As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Definition of "Christian"

1235»

• Options
    VBakesVBakes Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I have to say, until they all agree on one definition Im gonna go with its not definable. They all say one thing and do another in my experience. And just come up with excuses for it later.

My freshman sem teacher told us a story about how his wife. She works at an abortion clinic here in MA, apparently one of the higher ups there. A certain politician, who he would not name no matter how much I asked, who was in the past was very vocally against abortion, came in to get one. When his wife asked "Isnt this against your religion?" she said, completely serious "Oh I asked God, and he said it was ok."

VBakes on
    Therman Murman?......Jesus.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, I think that the only alternative to just saying that everyone who says he's a Christian is a Christian is to resign yourself to saying something like, "X is/isn't a Christian based on Y's definition". Because every person defines it differently, and as has been pointed out, there's no single objective definition to fall back on.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Zalbinion wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Why don't we have this discussion about Buddhists, Muslims, Jews, Hindus or any organized religion? There are always disagreements, and half the time most dogma is ignored for what's practical or what local culture and custom is.

Well, to be devil's advocate, two* of the four religions you mentioned have very clear-cut definitions of their membership (and I just don't know enough about Hinduism and Buddhism to say anything).

*Judaism: if your mom's Jewish
    *Islam: if you say "there is no god except Allah and Mohammed is his prophet."
    Islam is exactly as monolithic as Christianity. Also, the whole Taliban thing as a little bit more complicated than "terrorists lol"

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2007
    threadexampleab3.jpg

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
This discussion has been closed.