As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Which PS3 to get?

PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Games and Technology
[edit]What I learned so far:
-Buy the 60gb model because it's the only one with Hardware BC.
-5 Free Blurays deal lasts until Janurary
-SATA2 Laptop drives can swap out any ps3 model hard drive
-Buy the HDMI Cable seperately
-Buy PS2 MC card adapter if you need one
-All current games are regeion free, but developers can flip the region switch on any games the make in the future. They're just lazy.
-Buy a CDi
-PS3 Model Structure is confusing
[/edit]

Is there even a choice? I remember they lowered the price on some and released some other such thing, and that some places have bundles. But I'm not sure which to get.

PSP (used to) be 1.51
Xbox (used to) be all about the heatsink; now it's about the Falcon.

So what kind of PS3 should I be looking for?
I guess for the assholes out there I already own a Wii, 360, DS, PSP, GBA, Xbox, GC, PS2, GBASP, NGPC, Game Gear, SNES, Genesis, and a PC.

jCyyTSo.png
PikaPuff on

• prfntbtrprfntbtr Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I don't know if they are still readily available, but the 60GB model is the one that got price reduced and has full hardware backwards compatability. I'd look for that.

prfntbtr on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The features of the newer, more expensive version aren't worth it?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Get a CDi.

If you really want a PS3, get one of the 60GB NA model.

Couscous on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm glad you catered for the assholes like myself who would have recommended something else entirely... :P

What sorta cash do you have?

If you can buy whatever one you want, go for the US 60 Gigger, it is the most complete package.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, spring for the 60GB. The 80GB is $100 more for an old game, slightly more hard drive space (remember, memory is cheap) and worse backwards compatibility.

Though if you're willing to wait and don't care about BC, there's a $400, 40GB version coming out soon (with no BC whatsoever, but hey, it's cheaper).

You picked an interesting time to ask this question. :P

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited October 2007
    PikaPuff wrote: »

The only advantage the newer version has is the 20GB.

Couscous on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

You've got it backwards. The newer, more expensive versions have had features taken out.

Khavall on
    edited October 2007
    Khavall wrote: »

You've got it backwards. The newer, more expensive versions have had features taken out.

Well, the cheaper 40GB version has had features taken out too...

Hell, we're getting confused about this, and we're video game nerds. The mass market is going to get downright baffled.

cloudeagle on
    edited October 2007
    Ok, so there's nothing about chipsets or anything like that I have to worry about? Only BC and HDD sizes?

I knew the $600 lost the Hardware BC, but I thought it gained something. Like something about video. I'll go check.

edit- ah. too lazy.

Ok, so I want the 60gb, $500 model. What about bundles and deals? Can I still get 6 or whatever free blu-ray movies with it? Any other kinds of deals I can get? I have a costco card :roll:.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited October 2007
    Well the soon-to-be-newest cheaper versions have also had versions taken out.

The older more-expensive-than-the-cheaper-versions-but-not-the-most-expensive version has all the features

And the newer more expensive versions have had features taken out.

Unless you're in Europe, in which case there's an entirely different way of organizing this.

In Europe the newest cheaper version still has the least number of features.

The original mid-price version has the same features as the newer more expensive version in the US, but without 20gigs of HDD space.

Khavall on
    edited October 2007
    Ok, so there's nothing about chipsets or anything like that I have to worry about? Only BC and HDD sizes?

I knew the $600 lost the Hardware BC, but I thought it gained something. Like something about video. I'll go check.

Are you thinking about the new PSP which gained video-out?

Khavall on
    edited October 2007

Are you thinking about the new PSP which gained video-out?
    If you want to continue this path, then I'll say I think I was thinking about the first two models, how the cheaper model didn't have the ports.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited October 2007

edit- ah. too lazy.

Ok, so I want the 60gb, $500 model. What about bundles and deals? Can I still get 6 or whatever free blu-ray movies with it? Any other kinds of deals I can get? I have a costco card :roll:.

Chipsets are the same, BC varies widely, but there are other differences such as the number of USB ports (the 40GB has fewer, two I think).

The system seems pretty reliable on the whole, at least moreso than the PS2 and 360. Craigslist could get you some decent deals if you're willing to go used. I think the five blu-ray movies thing is still in effect if you buy new, though you have to pick certain movies from a list.

cloudeagle on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

The older more-expensive-than-the-cheaper-versions-but-not-the-most-expensive version has all the features

Unless you're in Europe, in which case there's an entirely different way of organizing this.

The original mid-price version has the same features as the newer more expensive version in the US, but without 20gigs of HDD space.

But currently in England the original (only) version is also simultaneously the most expensive and the cheapest, the 60Gig version, and not the decent US 60Gig with full backwards compatibility, but software partial backwards compatability.

Now there will soon be a 40Gig cheaper version with less features, ie no BC at all, or memory stick card readers (and no wireless? Not sure on that).

And the Japanese have different versions too, I think.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    And then, of course, there's the rumored 160GB PS3 with full BC and a Dualshock 3 to think about. Of course, God knows how much it costs or if/when it comes out.

Lynx on
    edited October 2007
    Oh right, I forgot about the older cheaper model with who even fucking knows for features anymore.

Why the fuck do we need this many models.

Khavall on
    edited October 2007

But currently in England the original (only) version is also simultaneously the most expensive and the cheapest, the 60Gig version, and not the decent US 60Gig with full backwards compatibility, but software partial backwards compatability.

Now there will soon be a 40Gig cheaper version with less features, ie no BC at all, or memory stick card readers (and no wireless? Not sure on that).

Yeah, the "newest cheaper version" as the 40gig, and the "Original mid-price version" was the 60gig. I guess it's not mid-price there though. whoops. Goddammit, I thought I had it all figured out there.

Khavall on
    edited October 2007
    Oh right, I forgot about the older cheaper model with who even fucking knows for features anymore.

Why the fuck do we need this many models.

Because five different models is next-gen. For some reason.

cloudeagle on
    edited October 2007
    Simple economics teach you to make different models available to sell. It justifies the cost of the more expensive one. If people are dumb enough to buy the cheaper one, well, win win.

The example used in my high school was two vacuums, exactly the same, cost the same to make, but a dip switch is turned off in one, removing features, and sold as a cheaper model.

Turns out this idea is insanely stupid for consoles.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited October 2007
    Simple economics teach you to make different models available to sell. It justifies the cost of the more expensive one. If people are dumb enough to buy the cheaper one, well, win win.

The example used in my high school was two vacuums, exactly the same, cost the same to make, but a dip switch is turned off in one, removing features, and sold as a cheaper model.

Turns out this idea is insanely stupid for consoles.

It doesn't make sense when you are losing a lot of money already on the consoles.

Couscous on
    edited October 2007
    Also I think it's dumb because the newer versions are the gimped ones. Sony's trying to retroactively create artificially inflated demand.

Khavall on
    edited October 2007
    http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=280

Mother fucker. Deal ended sept 30th, apparently. Now to check out CAG.

edit- wewt, the deal was reneewed from oct to janurary. http://www.bluraysavings.com/

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited October 2007
    Also I think it's dumb because the newer versions are the gimped ones. Sony's trying to retroactively create artificially inflated demand.
    That's different. That's streamlining and cutting out the fat, in an attempt to lower production costs.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I might wait a bit on getting a PS3 honestly. There seem to be a lot of fluctuations with pricing and various system specs going on right now. It would suck to get something now and have it be offered at a cheaper price or improved upon later. Thats just me though.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
    edited October 2007
    I have a timelimit. Nothing new or rumored will be out in tme.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited October 2007

And after that time limit you will never ever ever ever be allowed to purchase a PS3 for the remainder of your life?

cloudeagle on
    edited October 2007
    Time limit because of the holidays I'm guessing?

If that is the case, I would go for the 60 gig setup.

Rehab on
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    There is one possible benefit to getting the $400 40-giger, less heat, but you get that at the expense of BC. (If you look at the pictures the 40-giger has less vent holes and according to the FCC is rated at 3 amps instead of 3.2 amps, Thats about 22 watts different.)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2007
    get the 60 gig, US model. It is the best one they have made thus far, the best of those officially announced that has not been made yet, and will arguably remain the best with regards to BC through the life of the console.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    edited October 2007
    What accessories do I need to consider now?

-2nd controller? Wait till DS3?
    -BC controller adapters? What's needed to play GHII, DDR, and other peripheral games?
    -HDMI Cable? Included?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This little table from Wikipedia summarise well the differences in beetween each model
    ps3modelsnt8.jpg

As others already pointed out, the best PS3 value avaible right now is the north american 60GB model. Shouldnt be too hard to find, they're is still many of them in stores in my town.

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
    edited October 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »

And after that time limit you will never ever ever ever be allowed to purchase a PS3 for the remainder of your life?

Are you trying to tell me to buy two PS3's? Possibly 3?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    syndalis wrote: »
    get the 60 gig, US model. It is the best one they have made thus far, the best of those officially announced that has not been made yet, and will arguably remain the best with regards to BC through the life of the console

I submit that this is the definitive answer to your query.

Any other capability of the PS3 can be added on: you can buy a memory stick reader, a wireless network bridge, you can upgrade the hard drive.

But you cannot "add-in" backward compatibility.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

No, he's telling you to wait until a better model is out. And if it's a holiday thing. . .wait until Christmas '08.

Lynx on
  • VaLiantineVaLiantine Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    By the time I get a job, I fear there will be no more 60GB PS3s. I have a nice size PS2 backlog I want to get out and I don't have to have a gimped experience with various bugs and glitches.

VaLiantine on
  • ValernosValernos Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Yeah, the "newest cheaper version" as the 40gig, and the "Original mid-price version" was the 60gig. I guess it's not mid-price there though. whoops. Goddammit, I thought I had it all figured out there.

Golded for comedy.

Valernos on
    edited October 2007
    Was that really necessary?

Rehab on
    edited October 2007
    Lynx wrote: »

No, he's telling you to wait until a better model is out. And if it's a holiday thing. . .wait until Christmas '08.
    What better model? The current best is the 60gb, and nothing rumored is beating that package yet, am I correct?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited October 2007
    Lynx wrote: »

What better model? The current best is the 60gb, and nothing rumored is beating that package yet, am I correct?

There is a current rumor of some form of elite PS3. There isn't much evidence for it yet.

Couscous on
    edited October 2007
    Any reliable site suggestions for $5 HDMI cables or whatnot?

hm, play=asia has a $8 3m cable and a $6 2m cable.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png