As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Portal] Now you're thinking...

• Options
    <3<3 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    WHY IS PORTAL CRASHING??

"Fail to create D3D device."

WHAT THE FUCK?

<3 on
  • Options
    Ross MillsRoss Mills Mr. California, USARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Pojaco wrote: »
    How do I boost over the glass wall in the 2nd advanced level? I can't seem to get enough momentum even from the highest point in the room.

Just keep trying. You can.

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
  • Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    How do I boost over the glass wall in the 2nd advanced level? I can't seem to get enough momentum even from the highest point in the room.
    one of the wall jumps has a little drop around the corner you have to use...maybe that's what you're having trouble with? search the room to see if there is a tiny room with a bigger drop in it

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If anyone cares: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGcILfI_ihA

There's the ending credits, complete with music!

urahonky on
  • Options
    PojacoPojaco Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    musanman wrote: »
    one of the wall jumps has a little drop around the corner you have to use...maybe that's what you're having trouble with? search the room to see if there is a tiny room with a bigger drop in it
    I have one portal at the base of the glass wall, and the other at the bottom of the pit in the little side room. I jump off, go mostly straight up next to the glass wall, but can't get over. :x

Pojaco on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    The voice actress for GLaDOS makes a comment about there being a recipe for cake in the game.

I must have this cake!

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ross Mills wrote: »
    The voice actress for GLaDOS makes a comment about there being a recipe for cake in the game.

I must have this cake!

Last boss spoiler (sorta):
    IF you hold the BLUE colored "orb" that you rocket off her, he says the recipe over and over again. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    urahonky wrote: »

I must have this cake!

Last boss spoiler (sorta):
    IF you hold the BLUE colored "orb" that you rocket off her, he says the recipe over and over again. :)

OMG Must have!
    I might need a transcript or recording. I don't particularly want to sit around huffing neurotoxins writing it down. I'll wait until someone else does that. I'm lazy. ^_^

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Just finished it. Everything everyone has been saying (credits, song, ending) is true! Damn, it was short, but so amazing and creepy and funny... at the same time.

The song is awesome.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So basically, there are four componants to GLaDOS beyond the core module;
    the yellow observation module, the purple turret/don't gas people module, the red feral beast module, and the blue cake obsessed module.

No wonder the thing was nuts.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Okay.

How the hell do I get past chamber 13 with only 4 portals?

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    TrakardTrakard __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Ok, I just beat 18 on advanced. Holy shit, you can eat a lot of turret fire.

Trakard on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I'm thinking male Apature Science Enrichment Centre Participant Cosplay!

Including Companion Cube!

Or Companion Cube Cosplay!

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
  • Options
    PojacoPojaco Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I have one portal at the base of the glass wall, and the other at the bottom of the pit in the little side room. I jump off, go mostly straight up next to the glass wall, but can't get over. :x
    Anybody? It shouldn't be as hard as I'm making it.

Pojaco on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2007
    SoaL wrote: »
    Near the end I started to bring a turret along with me for a while, but he got stuck in a narrow passageway and I was forced to part with my buddy :(

Post-19 spoilers:
    There's a broken turret that can't fire a bit after the tests. I brought it along for as far as I could, but then a field nuked it. :(

Echo on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Honestly that's all I did and I did fine. Remember you can alter your trajectory in the air.

Remember to *Jump* into the portal for the tiny bit of extra momentum.

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    :whistle:I've experiments to run. There is research to be done.:whistle:
    manaleak34 wrote: »
    So yeah, I pretty much want to play this. However I'm hesitant to purchase it due to being able to just pass the Minimum requirements.

Anyone using 512 RAM let me know how it runs before I decide if I should get more RAM or not?

Getting more RAM wouldn't be a bad idea, but it will run on 512MB. Just finished it. It stuttered a couple of times, but otherwise ran smoothly and load times were damn fast (other than the first one, which was just fast). Guess your video card and CPU would be more important into the equation.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    One of the more fascinating things is how some of us may have resolved some of these puzzles slightly differently... I mean, everyone had to get to the same place the same way, but it's neat to see the variances...

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • Options
    theResetButtontheResetButton Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I placed one at the base of the wall, then I placed one high up on the wall above the pit in the side room. Then I went out to the main room, went through the portal, and opened up another portal below me while falling. That should give you enough height to get over.

theResetButton on
    Keep honking: I'm also honking.
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm stuck on advanced mission 18. The only thing I can do so far is get from the starting platform over to the middle using the double portal momentum jump thing, but I don't know what to do after that. There is a gap with some sewage and a portal wall on the other side, but there are no other available surfaces I can use to get above the wall.

Javen on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2007
    Played through it again with commentary.

CELEBRATORY CANDESCENCE

Echo on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    So basically, there are four componants to GLaDOS beyond the core module;
    the yellow observation module, the purple turret/don't gas people module, the red feral beast module, and the blue cake obsessed module.

No wonder the thing was nuts.

GLaDOS discussion
    I think they are meant to be different parts of the AI.
    Anger (RAAR RRARBARBAAAAAAARRRGH!)
    Curiosity (Oooh, what's that?)
    Morality (Bye bye = Bad stuff)
    Intellect (The bland, unbiased information of the cake recipe)

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    So I finished all the advanced chambers, but the challenges are really hard.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    BrilliantInsanityBrilliantInsanity Charleston, WVRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So, I want all of GLaDOS' voice files extracted so I can attempt to make them into ringtones...but I don't know how ;(

BrilliantInsanity on
    steam_sig.png

Sixty -40- on Origin for some ME3 goodness.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/brilliantinsanity/
  • Options
    AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Echo wrote: »
    CELEBRATORY CANDESCENCE

I sooooo want to sig that.

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited October 2007
    Cake recipe? You can find it...
    On the orange text screens. It's kind of scrambled though.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    So, here's some advice for the chamber 14 challenges.

Portals:
    Put a portal next to the platform that leads to the elevator. Run up the stairts and wait until they go back down again. Jump down and shoot the other portal (Or portal first and then jump), if that's your thing. You should jump out of the other portal high enough to reach the platform. Run to the elevator and you have gold.

Time:
    Run out, probably mixed with jumping, and shoot the first portal on the same spot as soon as possible. Shoot the other portal on the ceiling over the spot where the stairs come out. Run into the first portal, fall down, shoot another portal so you fly out of the first portal, land on the platform and run to the elevator.

Steps:
    Don't know, only got silver, but basically the same as the time one, only with shooting portals instead of running.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Not sure if it's been covered or not in this thread, but a friend said he heard that we'd see some companion cubes in the Valve store come Christmas. Just hearsay, though.

Adrenaline on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Adrenaline wrote: »

Not sure if it's been covered or not in this thread, but a friend said he heard that we'd see some companion cubes in the Valve store come Christmas. Just hearsay, though.

It was me, a Valve employee emailed me and told me. It's copied earlier in this thread.

It's not hearsay at all.

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Good lord I loved this game and every bit of it. I found the main game to be easy but I plan on going back and trying the advanced shit.

Bravo Valve. Bravo.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Has anybody else noticed
    on a few of the clipboards, the ones with FAILED stamped on them, there's an image of a skeleton that doesn't look human. I wonder what it is.

Lemming on
  • Options
    FallFall Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Portal is a great game and easily makes up for the fact that while TF2 looks amazing, its gameplay only appeals to people who can't stand skill being a key component of multiplayer games.

Fall on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

So freaking bought.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    The best thing about the ending song:
    I'm reading it as that GLaDOS is still running another Aperture branch; it's clear that the people before you haven't died, so she probably took them somewhere, since she couldn't gas them because of the morality chamber.

(Man, I hope so. That sinister AI was one of the most memorable characters I've played with, and definitely the most memorable of HL2.)

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

It was me, a Valve employee emailed me and told me. It's copied earlier in this thread.

It's not hearsay at all.

Okay then, wonderful.

Adrenaline on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Fall wrote: »
    Portal is a great game and easily makes up for the fact that while TF2 looks amazing, its gameplay only appeals to people who can't stand skill being a key component of multiplayer games.

Huh?

Adrenaline on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    Fall, shut the hell up. This isn't the TF2 thread.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Huh?

In other words, you can be competitive at tf2 without having to play it 18 hours a day. That bugs people. Apparently.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    jonxp wrote: »

Huh?

In other words, you can be competitive at tf2 without having to play it 18 hours a day. That bugs people. Apparently.

I figured that's what he was saying, I was more in disbelief. Oh well.

Adrenaline on
This discussion has been closed.