in a protal on the floor, and jumping into it backwards gave me the proper momentum to exit on the otherside... Or by shotting it one way that I would vector out the opposite way I was trying to....

Interesting thing to note....

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • Options
    BrilliantInsanityBrilliantInsanity Charleston, WVRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    darleysam wrote: »

She does..during her greeting, just before the portal opens her speech goes static--y-y-y-y and gets garbled, then she starts speaking in accelerated spanish.

BrilliantInsanity on
    steam_sig.png

Sixty -40- on Origin for some ME3 goodness.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/brilliantinsanity/
  • Options
    theantipoptheantipop Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Houk wrote: »

I was stuck on that part for absolutely ever, then I figured it out and absolutely steamrolled the rest of the level.

I can't even get started. I'm trying to wall->floor->wall port up to grab the cube, but as soon as I get any speed i hit my head on the ceiling and drop down.

16 is the one with the caged sentries right?
    The trick to this is stacking cubes in front of the cages so the guns cant track or hit you. Doing this over and over really carefully with well placed portals so you dont leave too many cubes behind is the key.

theantipop on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

She starts speaking and she goes crazy and says a short bit in spanish. But I can't remember what it was.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    theantipop wrote: »

The trick to this is stacking cubes in front of the cages so the guns cant track or hit you. Doing this over and over really carefully with well placed portals so you dont leave too many cubes behind is the key.
    Nah, I don't remember what level that is but it's not 16. That one was a bitch and a half and an ultimate test of my patience.

I'm at work so I can't remember offhand, but 16 is the one where
    As soon as you enter, to the left is a staircase that comes up as you approach and falls away when you step off. Up there is a cube on an elevated platform and a...ball receiver thing. Back toward the entrance is a button where you have to place the box to open a door to get to the room with ball to port to the ball receiver to activate a lift to get you to the exit (sounds like that boardgame Mousetrap).

Only problem is, I can't figure out how to launch myself up to the first platform to get the box.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Nah, I don't remember what level that is but it's not 16. That one was a bitch and a half and an ultimate test of my patience.

As soon as you enter, to the left is a staircase that comes up as you approach and falls away when you step off. Up there is a cube on an elevated platform and a...ball receiver thing. Back toward the entrance is a button where you have to place the box to open a door to get to the room with ball to port to the ball receiver to activate a lift to get you to the exit (sounds like that boardgame Mousetrap).

Only problem is, I can't figure out how to launch myself up to the first platform to get the box.
    The stairs go down, this provides you an opportunity to use a fling to leap towards the pedestal, from the floor near the pedestal.
    Or use the secret ninja solution
    Just lay a portal near the lift, then get to the top of the steps (I think on advanced they aren't there). Then, place a portal at the bottom of the cliff when the steps drop. Then leap in, and onto the elevator. You never even have to get it moving.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man, fuck the Advanced level achievement. It reset on me, again!

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The end of this thread is neigh.

I want them to release more advanced levels dammit!

Muriden on
    MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007

The stairs go down, this provides you an opportunity to use a fling to leap towards the pedestal, from the floor near the pedestal.
    Or use the secret ninja solution
    Just lay a portal near the lift, then get to the top of the steps (I think on advanced they aren't there). Then, place a portal at the bottom of the cliff when the steps drop. Then leap in, and onto the elevator. You never even have to get it moving.
    Holy shit that's so stupidly simple. Here I was trying to recreate the original just harder, and that was totally wrong.

Oh well. Thanks for making me look stupid :P

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hmm...I never bothered with cubeblocking the turrets except for the very first one. I just picked up a cube, crouched, and constantly faced the turrets. I'd get hit a few times but it was never enough to kill me.

Darklyre on
  • Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The final 'Advanced' stage I ended up doing all sorts of crazy ass cheap tricks to pull off. It wasn't so much a puzzle at times as a test of how well you can exploit random game mechanics (which you could say makes it a puzzle, but I had to pull some bizarre and somewhat suicidal stuff off to beat it).

steejee on
    The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Holy shit that's so stupidly simple. Here I was trying to recreate the original just harder, and that was totally wrong.

Welll, the really clever solution is in the commentary track.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    steejee wrote: »
    The final 'Advanced' stage I ended up doing all sorts of crazy ass cheap tricks to pull off. It wasn't so much a puzzle at times as a test of how well you can exploit random game mechanics (which you could say makes it a puzzle, but I had to pull some bizarre and somewhat suicidal stuff off to beat it).

I don't know what exactly you did, but I didn't do anything that constitutes as an "Exploit" to beat it.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

I don't remember what it was, refresh my memory... With spoilers....

Nakatomi2010 on
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
  • Options
    edited October 2007

One portal near the elevator on... 15? Then get to the top of the stairs. Leap off the cliff when the stairs descend, and lay your second portal. You'll fling up, and land on the elevator. The guy on the commentary track said it was one of the few "Ninja" solutions they allowed, because it arguably required more skill to figure out than the actual puzzle

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    After beating this game I so so hope that garry's mod adds portal support

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

One portal near the elevator on... 15? Then get to the top of the stairs. Leap off the cliff when the stairs descend, and lay your second portal. You'll fling up, and land on the elevator. The guy on the commentary track said it was one of the few "Ninja" solutions they allowed, because it arguably required more skill to figure out than the actual puzzle

Now, that person was thinking with Portals.... Be tricky to be a play tester, over time you start to think more and mroe with portals, and start to develop really good solutions...

Nakatomi2010 on
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Now, that person was thinking with Portals.... Be tricky to be a play tester, over time you start to think more and mroe with portals, and start to develop really good solutions...

Commentary is incredibly interesting on this one. Making a puzzle game seems like it plays out a lot like a puzzle itself. The various ways of checking if a player understands things well enough to proceed, getting people to look up... it's quite cool.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

She does..during her greeting, just before the portal opens her speech goes static--y-y-y-y and gets garbled, then she starts speaking in accelerated spanish.

From the subtitles:
    "Por favor bordon de fallar Muchos gracias de fallar gracias."

Trust me, you're not going to get much sense out of it. It's broken spanish, but let's try. First, Bordon. Never heard that before, but it seems it's either a town founded by the Templars, a long staff taller than a man and with an iron point, and a broken verse repeated at the end of each couplet. Can't find a translated word for it other than "Pigrim's Staff" (well, from babelfish).
    So basically it's "Please (bordon) of failing. Much thanks for failing thank you".

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh, shit, not the templars!

Now the speculation will get REALLY WEIRD.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ohtsam wrote: »
    After beating this game I so so hope that garry's mod adds portal support
    Two things:

1) If it's in the SDK.
    2) Probably unsupported.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Everyone know the Templars were pioneers in the realm of Android... manufacture... and stuff.

august on
  • Options
    RaereRaere Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Not sure if this has been asked, but I don't feel like reading 99 pages.
    Is the credits song available anywhere?

Raere on
    Raere.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    In the directory I think as an mp3.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Raere wrote: »
    Oui.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Some people are playing on the 360.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Raere wrote: »

No, unfortunatly not.... Valve's got it under tight raps and wont let it out...

Nakatomi2010 on
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Ah. apologies then.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Ah. apologies then.
    It's fine.

Whoever starts the next thread, include this link in it.

Still Alive MP3.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I don't suppose there's one for the radio, as well?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I don't suppose there's one for the radio, as well?
    Give me a few minutes, I'll try and find it.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Jonathan Coulton? Seriously?

That's awesome, and explains so much.

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Will the OP of the next thread include this link, please, because Goofball is awesome and we love him.

http://www.goofball.org/misc/portal-sounds/

Houn on
This discussion has been closed.